Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Embarrassment of Pre-Conceived Notions -- CGT

OK, ... Now I'm really embarrassed

The dealer just called me to ask about my insistence that they move the rear sway-bar setting to the middle hole from the stiff hole, as I wanted.

They said it was already set to the middle hole!

I answered that it sure looked like it had two holes showing toward the tip of the bar end. He said, "Yeah. It can look that way if you take a casual peek under the CF panel. But, when you get the CF panel off, it's really easy to see that it's already set to the middle hole. Is that where you want us to leave it?" Of course I do!

Oh boy, ... I feel so dumb now.

Then I thought about the mild "skittishness" that I reported in another post and then was embarrassed to remember that the owner's manual mentioned that the tires would not be correctly responsive until a few hundred miles had been traveled.

I've only been track driving since the 1970s

One would have thought that I might have remembered the cautions I had laid on other people about "green tire" surprises over those many years as an instructor. But, NO!

How many miles do my CGT tires have?

I'm embarrassed to show the odometer evidence below. I'll bet that the car behaves better when I get double the miles that are now showing

I think I'll be a bit more selective when I make certain statements from now on. Sorry for the misinformation.

Mea culpa.

Re: Embarrassment of Pre-Conceived Notions -- CGT

I wouldnt think it matters a bit how many mistakes you make, its just part of the fun of learning about your new car... and what a car!!

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    OK, ... Now I'm really embarrassed

The dealer just called me to ask about my insistence that they move the rear sway-bar setting to the middle hole from the stiff hole, as I wanted.

They said it was already set to the middle hole!

I answered that it sure looked like it had two holes showing toward the tip of the bar end. He said, "Yeah. It can look that way if you take a casual peek under the CF panel. But, when you get the CF panel off, it's really easy to see that it's already set to the middle hole. Is that where you want us to leave it?" Of course I do!

Oh boy, ... I feel so dumb now.

Then I thought about the mild "skittishness" that I reported in another post and then was embarrassed to remember that the owner's manual mentioned that the tires would not be correctly responsive until a few hundred miles had been traveled.

I've only been track driving since the 1970s

One would have thought that I might have remembered the cautions I had laid on other people about "green tire" surprises over those many years as an instructor. But, NO!

How many miles do my CGT tires have?

I'm embarrassed to show the odometer evidence below. I'll bet that the car behaves better when I get double the miles that are now showing

I think I'll be a bit more selective when I make certain statements from now on. Sorry for the misinformation.

Mea culpa.

Mike I have been subtly indicating that to you for over a year!

Regardless of your faux pas and though I do not personally know you, based on your driving experience I would say that you and your CGT are a match made in heaven.

Enjoy it in good health as I am sure you will.

fwiw, instead of looking re: the sway, it's easier to just put your hand on the nut (no funny jokes guys) and run your fingers to either side of it to feel the holes than it is to contort yourself for a visual.

yep, all ZR rates tires are going to need some scrubbing before giving you any confidence. these particular tires also need to be warmed up pretty good each time - though if it's 101 degress there in ohio...

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    One would have thought that I might have remembered the cautions I had laid on other people

Though you did not remember your own advice during the drive, you remembered post-drive -- a sign of a good instructor and a call for a toast:

Cheers!

Quote:
    W8MM said:

b.s. !!!
    the tires give their maximum performance when they are new, and I would say, when they are "fresh".
    When I use my race bike, before the race, i put new tires and that give the maximum of the performance

Quote:
    jecey said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:

b.s. !!!
    the tires give their maximum performance when they are new, and I would say, when they are "fresh".
    When I use my race bike, before the race, i put new tires and that give the maximum of the performance

That is not true Jecey, tyres NEED to be run in.
    Along with brakes they are the most important elements of a car that need to be run in.
    AT LEAST a few hundred kilometers.

Quote:
    jecey said:

jecey,

What kind of tires do you use when racing? Are they slicks or R-compound tires?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Mike I have been subtly indicating that to you for over a year!

Subtle?

Nick, is that really you?

Mike, it just goes on to show how a car like that can make one forget about braking in the tires and such... pedal to the metal!

Hoping to hear more impressions and updates ... lets all hope for good weather over Ohio!

Quote:
    jecey said:

Jecey, you are talking about slick or semi-slicks (supercorsas and such) which start working inmedicately after the first heat cicle, the extreme is clasification tires which only last a few laps, but work inmediately as soon as they are up to temp in a lap or so.

But "street" tires need to scrub off the outer layer to really grip, I have had my scares with new tires upon braking. At least 300km minimun are needed for adequate performance and even afterwards they have room to improve and will still get better and better until 1000-2000km when perfromance becomes stationary until thread wear decline. This depends also greatly on the tire brand/model also.

And especially streetcar tires more so than streetbike tires since they are harder compound, takes longer to wear generally than a bike's street tires.

Mike, you should INDEED be ashamed. Only 104 mls? If this baby would have been mine, I would have 1040 mls by now.
    Thanks for your feedback and yes, you're definetely right: the tires aren't "ready" yet.

With replacement tires, you should try to have them heat cylced before they are installed. In the US, Tire Rack will do that for you before shipment.

Saves having to break them in and other problems, like
    those @^&%@@&* Frggn Potenzas that suffer from compound
    shifts when they are heated up too many times too soon
    and become as hard as tracttor tires.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    With replacement tires, you should try to have them heat cylced before they are installed. In the US, Tire Rack will do that for you before shipment.

Jim - I think with street tires that heat cylcing would be unnecessary. The main thing is to wear off the mold-release agent on the tread which is best achieved with vigorous but careful driving for a few hundred miles.

I think that the heat wave in Ohio ( late march a@101 f, whew. ) may have something to do with your "forgetfullness".

Actually ,I believe this is just a simple case of new car giddiness, and I am glad to report that it SHOULD be normal for all CGT owners , it may even pass after a few months....

Enjoy!!

Quote:
    mason said:
    I think that the heat wave in Ohio ( late march @101 f, whew. ) may have something to do with your "forgetfullness".

It's amazing what a little front-radiator heat-soak will do on an 80F day for the outside air temp sensor, isn't it?

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    mason said:
    I think that the heat wave in Ohio ( late march @101 f, whew. ) may have something to do with your "forgetfullness".

It's amazing what a little front-radiator heat-soak will do on an 80F day for the outside air temp sensor, isn't it?

fwiw, les has weighed in on his purchase on both rennlist and 6speed. he put 200 miles on it today :-)

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Jim - I think with street tires that heat cylcing would be unnecessary. The main thing is to wear off the mold-release agent on the tread which is best achieved with vigorous but careful driving for a few hundred miles.

Heat Cycling is the way to go my friend. Not only are they ready to use sooner, they seem to last a bit longer, besides I cant wait the couple hundred miles!!!

I use Pirelli Supercorsa's ... DOT version (mandatory by the racing rules) ... homologated for road use. This is a racing compound, similar to the Pirelli Rosso Corsa for cars.
    With road tires, sure you need a couple of km to remove the dirty part, the thiny outter layer (what they used in the past was parafine, today is different product) ... but not more than 100 km. Road tires are less sensitive to heat cycles to my opinion. With race compound, you can accept between 5 and 10 heat cycles, but no more (I mean, a real heat cycle). With a road tire, much more before feeling any degradation.
    The only concern I have is with Michelin, car or bike, road or race compounds tires ... I hate these compounds because they really need to have a good temperature, and heated so much to give the max. potential.
    Did you check the pressure ?

Quote:
    jecey said:
    I use Pirelli Supercorsa's ... DOT version (mandatory by the racing rules) ... homologated for road use. This is a racing compound, similar to the Pirelli Rosso Corsa for cars.

Hey Jecey, thats what I'm using on my streetbike very grippy but need high temperature to work.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Mike, it just goes on to show how a car like that can make one forget about braking in the tires and such... pedal to the metal!

Probably the reason why so many Porsche are crashed on the first day of ownership.

Quote:
    jyiu said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

Probably the reason why so many Porsche are crashed on the first day of ownership.

fwiw, the CGT can be very challenging on cold tires. new tires are even worse than cold ones! so, it doesn't surprise me people smack em up early. i wouldn't be surprised if some of the accidents have not only been on new tires, but cold ones as well.

btw, the CGT tires have a much softer compound on the outer 1/3 (more akin to a corsa or even R compound) than do the rest of the tire in specific or Michelin PSs in general.

Walter Rohrl claimed around 10,000km (6k miles) for the tires on the CGT, sounds way too much but would be interesting to see if true...

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Walter Rohrl claimed around 10,000km (6k miles) for the tires on the CGT, sounds way too much but would be interesting to see if true...

i have 2100 and am about to order new ones :-)

2100? I wonder what use did Rohrl expect the owners would give to the CGT for the tires to last that long then

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    2100? I wonder what use did Rohrl expect the owners would give to the CGT for the tires to last that long then

well in truth, the fronts could probably go another thousand or two and i could probably stretch the rears another 500 to 1000. but they're not much more expensive than 996TT tires so i figure i might as well do it sooner than later. my suspicion is they will last considerably longer (ie: easily 6k miles) for most CGT owners.

6k miles then is impressive for such a car, no? at least exceeds my expectations, I'll get about 9k at the most from my PS2's and its a 300HP 996 carrera, and AWD!

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    6k miles then is impressive for such a car, no? at least exceeds my expectations, I'll get about 9k at the most from my PS2's and its a 300HP 996 carrera, and AWD!

i don't know about "impressive", but more than acceptable would be my term. also, i think if they are driven like a normal car, they'll go much longer than 6k. i'm probably not normal as i was on my fourth full set of tires on my 16k mile 996 when i sold it.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Heat Cycling is the way to go my friend. Not only are they ready to use sooner, they seem to last a bit longer, besides I cant wait the couple hundred miles!!!

Hmmm, never tried it with street tires. With MPSC's I found it made no discernable difference either. What tires did you use when it made a nice improvement. I'm willing to learn

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

It does not surprise me as Rorhl is a very smooth driver. He probably saves on break pads too. He is not a "binary" full on/full off throttle/break pedal pusher. A smooth driver breaks less, slides less, wears less, and... gets there first w/ far less splash. The wannabee pilot is typically hard driven, breaks hard, wears tires, makes more noise, and, at the end arrives to the finish line behind.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781484 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442714 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263423 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261790 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85912 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5959 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881546 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819313 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM