Quote:
zzboba said:
the GT3 is used in club sport, but will it really be the base model for the supercup 997? and is it the homologation model for the FIA GT and ALMS series? the GT3 RSR is quite new and was homolgated by the (996) GT3 RS.

i've heard this rumour that the 997 GT3's engine will be a tuned version of the 997 carrera engine way too often. there must be some thruth about it.

my guess #1: the GT3 will get the carrera engine (maybe they planned an offspring with dry sump?). should be more cost-effective in the long term than sticking to the 964 engine for turbo, GT2 and GT3.

my guess #2: for FIA/ALMS homologation they will bring out some super-GT3, maybe again called RS, with a totally different engine -- probably based on the current 964 crankcase again

You have a point, but no track oriented Porsche version, and a GT3 is that, can have a wet sump, I don't believe Porsche would do that, if the engine its more expensive then they will increase the price but not do the oppposite and use a wet sump, its more harm than anything. The GT3 Porsche's track car flagship, its used many times with R-compund tires, its the basis for many extreme tunner and private mods, etc. Imagine what the press would say is Porsche's most radical driver's car designed for the track has a wet sump, they'll be the laughing stock. And a GT3RS version with dry sump will not solve it, since the RS is a very limited version and not even homologised for the US