Quote:
AUM said:
I would like to see a five-lap race around the Ring between the fastest production cars with factory-selected racing drivers who can extract the car's ultimate performance.
Cars must be certified stock by an independent authority.
Cars start at one-minute intervals to avoid incidents.
These are street cars so five laps is sufficient.

The results would be very interesting.

We'll even this wouldn't work, because there are so many variances in tires. Some cars come with very aggresive almost race like rubber, and some come with street biased run-flats. Tire have the MOST to do with the ability of the car to corner. A good chassis/suspension simply enables the tire to work to it's maximum efficiency.

SO, I would just add, put all cars on exactly equal tires. Hell slap a set of the same R compounds on each car in their respective sizes. Then the tire factor comes OUT of the equation and you will see cars that normally perform mid-pack all of a sudden be front runners simply due to the lack of the stock tire compared to other cars.

Take the ZR-1 compared to the Z06, same chassis, same suspension geometry, actually SOFTER springs and smaller sway bars, but bigger HP, a trick magnetic shock and MICHELIN CUP "like" tires. The HP of the ZR-1 for example helps tremendously in a strait line, but the real improvement comes from the tires in that case. No way a car with lighter springs and smaller sway bars is out hanlding a car with stiffer springs and bigger sway bars. It's about the tires my friends. If you put a set of ZR1 tires in a Z06, you will see an HUGE differnce to the point where it almost becomes a new car.

I have seen a ZR-1 and checked out the tires and they are almost as soft feeling as my hardcore race compound rubber. I wonder if the GT-R doesn't field a similar advantage? From my previous post where the car raced in a class with other cars with similar tires and all of a sudden the car didn't perform so well???

This variable was nearly as pronounced as it was 10, even 5 years ago! Tire technology has come so far, and the manufacturers are more willing to push what they will put on their street cars to make great numbers. It is SO easy to get 3-4 seconds improvement in a car by making the tire compound more aggressive.

I have seen $5000 Miata's on R compound out corner the most expensive supercars on street tires. I always thought the Z06 was so limited in this area and even though it's performance was steller, was so underrated because of it's crappy run flat tires.