Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

decision made - countdown on

Finally after going through major angst , i decided on colour. Started out as red, then went to atlas, came back to red but closed on gloss black . I know I added a lot of the same options as on the S and thats what I truly had intended to purchase but I went with the Base because its my first P car and I wanted to give myself room to grow and I liked the idea of the proven 996 engine. Drove both vehicles and loved both.

It's a May build date so it should be delivered mid to late June, (I'm keeping my fingers crossed).

BY the way this website is fabulous and all the posters really have a lot to contribute from an information standpoint. Kudos to the webmaster RC - My hat is off to you sir.

Heres my spec:
    Gloss black
    sand beige int. with black mats
    tip (daily driver)
    sport chrono
    pasm
    Bixenon
    19 carrera classics
    wheel caps
    6 cd player (wish they had Ipod )
    heated seats (we need these in Canada!)

The anticipation is mounting from the get go!!

Re: decision made - countdown on

very bice combo congratulations!!

Wheel caps you mean colored crests? or valve caps(metal)?

Just consider also BOSE! other than that and sunroof you choises will prove wise:!

Welcome to the forum and happy waiting:)

Dilinger , your very perceptive - yes I meant coloured crests i'm still learning!! Also I added the 3 spoke sport steering wheel. Actually my dealer called me and thought I might want to consider the Bose. I think I'l drop by and listen to them both this weekend to check out the difference - is it really that noticeable?

Congrats now comes the wait!...

you need to listen carefully, although if your dealer does not have a test drive car, you be obliged to listen when the car is standing still=no engine noise.

Basically, this issue has been debated before.

I ve listened to both before opting for BOSE.

Truth is .Difference is not so much and personally i would concentrate the difference in the bass section. the BOSE has more BASS than the "stock" Hi Fi.
    The stock is just fine and very satisfying,it is actually the Hi Fi upgrade on the 996.
    Now standard on 997 with 9 loudspeakers.

Its also a matter of personal taste,are you a music fan? What kind of music your listen to?:
    i belive for classical music for example BOSE is not needed.
    On the contrary ,for some club,mainstream,or RnB music BOSE is an add-on.

Before you listen to both , be careful to have the cars engine on, so that you also listen to engine sound, and moreover the soundsystem requires the engine to operate so that it can reach its optimal level of performance.
    Finally, when listening to both systems bring your own music ,dont be shy,test the Hi Fi, with your kind of music that you will be hearing soon in your car.

Finally, be warned.

In the 997 Hi Fi upgrades are non-existent at this point at least. In the future,i am sure you can find Hi Fi upgrades. The peculiarity of 997 is iptical fibres and sophisticated circuits,that makes it difficult for a technician to add features(loudspeakers,amplifiers)to your existing HiFi.
    So if this additional money is not an issue for you ,i would opt the BOSE ,just to be sure i wont be "needing" any upgrades in the future.They will cost you a lot, they will lead you in loosing your warranty,and you might create a problem with your car electronics,if you let some technician work on that field of the car.

Cheers,thats my opinion

Dilinger, thanks. Very good advice! I'll check it out this weekend. I listen to all kinds depending on the mood from classical to good old R&R and R&B. Listening to the engine though at first will be my first love- I love the low level grunnting that comes out of the pipes.

well there you go!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not intending to harass you in any way, I just don't see the sense in buying a standard Carrera, and then adding practically every "S" feature except the brakes and the engine. By the time you add up all your options that come as standard on the S, you could have the 3.8L motor big brakes almost for free.??

It's as if you're deciding, "I'll pay for a 997S, except please give me the weaker engine and brakes, so I have room to grow. Thank you."

Makes absolutely zero sense to me, but to each their own. I totally respect and appreciate both models, and their owners. But I don't understand (except for Dilinger, who had tax issue in his country) turning a blind-eye to the value of the "S" as a package, while paying just as much for a car that has NO additional or alternative content.

"Room to grow"? What does that mean? It's not as if you're deciding to dabble in Top Alcohol drag racing, before you step up to Top Fuel. Both the Carrera and the Carrera S are absolute teddy-bears to drive, it's not like you've got to practice your chops to be able to handle an "S". My mom has had harrier cars in her lifetime. And your worries about 3.8L reliability I also would suggest are paranoid and unfounded. The abusive and torturous tests that Porsche subjects to every new engine combo go well beyond what any private owner would ever subject their car to.

Just my miscellaneous ramblings.... I find your reasonings to be a tad nebulous.

I apologize if I come off as caustic, I just think that you are "over-thinking" this purchase, and that you'll regret it long-term.

BTW, my 6-speed is a daily driver. You don't have to justify your desire for a Tip. You just don't want to shift. That's fine. Hope you take my concern in the context it was intended..

Agree with Dilinger about the Bose. I haven't heard the stock system, but I'm not overly impressed with the upgrade. If I were to order again, that it the one option I'd leave off.

I find that when travelling on the motorway - in the UK anyway (at around 90mph), the cabin is too noisy to hear any delicate sound improvement without turning up the volume to a level which just gets uncomfortable. By comparison to Mercedes Benz's Bose systems (I'm used to a CL), it just doesn't seem to be of comparable quality. Then, when I'm driving in town, I never use it - I just wind down the window to hear that delectable sound at the back. Just my opinion..

Regarding sound systems in the 997, it's a choice between the lesser of two evils. Neither system is great, but at least the Bose has some "punch" to it, which is absolutely necessary for my grunge/rock/punk/jazz/blues tastes. I don't need to hear about distortion rates and graphs and charts and meters, I just need a system that can rock-out on-demand. The Bose does this far better than the standard, so even if it's costly, the alternative is whimpy, which is not an option for me.

69Bossnine go easy on him man!!

he is a new porsche owner.

I kind of agree with you though 100%

pic911 there is a very important issue to consider that many people dont (including me) when they buy a 997.
    The 997 is not a beast, or a mustang waited to be unleashed.
    Yes it is a very powerful machine,thats true, but dont expect the car to act like a dragster,its not a primative as it sound to be by its myth anymore.
    Its a car that can be easily driven by aged people.
    It has a lot of power,BUT it has the ability to pass that massive horsepower in the road.Dont expect to ride a machine that can stay alligned.These were just the old good days.

Buying the S will not lead you to misconfort driving due to more power. If you had never a Porsche you might not even notice this power difference at all. Both cars can be driven equally easy.
    Its not that the S is a beast and the standard is more friendly driver oriented.
    It is just that you will regret one day soon that you did not get the S!!

My noghtmares have not stopped yet:(
    i keep seeing that S thing chasing me down my house:(

So buy the S(if it is not a money issue), which will also save you money, and have the more power for free!!
    This is a choise you just cant regret my friend,whereas the standard model over the S...this can be easily the subject of your future mightmares.
    In any case both are great cars, and if your current car is not a fast one, you be totally satisfied with the 997.
    Just keep in mind that HP, acceleration,and performance are things that after a period of time,you just get used to them.
    I totally did with my 997, now i m keep thinking even if the S is enough.
    Just my thoughts

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I just don't see the sense in buying a standard Carrera, and then adding practically every "S" feature except the brakes and the engine.

I concur 69, I think this is a valid point. BUT I don't think Pic 911's car is loaded. Unless the delivery date for an S is several more months out, it doesn't make THAT much sense to order a _loaded_ carerra.

I'm sure he added up the cost of chosen options, and compared. I would take a "plain Jane" S before I'd get a non-S with excess options.

If PASM, xenon, wheels and caps,6cd, and sport chrono on the non-s add up to $10K USD, then get a plain Jane S. All you'd be missing is sport chrono and 6cd; which would be easy to do without.

69Boossnine thanks for your feedback. No ill will taken, I know all of these issues have arisen before re the decision on S vs non S. Your commentary is fully appreciated, for me it ended up being a personal decision. Trust me I pained over this issue extensively and had discussions with 996 owners on power requirements handling etc. In the end for me the extra power issue was not an issue I know the base brakes are excellent and plesee S owners don't take this the wrong way - the red calipers were a little to bling bling for me. I know the reliability issue may be totally unfounded but I felt better about sticking with the 996 base engine platform.

As far as tip goes Yes I hear you but I've got a bum bad shoulder from my youth hockey playing days that make it very tedious to constantly shift ( it's a real drag!!)

You don't come off as caustic at all I've read your posts and your a straight shooter and tell it like it is- Bravo!! By the way your mom sounds awesome if she's had harrier cars- its obviously been passed down!!

well sports chrono ,is an amusement, if you dont have it you cant appreciate it "!"""

As far as my options go it was about $10k difference between the 2. Right now I drive a 95 lexus es300 and a 04 Murano so I'm sure I will appreciate the power difference.

I'm thinking that this won't be my last P car as I've always been an enthusiast. i tried to spec it out with the performance options that made sense to me ie to enhance the driving experience ie pasm and sport chrono- that was my nebulous logic.

Oh, don't forget powerwise there's about a 7 percent difference in HP and Torque between the two models. You do the arithmetic. My point: unless you're shaving tenths of seconds off your daily trip to the Post Office, that's not a BIG difference.

Let me tell you a bit about my mom from the year I was born forward:

1967-1974... 1967 Pontiac GTO Sport Coupe H.O. 4-speed
    1974-1978... 1968 Shelby GT500KR fastback, auto w/ air conditioning (4-speeds with a/c were very rare, and we had moved from Ohio to Florida, needed a/c)
    1978-1983... the Shelby got "retired" (we still have it today, fully restored), and mom drove miscellaneous "stuff" as dad was constantly buying toys, and selling them for profit.
    1983-1989... Mazda RX-7 GSL 5-speed
    1989-1996... Thunderbird Super Coupe 5-speed
    1996-2000... Mustang GT 5-speed
    2000-2004... Corvette convertible 6-speed
    2004-present... Nissan 350Z 6-speed decked with NISMO exhaust and shifter.

Mom is 62 currently. Oh, and I forgot, in the late 80's and early 90's she campaigned a 1969 Camaro SS396 in NHRA Comp Eliminator throughout the Southeast. It was capable of low-9-second 1/4 miles!!

Sorry to hear about your shoulder, I realize that many Tip owners are driving out of more necessity than preference.

I respect your choice, even though I'd do it different. Yes, those red calipers stand out. Better than yellow though IMHO!! It's just that when it comes to performance, I've always been of the "if you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly" school of thought. But then again, I don't really desire a Turbo with all the wings and ducts, so we all have our point where styling and taste overrule pure speed.

well pic911,
    PASM, and sports chrono are indeed, great enhancements.

there are very good choices as i said previously.If you are not a maniac the 997-base- is a good choice.
    Go for it.
    Some people here have different expectations than others.
    So dont be misleaded.997 base was made for a purpose and a target audience. So go for the one you have in mind its your choice.
    Just watch the extras you place.some of them you cannot have the retrofitted.

i hope we helped you here rather than confused you !

69bossnine, WOW what a mom!! I can see where the grizzly came from - whew how did dad keep up. Anyway onward and forward hopefully my base will keep me on the edge of my seats until Porsche comes up with a new and improved version -i trust they will be constantly trying to improve what they already have. I'm also hoping one day to add that muscle car that I grew up with the shelby mustang that was shown in Gone in 60 sec. A company called unique performance does a rebuild from scratch that is authorized by Ford and carol shelby himself. For anyone interested go to uniqueperformance.com

Dilinger- For now I just can't wait for my first PCar. I'm already looking at my garage and spec-ing out what I need to do to keep this thing protected from our harsh canadian winters and all the humidity and salt that is used on our roads.

thanks for the moral support

dilinger what?

pic911s,
    How much will your car cost ?

nice choices... had the same color combo on my 996 -- contrast is great.

As for the cd changer... if/when they finally come out with the ipod link you will lose the ability to use the changer. Might want to think about that and delete it.

or get it now or else it will cost you a fortune!

Cool! You car will look something like this!

Holminator
    I've seen your pics. I think theyre what swayed me to get the gloss black. Love the look. You seem pretty happy so far with your base. Any downsides from looking at my spec sheet? Do you have the sport seats in yours. thats the only other option I'm really still debating about.

Get the Bose, its not the best but its better than getting your car all cut up and anyway with the PCM/Radio combo, it will be very hard for aftermarket guys to upgrade without butchering your car. That in itself is worth something.

i got sport seats! look great, i am thin so i thought they will be confortable, but my shoulders are pushed out

Nice color combo! That is definately the hardest decision in my opinion..

Thanks Dilinger, I'm going to the dealer tonight to try them both out (yet again!!).

You know ocnatv definitely colour was tough but I'm finding that pretty well every option is a painstaking decision certainley for a newbie like me who is still trying to find out what I like and what I don't.
    I'm sure that after a couple of months after I receive my car (Late June I'm told) I'll figure out what it is that I love and hate about my option package and what I missed out on.

Dilinger, you know I think that nightmare thing with the S that chases your down showed up last night and I had a horrible night sleep. I'm better this afternoon but man does that thing come back all the time??

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780804 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442541 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263327 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261654 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85788 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5908 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881400 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818792 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM