Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Car Magazine bills itself as the best car magazine

on the planet. For the longest time I have been aware of their pro-Porsche bias. However in their recent issue they out did themselves.

They test drove the 430 Spider, The Merci Conv. and the Zonda conv. The writer spends the entire article finding and dwelling on all their faults. A kind word, if given, is immediately followed with criticism. The only positve comment in the article was when he was referencing the GT3RS.

They also review the new Porsche Cab and complain about the need for it in light of the Boxster S but yet give it highest marks.

Mind you two other British magazines have reviewed the 430 Spider (EVO and Top Gear) and they rave about the car.

Italian car manufacturers should boycott Car Magazine by claiming it is nothing more than another Christophorus. What a joke in journalism it has become.

Re: Car Magazine bills itself as the best car magazine

I read through their test, it was a pretty boring read.

I think the Ferrari lost points for its Subaru looking air intakes on the front bumper and its attempt to be a everymans GT and sports car in one. The Porsche GT3 RS is a dedicated purposeful no compromise sports car with styling that harkens to the original "peoples car."

The Lamborghini was just too frightening for the timid scribes to consider, so they scurried off to Porschedom.

Relax, Ferrari can't win every product comparison. Its very good, but its going to look very dated in a few years due to its lipo suction front grille and silly looking dashboard.

----------------------------------------------------

"Ferraris are for those who want to be somebody,
    Lamborghinis are for those who are somebody." Frank Sinatra

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Relax, Ferrari can't win every product comparison. Its very good, but its going to look very dated in a few years due to its lipo suction front grille and silly looking dashboard.

Exactly. I haven't flared nostrils like the F430's bumper intakes since the Muppets went off the air (Ms. Piggy). I've already commented about the dash too - compare the F430 to a Hummer. Scroll to bottom of this link to compare the round air vents that Ferrari copied on the H2

http://www.autoreview.ru/new_site/year2002/n12/news/1.htm

Quote:
    nberry said:
    on the planet. For the longest time I have been aware of their pro-Porsche bias. However in their recent issue they out did themselves.

They test drove the 430 Spider, The Merci Conv. and the Zonda conv. The writer spends the entire article finding and dwelling on all their faults. A kind word, if given, is immediately followed with criticism. The only positve comment in the article was when he was referencing the GT3RS.

They also review the new Porsche Cab and complain about the need for it in light of the Boxster S but yet give it highest marks.

Mind you two other British magazines have reviewed the 430 Spider (EVO and Top Gear) and they rave about the car.

Italian car manufacturers should boycott Car Magazine by claiming it is nothing more than another Christophorus. What a joke in journalism it has become.

About CAR, I agree, they have gone down big time over the last couple of years.
    Their tests are now bad IMHO and they spread all sort of ridiculous rumors!
    Read the respected Autocar article test of the 430 by Porsche crazy Chris Harris.
    He writes it's the best sports car in the world and that he can't see how it can be bettered by any car!
    Also, he praises the F1 box whereas he's not a fan.
    See? It's no all bad.
    At the end of the day, we all know that journalists are always biast. Take it with a grain of salt Nick!
    You're getting an awesome car (although I personally dislike the styling! )

I like EVO best among the British car mags (that aren't Porsche focussed like "911 & Porsche World" and "GT Purely Porsche")

Even at its worst Car is world's better than the rags in the US. see Road and Track, Car and Driver, Motor Trend, Automobile, and Autoweek.

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    Even at its worst Car is world's better than the rags in the US. see Road and Track, Car and Driver, Motor Trend, Automobile, and Autoweek.

it was not even the GT3RS he was reverencing in the article,it was the normal GT3.

I can't see very much of the "pro-Porsche"-opinion in the article about the cayenne in the same issue...

I am a regular reader and I do admit that Car seems to be in love with anything Porsche. I think for the last 2 years and maybe even 3, their car of the year was a Porsche.
    The only thin they like better than Porsche is when either Aston or Bentley puts out a new model.

They don't seem to be overly enthusiastic about Ferrari's.

Last year they were to do a comparo test of a GT3RS and 360CS. Ferrari wouldn't provide a car, so they found an owner willing to lend his for the test. Ferrari found out and threatened the owner of the 360CS - if he provided his personal car for the test it would be the last Ferrari he could ever purchase from Ferrari UK.

Quote:
    About CAR, I agree, they have gone down big time over the last couple of years.
    Their tests are now bad IMHO and they spread all sort of ridiculous rumors!
    Read the respected Autocar article test of the 430 by Porsche crazy Chris Harris.
    He writes it's the best sports car in the world and that he can't see how it can be bettered by any car!
    Also, he praises the F1 box whereas he's not a fan.
    See? It's no all bad.
    At the end of the day, we all know that journalists are always biast. Take it with a grain of salt Nick!
    You're getting an awesome car

right.

CAR isn't any more what it used to be. i loved it -- some time ago it was the most stylish, entertaining and innovative car magazine IMHO. but i cancelled my subscription a couple of month ago. the departure of tom ford (to top gear) and editor angus mckenzie was the death blow IMO

Quote:
    (although I personally dislike the styling! )

WHAT??

Quote:
    zzboba said:

Quote:

WHAT??

Easy mate!
    It took me a long time to get used to the 360 Modena's front nostrils, but I eventually, form follows function.
    I always thought the 355 was so much more beautiful, the pinable of classic Ferrari beauty IMHO!
    Then the Stradale came out, the cherry on the cake! Superb! What the Modena should have always been in terms of styling.

And then the 430... To me, a Modena on steroid, I had finally gotten used to the nostrils, and now they are twice the size!
    And I'm not sure about the Enzo style rear, rear panel looks big compared to the small lights.
    Enzo's rear appears thinner somehow.
    However, the interior is very nice and so is the side profile (superb) and those front lights! Awesome!
    Syle wise, I still prefer the Stradale, with the 430 front lights, it would be perfect!
    But hey, that's all subjective, to drive, not much comes close!

Quote:
    Grant said:
    I like EVO best among the British car mags (that aren't Porsche focussed like "911 & Porsche World" and "GT Purely Porsche")

I love EVO. If I had to choose between keeping all my subscriptions to all the US rags and EVO I would choose EVO. For info. on ALL the high end manufature's can't beat the articles and especially the photos imo.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

I love EVO. If I had to choose between keeping all my subscriptions to all the US rags and EVO I would choose EVO. For info. on ALL the high end manufature's can't beat the articles and especially the photos imo.

yep, evo is a keeper.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:

Quote:

WHAT??

Easy mate!
    It took me a long time to get used to the 360 Modena's front nostrils, but I eventually, form follows function.
    I always thought the 355 was so much more beautiful, the pinable of classic Ferrari beauty IMHO!
    Then the Stradale came out, the cherry on the cake! Superb! What the Modena should have always been in terms of styling.

And then the 430... To me, a Modena on steroid, I had finally gotten used to the nostrils, and now they are twice the size!
    And I'm not sure about the Enzo style rear, rear panel looks big compared to the small lights.
    Enzo's rear appears thinner somehow.
    However, the interior is very nice and so is the side profile (superb) and those front lights! Awesome!
    Syle wise, I still prefer the Stradale, with the 430 front lights, it would be perfect!
    But hey, that's all subjective, to drive, not much comes close!

I wonder what the 430 would have looked like if they painted (body color) the nostril inlets and left the grills black. Please excuse the total lack of experience with photoshop. Can anyone with some photoshop skills give this a try ?

Also I have a question. If you owned a 360CS and wanted a 430CS but could get your hands on a 430Spider in the meantime would you make the switch to a 430spider and then switch again when the 430CS comes out ?
    Or hold on to the 360CS till the 430CS comes out ?

Condition :If you switched to the 430spider you would have to wait longer for the 430CS. If you held the 360CS you could get one of the first 430CS.

Quote:
    Fanch said:

I actually think Ferrari copied the McLaren F1's front intakes. I don't have pics of both cars from the same angle but it's clear where Ferrari got its inspiration for the front of the car. I agree that the nostrils on the F430 are worthy of Jimmy Durante or maybe Cyrano Debergerac but I also saw a comment that front looks better in person than it does in photos.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    on the planet. For the longest time I have been aware of their pro-Porsche bias.

Ah yes, Nick. Just another instance showing that not everyone is as objective and balanced when expressing their opinions as you are.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777798 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441928 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262882 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261111 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85369 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880784 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816292 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM