Leawood911:

Sorry RC but even a $4K wheel and tire deal (costs them maybe $1.5K) is not enough for me to hand over an extra $85K to drive a newer 911.  And that's the cost in the US!  Perhaps the difference is that I don't have a 911 car payment and take a different approach toward money and depreciation.  On the bright side I have always owned and driven a 911, never had a car payment and always drive them to work or anywhere without a care in the world. 

For me it is just a fun car to drive.  Very fun - but it is just a car and a horrible investment.  As Nick points out - people can hardly tell them apart unless they are in the know.  (agreement with Nick is easy for me when it comes to Porsches)

The deal was pretty good. Let's take the 991 CS Cab: 145k EUR new price tag, 15k EUR initial payment, 999 EUR (incl. VAT) per month lease rate for 36 months, 10k km per year. Winter wheel set included. If this is not a good deal, I don't know what a good deal is. Smiley

I do not buy such expensive cars, resale value is always a big question mark and I have been very very lucky with my C63 AMG Coupe (the first car I bought in years) because my local Mercedes dealer wanted to lure me away from Porsche, so I got a very good deal. I actually "lost" only 10k EUR for driving the C63 AMG Coupe for almost a year, not bad at all in my book.

If resale value would not be important to me (because I build up a collection, like Futch does for example), I would buy the cars but since I cannot afford a car collection (nor does my garage Smiley...only four cars fit, which is huge for a German single garage),  I lease my cars and after 2-4 years, depending on the lease duration, I dump the car(s) and move on, no strings attached, no headache...just perfect. So far, BMW and Porsche lease companies have been generous and very forgiving, so what not?!

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4