Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New Michelin Diamaris tire generation for Cayenne?

My Cayenne Turbo came with 20'' Michelin Diamaris N0 tires from the factory, these tires were great (dry/wet) but they lasted only around 10000 km. Now after the winter time is over here in Germany, I need new summer tires.
    Apparently the "N0" version of the Michelin Diamaris isn't available anymore and there is now a "N1" version available.
    I tried to do some background research to find out what has been changed and it seems that one thing has been changed for sure: how long the tire keeps it's rubber. The new "N1" tire seems to last at least 30-40% longer than it's predecessor. I also heard that dry/wet capabilities haven't changed, it is still a very good tire.

Just wanted to inform you guys, in the case your dealer tells you that the N0 isn't available anymore. It isn't.
    If tire dealers have still the N0 available, go for the N1 instead. In case of a tire damage, you might end up with a N1 tire instead of the N0 tire and mixing N0 and N1 isn't approved and definetely not recommended!

Re: New Michelin Diamaris tire generation for Cayenne?

Thanks RC!

Good information.

thanks RC! next time I change those tires on my 22", I will go for N1, I use the 285/35/22

Actually there will not be an "N" spec tire in 22". The largest wheel size Porsche approves tires for is 20".

Thanks, RC. Good info, as always. Do you know if the same applies to other sizes, - specifically the 19"? I've finally ordered a CTT with PK, having decided I could live with the 19" wheels. Will probably use the Diamaris for street and TRY to find something better for limited off-road.
    Thanks again!

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Actually there will not be an "N" spec tire in 22". The largest wheel size Porsche approves tires for is 20".

Right. I'm afraid DEETZ has to stick with non-N certified tires.

Quote:
    RC said:
    My Cayenne Turbo came with 20'' Michelin Diamaris N0 tires from the factory ...

Probably I have bad memory but Porsche dealers in Milan told me that Porsche Italy didn't recognize as "official supporter" Michelin but only Pirelli and Continental.
    I also had Diamaris (22) on my ML400 and I like it but if I want to fit on my Cayenne I'll have some problem in case of crash.

Quote:
    Sarnico 45 said:
    Probably I have bad memory but Porsche dealers in Milan told me that Porsche Italy didn't recognize as "official supporter" Michelin but only Pirelli and Continental.

This is absolutely not true, forget about what dealers tell you, some of them don't have a clue what they're talking about.
    Porsche "approved" and "official" tires always carry a N-classification like N0, N1 and so on. This N-classification is WRITTEN on the tire next to the tire size.
    N0 is usually the first generation, N1 the next and so on.
    Even if the tire is a Michelin Pilot Sport for example, as soon as it has a N0, N1 or whatever on it, it also has a completely different compound mixture and maybe even structure/profile than the "standard" tire of the same brand and name.
    Porsche works together with Bridgestone, Pirelli, Continental, Michelin and Yokohama. I may have forgotten one manufacturer but these are the most important ones.
    Michelin also sponsors club races, it is an official supplier for the Porsche Supercup and Carrera Cup Germany right now. So it would be pretty dumb of a dealer to say that Michelin is not an "official" supplier.

Michelin is also a sponser and exclusive supplier to the PCNA Porsche Driving Experience at Barber Motorsports in Birmingham. Porsche even used Michelin off-road tires on the Cayenne, even though there is no such tire available when you buy a Cayenne. For on-track Cayennes they used Diamaris 20".

thanks Austin and RC. I am sorry I defeat the purpose of this car, my car is totally useless in snow and off-road until I switch back to the 18" hahaha!

Surely I'm wrong, but when I wrote that Porsche Italy don't recognize Michelin I talk only about Cayenne model and not for all the Porsche car.
    Last december I fit yokohama winter tires buy from a italian Porsche dealer cause it was impossible to find pirelli or continental winter tyre.
    Porsche Haus (own by Porsche AG) in Milan told me that Yokohama winter tyre have not the certification from Porsche.
    And they told me that for Cayenne the certificated winter tyre are only Pirelli and Continental.
    Probably it's only a winter tyre problem.
    That's all.

I doubt that Porsche has certified any "real" winter tyres, those that are used in the nordic countries, that is. At least not studded ones. The requirements are quite different from most other countries that get snow at all.

Quote:
    denn said:
    I doubt that Porsche has certified any "real" winter tyres, those that are used in the nordic countries, that is. At least not studded ones. The requirements are quite different from most other countries that get snow at all.

I doubt that 90% of the "nordic" countries got the snow we got over here the past few weeks and months over here in Bavaria, Austria and Switzerland.
    To my knowledge, Porsche does winter tire testing in Finland and Sweden and the winter tires which are certified are REAL winter tires. If you're talking about tires with spikes, this is a different story. The 18'' winter tires recommended by Porsche are great in winter time, honestly. But I was dumb enough to get the 19'' tires for my Cayenne in the hope that I'm gonna retrofit the Powerkit. Now that a retrofit has been ruled out (too much money, especially since I may go for the facelifted Cayenne in 2 years), I'm "stuck" with the 19'' winter tires. They disappointed me a lot this winter but overall, they kept me running and this is what counts most when it is snowing.

I wish I'd seen this thread last week. We have a '04 CS with 20" Sportsdesign rims and Michelin Diamaris tyres . We bought the car used from the local Porsche dealer 6 months ago. The front 2 tyres were replaced by them before we took delivery.

I've recently checked them and they have the N1 rating. Our rears are N0. I know this as we had a slow puncture and had the rear replaced last week. Not knowing the difference I replaced the old N0 with a new N0 - so it seems the "old spec" tyres are still available here in the UK - I had quotes from a number of different places and was always aksed if it was No or N1 spec I wanted.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Now that a retrofit has been ruled out (too much money, especially since I may go for the facelifted Cayenne in 2 years), I'm "stuck" with the 19'' winter tires.

RC, what is the latest you have heard on the facelifted Cayenne? Many here think it will be out by the first part of 2007. I believe you have stated that it won't happen until the 2008 model year which would come out in the 3rd quarter of 2007.

Any updated news?

Phil

Quote:
    spize said:
    I wish I'd seen this thread last week. We have a '04 CS with 20" Sportsdesign rims and Michelin Diamaris tyres . We bought the car used from the local Porsche dealer 6 months ago. The front 2 tyres were replaced by them before we took delivery.

I've recently checked them and they have the N1 rating. Our rears are N0. I know this as we had a slow puncture and had the rear replaced last week. Not knowing the difference I replaced the old N0 with a new N0 - so it seems the "old spec" tyres are still available here in the UK - I had quotes from a number of different places and was always aksed if it was No or N1 spec I wanted.

I know you'll hate what I tell you now but you should definetely NOT run mixed N-designation tires. ALL four tires have to have the same N-designation, otherwise you could encounter some unpredictable driving behaviour in extreme situations.

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    RC, what is the latest you have heard on the facelifted Cayenne? Many here think it will be out by the first part of 2007. I believe you have stated that it won't happen until the 2008 model year which would come out in the 3rd quarter of 2007.

Any updated news?

Phil

Still the same rumour...Cayenne Facelift coming for MY 2008 (starting June/July 2007). It can't be excluded that some cars make it earlier to dealers in certain markets but I doubt that we see the facelifted Cayenne before april 2007 in the US.

Quite the opposite - I'm glad of the expert advice - thanks.

I just wished I'd happened on this info last week and I could have replaced the punctured N0 rear with a N1 tyre leaving just one to be replaced in the near future.

The car is going back to the OPC Mid April to have a few problems fixed (PCM suddenly wont read the Nav CD). I'll raise this issue with them then. If they deny mixing N0/N1 tyres is a problem (as I expect, since they'll have to change 2 tyres at their cost if they admit it) I'll ask them to put it in writing to me.

Quote:
    spize said:
    ...I'll ask them to put it in writing to me.

I'm curious to hear about the result.

Quote:
    RC said:
    My Cayenne Turbo came with 20'' Michelin Diamaris N0 tires from the factory, these tires were great (dry/wet) but they lasted only around 10000 km. Now after the winter time is over here in Germany, I need new summer tires.
    Apparently the "N0" version of the Michelin Diamaris isn't available anymore and there is now a "N1" version available.
    I tried to do some background research to find out what has been changed and it seems that one thing has been changed for sure: how long the tire keeps it's rubber. The new "N1" tire seems to last at least 30-40% longer than it's predecessor. I also heard that dry/wet capabilities haven't changed, it is still a very good tire.

Just wanted to inform you guys, in the case your dealer tells you that the N0 isn't available anymore. It isn't.
    If tire dealers have still the N0 available, go for the N1 instead. In case of a tire damage, you might end up with a N1 tire instead of the N0 tire and mixing N0 and N1 isn't approved and definetely not recommended!

My Dad is on his second set of the N1 version. The first set (N0) lasted 11,000 miles. The second set (N1) lasted 22,000 miles!!!

Yes, the N1 generation definetely lasts longer, I have the same experience.

Quote:
    My Dad is on his second set of the N1 version. The first set (N0) lasted 11,000 miles. The second set (N1) lasted 22,000 miles!!!

Thanks Matt. That's impressive mileage. I'm only getting 15,000 miles on the M&S rated Continental Contacts.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    spize said:
    ...I'll ask them to put it in writing to me.

I'm curious to hear about the result.

So - our Cayenne S went back to the dealer for a bust satnav and a few other gripes. They called me to point out I had N0 (rear) and N1 (front) tyres mixed which is not recommended. (I also had one of the N1 fronts which had wear on the side - still legal but needing replacing sooner rather than later.)

After I told them they supplied the car with that mix to me they came back and offered to change one tyre and do a 4 wheel re-align FOC if I paid for one new tyre for Pounds293 (as they felt I would need one tyre anyway).

I argued that they should change the tyres at their cost and I should pay for the re-align (two hours work?) as the tyres were their responsiblity and the current condition was irrelevent.

Bottom line - finally agreed on both fronts being changed and 4 wheel re-align done for Pounds238.

Problem solved
    So now I have 4 N0s

My thanks to you RC for giving me the info to fight this - if I hadn't already known it was a problem I might have agreed to a more expensive deal through not having time to process the info before decing on a solution.

My pleasure. BTW: the N0 isn't bad at all, it just seems to wear off faster.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780771 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442530 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263318 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261646 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85776 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5907 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881392 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818772 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM