Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

System Fault

When I turn iginition on my on board computer displays a System Fault Go to Workshop message. It also has what I would describe as a lightening bolt with an arrow on the end of the lightening bolt. The only thing that I did since yesterday was took the car to a pressure wash and thoroughly washed the car with a high pressure wash. I paid particular attention to the wheels and also used the high pressure to wash the two front radiators.

Anyone have any ideas about how to reset and what might be wrong. The manual states that - several systems may have failed. Adjust your driving style. Reduce speed. Have the fault remedied at an authorized Porsche dealer.

The computer display gives no idea of what systems may have failed. I have tested all electronics and operating systems and everything is normal. Therefore, I am concluding that this is a software problem.

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

PS The manual has a specific light and message for almost anything that can go wrong. But this message gives you no message other than several systems MAY have failed???????
    WTF!!!!

If I knew how to reboot I would because I think that is all that I need to do.

Re: System Fault

It is likely a problem resulting from static electricity. Did you just wash/wax the car? Do you use a cover? My 997 has the same message and it is a result of my new cloth cover from Carenewal. I've got a visit scheduled to my dealership this week. Apparently, there is a fault module that will need to be replaced.

Yes, I did wax it this morning and did notice some static electricity when I was removed the wax around the engine cover and rear valence. So, is it ok to drive the car? My dealership is about 60 miles away.

Had the same thing happen to me - no issues with the fault (dealer knew all about the problem) - was caused by static buildup on the hood switch or something. Only way to reset is to connect to the dealers computer. Real nuisance but nothing bad.

Aw nutssss! I dreaded seeing this subject in a new thread. Sorry to hear about your problem red911.

Remember the cars that went to haywire because water was "forced" under the front hood? That thread was a while ago. Not sure exactly how resolved. but it trained me to NEVER mess with excess water up there.

The thing about static that's really upsetting in another way? A few guys were polishing their headlights and the hood popped open.

Oh the other thing, check the manual, but I believe only if the messages are flashing you'd be smart to NOT drive the car.

I did polish my headlights this morning too. That was the first time that I ever did that. So I guess the car is alright to drive and I will be visiting my dealership for an unscheduled visit. I will post my findings and hopefully help others in preventing a similar occurence.

Mine was at 700 miles. Dealer reset. No problems since and I just turned 7k.

red911,

Is yours an '06 build, or '05?

Quote:
    Flashman said:
    Had the same thing happen to me - no issues with the fault (dealer knew all about the problem) - was caused by static buildup on the hood switch or something. Only way to reset is to connect to the dealers computer. Real nuisance but nothing bad.

Flashman, I hoped the dealer corrected the problem with a new and updated module (not cheap out of warranty) because Porsche will only authorize the replacement (down the line) if the problem can be duplicated and its been 6 months for me and I've waxed my headlight and soaked the hood of my car many times with no issues. Thats not a bad thing but it could be $$$ down the line if it happens out of warranty. The module is around $1600.00 USD plus installation. For some it happens all the time but for others the dealer resets the thing and the messages may not re-appear for months, or years however my beleif is if your car has a history of this from the start, the proper thing for Porsche to do would be to honor this claim even out of warranty.

My car is a 2006.

Quote:
    gradyex said:
    The module is around $1600.00 USD plus installation.

How many frickin' "modules" are in this car anyway? My CD repair involved *2* modules at us$1200 EACH!!!

Can anybody get into the module business? Geez!

It does not hurt to drive your car with the SFRW message. The problem is caused by static electricity from polishing the front fenders or headlights. The static electricity migrates to teh front control module via the Emergency Release wiring in teh front trunk. It is a USA spec car ONLY problem. No less dismaying.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    gradyex said:
    The module is around $1600.00 USD plus installation.

How many frickin' "modules" are in this car anyway? My CD repair involved *2* modules at us$1200 EACH!!!

Can anybody get into the module business? Geez!

MMD, I am not sure but I think there are 3 main modules that make up the "heart" of the entire system. The one in question for the System fault issue is in the front trunk where the CD changer is located (or near to it). Someone else can shed some light on this. In the 996 its more simplified (one module), at least thats what my dealer told me so don't hold me to it. I thought that this issue was fixed for 06? Anyhow it is a US only issue (emergency front latch/module miscommunication caused by electrostatic buildup). I'm not complaining at all as this has been the only issue in my 05 now approaching the 8500 mile mark.

I have an appointment this Friday, 10/21, to have my car inspected. I will post the results on Saturday. The service tech does suspect that a static electric charge tripped the computer module in the front truck. He did say that Porsche is aware of the problem and is working on a solution but as of this time no solution has been communicated to the dealer network.

Red 911, what is your build date? I'm trying to get a handle on whether or not Porsche fixed this at some point in time.

Thanks.

Quote:
    gradyex said: I thought that this issue was fixed for 06?

I thought it had been too. But I now believe that some very early build 2006s got the old 2005 modules.

My build date was July of 2005. I do not think that this problem has been fixed based upon what I was told by the Porsche tech this morning. He stated that they were aware of the problem and were working on a solution.

Quote:
    red911 said:
    My build date was July of 2005. I do not think that this problem has been fixed based upon what I was told by the Porsche tech this morning. He stated that they were aware of the problem and were working on a solution.

Thanks. I guess I'm just waiting for this to hit my September 20th build 2006 997S. Oh boy.

My exact build date was July 12, 2005. And I would not get my undies in a twist over this unless it is reoccuring !!! I am hopeful that a reset will cure the problem and not using synthetic towels (microfiber) to remove wax or to polish the car. I believe I created the static charge by the use of the highly charge microfiber towels. I generally do not use microfiber and stick with 100% cotton because they are less harsh on the paint and now I have another reason. My wife also told me that she notices a big difference in the static charge of synthetic/polyester fabric vs. 100% cotton material when doing our laundry.

I will report my findings this weekend after my service appointment.

I didn't think the system fault message was a problem until today when I was driving 90mph down the road and my front lid unlatched on its own. It would have been a real bummer if the damn thing flew open going 90. I never thought the front lid would open on its own, therefore I can't overlook the fact that it may open, then unlatch own its own.

Quote:
    RDKJ said:
    I didn't think the system fault message was a problem until today when I was driving 90mph down the road and my front lid unlatched on its own. It would have been a real bummer if the damn thing flew open going 90. I never thought the front lid would open on its own, therefore I can't overlook the fact that it may open, then unlatch own its own.

I have heard of this problem also on 2005 build dates but am not sure that this is related to or seperate from the "system fault return to workshop" message. I never experienced the trunk opening up on its own but have heard of others complaining of this when returning to their cars after setting the alarm. Either way, not a good situation and hopefully dealer has a fix for both. The hood latch should NEVER open completely under any circumstance. Its an obvious safety issue if it does! In order for the hood to open completely, the latch must be moved by hand! The electronic device (remote) only "pops" the hood up so your hand can reach under it. Thankfully the safety latch did its thing and prevented a potentially disasterous situation.

WOW! Thanks for the warning on the hood-at-speed-pop-up. Weird. Baaaaad. We're glad the latch held RDKJ. Too much electronics in new cars.

Just got back from the dealership and the problem was indeed a result of static electricity due to washing or drying the car. The static charge is transmitted through the body into the wiring that goes to the front module. Porsche is aware of the problem and it is working on a solution but unfortunately all 2005 and 2006 997's have this defective front module. My dealership has been seeing the problem for over a year on both 2005 and 2006 models (mine is a 2006).

The dealerhship stated that the modules may at some time be replaced or a shield put around the existing module. Porsche has not communicated any fix for the problem currently and the dealer information system shows no recall or system message.

All I can advise is be aware of excessive washing, drying, waxing with synethic / microfiber towels. Do not wax the headlights and be sure to dry and remove wax with 100% cotton towels. It still could happen but the chances are lessened.

But it is definitely due to static electricity which sets off the system fault code. The car was in and out in under 30 mintutes and the dealership simply reset the front module. They are reporting the problem to Porsche again and will inform me of their answer.

Good to know; keep us informed

Porsche has supplied my dealer with a new front module (with the software update) that is being installed this Friday, 11/25. I would suspect that a recall will be issued when the supply of the new modules can meet the demand for replacement. FYI

my front trunk lid unlatched on its own too and my system fault light came on right after that..is this why warning light came on?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    802959 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448476 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266002 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90001 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6491 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885534 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832831 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM