Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

996 Turbo/Turbo S and PCCB

I'm afraid I have to tell you guys that the PCCB brake used on the 996 Turbo and 996 Turbo S is still the "old" generation PCCB and not the new type used for the 997.
    The brake discs have been improved in the past, even for the 996 Turbo/S models. But the 997 PCCB generation is another huge step forward. I tell you this because the PCCB on the 997 also feels different than the PCCB on the 996 Turbo/S and I don't want you guys to get a wrong idea about the PCCB.

Re: 996 Turbo/Turbo S and PCCB

Thx for the clarification. Any word on whether the PCCB of 996TTS is less problematic than prior iteration? Have any of the German car mags tested the 996TTS yet? From P website, sounds like 997 PCCB has a new system of cooling vents for its PCCB...is that main technical difference?

oh well, don't plan to track my TT-S anyway

my incoming GT3 has the steel brakes.

Not sure if this is right RC. Porsche UK website:

Quote:
    With PCCB, you can explore the potential for which every Porsche is designed. It is a powerful union of advanced technology and our desire to exceed our own expectations. As a result, it adds an even greater standard of safety and all-round agility to the already exceptional capability of your Porsche.As you might expect, PCCB is the most advanced braking system ever developed for a standard road-going Porsche. The new evolution is offered as standard equipment on the 911 GT2 and 911 Turbo S, and as an optional extra on the new 911 Carrera and 911 Carrera S.
    For more information ask your

Quote:
    JasonC said:
    Not sure if this is right RC. Porsche UK website:

Quote:
    With PCCB, you can explore the potential for which every Porsche is designed. It is a powerful union of advanced technology and our desire to exceed our own expectations. As a result, it adds an even greater standard of safety and all-round agility to the already exceptional capability of your Porsche.As you might expect, PCCB is the most advanced braking system ever developed for a standard road-going Porsche. The new evolution is offered as standard equipment on the 911 GT2 and 911 Turbo S, and as an optional extra on the new 911 Carrera and 911 Carrera S.
    For more information ask your

I recently saw two Turbo S and two GT2 Mk2 and both had the old version. You can tell it by the holes of the brake discs.
    Maybe newer cars get the new version but I have no confirmation for that yet.
    Judging from that article on the UK website, it might be the case that new builds get the new version. I just wanted to correct an older statement where I said that the "new" PCCB will be installed on the Turbo S too. Maybe I was right but the four cars I saw weren't equipped with it.

if this is true, and my TT-s cab doesnt come with the new ones,

i would have to have my dealer replace it with the new ones.

for free, naturally.

How about the ones on the CGT? Are they the old or new generation?

i believe they are an entirely different derivitive, and are much larger than those found on the other models.

Quote:
    ha said:
    How about the ones on the CGT? Are they the old or new generation?

The old apples and oranges story...

Quote:
    JasonC said:

Why do I get the feeling that I'm being sold soap??

Stephen

Quote:
    FixedWing said:
    Why do I get the feeling that I'm being sold soap??

Stephen

Because you didn't drive the new generation yet for comparison? It is a difference like day and night, try it, you're gonna love it. Of course I can't say much about track racing capability but from what I heard, it should last at least three times as long as the steel brake and without the well known "chipping out" of chunks of brake disc material.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Because you didn't drive the new generation yet for comparison? It is a difference like day and night, try it, you're gonna love it. Of course I can't say much about track racing capability but from what I heard, it should last at least three times as long as the steel brake and without the well known "chipping out" of chunks of brake disc material.

It is true Christian that I haven't and that I should. Anyone care to lend me their 997S so that I can abuse it for a while?

But seriously Christian, what I was really responding to is the text:

Quote:
    With PCCB, you can explore the potential for which every Porsche is designed. It is a powerful union of advanced technology and our desire to exceed our own expectations. As a result, it adds an even greater standard of safety and all-round agility to the already exceptional capability of your Porsche. As you might expect, PCCB is the most advanced braking system ever developed for a standard road-going Porsche.

It reads like a soap commercial where everything is cleaner, whiter, brighter. Read through it. They don't say or promise a thing! It is just a bunch of verbiage without any real meaning. What does it mean to "explore the potential for which every Porsche is designed"? Does this mean I can track it? I don't think so. But they sure seem to be trying to give the impression that Porsche is something special. What is "a powerful union of advanced technology" and what does it mean to "exceed [their] own expectations"? Even when they seem to be saying something it is really immeasurable. "[A]n even greater standard of safety and al-round agility" - what exactly does that mean? And how do I measure it? Ditto for "most advanced braking system ever developed..."

Instead, where is the specific information on what this system will do? Absolutely no solid information is provided. And I really do not think this is an accident.

Stephen

every time i goto the porsche PCCB website, it contains revised text.

Maybe the "standard" customer would be too much confused with more detailled technical information?

AMS recently tested the brake systems of the 997 Carrera S (PCCB equipped) and many other cars in the mountains.
    The PCCB equipped 997 Carrera S had the best results.

The thing I actually like most about the new PCCB generation is the very good possibility to apply a precise dosage of brake force. It is a very "linear" brake feel which changes with every cm when raising or lowering the pressure upon the brake pedal. It is hard to describe in English but maybe you get my point. The better brake dosage feel allows me to brake much later because I have a precise feeling of brake effectiveness at the limit.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Maybe the "standard" customer would be too much confused with more detailled technical information?

AMS recently tested the brake systems of the 997 Carrera S (PCCB equipped) and many other cars in the mountains. The PCCB equipped 997 Carrera S had the best results.

The thing I actually like most about the new PCCB generation is the very good possibility to apply a precise dosage of brake force. It is a very "linear" brake feel which changes with every cm when raising or lowering the pressure upon the brake pedal. It is hard to describe in English but maybe you get my point. The better brake dosage feel allows me to brake much later because I have a precise feeling of brake effectiveness at the limit.

And maybe Porsche AG doesn't want to be forced to deliver on their performance claims? By selling their cars like soap it makes it appear that they are making grand performance claims when in fact they are saying nothing at all.

I must admit Christian that your latest posting has me very intrigued. Most people were raving about the feel of the PCCB's when in fact I thought that they felt worse than did the original case iron system. They were "ok" when the pads were new but as soon as the pads had been overheated a bit the feel became just terrible. My guess is that your brakes still feel good because the pads have never got to the point of overheating. If so, then maybe they really are cured? If they really do provide better feel at the limit then they are worth the extra price.

What is "AMS" ??

Stephen

AMS is "Auto motor und sport". A leading german car publication.

Thanx Ha. :-)

:-)

I saw this excerpt posted on Rennlist. What do you think?

"Hi guys;

Went to the New England auto show Sunday and Porsche had 2 '05 996TT's on display, one coupe and one cab.

The cab was guards red/black with a sprinkle of options. The coupe was lapis/black with full carbon, aero kit, painted wheels etc.

First the PCCB's. First thing I noticed was the disks. They look like machined steel, also, I could fit my index finger in the cooling slots between the inside and outside disk surface, and these were also very smooth. Two things that I remember were different from the pccb's I say on an '03 last year where the disks looked grainy and the cooling slats were rough.

In addition, "TURBO" was engraved on the alloy hats of the disks. Does this mean there are 4 different pccb possibilities for '05?

They had the aluminum dials with "TURBO S" engraved on the tach. Also "TURBO S" appeared on the lower front console (the coupe did not have the console badge however).

The cab also had the standard "GT silver" turbo wheels. GT silver is dark boys-looks more like seal gray than 'silver'. My opionion is it looks as if someone forgot to clean the brake dust off-but just my opinion.

I remember at least one of the cars had Bridgestone rubber.

Unfortunately both cars were locked so I couldn't get inside. The booth was (wo)maned by 3 gals with PCNA badges. Questions were immediately fielded by local sales reps pulling show duty so they were no help.

So for those of you that have one on order, the turbos have landed.

Regards,
    BD"

Just saw my dealer to sign lease docs etc. He affirmed that he new cars all have the new PCCB.

No car yet, apparently the date in the system was an estimate. Do have an apology from the head of PCGB but still no car!!

RC stop apologizing for your english, you're making all of us american educated people look bad.

Having just read the Christophorus mag article on the new PCCB discs, I can confirm that my Turbo S does have the new version. Key differentiators apprently are:

1. Square rather than rectangular cooling ducts.

2. Irregular pattern of holes in disc rather than the swirl design.

3. Disc actually looks different (but you have to know what the old ones were like for this to help).

The turbo S that I'm getting also has the newer version. It appears that some of the early cars had the old PCCB, unless those were pre-production models.

Quote:
    RC said:

Porsche used to give out more precise information reg. their brakes. The brake performance on the 993 and 996 Turbo were measured and announced in hp numbers (something between 1400 and 1600 hp for the models) and I haven't heard any of these numbers on the new PCCB system.

In fact Porsche should have one of the most technical orientated - and probably informed also - customer group amongst car manufacturers. There is no need to understand anything what they write but the current way of giving out "soap slogans" and prohibiting serious track use for the PCCB system does not really help...

Besides that I can only agree that the PCCB system on the 997 is astonishing and in combination with the Michelin tires deliver a performance that I was always looking for on a street car! Couple of brakings from 290 to 90 kph occurred without any discomposure in the chassis or fading.
    I cannot say anything regarding durability or wear-out but I did have some brake dust on the front wheels.

Greetings!

Rc : an other question for you! :-)
    the pccb's code on my 997 rotors is 996.XXX........
    Please look yours .....and tell me

ciaoo!

Quote:
    sergini said:
    Rc : an other question for you! :-)
    the pccb's code on my 997 rotors is 996.XXX........
    Please look yours .....and tell me

ciaoo!

And there also is a TURBO lettering on them, right?

Yes!

My '05 Turbo S has build date 11/04, last 5 digits of VIN are 85127. It has the new PCCB.

Quote:
    aj996tt said:
    My '05 Turbo S has build date 11/04, last 5 digits of VIN are 85127. It has the new PCCB.

AJ,
    Get written confirmation from your dealer that your PCCB will be the same as the 997 ones.
    The first version are not very good for heavy trak use for example, this is where the new ones are a huge improvement.
    Hope you will get the 997 ones.
    Good luck.

Wlll do, Fanch, thanks for the heads-up. BTW there was a guy who posted on another forum that he wants to sue Porsche over PCCB quality on the grounds that there was negligence in not informing owners of problems. Personally, I wouldn't consider suing- my expreience with the many Porsches that I've owned is that Porsche is a responsible company that wants to make things right for the customer.

Quote:
    aj996tt said:
    Personally, I wouldn't consider suing- my expreience with the many Porsches that I've owned is that Porsche is a responsible company that wants to make things right for the customer.

aj,

If you have concerns after a D/E , try contacting PCNA and see how helpful / customer focus they are.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    810378 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    451015 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    268376 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91388 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8199 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

889622 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    844374 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM