Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche Paint to Sample

After so many years of request by customers, Porsche finally put together a proper catalog of their approved 'out of range' colours. 

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2021/products/porsche-models-comeback-historic-colours-paint-to-sample-options-26548.html

That the link to the  online webpage listing the currently certified PTS colours. Selectable via the custom colour option.

If one wants a more custom colour, it will be selectable by clicking the custom colour by sample checkbox. Where for basically double the option price, Porsche will test and validate the colour to see if it's usable on their cars. 

A more transparent process than what was before. Up until now, Porsche will take PTS requests, and check their 'secret' database of 'approved' 'pre-tested' colours and then make a decision to see if they will accept the order. 

The new finally completely state of the art paint shop helps immensely. In the old days PTS cars are mostly hand painted, hence the limit of about 5 cars a day. Now with the automated paint shop they can do up to 20 a day for colours can came from the approved list, which at current count is 105, on top of whatever standard offerings each model range is launched with. 

--

Re: Porsche Paint to Sample

Thanks for sharing. 
    Now to see if Porsche integrates it with the online config app (not holding my breath)

I was surprised by the limited number of reds compared to other shades. 

The online web app for car configuration is supposed to be updated soon to reflect the new expanded paint range. 

With these colours already tested and ready to go, they could be considered as 'standard' colours too, on top of the 16 or so for the 911/718 range already on the car config. That's 121 'standard' colour choices without going into true paint to sample range. It's a big leap for Porsche, and the whole car industry. No one else come close to offering as much choices.

Porsche knows where their $ comes from. They spent all that money upgrading their Exclusive department and the paint shop just so they can reap the benefits now. 

The Exclusive Series turbo S was a trial run for the new Exclusive Manufaktur, The Targa Heritage validated the whole process. Now they can start pumping out 'specials' like there is no tomorrow. 

They were already up agains the wall with the old paint shop, with the expanded production of the Taycan at Zuffenhausen, they badly needed a new one, so in the process they get to incorporate some new stuff just so they can paint special colours together with regular ones on the same line. 

Back in the days, They used to run a Special Request program, anything a client can dream off, they can do. But now with expanded production, it's became impossible and thus their Exclusive program went onto the back burner. Only doing a few really special cars for really special clients.

Now in the 21st century they got back the capacity to do more Exclusive stuff. And even restarted the Sonderwunsch program, Special Wish. 

--

Whoopsy:

Now in the 21st century they got back the capacity to do more Exclusive stuff. And even restarted the Sonderwunsch program, Special Wish.

Transforming a turbo S into a Turbo S RS with clubsport is maybe a future...hopefully they will understand their real hardcore fans' base and with a bit of open mind, how profits can flow into the pocket. Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    Whoopsy:

Transforming a turbo S into a Turbo S RS with clubsport is maybe a future...hopefully they will understand their real hardcore fans' base and with a bit of open mind, how profits can flow into the pocket. Smiley

You know they made that already right?

It's called the GT2RS. Last I checked it was a great sale success also. They take a turbo S, made it lighter by taking away the front drive, add more power, give it the RS treatment also with wings and suspension changes. You can't go any more hardcore on a 911 street car than a GT2RS. 

They even made a Clubsport version for really hardcore track duty called GT2RS CS.

What they need is a better bucket seat than the 918 bucket. One with a folding back and back adjustments. heck I will settle for a folding back just like the CGT bucket. 

--

Whoopsy:
    the-missile:
    Whoopsy:

Sure but I was referring to a proper Turbo S customized by a customer which turned out into a RS monster...about 3 decades ish ago. proper customer wish program - that would be a fantastic program to put back in service!

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Thanks for posting Whoopsy. At least a little bit more order now in the PTS. Had a looks at some of the colors. The renders are not that realistic I am afraid. 

What color did you end up choosing ? 

Colour accuracy will always be a problem in a digital world. Different displays will have different calibrations and rendering. But it's a start that they listed the colour names publicly and since all are historic colours, it's not too hard to google actual cars painted in those hues. 

Also interesting that all their chromaflair colours are not listed, nor is Golden Yellow Metallic as on the Exclusive. Chromaflair will fall under Paint to Sample Plus program and the lock out on Golden Yellow Metallic is still on. 

For me it is going to be viola metallic. I found Maritime Blue just does't go well with carbon fibre, I will find another car to take Maritime Blue. 

--

Whoopsy:

For me it is going to be viola metallic. I found Maritime Blue just does't go well with carbon fibre, I will find another car to take Maritime Blue. 

Will be such a special car with viola Smiley

the-missile:
    Whoopsy:
    the-missile:
    Whoopsy:

Sure but I was referring to a proper Turbo S customized by a customer which turned out into a RS monster...about 3 decades ish ago. proper customer wish program - that would be a fantastic program to put back in service!

Under much stricter modern government regulations, there are limits to how a 'production' car can be modified, especially regarding crash worthiness and fuel economy performance. 

Porsche's hands are tied in that regards. 

A turbo S substantially lightened by a customer will return a very different fuel economy rating, thus will need a new certification for example. USA mandates a backup camera, so even if one wants to have radio delete, there will still be a screen showing the camera image is another. 

But in the end, it's all about money, if a customer is willing to pay for everything including crash tests and fuel economy tests and developmental costs, pretty sure Porsche will build something. But that pool of buyers will be very very small, say the oil sheikhs of the Middle East, or Sultan of Brunei, or Putin, etc. 

--

Whoopsy:

Colour accuracy will always be a problem in a digital world. Different displays will have different calibrations and rendering. But it's a start that they listed the colour names publicly and since all are historic colours, it's not too hard to google actual cars painted in those hues. 

Also interesting that all their chromaflair colours are not listed, nor is Golden Yellow Metallic as on the Exclusive. Chromaflair will fall under Paint to Sample Plus program and the lock out on Golden Yellow Metallic is still on. 

There seems to be a bunch of colours missing. Ice Green metallic has been done recently for instance and isn't listed.

I'm liking the Alex Grey. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Whoopsy:

I found Maritime Blue just does't go well with carbon fibre, I will find another car to take Maritime Blue. 

Get yourself a 964RS in that color - iconic Smiley

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

About time - nice to hear.  You could order a Golf R in 40 colours a couple of years back for minimal cost.  Ought to be possible to do the same for a Porsche.  Ideally for less than $14k.

--

2019 911 GT3 RS,1964 Type 1

Mithras:
    Whoopsy:

There seems to be a bunch of colours missing. Ice Green metallic has been done recently for instance and isn't listed.

I'm liking the Alex Grey.

I was thinking of exactly this colour when I saw Whoopsy's post!

A shame that Ice Green metallic is not listed. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Honestly, Porsche isn't the best at even cataloguing their own stuff. Shocking but no, not really. It's on of their quirks if one can call it that. Like Ferrari cars' quality differs depending on which day they are built. 

As I understands, their old paint shop at Zuffenhausen, wasn't setup to do custom painting, hence why most PTS cars where done by hand and limiting their production numbers. 

When they upgraded the paint shop the painting robots have a set number of tanks to draw paint from for both 911 and Boxster/Cayman, those are the default ones on configurators. There is a separate 'injector' so to speak to supply the paint robots with custom paint, but that's manually fed and needs cleaning and flushing, so PTS can be done 'easier' and more can be finished but still slow. I believe they used to paint these PTS cars at the start of the day or end of the day to minimize down time.

Their current state of the art automated paint shop is built to accommodate all 3 model lines at Zuffenhausen, custom paint colours will still needed to be 'injected' but it's' self cleaning and flushing, so it's much easier to spray loads of different colours. But Porsche being Porsche, after painting the custom mix colours, they need to compare the final results to the test sample, that's why they say they can only do about 20 custom colour car a day.

Unlike their regular 'production' colours where they order hundreds of thousands of litres, the custom colours are mixed batch by batch on demand, hence the final validation process for colour accuracy.

--

Grant:
    Whoopsy:

I found Maritime Blue just does't go well with carbon fibre, I will find another car to take Maritime Blue. 

Lol, do you know how hard it is just to find a good one? Even harder to find a good one on Maritime Blue Smiley

--

DaveGordon:

About time - nice to hear.  You could order a Golf R in 40 colours a couple of years back for minimal cost.  Ought to be possible to do the same for a Porsche.  Ideally for less than $14k.

Audi too has about 80 exclusive colors available for around USD 4,000, last time one inquired.   Bentley has had over 100 exterior colors available on its palette for many years too.

About 20 years ago, I bought a new BMW e46 coupe and paid less than £1000 for BMW individual paint in Atlantis metallic (hence my user name). I did have to go through a German dealer rather than a UK dealer though. 

Whoopsy:
    Grant:
    Whoopsy:

Lol, do you know how hard it is just to find a good one? Even harder to find a good one on Maritime Blue Smiley

Macau edition???

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Taycan Turbo + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + BMWs (Z8 + 3.0 CSi) + Bentley Arnage T

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    813013 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    452887 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    272966 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91998 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    9239 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

891449 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    850596 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM