Targa Tim:

If you decide to keep the car for a while, just buy the tools.

For the price of the tool (it is actually one), you can get two new tires. Not really worth it. 

As to independent tire dealers: I stopped using them a long time ago for various reasons, especially since I switched to Porsche.

1. Most independent tire dealers don't seem to have a clue about N tires and/or Porsche's explicit warning, that Z (or Y) rated tires and/or tires larger than 18'' shouldn't be switched (for example removing the summer tires from the rims and mounting winter tires on the same rims and then again mounting the summer tires...and so on). There is a serious risk of damaging the tires from the inside, resulting in great danger for the driver.

2. You can get almost the same deal an independent tire dealer gives you from the official Porsche dealer. I have a special arrangement and I know that other Porsche owners have a similar arrangment too, it is possible and you should talk to your official Porsche dealer about it. Even if the tire costs 40 or 50 bucks more, I would still stick with my Porsche dealer for the reason(s) I mentioned.

3. There are independent tire dealers who repair (!) punctured Z (Y) rated tires, which is in clear violation of the OEM specs. Such dealers can't be trusted. As far as I know, even V and W tires aren't allowed to be "repaired". One of course could argue that in speed limited countries, this may not be as important as in Germany for example but some excessive track racing with some high speed parts, could already be a serious problem.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4