Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: The new Ford GT

Why should we care why this Salmon guy will get one or not?

I will not be able to get one and now I am not interested in this car.

My next target is 991.2GT3 manual, and Panamera sport turismo.

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Yeah, I didn't get one either.

However, if you go to the Ford GT forum, tons of FGT owners over there got allocation. It's pretty clear that Ford definitely favored the FGT owners just like they said they would.

Nope, I have a friend who had 5 and still have 3, and he races them too. Nope, Ford told him to fuck off.

He will be auctioning off all his Fords, not just FGTs. 

--

Maybe it's a Canada thing. On the Ford GT forum, over 60 people have so far said they got allocation vs far few on every other forum.

Safe to say FGT owners were definitely favored.

Your friend sounds like a whiner. Has 3 Ford GTs and throws a fit because he can't get the new one. Can't say I ever shed a tear for a guy with triples of exotic cars. His Ford GTs have no doubt been excellent investments too.

He is American. From California.

--

Maybe he didn't get a car because he made so many videos? yes

In my experience, car manufacturers don't really appreciate honest reviews and if the Ford GT isn't the car Ford says it is...especially since that Salomondrin guy has a very good comparison to other cars in this class, what then? Ford could end up with giving a person a Ford GT who then writes a crappy review about it. So why give him a car in the first place?! angry

Just look at those reviews from Autogefuehl or whatever...do they really say something bad about the cars they review? yes They always try to find the right "tone" to keep manufacturers happy. Manufacturers hate criticism.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

These limited edition cars are ridiculous. Nobody wins except a very few people.

To be fair, this car isn't exactly a money maker for Ford. They don't make and probably never will make anything like it, thus they can't really even directly filter down the technology to other cars like 918/P1/LF. It's actually produced in Canada by Multimatic, not even in a Ford factory. They're selling it at 1/2-1/3 the price of such cars from other manufacturers.

They'd probably need to sell way more than 750 for it to be a sound business model, and selling too many would actually probably hurt demand.

I wish it was unlimited, but I can understand why it isn't.

RC:

Maybe he didn't get a car because he made so many videos? yes

In my experience, car manufacturers don't really appreciate honest reviews and if the Ford GT isn't the car Ford says it is...especially since that Salomondrin guy has a very good comparison to other cars in this class, what then? Ford could end up with giving a person a Ford GT who then writes a crappy review about it. So why give him a car in the first place?! angry

Just look at those reviews from Autogefuehl or whatever...do they really say something bad about the cars they review? yes They always try to find the right "tone" to keep manufacturers happy. Manufacturers hate criticism.

I was't talking about Alejandro. It was someone else.

--

I know, sorry...didn't want to reply to you but to Topspeed and the letter he posted. frown

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Shmee150 is getting one indecision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDjp8U5c5Nk

Topspeed:

Shmee150 is getting one indecision

.... exactly reinforces RC's point re. people who do non-critical reviews. 

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Tim has a huge digital presence, does a good job with upbeat reviews and has quite the stable. He could also sell snowballs to Eskimos.Smiley 

His look at the ugraded Ferrari FF/ Lusso was the best on the net, he def has talent.Smiley

The thing with those cars is, that they are like winning a small lottery. You receive that beautiful car and can sell it after a while with a huge premium. Safe to say that we all most probably would have bought one. Most of the "interested people"are buying them exactly because of that reason to earn instead of burn money. The real "enthusiast" which cares about the car and not so much about loosing some bucks, most probably will not get one.

Well I guess it must be the real enthusiasts who do not care about loosing so much money that are buying them at the huge premium! yes

--

Cayman GT4, Racing Yellow, PCCB, 918 Style Full Buckets

Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Dogleg Manual, Colour tba, Buckets (on order)

Lars997:

The thing with those cars is, that they are like winning a small lottery. You receive that beautiful car and can sell it after a while with a huge premium. Safe to say that we all most probably would have bought one. Most of the "interested people"are buying them exactly because of that reason to earn instead of burn money. The real "enthusiast" which cares about the car and not so much about loosing some bucks, most probably will not get one.

A good friend of mine will get one. He is a petrol head and far from speculator. He also has the 2005 Ford GT, so there are some non speculators getting their hands on these. 

tso:
    Lars997:

A good friend of mine will get one. He is a petrol head and far from speculator. He also has the 2005 Ford GT, so there are some non speculators getting their hands on these. 

Tom - this is great to hear! 

On the other hand side - I do always a bit "special" for my clients too. So at the end, it is not more than fair that the best clients will have an advantage, isn't it?

Adam2S:

Well I guess it must be the real enthusiasts who do not care about loosing so much money that are buying them at the huge premium! yes

SmileySmileySmileySmiley

Didn't see it this ways - but yep, you are right! Smiley

Lars997:
    tso:
    Lars997:

Tom - this is great to hear! 

On the other hand side - I do always a bit "special" for my clients too. So at the end, it is not more than fair that the best clients will have an advantage, isn't it?

Absolutely Smiley

On the other hand it must have been a nightmare to select the clients, or rather deselect, with so many NOT getting one.

Why Ford is making a huge mistake with its new GT

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1105296_why-ford-is-making-a-huge-mistake-with-its-new-gt

This was posted by DBK on SVT forum:  I'm gonna explain this to you in detail right now. This is not conjecture, this is a fact. And before anyone asks, I do not, nor have I ever, worked in any capacity for Ford.

Ford is not a boutique car maker. They are a full line manufacturer that produces products all the way from a $14k Fiesta to a loaded $75k Super Duty ranch truck. They sold 2.6 million cars last year around the world for $140 billion worth of revenue.

What is the point of this information? 

Ford does not have one singular constituent group they have to satisfy with this car. They have 3,000+ dealers in the U.S alone. They have suppliers that produce parts for vehicles like the F-series pickup that get produced in volumes measured in the hundreds of thousands. They have motorsport partners that participate with them in racing endeavors across the globe. They have fleet customers that buy vehicles not just by the hundreds or thousands, but in the tens or hundreds of thousands. I put in a little bit of help with Ford putting on the GT owner hospitality at Le Mans, and one of the attendees' companies had purchased a six-figure volume of cars from Ford. It was not a six-figure dollar amount of cars, it was over 100,000 vehicles. They also indicated they would consider a number of "influencers" with large followings that get lots of media exposure. It was clear from the application that all these groups would be considered.

Despite these various constituencies, far and away the largest group of allocations ultimately went to existing GT owners. And when I say this, that doesn't even include GT owners who were allocated a car based on qualifying out of the other categories. The amount of allocations granted to existing GT owners was multiple times higher than the next biggest group. That is not conjecture. That is a fact told to me directly.

With that information in mind, I've counted over 70 Ford GT owners so far who have willingly admitted they were granted a Ford GT on my website, Ford GT Forum. Out of those 70+, I've also counted at least 40 I know who were original owners that have had their car for 10-12 years. You can do the math on what that means for an allocation pool of 500. I've seen a bunch of silly bullshit from uninformed internet clowns claiming Ford just gave cars to celebrities or YouTubers, but I'm not fabricating these people. I know a ton of them personally from 11 years of being deep into Ford GT. Ford told everyone GT owners were going to get priority. They got it. That doesn't mean everyone with a GT was getting an initial 500 allocation. If that was your impression, you aren't great at math.

Shmee in particular getting a car seems to be drawing a lot of attention. Let me start by saying if you think Ford gave Shmee a Focus RS, you don't know shit about Ford Motor Company. You'd be wiser trying to turn water into wine than trying to get a free car out of Ford. I digress. I'm not going to trash the guy. I don't watch his videos, but I met him briefly at Le Mans and he seemed like a decent dude, and I wish I was rolling as hard as he apparently is from getting people to watch his car videos on the net. I can't blame Ford for selling him the car. At all. There are a very small amount of people with that amount of reach, and no matter what else you think of the guy, he shares his cars with the public. I'm too old to be the Shmee target market, but Ford has made no bones about it: they view performance vehicles as a driver in the market for the future with young people, and this is a manifestation of that philosophy. 

Additionally, nobody in the US is competing with Shmee for an allocation. He's competing with a small number of UK buyers that applied for a mega dollar LHD car. My initial information says that about 24 cars are going to the UK. Ford sold 101 Ford GTs in Europe in 05/06 and they sent 27 of them to the UK. That's not a big spread of people Shmee was burning an allocation from. He's certainly not screwing anyone in the U.S out of a car, and honestly, he's not screwing anyone at all.

Back to the overall allocation plan. There were 6,506 applicants. At this time, Ford granted 500 initial allocations. If you consider that Ford GT owners were given priority, you need to factor in that they built 4,038 cars in 2005 and 2006. From my own experience with a large number of multiple-GT owners and a small number of truly wiped out cars, I'd estimate maybe 2500 owners of the car. It would appear the vast majority of them applied for the new GT. I was never a math genius, but I recognize the long odds. It was inevitable that some bad ass people, and some serious Ford enthusiasts, were going to be unable to get one of the initial 500 allocations.

I'll also leave you with this. Ford has publicly committed to racing the GT for 4 years. That requires a nine-figure racing budget. You tell me if you think they are going to race the car for 4 years but build it for 2. It absolutely BLOWS MY MIND that people would know this information, see how favorably Ford GT owners were treated in the initial process despite the huge number of people from a diverse array of constituencies they had to satisfy, and then trash the **** out of the company for not granting them one immediately. To me that says getting the car was less about getting the car because you want it, and more about getting one because you want a trophy to say "I'm better than everyone else." I am sincerely disappointed for many people, including many GT owners that I know, that they didn't get one of these 500, but some of the insane crybaby tactics from others are a crazy example of the entitlement some people think comes with a big wallet.

And in the words of Tony Soprano, "you're entitled to shit."

*just an edit to make clear, I am absolutely not applying the above to Treynor. He is a class act that reacted as a reasonable adult would, and I'm sure he'll be feeling terrible driving his LaFerrari or P1 or TdF or Av SV to take his mind off it.*

Why not make 2000 GTs? 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Check the link above:

Ford hasn’t said why it’s chosen to limit production. The last GT was built over two years and saw more than 4,000 examples leave the factory.

It could be that production constraints for the new GT or the possibility Ford is losing money on each of the cars, even with a $450k starting price, had some influence in the decision. And to be fair, the 500 build slots only represent two years of production, so it could be that Ford is planning to make more cars available at a later date

"Ford leaves open the possibility that more GT's could be produced after the initial 500, though we wouldn't bank on it."

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a30154/ford-gt-rejection-letter/

Remember, Ford doesn't manufacture these in a giant, tooled factory that shares a line or platform with anything else. It's constructed by Multimatic in Canada and there are limits to how many they can produce given the investment in time and capital Ford wants to make in this project.

Sure, they could extend production to 4 years or 6 years and make 3000 or whatever, but they have their goals and strategies just like any other company. It's not like Porsche or Ferrari made as many 918s and LFs as they possibly could. It's a project, it serves a purpose, and you move on.

At the end of the day, Ford deals production in the millions, not the thousands. You could easily argue any more money and time spent producing more GTs could better be spent on a model that will sell in the hundreds of thousands and generate billions in revenue and suit long-term strategies.

F150 and Ford Focus importance >> GT importance

At the end of the day, the new Ford GT uses the engine from a Ford F-150..................................

--

Whoopsy:

At the end of the day, the new Ford GT uses the engine from a Ford F-150..................................

Fastest F150 I've ever seen!Smiley

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Hah. In name, perhaps.

Hi kingjr9000, Great post, there might one other class of car collector/buyer and that is the kind of guy who buys a rare car just to keep some other guy, who they don't even know, from getting one.enlightened I have seen that happen with original Cobras. 

With demand from the global exotic car market and Fords business empire they aren't going to be able to please everyone, just impossible to do so out of the gate.

noone1:

Hah. In name, perhaps.

You have a very different definition as to how engine similarity is defined. Perhaps drank too much of the McLaren KoolAid about all their cars have 'different" 3.8L V8 engines.

Don't forget, Ford went to great lengths to stressed the new Ford GT has a EcoBoost V6 engine, same engine as in hitter best seller F-150 EcoBoost.

It wanted the public to know it's the same engine.

That same engine in the Ford GT is being detuned from 600HP to around 450-500 for the SVT Raptor. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    801948 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448001 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265707 323
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    264422 288
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89826 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6260 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

884816 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831257 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM