Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

POLL: Arctic Silver vs. GT Silver

Which would you like the most on the long-term?

Regardless of cost.

Re: POLL: Arctic Silver vs. GT Silver

GT Silver by a long shot trust me , it has to be seen in the flesh for full appreciation..

throt..

Throt said it. I wasn't sure when I placed my order but I was blown away when it arrived and I saw GT Silver in person.

Oxonian,

I don't want to seem picky but are you ever going to pick some aspect of your spec without a poll??

GT silver all the way

I like Artic much more than GT.

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    Oxonian,

I don't want to seem picky but are you ever going to pick some aspect of your spec without a poll??

ISUK: How can I go wrong when you vote in my polls? Where would I be without ISUK?

I'd say go with Artic. It really shows the taught surface detailing of the car under all lighting conditions. I nearly bought a Boxster off the showroom floor before discovering my dealer also had a 997 available. The Boxster was in GT silver and I really didn't think it looked that special. I wasn't too enamoured with the thought of paying out Pounds1000 extra above the cost for a "standard" metallic colour. Paint is paint regardless of the colour and Porsche are really having a laugh charging three times the "standard" price for this metallic finish just because of it's association with the CGT.

The last time I was at my dealer there were three Boxsters sitting side by side - Artic, Seal and GT Silver. In my opinion the Artic stood head and shoulders over the other two but colour choice is just that - personal opinion. Go with whatever colour you like best.

Both are good colors, but in my opinion, the interior color you want makes a difference. I think a black interior goes best with arctic. If you prefer natural brown, terracotta or cocoa, GT silver is probably the better choice. But I strongly agree with ISUK, your OWN OPINION after seeing the colors side by side is the by far the most important variable. I vaciliated between arctic silver and GT silver as well, but after I saw them side by side, it was arctic for me (I knew I wanted a black interior).

I hope this helps.

mcdelaug

I've given this one much thought as well, and I now firmly prefer Arctic. It's become a no-brainer for me: it looks better, shows off the curves better, is richer in a variety of lighting, and it's cheaper. GT silver, being darker (closer to grey - kind of between Arctic and Seal), is somewhat dull compared to Arctic, which is bright and alive. The only downside is that Arctic is very popular (but that's because it looks so great!), but having said that, GT is still the most popular color around: SILVER.

Arctic is such a brilliant color!
    I agree 100% with the others who prefer it! I also love the way it blends with the rims and headlights- looks so clean.

I like the GT-silver-cocoa combo thee most, but only it came at the normal prices. I'd never pay so much in supp for the colour...

I really don't understand the cncept that Arctic should go with a black interior and GT should go with cocoa or teracotta. Isn't this just the result of Porsche advertising? Are the 2 silvers really that different that they just wouldn't match up well with the different interiors?

C'mon.

Any silver type of color shows the form of the car better. Especially the lovely sections of a 911. If you live in mostly sunny climates, I suggest the GT Siver. Arctic tends to get too bright and washed out under the full rays of the sun. But hey, they both look fantastic on the 997! Just my 2 cents.

mcdelaug is spot on about matching the interior and exterior colours. It's all down to colour tones - some things work, others just don't. If you get it wrong you can take away all of the style of the design instantly.

Artic is quite a bright but neutral shade with no real tonal quality which means it needs a good contrast. It looks best with either black or ocean blue IMHO. If you wanted to spend more it would also look good with natural dark grey leather. I haven't seen it with terracota other than holding a large material swatch over the seats. I think it would work but it would be a very personalised scheme which other people may not like.

GT Silver has a slight hint of blue when you see it next to artic and seal. It looks good with cocoa, terracotta or ocean which really bring the colour to life. Black makes it look a bit dull IMHO (no offence intended to anyone who has this combo).

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    Black makes it look a bit dull IMHO (no offence intended to anyone who has this combo).

That was my combo lol ,, as I stated above the GT has to seen in the flesh to fully understand the above post..

throt..

Quote:
    throt said:
    That was my combo lol ,, as I stated above the GT has to seen in the flesh to fully understand the above post..

throt..

I knew someone would step up to the plate on that one! If it's any consolation the Boxster I nearly owned was GT Silver with black. I was going to buy it on impulse rather than wait for a spec I actually wanted. I'm glad the 997 came up instead as I know I just wouldn't have been happy with that colour combo.

No offence at all , where you off to today ISUK ? ..

throt..

I may be off Ferrari hunting later if her indoors doesn't pull a face at the suggestion (I've dragged her around looking at them for the last two weekends ). I have caught the 360 Modena bug and can't seem to shake it. I must try though as I fear for my wallet - well I would seeing as I'm a Scot

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    I may be off Ferrari hunting later if her indoors doesn't pull a face at the suggestion (I've dragged her around looking at them for the last two weekends ). I have caught the 360 Modena bug and can't seem to shake it. I must try though as I fear for my wallet - well I would seeing as I'm a Scot

The 360's are very nice and your lucky to get the Mrs down there no chance this end with mine she puts every penny into bricks and water at the moment being its a buyers market .. Enjoy your outings for me its the dredded food shop..

throt..

Does black conflict with GT Silver?

GT Silver.....leaps and bounds over Arctic...

Quote:
    Oxonian said:

This was my spec and its worth taking note that the black is more dark grey in color , with the GT it really is "Sport" in your face ..

throt..

GT SILVER/BLACK with the Classics or Sport Design , Color Crest and Valve Caps , SS , PSE = class ..

Cor mouth watering
    imo..

throt

Quote:
    Oxonian said:

It doesn't conflict Ox, but to me, there was something incongruous about the high degree of contrast between the aluminum trim and the black INSIDE the car, and the lesser contrast between the more muted GT silver and the black interior. With arctic the "starkness" is about the same both inside and outside and thus the overall effect was more consistent. That's why I said you have to see it for yourself with them side by side. At first I really thought I wanted GT silver, but I KNEW I wanted a black interior. After seeing Arctic/black and GT/black side by side, it was clear to me which I preferred. But it's too subjective for me to say "GT and black conflict so don't get it", because they don't. It's a matter of degrees, not yes or no.

ISUK and I are kind of on the same wavelength with the color matching thing. Let me try to explain one more time and then I'm going to leave it alone. GT silver has a softer, more complex hue (some blue and brown in it I think) that allows it to integrate well with the richer interior colors like natural brown, terracotta and cocoa. Arctic is a simple color, as it seems to contain no color tints, only "grayscale" ones. Because of this it works well with black, but doesn't complement the more colorful interiors the way GT does.

There are examples of GT silver with natural brown, cocoa and terracotta posted here at rennteam. If you can search for them I think you could get a better idea of what I mean. But seriously, your own opinion after seeing these combos will almost certainly clinch the decision for you. Color is subjective enough that people tend to promote and defend their personal preferences somewhat aggressively. I think that simply reflects the fact that after SEEING a certain combo, you know EXACTLY how you feel about it.

Good luck,

mcdelaug

Heart says GT silver, Head says Artic in the long term, Why? I understand that the popular Artic silver paint can be re-painted much easier than GT especially with those 'blue-brown hues'. I think that external workshop painters will have a tough time match those codes for GT Silver when you are trying to seek an cheaper cost alternative to get rid of eye-soring scratch or a new bodykit retrofit.

Oxonian,

If you want to see why artic is the way to go look at the pics on this thread of a 997 C2 When the new met the old

Faced the same tough decision myself....though in the end, after seeing the 2 side by side, the GT won me over - hands down. Like someone else stated, color is a very personal, subjective choice.

If you see the GT Silver, it just eludes a rich, unique classiness.

I am sure you are now even more confused than before you started this poll. DON'T LISTEN TO ANYBODY ELSE - IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK - GET WHAT YOU THINK YOU LIKE BEST

Polar silver please!!!

What no polar option! Damn, arctic then!!! Buggars!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 3:43 AM
    rhino
    802676 1804
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448393 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265934 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89935 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6415 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885364 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832220 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM