Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Please help - trying to find out some answers!

I think this is a truly excellent website. A massive thank you to everyone who runs it or contributes to it making it IMHO the best Porsche discussion forum and source of Porsche info. I've been a member since last year and I've found this site invaluable.

Some of you may know that I currently own a BMW 328i which I plan to replace with my dream Porsche in the hopefully near future. Once I have a clearer idea of my intended order, I'll post it here and I hope that the more knowledgeable people here could then kindly give me their comments/suggestions.

In the meantime, I'm trying to find out more about a few things and I'd be very grateful indeed for your answers/views

1) Does the red deviated stitching have a special code? Is there a different code for each colour? Which colours are available? How much does it cost?
    2) Are the standard exhaust pipe tips on the base 997 actually chrome-plated?
    3) Would you choose the short shifter? I've seen the thread elsewhere on rennteam where people have discussed it generally but would appreciate any yes/no views.
    4) Are the standard seat belts always black or do they match the interior colour scheme?
    5) Have people who have chosen the rear centre console in exterior paint colour option noticed from first hand experience that it actually scratches more easily than plastic or leather? Ideally, I like this option but the scratching is my one fear.
    6) Simple question I hope: the top of the gear knob which has a picture of the gear positions. When is this black and when is it chrome? Does it match the colour of the instrument dials or is it 997 has black while 997S has chrome? I ask because I might get black instrument dials in a 997S.
    7) Is it possible yet to get the Porsche Exclusive centre console storage bin lid with the model logo for the 997?
    8) Are there any replacement gear knobs and hand brake levers available yet for the 997?
    9) Would you not get the CDC-4 6 disc CD changer just in case an Apple iPod connection becomes available which might use the input socket which the CD autochanger currently uses.
    10) Have any of you tried factory collection? Any views?
    11) Do anti-theft wheel bolts come as standard?
    12) What do you think of the Tequipment aluminium look finish fuel filler cap?
    13) Is it important to get the Charge-o-mat II?
    14) What is the duration of the Porsche Warranty in Germany?
    15) Is there a special code for the aluminium driver's footrest? Any idea of the cost?

I assume bluetooth connectivity and digital DAB radio are not on the horizon yet.

Sorry for the numerous questions. My dealer has not been all that helpful or thorough. It just seems like he is guessing the answers without checking them so I don't feel all that confident in what he says. I think I will be placing my order with a different dealer!

Anyway, thanks very much for any light you can shed on the above.

Regards,
    ML

Re: Please help - trying to find out some answers!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    1) Does the red deviated stitching have a special code? Is there a different code for each colour? Which colours are available? How much does it cost?
    It's an exclusive option, so available in the colour your want I would think. For the option code, ask RC, but exclusive option have a special coding of their own.
    2) Are the standard exhaust pipe tips on the base 997 actually chrome-plated?
    No
    3) Would you choose the short shifter? I've seen the thread elsewhere on rennteam where people have discussed it generally but would appreciate any yes/no views.
    Yes. Only tested the standard one on the 997S and it's very nice, similar to the 996, wouldn't mind something more crispy, with shorter throws.
    4) Are the standard seat belts always black or do they match the interior colour scheme?
    Always black but you can order Red, yellow or grey.
    5) Have people who have chosen the rear centre console in exterior paint colour option noticed from first hand experience that it actually scratches more easily than plastic or leather? Ideally, I like this option but the scratching is my one fear.
    Have it on my 996, not scratches. Just painted plastic really.
    6) Simple question I hope: the top of the gear knob which has a picture of the gear positions. When is this black and when is it chrome? Does it match the colour of the instrument dials or is it 997 has black while 997S has chrome? I ask because I might get black instrument dials in a 997S.
    997 black, and 997S, aluminium. If you get black instr. in an S, like me, the sport chrono will also be black but the gearknob top stays Alu, nice IMO.
    7) Is it possible yet to get the Porsche Exclusive centre console storage bin lid with the model logo for the 997?
    Yes, just like the 996.
    8) Are there any replacement gear knobs and hand brake levers available yet for the 997?
    Yes, you can get it in Carbon or wood and a new one just came out, thicker, see my thread on that. No pics available yet.
    9) Would you not get the CDC-4 6 disc CD changer just in case an Apple iPod connection becomes available which might use the input socket which the CD autochanger currently uses.
    Get it anyway. Not horrendously expensive and you can sell it on ebay if you don't want it anymore, I think it's the Becker unit. Goes on all cars.
    10) Have any of you tried factory collection? Any views?
    No
    11) Do anti-theft wheel bolts come as standard?
    Yes on 996 so I presume yes on 997.
    12) What do you think of the Tequipment aluminium look finish fuel filler cap?
    Nice I will get it if you can fix it on the fuel cap door when refuelling, can't see myself holding in my hand if not
    13) Is it important to get the Charge-o-mat II?
    Handy option but only if you have a power outlet nearby.
    Don't know, my car's in France and it's 2 years.
    15) Is there a special code for the aluminium driver's footrest? Any idea of the cost?
    XXZ 179.40 Euros but strangely, the factory computer rejected this option when I ordered it, so my dealer is investigating. That was two weeks ago, Gee! These guys are efficient!!!

Wow, tough questions, interior stuff is not my forte so here goes my two cents...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Not unless you have tried it personally and like it or you know already you always want the shortest throw posible on all manuals you drive, otherwise I would get the stock one which is already shorter than the 996, and presumably much shorter than the 328, and see how you like it first since its an option of very personal taste and you can always retrofit very easily later on. But thats just my opinion.
    Its like the spòrt exhaust, some would like to hear it before they get it, and others like me ordered it before they even heard it becuase they knew they would like it alreday. But I decided to use the stock shifter for a while first and then if I still felt the need for the short-shifter kit I would retrofit. Those who have got it seem very happy with it.

Quote:

Fanch to the rescue
    http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=99258&an=0&page=1#99258

Quote:

For that and becuase if it isn't available, you can always use the 6 CD slots, becuase MP3 player compatibility of the PCM's CD slot is good but only 800MB of MP3's. And its not very expensive.

Quote:

Two years in europe but you can extend it to 4 years for not much extra which is a very good idea IMO.

HI WELCOME TO THE FORUM, i guess Fanch covered it all excellent

Could you please specify this?

Yes, just like the 996. ???

What is this option how does it look like any photos??

a!! here in Greece you can extend Warranty for 10 years totally meaning 8 more for aprox. 1000 Euros per year

Dunno how much it is in rest of Europe

1) Not released in the US bt for MY04 Dev stitch codes were Z84 (seats) Z88 (dash & doors) colors Red, Blue, Yellow
    2) standard exhaust pipe tips ars stainless steel Option X54 are chrome
    3) YES I have it and like it
    4) Std are Black

7) Not yet

11) anti-theft wheel bolts come standard

12) A bit pricy for a gas cap...WHY it's hidden
    13) Important if you don' drive the car and it sits for long periods

15) XXZ Foot Rest with stainless surround $250usd

The short shifter made sense as an aftermarket item on the 996 and 986 because the stock unit was considered sloppy by some. That was debatable.

I hear the new stock shifter on 997 is much improved, so probably not something you'd want unless you were tracking the car or really into getting maximum options on the car.

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    a!! here in Greece you can extend Warranty for 10 years totally meaning 8 more for aprox. 1000 Euros per year

Dunno how much it is in rest of Europe

It's possible in Germany, too. The warranty can be extended to 10 years max.

The overall red stitching without hand brake and shifter is about Euro 1500,- incl VAT.

Would be a nice car!

how about the center console??

) Is it possible yet to get the Porsche Exclusive centre console storage bin lid with the model logo for the 997?
    Yes, just like the 996. ?????

Whats that?

Fanch,

Thanks very much for making the effort to answer all my questions in such detail...really, really appreciated!

The first drink's on me if you're ever in London.

Rgds,
    ML

Thanks to you too Carlos for your detailed reply and happy birthday man.

I must add, my wife and I were thinking long and hard about whether to take the plunge and order a new 997S....I've been on 2 test drives already but since they were only for about 10-15 minutes each (London dealers are notoriously untrusting), I was still not 100% sure.....but we saw your video and that was it, you convinced us...we simply had to get one! So thanks for your movie too!

Thanks for the welcome Dilinger. I've been a member of rennteam since November '04 but I'm only now getting down to finalising my 997S order. I guess you only really feel like you belong to any club when you can walk the walk and not just when you talk the talk...

As for the centre storage bin lid, I don't have any pictures but if you can get hold of a Porsche Exclusive brochure from your dealer, there should be a picture in there. I know there was a picture in the 996 Porsche Exclusive brochure. It says 'Carrera' in large italic embossed writing on the leather central storage bin lid. It just looks so cool. Kind of like the embossed head restraints. I'm not sure if you can get one saying 'Carrera S' for the 997S like you can for the stainless steel door entry guards. Worth checking out though!

Thanks for the info Trundle997S...cheers!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Fanch,

Thanks very much for making the effort to answer all my questions in such detail...really, really appreciated!

The first drink's on me if you're ever in London.

Rgds,
    ML

I'll hold your word for it!
    Should be next in London sometime in July.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge and insights. I'll be giving it all plenty of careful thought and hopefully, before too long, I'll post my planned spec list. If any of you have any views on that, I'd be glad to hear from you. In the meantime, thanks for all your help.

Rgds,
    ML

Congrats! post your spec sheet when you spec it, Porsche options can be confusing (at least they are to me sometimes) and people who have ordered already have lots of advice.

PS: glad you liked the video, makes me happy I did it

canit be you have mistaken the carrera logo with the cayenne logo on the cayenne center console?

No Dilinger - I've seen the Carrera logo with my own eyes!

yes i checked now!!you are right i am wrong!

BUT i got good news for you

you asked about carrera S logo, i believe it can be done

cause i ve seen a Cayenne S with a Cayenne S logo so it will be also available for carrera:)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    808545 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450196 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267622 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90838 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7758 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888247 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    837341 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM