Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Grand Prix of China

Oct 16, 2005
    A dream come true for his dad

World champion Alonso mirrors his father's passion for racing

LONDON - THE Hollywood latin looks. The accolades and attention.

He has plenty of money, but Fernando Alonso once had to work as a mechanic for young drivers to help support his go-kart hobby. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

Alonso makes it a double

Fernando Alonso, the 24-year-old Spaniard who became the sport's youngest champion in Brazil last month, has it all.

It has been a meteoric rise for a man who only six years ago introduced himself to Formula One by turning on the television.

'I think the first race I saw was in 1999 with Mika Hakkinen or Michael Schumacher,' he admitted. 'I was never certain that I could become a Formula One driver. Until a few years ago, I thought I would be a go-kart mechanic.'

But racing was always in his blood, because of his father Jose Luis Alonso.

As a boy in the tiny town of Oviedo, Jose dreamed of go-kart racing in the Spanish countryside. Unable to afford the equipment, he did the next best thing - he looked to his children.

When his first child Lorena turned eight, Jose, who worked as an explosives expert at local quarries and, at night, would work on his own go-kart in a shop behind the house, entered her into local competitions. It was a complete failure. She just was not interested.

So Jose turned to her three-year-old brother, Fernando, modifying the large pedals on the family go-kart to fit the boy's feet.

'At the beginning it was just a hobby. But when he was five or six years old, it was clear that he was outshining other children of his age,' Jose said.

Before his seventh birthday, the boy who would be world champion had already earned his first junior victory by winning the first event he entered. He then won the seven remaining races to take the title.

Because he also managed good marks at school, his mother had little objection to him travelling from circuit to circuit. For the next three years, Fernando won regional contests, beating older boys with sponsors.

'I have always been the youngest in every category. Perhaps because of that, it impresses me less than it should,' Fernando said, referring to his current title of youngest Formula One champion.

But as the karting races got bigger, and the distances to circuits increased, money became an issue.

'We could not afford to send Fernando into higher competitions,' said Jose. 'He was always aware of the effort made by the whole family - me going to all the races as a mechanic, his mother putting up with her son being away every weekend, and the money.

'The only way of carrying on was for someone to spot him as a future talent.'

In 1993, before he turned 12, Fernando was spotted by Genis Marco, the owner of Genikart, a company which imported motors.

He won the Spanish championship with them in 1994, and then began travelling throughout Europe, taking part in more competitive karting leagues.

Father and son had to make trips of over 2,000km in their old Peugeot 405 diesel.

'We used to leave on Thursday after school. While I was driving, Fernando was asleep in the back. When the races finished on Sunday, there was another 18- to 20-hour journey back to Oviedo so that Fernando could start school on Tuesday morning,' said Jose.

To offset the cost of the travels - despite extra help from IAME, a brand name in the sport - Alonso earned cash as a mechanic for younger drivers.

'It was useful to earn some money to help out,' he said on his website.

In 1996, Alonso became the World Junior Karting champion and then won the Spanish and Italian legs of the championship the following year.

After six wins and nine pole positions in 1999 in Formula Nissan, he received a chance to test a Formula One car.

On Dec 13, 2000, in the pouring rain at a Spanish circuit, Fernando took his test alongside six other potential drivers.

'At the end of the day, Alonso was by far the fastest,' said Cesare Florio, ex-sporting director for Lancia, Ferrari, Ligier, Prost and Minardi.

'You could see that he had everything - coolness, concentration, intelligence - gifts that, together with talent, go to make a champion.'

Florio had a 10-year contract drawn up on the spot, 'before word got around about Fernando and someone stole him from us'.

After a stint in Formula 3000, Fernando moved up to Formula One as a test driver and then full-time driver in 2003, winning his first race in Hungary with Renault at 22 years and 16 days, the youngest race winner in the sport.

After three third places and one second in 2004, 2005 has been his breakout year.

His life is hardly the same. Earlier this year, his family home was besieged by the media as his popularity soared.

To get away from it all, he purchased a home in sleepy Oxford, England, partly to be close to the Renault factory.

'It's impossible to live in Spain because the people recognise me too much, and they get crazy,' said Alonso, a big fan of soccer club Real Madrid.

When probed about his success, he always turns to what matters most, his family.

He said: 'My parents both worked, and I spent a good part of their wages on my karting. The only way to pay for their effort was to win races. Seeing my father's face after every win is the best reward.'

Oct 17, 2005
    MOTOR RACING
    Alonso makes it a double

SHANGHAI - IT WAS the perfect ending to the perfect season.

With the drivers' world title already in the bag and starting in pole position, Fernando Alonso won the the Chinese Grand Prix to hand Renault their first Formula One constructors' title yesterday.

McLaren's Kimi Raikkonen finished second, his team's hopes draining away after Colombian Juan Pablo Montoya hit a loose manhole cover and retired less than halfway through the race.

Renault finished the 19-race season - the sport's longest - with 191 points to McLaren's 182.

The victory was the seventh of a phenomenal season for the 24-year-old Alonso, allowing him to equal Raikkonen's haul.

McLaren had been hot favourites to pip their rivals after winning the last six races. But Alonso made sure Renault took the honours with a workmanlike drive that made a mockery of claims that McLaren had the fastest car on the grid.

It was a remarkable achievement for Renault, whose boss Flavio Briatore has taken them from back-of-the-grid strugglers to their current level in just four years.

Said Alonso: 'All weekend has been perfect. This was probably my easiest race this year.

'I'm a little bit frustrated at only winning seven races as the car could easily have won 10 or 11.

' For the team, it has been a fantastic season.'

Renault arrived in China with a two-point lead and could breathe easy for most of a race interrupted by two safety-car periods.

The turning point in a knife-edge battle between the two teams who have dominated the season came when Montoya, following Raikkonen closely in fourth place, ran over a loose drain cover.

He made two stops to try and fix the damage and then drove into the pits and got out of the car on the 25th lap of the 56-lap race.

Said Raikkonen: 'The car wasn't quick enough. It got quicker and quicker and at the end was perfect. Unfortunately, it came about 40 laps too late.

'The Renault was too quick, so all compliments to them. Next year, we will try again.'

Renault's Italian driver Giancarlo Fisichella finished fourth behind Toyota's Ralf Schumacher.

Austrian Christian Klien was fifth for Red Bull, with Brazilian Felipe Massa sixth for Sauber.

Australian Mark Webber was seventh in a Williams and Briton Jenson Button took the final point for BAR.

Ferrari's seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher was the first to end the 2005 season, colliding with Minardi's Christijan Albers on the way to the starting grid and spinning off during the race when following the safety car.

An investigation by the stewards said Schumacher, 36, was responsible for the crash, but he escaped with a written reprimand.

'The weird ending pretty much sums up our season,' he said dejectedly. 'The only positive thing is that I am third in the championship.

'Let's look ahead to putting things right next season.'

His team-mate, Rubens Barrichello, also had a forgettable day in his last drive for Ferrari. The Brazilian, who will move to BAR-Honda after six years at the Italian team, finished 12th and eighth in the overall standings.

'A sad day,' he said. 'But I want to thank everyone in the team. We have had fantastic years.'

The safety car, called out for six laps as marshals scrambled to fix the damaged drain cover that wrecked Montoya's race, was back in action on lap 30 after Narain Karthikeyan wrecked his Jordan coming out of turn 13, leaving debris scattered across the track.

The race was Jordan's 250th and last under that name. The team founded by Irishman Eddie Jordan will return as Midland next year.

It was also the last for BAR, who will be reborn as a wholly-owned Honda team, and Sauber, who have been bought by Williams' departing engine partners BMW. -- REUTERS, AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    Fisi wasn't driving into the pits slowly to hold up the other cars. He was driving into the pits slowly so he wouldn't get to the Renault pit before Alonso left.

Fisi served a Drive Through Penalty for obstructive driving. Whether his intention was to slow down to allow Alonso to vacate the Renault pitstop area or not, it had the same effect as delaying the cars behind him. Did Flavio order this over the pit-to-car radio for this reason using Alonso as an excuse? I wouldn't put it beyond him.

Fisi is a very loyal driver who would never disobey orders from Flavio. If Flavio could get any advantage, he would take it with both hands. I don't doubt Fisi's integrity - he's an honourable man. Flavio? Now that's a different story entirely.

wow, thanks avantgarde for that post about his start as a kid and meteorical progress to F1 champion, very cool reading

if i am Alonso i will suggest Pat Symonds to get a better sweatproof! this guy never stop he sweat no matter summer or winter, and not very nice when he hug his drivers !

look he is passing out !!

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    wow, thanks avantgarde for that post about his start as a kid and meteorical progress to F1 champion, very cool reading

Did you remember to bring a large kitchen roll while reading or did you end up soiling yourself?

By the way, I like the phrase you use: "Meteorical progress".
    Very fitting. Aren't meteors small pieces of useless rock, debris and leftovers from real stars... that light up the sky for a brief moment, then burn up quickly as they thunder towards the ground and their inevitable demise....?

Yup, he truly is a meteor.

Quote:
    bazza said:
    if i am Alonso i will suggest Pat Symonds to get a better sweatproof! this guy never stop he sweat no matter summer or winter, and not very nice when he hug his drivers !

Maybe , but the Pat Symonds you showed in the photograph you attached to your next post is Flavio Briatore.

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Very fitting. Aren't meteors small pieces of useless rock, debris and leftovers from real stars... that light up the sky for a brief moment, then burn up quickly as they thunder towards the ground and their inevitable demise....?

Funny, did you know that the price by weight of a meteorite (meteor is just the phenomena you see in the sky as a streak of light, not the object) is by far more expensive than platinum or any other metal on earth? several thousands morer expensive than gold per gram... yep, like you said, he truly is a meteor!!

Also, they are not leftover pieces of stars, but from solid heavenly bodies such as asteroids, planes, moons, comets, etc

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

Funny, did you know that the price by weight of a meteorite (meteor is just the phenomena you see in the sky as a streak of light, not the object) is by far more expensive than platinum or any other metal on earth? several thousands morer expensive than gold per gram... yep, like you said, he truly is a meteor!!

Also, they are not leftover pieces of stars, but from solid heavenly bodies such as asteroids, planes, moons, comets, etc

Is that why he wears gold shoes? We are glad to know he was not headed for Ru Pauls post race garage sale.

What I want to know is, who dares sell his family life insurance? His dad works with explosives and his son races at 200mph. What does mom do, nuclear waste removal?

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    Fisi wasn't driving into the pits slowly to hold up the other cars. He was driving into the pits slowly so he wouldn't get to the Renault pit before Alonso left.

Fisi served a Drive Through Penalty for obstructive driving. Whether his intention was to slow down to allow Alonso to vacate the Renault pitstop area or not, it had the same effect as delaying the cars behind him. Did Flavio order this over the pit-to-car radio for this reason using Alonso as an excuse? I wouldn't put it beyond him.

Fisi is a very loyal driver who would never disobey orders from Flavio. If Flavio could get any advantage, he would take it with both hands. I don't doubt Fisi's integrity - he's an honourable man. Flavio? Now that's a different story entirely.

If Flavio had ordered it, we all would have heard it. I don't think anyone had to tell Fisi that two cars can't occupy the same space at the same time. His drive through penalty was based on what he did, not on why he did it. I think Renault already had the championship in the bag when it happened.

Oct 15, 2005
    I'm the best driver, insists Alonso

SHANGHAI - RENAULT'S Fernando Alonso, the world champion, is upset over suggestions that he is not the best driver this season, as McLaren's Kimi Raikkonen has seven wins to the Spaniard's six.

A dream come true for his dad

Alonso, 24, told the Formula One.com website: 'The champion is the one that scores the most points, like Michael Schumacher has done the previous years.'

However, the Spaniard appears to have glossed over the fact that in each of the German's seven victorious campaigns, he had led the race victory count.

Still, Alonso said: 'I hope to be able to gain several titles, then nobody doubts it anymore.'

He also insisted that his achievements are all the more special as McLaren have been the quickest car this season.

'I am not at all disappointed (to win less races). I am extremely happy to win the championship with the second-quickest car,' he said.

Meanwhile, the speed, money and glamour of F1 racing seems to be wearing off in Shanghai this season.

Although it is one of the most important events on the annual sports calendar of China's wealthiest city, ticket sales for the season-ending Chinese Grand Prix are down sharply from last year's debut.

Last season, organisers sold 150,000 tickets for race day, and some 260,000 spectators showed up during the three-day event.

Equalling those sales looks increasingly unlikely ahead of tomorrow's race, where McLaren and Renault will vie for the constructors' title.

During yesterday's practice, the grandstand was full of empty seats.

Said Yu Zhifei, general manager of the Shanghai International Circuit: 'The sales figure so far indicates that around 110,000 spectators will attend the main race day on Sunday.'

One reason for the decline is the high prices, with tickets ranging from 370 yuan (S$79) to 3,980 yuan. In a city where white-collar monthly salaries average 6,000 yuan, the prices put the race beyond most people's means.

Transportation arrangements were also a major problem last year, as organisers eager to ease congestion banned taxis and personal cars, but failed to provide enough shuttles. -- AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

Oct 18, 2005
    MOTOR RACING
    Ferrari, McLaren look ahead

SHANGHAI - AS RENAULT celebrate their first Formula One constructors' title, rivals Ferrari and McLaren remain defiant and confident they will return stronger and better.

NO WHIMPERING: We did okay, says Kimi Raikkonen's McLaren team boss, despite losing out on both F1 titles. -- AFP

Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher insists Ferrari have what it takes to re-establish themselves as the leading team next season.

Ferrari won 15 of the 18 races last year en route to the German's seventh driver's title. But McLaren and Renault were the dominant force this season with Fernando Alonso finishing 71 points ahead of his predecessor.

Schumacher told his website: 'When you consider that we dominated last season and other teams managed to leap ahead of us this year, then there is no reason to believe we cannot do the same and be the best in 2006.

'We will work hard in the winter to achieve our target. This team is a class outfit and nothing has changed in that respect. We have a new challenge now and everyone, especially me, is looking forward to it.'

He is contracted at Ferrari for just one more season but has given no indication of wanting to retire.

McLaren boss Ron Dennis was less disappointed than Schumacher regarding the concluded season.

'We're not going to go out of this paddock... with our chins on our feet,' he said. 'We've done a pretty good job, we deserve the criticism that we level at ourselves, but we are hardly dismal failures.'

McLaren ended the season with 10 wins, two more than Renault, but otherwise empty-handed.

'We can't go away feeling that we've failed massively because if you come to McLaren and you see our corporate overview, the vision statement for McLaren Racing is to compete in and win every grand prix,' Dennis said.

'It doesn't say win world championships. It says enter every world championship race and win it.

'We recognise the importance of world championships and constructors' titles but we can hardly go away from here saying that we've failed miserably,' he added.

McLaren and Renault were in a class of their own all year.

They won every race except the six-car US Grand Prix won by Ferrari after the Michelin-equipped teams withdrew over tyre-safety concerns.

There was no doubt that McLaren had the faster car for much of the championship. But they paid the price for a lack of reliability and the other teams' inability to take points away from Renault.

Dennis said his team should also have been more aggressive with their new car early in the season, when Alonso built up his comfortable points cushion.

'We were too cautious in the first four grands prix,' he said.

'With the benefit of hindsight, we could have been more aggressive in the introduction of developments both on the car and engine that came in Spain.'

Dennis insisted that 'overall the performance of our cars has been good'. -- REUTERS, AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

Quote:
    Avantgarde said:
    Oct 15, 2005

SHANGHAI - RENAULT'S Fernando Alonso, the world champion, is upset over suggestions that he is not the best driver this season, as McLaren's Kimi Raikkonen has seven wins to the Spaniard's six.

Alonso won 7 races this season, the same number as Kimi.

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    Quote:
    Avantgarde said:
    Oct 15, 2005

Yeah, I wondered by such a mistake in the article, they were tied by 7 wins. Alonso also had more poles tha Kimi and more podiums.

Pretty sad that he has to insist HIMSELF, that he is the best driver after becoming world champion.
    No matter who you are, it must feel a bit hollow to be a new champ knowing that a lot of people dont consider you the best.
    The debate about who is the world champion is pretty futile. Alonso has the crown this year.
    The debate about who is the better driver is a totally different story.
    I would think Alonso would have wanted a more clear victory and less people questioning whether he is the true champion this year.

Getting the championship cup isn't what really counts.
    Winning the respect of fellow drivers and fans of F1 must be the aim of any F1 champion - but that does not come automatically when you get to be champion.

IMO if would have become Alonso a lot more if he had answered the question by saying "there are some great drivers out there who could all have won the championship. I just happen to have the best package this year".

That would have reflected reality a bit more and perhaps shown a bit of class.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    Quote:
    Avantgarde said:
    Oct 15, 2005

Yeah, I wondered by such a mistake in the article, they were tied by 7 wins. Alonso also had more poles tha Kimi and more podiums.

I think the mistake in the article reflects Alonso's problem this year: that many son't see him as a clear, undisputable champion.
    You can like or dislike Alonso, but his championship isnt a very clear one.
    I think the mistake in this article reflects that.
    People remember this season's winner as someone who won fewer races than number two. Perhaps because the championship was his a race ago, and hence they tend to forget the last victory.
    Dunno, but I think it's the stigma Alonso received.
    "Kimi and Alonso were equal, but Kimi had the bad luck".

Keep dreaming Dr.Phil... you really are creating some elaborate stories, explanations and suspicions inside your head

Face it, Alonso is the CHAMPION of F1, he has the record of being the youngest champion in the history of F1, the youngest also with a GP win, a podium, a fastest lap, and a pole. He has a better pre-F1 curriculum than Kimi, and has had better stats (7 wins, 6 poles and 15 podiums) than Kimi this season.

All Kimi had was a few races were Kimi had the fastest car in the grid by far and hence dominated the race, when his teammate wasn't having a penalty, incident or something other that kept him away from compeeting as well that is. In the eyes of the shortsighted, watching such a race were McLaren dominated would lead you to deduct that the driver is the best driver but in a very vehicle dependant sport like F1, good foresight will allow to consider the whole season as a whole, and the many many more factors that show what a good driver is, like the ability to take good decistion and smartness on the track, the ability to withstand preassure and not allow any mistakes, the regularity and ability to extract the maximun potential of the vehicle while still crossing the finish flag, etc... generally what sis know to eparate the great drivers from the champion material, like for example as much I'd hate to admit Michael Shummacher is for example. No wonder Alonso's style and talent reminds Bernie Ecclestone of Alan Prost, and Jean Todj declared Alonso and the best driver in the grid lineup today.

But you can keep on with your very own stories and supositions if that alows you to deal with it better, thats fine with me...

yu guys! drivers sums up

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/051017/23/ee1p.html

I know this: When a new champion has to EXPLAIN and DEFEND that he is the best...he isn't.
    Nobody has ever questioned Schumacher. They have questioned his tactics and borderline psychotic driving (like I do), but never his skills.

People aren't denying that Alonso is the official champion, but there are a lot of people out there, who believe he isn't the most skilled driver.

You keep mentioning he is "the youngest driver who won this and that"..
    Who cares if he is 19 or 99??
    If it's that important to mention, it must be because the only thing he can claim, is that he is "the youngest", not "the best".

You seem to believe that getting a trophy equals being the best.
    You seemt to think that getting more points than somebody else makes you a better driver.
    Oh, what a great world that would be...if the most talented and skilled always won.
    Alonso may be the best, but he certainly hasn't proved that yet.
    He has proven that he is stabil, conservative and lucky.
    It takes a lot more than that to be a REAL champ.
    As much as I hate Schumacher, Alonso is nowhere near Schumi when it comes to balls and skill. He may be as talented and he may become a more winning driver than Schumi, but I doubt that very much.
    He simply hasn't got the balls to do so....but maybe it's because he is so young...they haven't grown yet?

Sure Dr. Phil, if that makes you feel better...

Dr. Phil, are you the chairman of the Danish National Motorsports Stubborness Council?

You have a very thick skull if you cannot easily state that Schumi is currently the best driver in the world and that the others should just park and watch him drive.

If Schumi had used Alonzos car this year, Kimi and Alonzo would be back this week at their day jobs at the car wash.

Alonzo won it all fair and square. He had the car, the talent to use the car without breaking it(attn Kimi),
    a near flawless driving style, and he did it all in a
    Renault while wearing gold driving shoes.
    Im happy that he won, at least he is a animated winner! Kimi is too boring to have win anything but a watch paint dry contest and Schumi has won so much, like its just another day for him.

Damn, Carlos...or is it Carlonso?
    Are you in love with this guy?

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Dr. Phil, are you the chairman of the Danish National Motorsports Stubborness Council?

You have a very thick skull if you cannot easily state that Schumi is currently the best driver in the world and that the others should just park and watch him drive.

If Schumi had used Alonzos car this year, Kimi and Alonzo would be back this week at their day jobs at the car wash.

I'm sure it would take a complete F1 novice to rule out Schumi next year, unless he retires of course. Schumi can absolutely win again.
    The battle for the 2006 crown will be between Schumi and Kimi, and perhaps Button can get a comeback with better material and less cheater-setbacks
    As "the youngest driver who ever got the championship by mistake" Alonso will be defending his crown feverishly.
    If Schumi gets a better package next year and Kimi's car is more durable, I think it's safe to say that Alonso will be fighting for the leftovers.
    Curly hair, soft skin and lipgloss just aint enough when the real F1 drivers get going. But I'm sure Carla....erm, Carlos will disagree.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

I agree at 50%, Jim. I really think Kimi could be as fast as Michael with the the same car.I hope to see big race fights between them next year!!

become the world champion is not easy !but defend it even harder!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803012 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448492 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266022 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90012 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6496 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885564 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832941 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM