Quote:
917driver said:
My apologies in advance as I know this subject has probably been brought up a hundred times. I have tried to use the "Search" function and I'm just not finding the answer.
My Buddy tells me he plans to run his 997S Coupe at high RPM levels even during the break in period. His reasoning is that the engine was "run at redline for thirty minutes before it was installed in the car." Aparently ,some self promoted expert is giving him this advice. My experience over 30 years of driving is to follow the Factory Break in procedures. Have I been missing something the last several years? Are the 3.8 engines ready to run hot right out of the box? His car is due in a couple days, thanks for any feedback.

I may not be in the majority, but I'd do as the manual says. I did and, I believe, that mine is very strong; although that is obviously subjective.
Good (driving) warm-up, vary the rpm's, don't lug the engine and no full throttle. After briefly loading the engine, allow the engine to cool by decelerating (just let off the gas pedal); this also allows more oil to be drawn into the cylinders. No excessive idling, no hot temps. and minimal cold start ups, e.g. no cold starts just to let your friends hear her pur. Good luck & congrats., hope this isn't too anal.
P.S. After the break-in my oil consumption dropped significantly.