Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

REAR WINGS - with or without ?

Personally, I think those nasty ugly things that stick out of the back of the car do a horrible injustice to the lines of any car - let alone one as beautiful as the 997.

Infact, this is one of the main reasons I am not interested in getting the GT2/3 / Turbo.

So what do you guys think of REAR Wings? Do you like them - or do you think they should remain on those ghastly souped up Suburus.

Re: REAR WINGS - with or without ?

If a performance car needs them then I say 'yes' - but there are good spoilers and bad ones... and that's a bad one - hadn't seen that pic before, let's just hope that particular design is for testing purposes.. although I fear not.....

Yoda say "This wing not I like..."

Well I love the rear wing!

But hell .. I'm trading in my Jap Happy Ricermobile Skyline for my new 997 in March..

(and its going to have a silly wing on the back when it arrives!)

So maybe its just me!

...Add

That is one ugly wing. The beauty of the 997S is the simple and clean design of it and no performance wise it does not need it. The 997S has what it's need as it's designed by the german engineers. The car can do over 180 the way it is why would you want more than that. I stayed away from Turbos and GT3 for one reason, the ugly wing. The Turbo spolier is not as bad as the GT3 but the new 997TT will have an obnoxious looking spolier as well, but that will be the King of the Road who cares what the spolier looks like on that beast

i hope they will go back to the 993 turbo style wing!! that was the god of all wings ever..

If they were *functional* in the non-Autobahned USA they would unbolt and store in the garage when you get back from the track.

If they were functional for the track they'd probably look differently too.

So, since none of the above are possible, it's clear they are just for show. Like leaving your lift ticket on your ski parka, or bumper sticker saying your kid's on the honor roll.

So you're driving around with a needless big decorative bulge on an already undisputedly fantastic car which sends a message to the general motoring public which is not that great a message to send.

If you're 20 and into cars and crusing for chicks and all your friends have wings then you're probaby doing the right thing; that's great IMHO.

It says one word to me, and that word is "GOOFY". Oh yeah, I forgot, there's also "CORNBALL" and "CHEESY". And the last two, you can alternate, i.e. "CORNY" and "CHEESEBALL".
    Do you get a Porsche logo'd toupe' and a bottle of "Just for Men" Moustache dye with the purchase of the aero kit?

O.K., that's as hard hitting a sarcastic rant I'm likely to get away with without getting tossed off the forum!! LOL Just having fun!!

There's alot of things that you see on real race cars that are extremely functional, but ugly as socks on a chicken. When it's a race car, it's excusable, as function and checkered flags are ALL that matter in the end. But on a road-going car, it's a different paradigm. Think about it, if function were king for all performance cars, we'd all be strolling around the streets in cars that looked like Moslers and Chaparrals. Yuck.

If all 997's came with that wing standard, mandatory, I'd have to find something else to drive....

That wing is fugly. If you are racing on a track at speeds where a wing is functional and rules allow etc., then hell yeah. But to add it to a car that already has a retractable spoiler like the 997? And furthermore.....well, pretty much what 69bossnine said.

This one's a great wing functionality shot.

But I Do kinda like the whaletail from this era since the spoiler/wing enclosed the necessary engine components.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Do you get a Porsche logo'd toupe' and a bottle of "Just for Men" Moustache dye with the purchase of the aero kit?

LOLOLOLOL

LMAO!

Quote:
    MMD said:

But I Do kinda like the whaletail from this era since the spoiler/wing enclosed the necessary engine components.

This cracked me up. I like that whaletail from that era as well, but that is it for me. I don't care for the others.

This shot may be of invaluable aid in helping us understand wing psychopathology:

Absolutely brilliant MMD!!

Paris Hilton says:

"Big obnoxious wings are HOT......can I get one of those 997's in pink with a big wing, and gemstone dash trim?? That would be HOT...."

This is kinda fun, and I could use some fun today.....

Yeah, I betcha it's seriously relevant.

Speaking of fun. This one's Off topic but that's only because they didn't get to building the wing yet.

LOL!! MMD - do me a favor - post this on Rennlist.

Quote:
    mish said:
    Personally, I think those nasty ugly things that stick out of the back of the car do a horrible injustice to the lines of any car - let alone one as beautiful as the 997.

Infact, this is one of the main reasons I am not interested in getting the GT2/3 / Turbo.

So what do you guys think of REAR Wings? Do you like them - or do you think they should remain on those ghastly souped up Suburus.

Give me a retractable wing any day, over any fixed wing design.....

Quote:
    MMD said:

That was great.

Wings are for kids, sorry mon

Quote:
    69bossnine said:If all 997's came with that wing standard, mandatory, I'd have to find something else to drive....

Porsche could make a lot more money if they made that ugly wing standard and charged $5000 to delete it.

LowPolarMoment - don't give them any more ideas about stupid little things they can charge you for..

Quote:
    mish said:

Actually many Subarus come with those stock. I guess from one point of view they look like unnatural add ons. However, if without one you have rear end lift, a wing is a very natural addition. I think the retractable spoiler on a 911 is unnatural because the only reason it's retractable is for looks. On most sedans like the Subaru, the rear wing works and leads to the car being more stable at speed, however I don't think it's too necessary outside of the track. However the rear of the 911 is very bad in terms of lift. Drive a 911 without the retractable rear spoiler and one with it and you'll notice the difference at freeway speeds, they are very functional, even on public highways. The difference between a retractable one and the fixed big wing will be less noticeable. My opinion is that the fixed ones still work better and if we know we need some sort of lift reducer then just put a wing on and don't try to cover it up with retractability. To me that's no different than rice rockets with gull wing doors or neon lights. We know what we need from an engineering stand point, making it retractable is a gag. I give a big for wings.

Quote:
    Yargk said:
    Quote:
    mish said:

Actually many Subarus come with those stock. I guess from one point of view they look like unnatural add ons. However, if without one you have rear end lift, a wing is a very natural addition. I think the retractable spoiler on a 911 is unnatural because the only reason it's retractable is for looks. On most sedans like the Subaru, the rear wing works and leads to the car being more stable at speed, however I don't think it's too necessary outside of the track. However the rear of the 911 is very bad in terms of lift. Drive a 911 without the retractable rear spoiler and one with it and you'll notice the difference at freeway speeds, they are very functional, even on public highways. The difference between a retractable one and the fixed big wing will be less noticeable. My opinion is that the fixed ones still work better and if we know we need some sort of lift reducer then just put a wing on and don't try to cover it up with retractability. To me that's no different than rice rockets with gull wing doors or neon lights. We know what we need from an engineering stand point, making it retractable is a gag. I give a big for wings.

So what you're saying is, if I may distill your post a bit..."be proud to be ugly, because ugly is more functional.."???

Ahhh, nonsense. It's just posing and posturing to look more "serious" than the guy with the retractable deally, in my opinion. Trying to be a no-nonsense rebellious no-frills race guy in a street car. Go ahead and bolt in a carbon-fiber racing bucket, and install an 8-point cage whilst you're at it.

The retractable wing gets the job done on the street, and on most tracks, and looks INFINITELY BETTER when there's no job to be done. It's the best of both worlds.

If yours is purely a track car, then by all means, bolt whatever monstrosity works best to the deck of your car. But on the street, spare me the hard-core racer "it works a bit better, not that I'll ever need it" posing.

Quote:
    Atzporsche said:
    i hope they will go back to the 993 turbo style wing!! that was the god of all wings ever..

Totaly agree! best wing ever

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804138 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448755 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266389 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90177 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6774 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886112 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834616 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM