Okay - so Renault should have won in Shanghai had they not made the wrong choice on front tyres and if they had not cross-threaded the rear tyre when Alonso changed to slicks later in the race.

But what now? It looked to me like Renault have improved their performance and that Michelin have improved their slick tyres (their intermediate tyres have been better all season) to the extent that Ferrari may really struggle.

The Chinese GP and the Japanese GP are both flyaway races back to back so there is zero time in-between for any development. Since the Brazilian race is also a flyaway race, I am not expecting major technical improvements before that race either.

I think it's going to be a few weeks of real drama. I think Schumi may yet surprise us - it's his last 2 races so he has an extra incentive to perform. Maybe he will end his career on a sour note (like Zineddine Zidane did when he headbutted Materazzi's chest) by unsportsmanlike driving in a bid to offset Renault's new performance advantage?? Maybe I'm reading too much between the lines. Alonso looked numb on the podium in Shanghai but he will have recovered by now and he will know he has the better car for the rest of the season. He should win the title. (I hope he doesn't though - he was nice, at least in public, last year before winning the title but his arrogance and rudeness now that he is defending World Champion has been off the scale for me). Winning may be important but how you win is important too. Schumi is equally bad in this respect. I miss nobler characters like Senna, Prost, Hakkinen.

Whatever happens though, I am going to really enjoy the next few weeks! Heaven knows how I will survive without F1 over the winter break! Can't bear to think about it...