Quote:
Ludikrisspeed said:
I like the design... but I also think Porsche did a great job with the Cayman. This car is NOT the daily-driver that the cayman is... this is closer to a Pagoni Zonda. This is exactly why aftermarket tuners do well... the create out-of-the-box designs for those who'll pay for it.
But Porsche focuses on a design that you can drive to work, the store, on a trip, to the beach... etc, and not have the papparazzi tryin to take your picture getting out of your car at the supermarket.

I humby beg to differ. RUF, although his cars are extremely fast, builds with daily driving and reliability in mind. He doesn't build finiky cars that you roll out for top speed runs only. Yellowbird is the perfect example of this. They STILL take that car out to auto rag's top speed days, and while the others are icing down their intercoolers / intakes, the RUF guys are giving "fun runs" in Yellowbird to whomever wants one.

Here is a neat post from an f-chat CTR 3 thread from user lmpdesigner in Atlanta:
The CTR3 is based on the floorpan of the Boxster, which is, incidentally the same bit as used on the 911. The inner structure of both chassis are the same.

The CTR3 has a completely new rear half of the car, as the chassis is cut just behind the seats. The rear structure is a tube frame structure with a billet aluminum rear cross member and suspension mount "plates".

The engine is the RUF RT2 twin turbo "911" motor with 700ish HP. A very powerful and torquey motor.

The gearbox is a 6 speed transverse box, made by a German company called Hoer. The box is similar to the box used in the Carrera GT, but is not the same. The Ruf box is unique to the CTR3

The rear has a pushrod type suspension, with Porsche 997 (modifed) suspension arms and uprights. The front suspension is McPherson strut, with modified uprights/etc.

The front and rear wheels uses acenter lock wheel retention system on RUF bespoke wheels.

The dampers are from Dynamic suspensions.

The rear chassis structure is integrated into the "donor" chassis thru the rollcage structure up top and thru some integral lower chassis tubes that run fore aft thru the rocker panel area.

The rear floor has a large ACO/ALMS style diffuser and is a stressed part of the chassis. (The engine floor is stressed as a shear panel, under the motor.)

The car's styling was done (primarily) by a young Australian, Ben Soderberg-whose dad, Dick, was a designer for Porsche for years. (Dick did the 959 car, among others.)

The mechanical design and engineering of the "new chassis" and drivetrain was done by....me (Yes-it was!)