Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: G63 sold out

With the recently released EQS and EQE one can easily understand why buyers are flocking to the G63. The latest Mercedes are lacking in soul and emotion. 

CGX car nut:

With the recently released EQS and EQE one can easily understand why buyers are flocking to the G63. The latest Mercedes are lacking in soul and emotion. 

I don't have a clue what AMG is doing... Smiley

BMW put so many nice cars on the market lately (M5 CS, M4 CSL, now soon the M3 CS) but nothing from AMG. Smiley

The new SL seems to sell less well than anticipated, it is probably too expensive for the performance it delivers. 

New AMG GT is also around the corner but same thing, not sure this car will be "better" than the old one.

Weird times...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

crayphile:
    RC:
    crayphile:

I have never been a big fan, but my wife wanted one so we got one recently. The sound of the engine/ exhaust is addictive. I am checking out a C63S Final Edition later this week.

G63 is amazing. Had one a couple of times as a loaner but can't get one because it doesn't fit our garage (height).
    Sound is really good for a modern car and it drives nicely. Smiley 

Thanks. Agree on sound completely but less so on the drive -  it is not trying to be - and is no Urus.

The G63 is no Urus of course but as a daily driver, I would probably prefer the G63 over the Urus to be honest.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

RC:
    CGX car nut:

BMW put so many nice cars on the market lately (M5 CS, M4 CSL, now soon the M3 CS) but nothing from AMG. Smiley

The new SL seems to sell less well than anticipated, it is probably too expensive for the performance it delivers. 

New AMG GT is also around the corner but same thing, not sure this car will be "better" than the old one.

Weird times...

RC you said a few posts above that the SL is selling like hot cakes (although on second reading this was now 11 mths ago!!) and now that it is not selling so well. Is the latter the case? TBH, I have not seen a single one in London so far.

996FourEss:
    RC:
    CGX car nut:

Weird times...

RC you said a few posts above that the SL is selling like hot cakes (although on second reading this was now 11 mths ago!!) and now that it is not selling so well. Is the latter the case? TBH, I have not seen a single one in London so far.

It sold really well but now you can even get factory cars which are available for immediate delivery. Smiley

Saw one in Miami last November, beautiful car (car was brought by truck from Pennsylvania for a hotel guest, so crazy) but 205k EUR for a SL63 AMG which is slightly slower than a M3 Competition xDrive for half the money? Ouch.

I ordered a M3 CS as a daily driver...BMW makes interesting cars again. Initially, I was thinking about a GT3 Touring but 200k for a daily driver with basically no luggage room? Nope.

--

Check this out blush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1FJ-kln-qY

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

RC:
    CGX car nut:

Weird times...

A24CC7B4-3616-43FC-9C57-2EDED1262D21.JPG

Not when the dealer offered a CAD$52k discount on a 220k car. 

Mercedes Canada dropped 11 of these to my old Mercedes dealer's lot. They are still stuck with 3 of those. 2 now. 

Not this exact car, can't stand that puke blue/green/grey interior colour. Will be black on black on black. Picking up next week.

My gf was bugging me to get a 992 turbo S cab ever since we drove one in the Alps during one of the Porsche trips. I priced one out and it was like CAD$340k. Now we get this for literally half the price and this one has same power as a 992 turbo, and occupy just about the same size footprint. 

Best selling point? The start/stop button is literally right there, no need to dig into touch screen menu to find it. 

--

SmileySmiley Good choice, the SL is a very nice car, not very fast but it looks good, it sounds good and it is fun to drive.

Same here, SL prices dropped a lot, dealers are willing to negotiate.

Saw a nice SL63 AMG with very low mileage for 170k EUR at an official Mercedes dealer, MSRP was over 210k.

Prices have started to drop in general: My dealer has a GT4 RS customer car he wants to sell and they just dropped it's price from 239k EUR to 222k EUR. Still too much. It will go down further...

Found a M5 CS from an official BMW dealer with full  Approved Warranty, 10k km for 160k EUR. MSRP 1

Chris Harris sold his M5 CS with under 20k km for under 130k EUR. Ouch.

I think that the golden days of making profits with cars are over here in Europe, only certain cars are still in high demand but otherwise, prices started to drop...and will drop further in winter time.

First sign are dropping prices for 911 Carrera and Carrera GTS models, also 991 GT3 models.

Already saw a 992 GT3 Touring, 500 km, MSRP 222k EUR, for 210k EUR. 

Found a very nice 992 Carrera GTS Convertible, only 5k km, MSRP 218k EUR, for 190k EUR.

These cars sold for over 200k a few months ago.

Oh, regarding the "sold" out G63: My dealer just offered me one last week, brand-new, for 220k EUR. Still crazy...

--

I have also noticed  on our market  a drop of 10k on the GT4 RS.  But prices where ridiculously high. Made no sense. 

Still now , prices are about 25% over MSRP. They will drop more.  And come back high again in 20 years :-)

As to the 991 GT3 RS, prices stay high for the moment.

People are not spending as before. More careful. 

Whoopsy:

Mercedes Canada dropped 11 of these to my old Mercedes dealer's lot. They are still stuck with 3 of those. 2 now. 

Not this exact car, can't stand that puke blue/green/grey interior colour. Will be black on black on black. Picking up next week.

My gf was bugging me to get a 992 turbo S cab ever since we drove one in the Alps during one of the Porsche trips. I priced one out and it was like CAD$340k. Now we get this for literally half the price and this one has same power as a 992 turbo, and occupy just about the same size footprint. 

Best selling point? The start/stop button is literally right there, no need to dig into touch screen menu to find it. 

A good deal but I wonder how long you will keep it.... unless your girl friend just falls in love with it. 

The new SL 63 is a very nice cruiser. Seriously, AMG has done a very good job here but the car is too heavy to be a performer. Sound is really good (better than the sound of the "old" AMG GT) in my opinion. With 50 hp more, this car would be really competitive at it's price tag but prices are coming down, dealer offered me one with a 10% discount but I am pretty sure that 15% are easily achievable, up to 20% with a first registration on the dealer.
    For a car which was in extremely high demand only 6 months before, this is quite surprising.

As to the GT4 RS: Now that the Spyder RS is here and it is supposed to be the last 718 with an ICE, I think that GT4 RS prices will drop further. Like you said though...still on the higher side, cars are still sold at a premium of around 20-25% here in Germany.

Just remember this: The prices for most cars you see on mobile.de and other car selling portals here in Europe and prices OWNERS ask for their cars. Most of these prices are NOT market prices and are NOT achievable.

--

Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

A good deal but I wonder how long you will keep it.... unless your girl friend just falls in love with it. 

She doesn't know yet...............Smiley

--

RC:

The new SL 63 is a very nice cruiser. Seriously, AMG has done a very good job here but the car is too heavy to be a performer. Sound is really good (better than the sound of the "old" AMG GT) in my opinion. With 50 hp more, this car would be really competitive at it's price tag but prices are coming down, dealer offered me one with a 10% discount but I am pretty sure that 15% are easily achievable, up to 20% with a first registration on the dealer.
    For a car which was in extremely high demand only 6 months before, this is quite surprising.

I was never mistaken it as a 'Sports Car', an SL to me had always been a GT car, perhaps a sporty GT car. For decades, it had always been heavy throughout the generations. 

Mercedes had trouble initially producing it, hence the very limited supply, those who wants to be seen in the latest and greatest paid a heavy premium to buy the first cars. Now those premiums vanished into thin air, hope it was worth it to themSmiley

Your 20% discount is just about on par with what I just got...........

--

Whoopsy:
    Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

She doesn't know yet...............Smiley

SmileySmileySmileySmiley

--

Getting back almost on topic.  I’ll leave this video here and I noticed that there’s a new sponsor too!  https://youtu.be/mGNZ1SZ8sL8

CGX car nut:

Getting back almost on topic.  I’ll leave this video here and I noticed that there’s a new sponsor too!  https://youtu.be/mGNZ1SZ8sL8

Ahhh .....you noticed Smiley

--

Mike

918 Spyder + 992 Dakar + 992 GT3 Touring + Taycan GTS ST + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + BMWs (Z8 + 3.0 CSi) + Bentley Arnage T

BONES:

New AMG GT 

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2024-mercedes-amg-gt-gets-four-seats-4wd-and-577bhp-v8

MB quoting 1970kgno

Basically the SL with a fixed roof.

--

1970 kgs? For an AMG GT? And no transaxle. What am I missing? I guess this won’t be getting driven by Bernd Maylaender on Sundays….

996FourEss:

1970 kgs? For an AMG GT? And no transaxle. What am I missing? I guess this won’t be getting driven by Bernd Maylaender on Sundays….

Heavy but the car will be faster than the "old" one. Smiley People seem to underestimate these "ships", look at the current SL63. This is not your grandfather's SL but a completely new beast. Quite fast on the track for it's weight.

--

The heavier it is, the more lightweight special editions they can make down the line. 

Enmanuel:

The heavier it is, the more lightweight special editions they can make down the line. 

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Like I said before, the new SL (which is basically the convertible version of the new upcoming AMG GT) is quite fast.

Only one(!) second slower than the new M2 on the Anneau du Rhin track, which is quite curvy. Faster than the Cayman GTS 4.0 I think...which is quite impressive. 

Nowadays, weight doesn't play that much of a role anymore if the car has a good setup and if the components work well together.

Wait until you see the new electrified Boxster on the track. Smiley

--

Enmanuel:

Smiley

Will there be a convertible GT? I’m confused, with the SL in their line-up. 

Was interested in a AMG GTC convertible, hope they drop some more in price now. One of the most underated AMG’s to date, design wise.

--

997.2 4S / BMW 745e / Donkervoort GT 

spudgun:

Was interested in a AMG GTC convertible, hope they drop some more in price now. One of the most underated AMG’s to date, design wise.

The SL is their convertible version of the AMG GT. 

The hardtop GT was just announced. 

--

Whoopsy:
    spudgun:

The SL is their convertible version of the AMG GT. 

The hardtop GT was just announced. 

Yes and I love how the new AMG GT looks...very nice design job BUT the weight is... Smiley

--

spudgun:

Agree the GT-C is such a gem, both in coupé and convertible. Smiley You hardly ever see one.

--

1988 Peugeot 205 Rallye / 2004 Porsche 996 GT3 RS  / 2022 BMW M5 CS

A future classic in my opinion. And great value in comparison with similar 911’s. Their prices will probably hold, now that the new GT is such a different proposition.

--

997.2 4S / BMW 745e / Donkervoort GT 

spudgun:

A future classic in my opinion. And great value in comparison with similar 911’s. Their prices will probably hold, now that the new GT is such a different proposition.

Just look at it:

https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/mercedes-benz-amg-gt-cabriolet-2022-neues-fahrzeug-mit-tageszulassung-10498522?accountid=65699&a...

Smiley

SLS is also one I really start to appreciate, unfortunately the prices have held up.

--

1988 Peugeot 205 Rallye / 2004 Porsche 996 GT3 RS  / 2022 BMW M5 CS

Older AMG GT prices drop like dead flies angry, got offered a GT R with only 6k km from an official Mercedes dealer for 160k and dropping. Same seems to happen to the SLS right now.

I noticed that many "collector's" cars are on the market right now or cars, which were supposed to be investments and owners fear now a depreciation and sell them.

In general, I think that prices for most cars will drop substantially over the next couple of months (years?).

Mercedes Germany has 193 SL available for immediate delivery at a factory(!) discount of up to 13%.

Dealerships usually add more % on top of it, so this car is really a bargain right now, you can get well equipped SL 63 AMG, worth around 210k EUR, for around 170k EUR. A year ago, the car had over 12 months delivery time and prices 20k over MSRP were quite common over here.

My BMW dealer has two(!) brand-new M2 in stock, one with carbon roof has already a discount of almost 6k EUR.
    BMW produced already over 10000(!) M2 since it's introduction, this is crazy. I think they overestimated the success of this car. It is interesting from a price point of view but currently, even 85k EUR (average price of a M2 in Germany) is too much for many customers during these times... Lease offers sucks, financing isn't much cheaper either. 

I know that people don't like the new SL but drive one, you'd be surprised. It really feels like a 911 Convertible, believe it or not. Mercedes did a great job here. Car is fast too. Good offer for 170k, not so much for 210k or over.

New AMG GT prices? I don't know what to say. It could be a success and steal customers from Porsche and especially BMW but it could also go the same fate as the new SL.

The problem with the SL is: It makes no sense. I get it, Mercedes wanted to make the SL "younger", to give the car a fresh start but while it is really nice to drive, the reputation from the old one still sticks to it.

For those, who loved the old SL, the new one isn't acceptable due to too much sportiness and lack of comfort. For those, who would be in the market for such a modern Roadster with a V8, the SL has the reputation of a heavy slouch for older men and many hesitate to get one, even if driving it is great fun because Mercedes did a good job in the setup of the car.

Maybe a new AMG GT Roadster would have been better than the SL? Maybe Mercedes should have let the SL die? I don't know but I have to admit that after driving the SL 63, I am impressed with how agile such a huge and heavy car can be. It is no track car but for a V8 Roadster, it really drives very sporty, it provides a good amount of comfort AND it sounds great for a modern car. I think it is worth considering, especially at the current pricing levels.

The new AMG GT is basically the sportier Coupe version of the SL: If it drives only slightly better than the SL, AMG will have a very good car on their hands. Question is: Will people buy it? I don't know but with the currently developing crisis on the car market(s), I think that the new AMG GT, if priced right and if dicounts will be plenty, could actually steal customers away from Porsche and BMW.

We'll see...

If I had the money to get a SL63 too (next to the M3 CS), I would definitely get one and I am dead serious about it.
    Wonderful Roadster if you want to cruise in style... Try one, you'll like it.

Maybe I'm getting older Smiley but my son likes the new SL63 as well, so...

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803364 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448612 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266185 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90094 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6643 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885805 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833424 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM