Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2 More Real Life Pics - Guards Red

Found these on a BMW board. They were taken near Frankfurt airport. Looks like a US-spec Cayman with the weird bumper.

Re: 2 More Real Life Pics - Guards Red

Thanks Atlantis.

It sure is U.S. specs with those awefull looking bumpers in the back. What I don't understand is how those ugly bumps are supposed to be saving the car or the passangers in an accidents, since it is required by U.S. department of transportation? .

It looks a little weird. admittedly, not helped by the US style number plate

I don't mind the look of the bumperettes on the Boxster, but on the Cayman they do seem to really stick out and hurt the lines of rear view.

Only the guy trying to catch you will spend much time looking at the bumperettes.

If it's US spec where's the DOT required third brake light? Perhaps it's there and I'm not seeing it???

Quote:
    DaveC said:
    If it's US spec where's the DOT required third brake light? Perhaps it's there and I'm not seeing it???

I've looked at the pic and can't see the third brake light either. Maybe I'm just missing it too.
    I'd say it's a US spec car for sure though. The US/Canadian license plates fit perfectly between those funny bumberettes.

The third brake light is embedded on the lower portion of the glass in the hatchback.

The US rear bumper is remarkable ugly in red. Black or Silver will hide the awkwardness.

Thanks JimFlat6, I think I can make out what you are describing. At least the bumpers are body color.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:What I don't understand is how those ugly bumps are supposed to be saving the car or the passangers in an accidents, since it is required by U.S. department of transportation? .

Hi Ron,
    My understanding is that they arne't supposed to save lives at, but rather satisfy a 2.5 mph accident test. If a car runs into the back of you for instance, you are supposed to be able to replace the bumpers, thus saving you the cost of replacing the entire rear piece.

That's the story I suppose, as far as I can tell. This is part of the reason that the Elise needed an government exemption for its recent release. Had nothing to do with safety.

- J

Quote:
    Justin said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:What I don't understand is how those ugly bumps are supposed to be saving the car or the passangers in an accidents, since it is required by U.S. department of transportation? .

Hi Ron,
    My understanding is that they arne't supposed to save lives at, but rather satisfy a 2.5 mph accident test. If a car runs into the back of you for instance, you are supposed to be able to replace the bumpers, thus saving you the cost of replacing the entire rear piece.

That's the story I suppose, as far as I can tell. This is part of the reason that the Elise needed an government exemption for its recent release. Had nothing to do with safety.

- J

Thanks Justin

'bumperettes' look integral to US bumper.

ugly as hell, completely ruins the rear.

I've just pinpointed the reason I don't like it! (From the back at least).

The rear glass is wider at the top than the bottom, giving the optical illusion that the roof is wider than it really is, and making the car look very top-heavy to my eyes.

Perhaps it wouldn't look as bad in black.

Don't forget....the DOT does not design the bumper, only sets the crash deformation spec. Porsche could design the spec into the overall bumper, look at Aston Martin, Ferrari, etc., but they, not DOT, decide to meet the spec by adding on the bumper extension.

From 1974 through its production run ending in 1989 Mercedes sold tens of thousands of type 107 SLs in the US with absolutely horrific 5mph bumpers. Porsche met the same standards in 1974 with reasonably well integrated 5mph bumpers that remained through 1989 as well. In the 1970s the thought of airbags, crash resistant bumpers, and strict emission controls was anathema to the automotive press and enthusiasts alike. In 2005 Porsches are loaded with airbags, recyclable materials, and emission controls worldwide, not just USA. In that context the bumperettes are somewhat detracting; however, that they ruin the rear end of the car, hyperbole at best.

Agree, "ruin" is nuts. I realized that I had never really noticed the bumperettes on the 987, so I went back and looked. hmmm, would be better without, but not a big deal. I have stared at 987's on the lot in deciding my Cayman color and never paid any attention to the bumperettes.

With the Cayman, all we have is pictures, so we have memorized the few pictures we have, so any difference seems significant. I admit to obsessing over every picture that comes out myself. Personally, I'm just not sure Guards Red my favorite color on the Cayman, but I may love it in person.

Forget bumperettes, what about orange indicator lights?

Now that the bumperette question has been solved. Can anyone tell me the reason for orange (as opposed to clear)side indicator light covers on US spec cars?
    Is this some kind of legal / safety issue in the US and if so why?

Re: Forget bumperettes, what about orange indicator lights?

Yes....it is supposed to be more visible than a yellow bulb behind a clear lens.

964c2 - is it legal to change to clear lenses?

I agree.....it does seem to take away from the overall smooth look....but does not ruin the car.

I would still be willing to bet that when we all stand in front of a real live speciman.....a big smile will still break across our faces though!

You as the owner can change it, as long as you use a yellow bulb. It just can't be delivered new from the dealer that way. New cars must meet all the DOT regulations at delivery. After a car is registered it must meet an annual state inspection that primarily focuses on exhaust emissions and basic mechanical soundness and operation of headlights, horn, wipers, brake lights, turn signals, etc. but actual lenses, bulbs, etc, are rarely checked, if ever.

Quote:
    NM said:
    Can anyone tell me the reason for orange (as opposed to clear)side indicator light covers on US spec cars?
    Is this some kind of legal / safety issue in the US and if so why?

It is a safety issue per US DOT regs . When vehicle is shut off/parked , it's FRONT side marker must be passively reflective and orange to oncoming headlight at say a dark T -intersection . The euro clear side marker is not reflective .

I wonder if it's easy to remove those bumpers? They might simply be bolted in and you could end up with another one of those bumper plug situations to smooth it out. I believe these are the same ones on the current boxsters. Has anyone tried to remove them?

Does not look like a $60K car .... the extra to get 997 seems like a no brainer .

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    Does not look like a $60K car .... the extra to get 997 seems like a no brainer .

Some of us do not want a 997. Mid engined and fast all around (yes, a tad faster than a 997) Go play in your forum.

Quote:
    OCEAN said:

Actually the Cayman looks like it would cost more money than a 997.....completely different look. I love the 997, but the 911 has kept nearly the same look for a long time now....its gotten a little boring to some now.

The vast majority of humanity, many without any impairment of mental faculty, think any Porsche doesn't look what it costs or is worth it. Sports cars are great fun and a wonderful pastime, but a number of people on boards like this either need a reality check or need to stop taking themselves (and their hobbies) so seriously!!

Quote:
    OCEAN said:Does not look like a $60K car .... the extra to get 997 seems like a no brainer .

I drive a Boxster. I recently test drove a 997 and, although I enjoyed the extra power when I put my foot in it, I didn't care for the handling compared to my own car. The Cayman will likely have a very similar feel to the Boxster but with higher limits and has more power. I don't see it as a no brainer at all.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    802827 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448442 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265977 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89979 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885471 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832571 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM