cannga:

Against the "dozens of engine failure" report, I have read numerous actual users' reports, that for the 997 Turbo, there has not been one single failure directly related to a simple ECU tune with no hardware change (stage 2). Show me such a failure and I will show you an abusive driver who would have destroyed the car no matter what.

Can, There have been many failures in Europe with just ECU tunes, the bad ones work the VTGs too hard and/or disable the knock sensing. There is one in my local dealer at the moment whose VTGs got too hot and metled throwing bits of metal into the intake, the engine is not rebuildable, Porsche have rejected the claim, the guy is on his own.

I think there is an aspect particularly in heavily speed limited countries which is saving a lot of these bad tunes and that is the VTGs are not getting too hot and not causing the problems. Put them on an Autobahn for an hours fun and it could be a different story (I had such a tune, it was fast and ticked all the boxes but Mr RS said it would melt if I pushed it on the 'bahn"

Took me a while to tune my brand new engine, about 6 months Smiley

--

2009 997 GT2 659PS/827NM DIN