Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 992 GT3 RS

Grant:
    reginos:

I've read somewhere that the best is dry weather with temperature around 15 °C/60 °F.

Weather has been like that at the Ring much of the summer in the first few hours of the day.  I am worried that the lack of Ring lap time has nothing to do with weather, but more to do with inability to set a good time (maybe trouble with the tires).  A little info here from 3:50 point:

The New Porsche GT3 RS: WHY NO NÜRBURGRING LAP TIME?! - YouTube

Several speculative points in the video which could nevertheless be valid. Most likely reason IMO is that the air/asphalt temperatures are hotter than what is ideal for the tires available. Probably waiting for a new compound from Michelin and Pirelli.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Gnil:

AP : You don't take this car to do mountain roads. 

The GT3 RS was never intended to become a boulevard cruiser. The first GT3 RS, 996, was harsh . At the time it was not a car any bought. Only the track drivers. With 997 it got a bit more compliant on the roads because of the suspensions improvement (PASM). With the 991 it became an easy car to drive on the street (PDK and even better PASM) . With the 992 they are back to basics. The GT3 RS is intended for firstly track use. The best they can make for that.  I wonder what will happen with the RS street drivers ?  Still cruising with the 992 down the boulevards ? Or will they give up ?

For the street/track, there are two great choices : The fun GT4 RS, or the more serious GT3 

But still a lot of them will end up being used to show off at street lights. We're a very small subset of people who know that every 911 variant is for a different use, and has a different character. Most people just want to have the fastest most expensive one so they can brag to their other rich friends.

reginos:
    Grant:
    reginos:

I've read somewhere that the best is dry weather with temperature around 15 °C/60 °F.

Weather has been like that at the Ring much of the summer in the first few hours of the day.  I am worried that the lack of Ring lap time has nothing to do with weather, but more to do with inability to set a good time (maybe trouble with the tires).  A little info here from 3:50 point:

Several speculative points in the video which could nevertheless be valid. Most likely reason IMO is that the air/asphalt temperatures are hotter than what is ideal for the tires available. Probably waiting for a new compound from Michelin and Pirelli.

Which makes me think this might be the first Porsche road car best suited to slicks. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Mithras:
    reginos:
    Grant:
    reginos:

Which makes me think this might be the first Porsche road car best suited to slicks. 

But the brakes are so big that it is challenging (but not quite impossibe) to get 19" wheels to clear

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

reginos:

Could the new RS go down to 6:40 at the NBR i.e. beat the 700PS GT2 RS?

With all that elaborate Aero as explained in the videos, that should be the objective.

It's not beyond the possibility. The new GT3RS has way more downforce front and rear over the GT2RS. 

991 GT2RS doesn't corner any harder than the 991 GT3RS, the sole advantage of the 2 over the 3 was the much harder acceleration out of corners. 

Makes me think how crazy the 992 GT2RS will be........All the new aero from the GT3RS, plus another 250-300hp on top.

--

I have been thinking, the new GT3RS will be so much fun on a track day. Pounding laps after laps, dialling the car in corner to corner with finger tip adjustments. 

Literally the car can be adjusted on the fly, no need to head to the pits and jack up the car to change things.

On my ClubSport, the suspension is setup to be a compromise over a whole lap on my track, gain some and lose some.  With adjustment on the fly fro the new GT3RS, I think there is enough time between corners at my track for me to change settings for 12 of the 16 corners, and 2 more that could be done with enough practice, as for the other 2, one is a throwaway corner and the other is the 2nd half of a back to back.

And with tire temp displayed onboard, there is again no need to come back to pits to use a infrared gun to dial in the setup.

Man, the possibilities. 

--

Whoopsy:  Makes me think how crazy the 992 GT2RS will be........All the new aero from the GT3RS, plus another 250-300hp on top.

You think there is any chance that the 992 GT2 RS uses a turbocharged GT3 engine this time?

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    Whoopsy:  Makes me think how crazy the 992 GT2RS will be........All the new aero from the GT3RS, plus another 250-300hp on top.

You think there is any chance that the 992 GT2 RS uses a turbocharged GT3 engine this time?

Fat chance.

Internals of the GT3 engine was designed for light weight, free and high revving. It's not designed to take high boosts. 

By the time they beef up the block, the heads, fit stronger and lower compression pistons, stronger crankshaft, con rods, that's already a completely new engine. Easier to tune up the existing turbo engine. Those are already bullet proof.

--

Whoopsy:
    Grant:

Fat chance.

Internals of the GT3 engine was designed for light weight, free and high revving. It's not designed to take high boosts. 

By the time they beef up the block, the heads, fit stronger and lower compression pistons, stronger crankshaft, con rods, that's already a completely new engine. Easier to tune up the existing turbo engine. Those are already bullet proof.

Makes sense Smiley

--

Im probably in the minority but I watched the carfection video and although I am inawe at the incredible lengths they have gone to with aero, Ifelt that finally Porsche has produced a product that I can probably get little benefit from over the base 992 GT3 (now fitted with the wider 265/325 GT2RS Cup2 tyres).

If Im perfectly honest I was a bit dissapointed we did not see a capacity or RPM increase as these are things I could see my next GT3 benefiting from. Hopefully the next GT3 will not adopt the extreme aero changes of the RS. Only the tyre temperature feature is of interest although this is already available on the $40 Aliexpress TPMS system I recently purchased for my Yaris!

Im not sure where PAG can go with the next GT3 other than capacity increase if they wish to move the game forward without deploying expensive composites and active aero devices?

My concerns are four fold:

1). Aero - and active aero. Im having a hard enough time getting benefits from the 992 GT3 increased aero on the track. The problem Ive found with aero is that as a square relation to speed it requires you to put the car in the same place at the same speed  each time pecisely in order to understand the mechanical grip you have on hand which immediately starts changing as you apply the brake. Call me sissy but other than my local track Im not able to exactly replicate those conditions lap after lap like a prod driver and thus the amount of mechanical.aero grip is different each time. Its like active dampers. I tried them on my 991.1 GT3 and I didnt like them. I was faster but I couldnt tell you what was happening to make me quicker through the corners! I run iRacing on SIM and Im used to driving downforce cars at NT and Spa and I feel the differences noticeably between cars (i.e. RSR vs 991 Cup). But to learn aero properly I have to push the limits to the extreme - easy on SIM at no cost. IN a real 300K car no so much...

Another point to add. in New Zealand we dont really have a single track that could be considered an "aero track". Across our countries 8 tracks (all of which Im familiar with) we have around 4-5 sweepers above 100kmph where aero would be be of any significant benefit... 

2). Practicality. The car seems suited to a gentleman racer who campaigns a 992 Cup car in a series and has a membership to a private track (Ascari, COTA etc) close by to their house (or a garage there they rent). Maybe a good weekend car to take his sone for some fast laps in without the need for crew. BY way of example myself and most I track with drive up to 300km in a single day on back roads to get to the circuit and regularly we run a tour to the South Island where we are away 12 days and drive 4500 road km to and between tracks. With no trunk and no way to get gear behind my cage easily (especially with my camera fixed to the X bar) I simply dont think I could travel any distance in this car without a support vehicle for my and my wifes luggage. Its hard enough in a standard GT3!

3). Adjustable dampers. Im probably unique but I find multi way traditional coilovers hard enough to understand setting up and if I hjave more adjustment Im forever fiddling and end up never happy. Id rather learn to drive around a fairly fixed system than have available to constant tempation of dials to change. Im also competitive so when I go to teh track Im early out and lapping hard as soon as Im able. No way do I see myself fiddling with damper stiffness and aero at 230kmph down the back straight before braking into some very challenging low speed corners LOL. If you are that gentleman that has a membership and can "play" on teh track all weekend trying set up - all good - but I pay for a 6 session day and dont have much room for playing with settings nor can my wallet take the cost of getting it wrong?

4). Fragility and cost to repair. Im pretty sure by driveway would render some of that aero redundant on day 1. Our roads are dirty and the back roads bumpy - Im pretty sure the sides of my car would be littlered with brake dust and rock chips after a single long drive.Im pretty sure my window screen would take stones from the aero up front (my friends crack window from stones from their RS guard vents!). Its a headache enough looking after an expensive car but this one might be above my paygrade...

So those are my thoughts. Im not sore about getting one - in NZ its easy enough for me to get an allocation - Im just mindful this product is too extreme for my automotive lifestyle.

The 992 GT3RS is a cool piece of kit and Im glad it exists - but its the first time I havent felt jealous of it over my base GT3 from the same generation :-)

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2022 Toyota GR Yaris, 2021 992 GT3, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV, 2009 Lotus Elise SC

1.) DRS is really for the straights, you don't take it off in corners, Not super hard to get a fix point on a track to engage it and then take it off at or just before braking. The automatic adjustments are just that, automatic.

2.) All depends on how much STUFF you want to bring for your trip. I can fit a really surprisingly big amount of stuff behind the buckets. I did survive a 2 weeks trip to Europe with a buddy just packing stuff behind the seats in a 911R. I ddi cheated and put a Porsche luggage in the front trunk but there is so much room behind the seats I could have easily switch to a couple duffle bags instead of a hard side luggage and fit them all behind the seats.

3.) The adjustments are rebound and compressions, at times I am struggling to try and find the difference between settings after I have gone into the pits and come back 10 mins later to see the difference. With on the fly adjustments I can keep lapping and know the results right there and right now. it is actually a surprisingly useful feature. I have gone through the lots when I was racing Cup cars, I told the engineer I felt this and that and wanted this and that, they spent 10 mins changing stuff and I went out again and try to find the differences, I am not skilled enough to remember what happened 20 mins ago, especially when I have to content with cooled slicks that I have to get back up to temp. But I certainly can tell differences in between laps. This is really a gamer changer. Had my Cup car race car had on the fly adjustments, I could have radioed in about understeer/oversteer during whatever corners and they could have told me to try one click this or one click that, it's really really useful. 

4.) Well that's the price of admission. 😂

Porsche, Andy, have stated multiple times over multiple interviews that the new GT3RS isn't for everyone. They have a very specific target market. I found a sue for one already but I am struggling to see should lI actually buy one. I actually hope Porsche would screen potential buyers on buying the new GT3RS, if one doesn't track enough they would say thanks but no thanks you aren't getting one. 

--

DRS. I see that automatic function being handy. No need to manually deploy I suspect teh car knows when its needed (steering angle, gear, lateral G etc). Set and forget would be best for me.

Good points on the damper changing on the run bringing about more immediate and meaningful results than the way I/you have experienced with changes made in the garage between sessions. Ill reserve judgement there but I can see your point and maybe I should add that to teh technology carryover wish list to the 992.2 GT3 along with the tyre temp monitor :-). Actually its very likely that could be carried over as its not body in white changes or exotic materials - just dampers and electronics...

In terms of stuff for trips. Ive had all gens of GT3, all ROW clubsport spec, some with fixed bucket some with folding. I cant get my helmet bag through the gap between the seats and teh cage even fully drawn forward. I cant get my electric tyre pump through either and any bags I send through that slot have to be 1/3 full. Unfortunately I have a proper Smartycam bracket on the cage by the X so I cant push stuff through their easily either. Basically in the 992 GT3RS it would be passenger seat/foot well only and I really hate driving long distance on fast backroads with loose stuff in the cabin. My wife and I did a month in Europe when we picked up our 991.1 GT3 from the factory (folding buckets) and with fitted luggage it was ok. For two weeks away we use the fitted luggage and I squeeze as much of stuff through the back of the fixed buckets as I can but in realitty its usually just jackets and the odd small bag.

I guess the proof will be how much quicker the car is on our local tracks compared to a base GT3. The increased tyre patch and shorter gearing I think will be much more effective than the aero on our small race circuits.

On that subject the gearing must be shorter than simply what is required to compensate the rear tyre rolling circumference as the reduction in VMAX surely cant be down to just the cd and aero especially with DRS active.

Afterall something is responsible for the 0.2sreduction in 9-100 ytimes over the GT3 and its not 14 bhp

!I think the gearing will help give a multiplied torque advantage out of slow corners...?

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2022 Toyota GR Yaris, 2021 992 GT3, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV, 2009 Lotus Elise SC

Not even between the seats with them one forward one backward? It's been a while since I drove a car with the factory cage so I don't remember how big that opening is. My cars don't have the cage so the opening between the seats was bigger and easier to load stuff to the back.

Forgot which video Andy mentioned top speed of the GT3RS is 184 mph, quite a bit slower than the GT3. Think it was the Top Gear one, or the Carfection one. I agreed that gap seems bigger than just aero drag, even with more hp. 

If a car isn't traction limited out of corners, then shorter gearing will definitely help on corner exits. 

--

The official (as per published Porsche spec)  top speed of the RS is 296 km/h (184 mph), much lower than the 318 km/h of the GT3 PDK and 320 km/h for the manual.

Drag and shorter gear ratios would think. Nevertheless, on a circuit such top speeds are of academic importance.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Whoopsy:

Porsche would screen potential buyers on buying the new GT3RS, if one doesn't track enough they would say thanks but no thanks you aren't getting one. 

Porsche surely wants to see their flagships on the road too.

Gets even more buyers down the OPC's.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

It includes the Weissach Package but I’m unable to upload the image from my phone cheeky

Mark - yes, I think the new gearing is much more than 3% shorter (the increase in tire circumference).  GT4 RS also has very low PDK gearing.  The new normal for RS cars…

--

reginos:

The official (as per published Porsche spec)  top speed of the RS is 296 km/h (184 mph), much lower than the 318 km/h of the GT3 PDK and 320 km/h for the manual.

Drag and shorter gear ratios would think. Nevertheless, on a circuit such top speeds are of academic importance.

Right - it seems 992 RS has more drag than 991.2 RS, even with DRS…

--

992 do punch a bigger hole in the air than a 991..............

--

Contract signed, Gulf Blue, Clubsport package, steel brakes, no WP, other small bits, will use it again for track days. I'm No 1 at the dealer so should get the car.

You are a lucky guy! Congrats!

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS :)

Congrats! 

M3ike:

Contract signed, Gulf Blue, Clubsport package, steel brakes, no WP, other small bits, will use it again for track days. I'm No 1 at the dealer so should get the car.

Congratulations Smiley I am impatient for you.  The only feature from the WP I would miss is the real mechanical race paddles. 

Gnil:
    M3ike:

Congratulations Smiley I am impatient for you.  The only feature from the WP I would miss is the real mechanical race paddles. 

Yeah, those sound interesting.  I’ve never had a car with PDK,  but my impression is that many track driver put the gearbox in drive and don’t touch the paddles (let the car shift itself).  Any truth to this?

--

Grant:

Yeah, those sound interesting.  I’ve never had a car with PDK,  but my impression is that many track driver put the gearbox in drive and don’t touch the paddles (let the car shift itself).  Any truth to this?

Not the ones I know. I have hardly done any laps in automatic (only to try a few times, and usually not even the full lap ). Always using the paddles. The drivers I have been talking to using it in automatic were only a few. An instructor once told me : we are drivers, we shift manually Smiley

The tactile experience at the finger tips is part of the driving experience. It adds A LOT and is immensely  pleasurable.  Loved the carbon ones in my former RS. So I can only imagine if you feel a real mechanical ''click'' when shifting Smiley

This car is a  "home run" ! Proportions are perfect and the "big wing" melts away

Grant:
    Gnil:
    M3ike:

Some do, but after a few laps all would go to manual mode. Or just use the paddle to go another gear up or down.

Porsche's shift logic is great, but not perfect. Each track will have it's own oddity and the logic cannot account for. 

There will be places where holding a gear is better than another shift up, and also at times it's better to go down one more than the car selected. 

--

Gnil:
    M3ike:

Can't be that hard to order the Weissach steering wheel and retro fit after........

Or even just the paddle switches. Pretty such the wiring harness will be the same. 

--

Gnil:
    Grant:

Not the ones I know. I have hardly done any laps in automatic (only to try a few times, and usually not even the full lap ). Always using the paddles. The drivers I have been talking to using it in automatic were only a few. An instructor once told me : we are drivers, we shift manually Smiley

The tactile experience at the finger tips is part of the driving experience. It adds A LOT and is immensely  pleasurable.  Loved the carbon ones in my former RS. So I can only imagine if you feel a real mechanical ''click'' when shifting Smiley

Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 3:43 AM
    rhino
    802614 1804
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448375 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265917 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89918 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6394 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885325 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832095 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM