My wife and I managed to get my parents to have our little boy tonight so that we could go for our first real drive in the new car and have a meal at a friends house.

7pm this evening we were travelling down the M18 when just passing under the bridge before you join the A1 (junction 2 I think) some "Tw@t" lobbed a large object at the car hitting the windscreen at about at about 70Mph. All we heard was a huge explosion and glass shattering in our faces. The damage was on the near side right next to the corner pillar and I didn't want to get out of the car in fear of witnessing massive paint damage.

On inspection, the brick had left a hole about 11/2" wide by 3" long, but as it had hit the the black shaddow line on the screen the screen didn't completely fail because beneath the shaddow line is the internal leather pillar. This pillar was obviously strong enough to deflect the object in a strange direction.

Firstly it hit the windscreen, bounced off to the side, the air flow must have re-directed it back into the car hitting the rear glass quarter panel, then onto the rubber seal around the quarter panel. This seal deflected the brink away from the car.

I cannot believe that only glass was damaged, no paintwork whatsoever!

So, I rang the police, got a crime number etc etc and that's probably the last I'll hear of it. My friend was all for going down there and giving someone a good hiding. Me, I was too cheesed off to do anything.

These people want locking up. The consequences could have been fatal. They could have seriously injured either of us or even worse killed someone. This happened to lorry driver recently I remember.

I'll post some pics when my mate sends me them as we took them for evidence etc.

Anyway, got a question. I don't want an autoglass/RAC rubbish replacement windscreen but want an official Porsche replacement, this goes the same for the rear quarter light and rubber seal.

How much will this cost me do you think and how quick do you think Porsche can turn it round?

[edit]

The guy that rang me back to give me the crime number etc confirmed that it was a new 997 Carrera S this had happened to, and immediately began to add Joviality to the conversation, kind of mocking me really, things like, woo hoo, a new Porsche aswell, you must be gutted, sniggering after he'd made the statement. Wasn't really funny, but perhaps I'm being over sensitive.