Jean:
bluelines:
reginos:
RC:

Reducing weight on street legal production cars is always a compromise regarding cost and safety, I'm glad Porsche found another way.

Wasn't there an explanation of how  the Nissan GT-R's heavy weight helps its track times?

--

"Form follows function"

Yes, it is a good laugh when Mizuno tries to explain this Smiley

You don't have to be a physicist to understand that high weight is a disadvantage. No matter how well engineered the car is. Not seen many 2 ton F1 cars Smiley

I still believe there is a good balance between a car's weight and mechanical grip (e.g. road tire's contact patch) to increase the traction for better handling.  

Take Caparo T1 for example.  In theory, this car should be faster than almost all of road cars out there, however it is not, simply because you cannot get enough traction into the road legal tires without downforce in low speed corners.

Mathematically it does not make sense. With more mass you get more friction, i.e. resistive force, but also higher inertia which will cancel it out assuming the friction coefficient is equal. The only thing that happens is that the forces are greater in all directions, which is why the GTR chews tires like noting else Smiley

Low mass coupled with high aerodynamic downforce is the winner. This gives low inertia and high friction.

That is the theory at least. I guess we could argue if it applies in practice or not.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

Audi S5 cabrio in Ibis White with black leather interior.