Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Car and Driver comparison test!

Big-Box Sports Cars

(their title, not mine)

Their ranking:

1) Cadillac SRX V-8
    2) Cayenne S
    3) Infiniti FX45
    4) VW Touareg V-8

It is in the current Car and Driver (November) which I received today. It is not online yet. I will post a link when it becomes available. The Cayenne missed out on the top spot because of price; over $14k more than the Caddy, the next most expensive. The comparison of chassis and handling between the VW and Cayenne is interesting. Quite a different outcome with essentially the same components.

Re: Car and Driver comparison test!

Doesn't suprise me that the Cayenne S recieved a higher ranking than the Touraeg in the comparo, they share many of the same components but are two different cars geared towards two different types of drivers. The Touraeg is for a younger family who just wants something "nice", gets them from point A. to point B. in simple understated luxury, and has a little bit of push to it. The Cayenne driver wants the best of the best and more than likely money is not an object, they want the great resale value that inherently comes with a Porsche, and most of all they want the high performance that comes with a Porsche. The engine is tuned differently and so is the suspension for a sportier feel and so on and so on(I think everyone here has an understanding of what I am talking about?).
    Not to sound like a jerk, but the editors at car and driver seem to only care about the short term, meaning that they picked the SRX over the rest of the competition in the comparo because they felt it was the cheapest(aren't all cadillacs!?) like you mentioned, and the better intermediate value for the buck.
    We already see that they dont look at the long term, the Caddy will loose more(maybe even half?) of its value in 2 years than the Cayenne will loose in 6 or 7 years maybe even more? Porsches always maintain their value better than any car on the market. My point is that the Cayenne should have been number one(but really like I really car about anything "Car and Driver" has to say) and that you really can't compare a Caddy to a Porsche.Many American editors are more about "value" than satisfaction.

Does anybody own the new Cadillac SRX? I might be interested but I don't know how it performs and how large the interior is. Over here in Germany we don't get the SRX officially, only grey import.

Here is a full review of the SRX from the September Car and Driver: web page. The comparison should be online shortly as well. I thought the comparison was fair. Cost is a significant factor for anyone so it shouldn't be underestimated. We all want fair value for our money. Pricing wasn't their only complaint either. They also picked on the Cayenne for the standard S interior vinyl (I agree; I switched to leather after I saw it) and some of the controls, all fair points I thought.

It just depends on what your priorities are, including how significant a factor cost is to you. Many wouldn't find the Cayenne's strong suit, it's outstanding handling and solid chassis, to be significant enough for the price Porsche is asking.

The SRX may be coming your way. This article in Autoweek suggests the SRX is going global: web page

Quote:
    Not to sound like a jerk, but the editors at car and driver seem to only care about the short term, meaning that they picked the SRX over the rest of the competition in the comparo because they felt it was the cheapest(aren't all cadillacs!?) like you mentioned, and the better intermediate value for the buck.

Well in you father's line of business, you count on people who care only for the short term , don't you ? I doubt you'll be still owning any of the car's in YOUR family's stable two years from now. BTW, MBZ says the average AMG customer switches cars every 18 months . Probably can say the same of most of the owners of any of the cars talked about on this site.

Gary, there are two reasons why I'd prefer a Cadillac over the Cayenne: price tag and interior room space. We need a SUV to move at least 6 people (me, my wife, two kids, grandma and grandpa) and the Cayenne can't do that.
    We always have a Lincoln Navigator as a loaner during our annual US vacations and despite the bad interior quality (yes, it looks cheap) the Navigator is the perfect family SUV.
    The Cayenne has less trunk space than our ML55 (we tried it!) and the ML55 is already way to small for us. I agree that the Cayenne has more leg room in the rear compartment but what really is important to us is room for 6 people plus luggage. In Europe, we usually travel by car because my wife hates flying and it takes for example only 10 hours from our home to the Cote d'Azur.

Last night my wife and I test drove a loaded Touareg V8 and a loaded Cayenne S (incl. full "smooth leather" + wood). The major differences for me were:

Interior: Cayenne more refined/elegant, Touareg more sporty/rugged.

Handling: Cayenne a bit more nimble and feels a bit lighter (more like a sedan, less like an suv)

Acceleration: Cayenne faster but not dramatically. Touareg has plenty of torquey feel.

I personally like the way the Touareg looks, my wife likes the way the Cayenne looks (she likes the turbo front a lot).

Now if you option out the Cayenne to match a loaded Touareg, you're looking at approximately 20K. With the relative discounts available (1k on Touareg, 5k on Cayenne) the difference is now 16k.

So aside from the subjectiveness of the interior and exterior looks, is it worth 16k for slightly better handling, acceleration, and the Porsche name? That's what we're discussing now.

Also bear in mind the facilities you'll be visiting for services and such. Our local Porsche dealer always has a loan car for us when we bring our car in, even for an oil change. The last time I had a Volkswagon, I had to have somebody pick me up and drop me off or wait until the car was ready. There is something to be said for the level of service you receive with regard to the badge on your vehicle. The Toureag is nice, but the Cayenne turns heads.

>So aside from the subjectiveness of the interior and exterior looks, is it worth 16k for slightly better handling, acceleration, and the Porsche name?<

there is never a 16K diff between a simular loaded and powered touareg/cayenne. you have to check lists closely and find many option as VW extra what pursch allready have.
    You maybe come on 7K diff max.

but beside this - and - if it would be a 16K difference I would allways go for the Pursch cuz suspension, brakes and engine are Pursch parts and THE parts who makes the diff between a Pursch and any other car. wait 1, 2 years and check the prices from used Touaregs and Cayennes...

Sorry Cay. Here in the states that's the difference between a fully loaded Treg V8 and a similarly loaded Cayenne S including a heavier Cayenne discount. Went thru the Cayenne model guide very carefully.

Rob

Quote:
    Sorry Cay. Here in the states that's the difference between a fully loaded Treg V8 and a similarly loaded Cayenne S including a heavier Cayenne discount. Went thru the Cayenne model guide very carefully.

Rob

Hi Rob,

than you US guys have other prices than here. Than the Touareg is total overprized here!! A "nude" S have a 60k euro sticker here and in the US its offered around mid $50K - so the VW must be very cheap in your country.

Hmm its strange but not first time euro manufacturers cheats
    euro customers with overpricing.

Wow. If I were in Germany my decision of whether to buy the TReg or Cayenne would be easy.

This test is online now: Car and Driver Comparison Test

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    802917 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448456 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265992 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89995 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6477 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885520 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832736 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM