Re: Where to buy CGT ?

I know 2 for sales there (Monte-Carlo)

> 2004 - 440 000 Euro (2000km)
    > New - 490 000 Euro (54km)

Quote:
    EricAlain said:
    Just to add my 1 cent comment.

Nick said at some point that Porsche sold only around 70 CGT. This is not true.

CGT sales in North America are not bad at all !!!!

In 2004 (calendar), Porsche delivered to final customers 188 units and 11 were sold in Canada or a total of 199. So far this year (Jan and Feb), Porsche delivered 38 units in the US and 1 in Canada or a total of 39.

If we now move to FY (Aug to July) to align with Porsche's reporting period, we see that in FY 03/04, 80 units were sold in North America (US+Can) and so far this year (7 month into FY 04/05), 158 units were delivered.

Let's look at output.
    FY 03/04 270 units (28 in H1 and 242 in H2)
    H1 04/05 323 units

So, so far this year (fiscal), more or less 50% of Porsche's output is going to North America which is in line with Porsche overall sales. If it was not the case in 2003/04 it's because, deliveries in the US started way after those made in Europe and in other countries. 1 CGT was delivered in January 2004, 3 in Feb 04 and 4 in March 04 .... and now the monthly rate is around 20-25 units per month.

Bottom line, I'm pretty sure, Porsche will be able to sell 1,500 units over 3 years (FY).

I indicated I had heard only 70 CGT's sold here. Keep in mind that shipping them here does not mean they have been sold. Many orders were cancelled and the dealers had to take delivery.Also, because of regulations on airbags in 2006, Porsche is flooding the US market this year. Will they sell more than 70 in the US? Of course! But at what price? Those that are interested in buying one are offering to pay substantially below MSRP. If they agree to pay MSRP they should have their head examined.

Carlos you continue to not understand the difference between performance and value.Your list deals with over all value of an autonobile. The 350Z and the Corvette when compared to the 996/997 have come out ahead as to the better car in more than one magazine. The only magazines that rated them below the 997 are the British ones.

Also, if a 350Z can stay with a 997 and a Corvette beat a 997 on any track for less money that would not put a smile on your face?

BTW, a modified Ruf 993TT indeed stays with a CGT. Take my word on it.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Carlos you continue to not understand the difference between performance and value.Your list deals with over all value of an autonobile. The 350Z and the Corvette when compared to the 996/997 have come out ahead as to the better car in more than one magazine. The only magazines that rated them below the 997 are the British ones.

Also, if a 350Z can stay with a 997 and a Corvette beat a 997 on any track for less money that would not put a smile on your face?

You should know better how much value weights vs performance, you are waiting for a car that cost much much more than other sportcars for little to no performance advantage so when you consider the whole package you would agree with me that the pricetag of a 350Z vs a 997 or a Z06 over a F430 would not make the 350Z/Z06 better choices if you can afford the 997/F430. An in the case of the 997 even more so because you get added safety, practicality andversatility, performance, trackability, etc. among other things over the 350Z that you don't get get with the F430 over the Z06

As to the track, have you driven a 350Z in a track? cause I know people who have and they claim it was pathetic, after a few laps the car was worthless (the chrysler crossfire held itself up better that day, yes, the crossfire ). Wanna know how much a vette costs here in europe? $90,000 for the base vette... and how much it costs then after you drive it off the lot?

Really guys, we need to stop this. Nick...you have to quit "thread-jacking" whenever a CGT thread pops up. The original purpose of this thread was to help a fellow member locate a CGT, not debate depreciation figures and the car's worth. It's like the board is repeating itself, CGT thread pops up...Nick comes to bash Porsche's depreciation and the value of P-cars...us enthusiasts come to defend Porsche. I'm tired of it.

Let it rest Nick! We all know where you stand already. I mean...look at your buddy Ben. First, he was all worried about the depreciation of the CGT and it's hard to handle characteristics...even threatening to back out of the car. Now look, he's completely changed his tone. He loves the car, more so than his Stradale and even commented I think on 6-Speed that he doesn't really worry about the depreciation. He's gonna drive the CGT and enjoy it!

You always fail to account that Ferrari's depreciate too and many cars on the market can match the performance of say an F430, 575, etc. In all your responses, you fail to counter the realities mentioned above and also put forth by members like Carlos. I LOVE Ferrari Nick, I would die to have one in my garage. As mentioned ages ago...we don't go to the Ferrari side, questioning your marquee every time a thread shows up and I think you need to stop this on the Porsche board.

It's ridiculous...but who knows, maybe you crave the attention.

Cheers,
    -Nick

P.S.: Who knows...maybe in 10-15 yrs time, the CGT will be worth a lot too. Take the 959 for example - pristine ones are going for nearly 300k USD.

Quote:
    A430v said:
    Really guys, we need to stop this. Nick...you have to quit "thread-jacking" whenever a CGT thread pops up. The original purpose of this thread was to help a fellow member locate a CGT, not debate depreciation figures and the car's worth. It's like the board is repeating itself, CGT thread pops up...Nick comes to bash Porsche's depreciation and the value of P-cars...us enthusiasts come to defend Porsche. I'm tired of it.

Let it rest Nick! We all know where you stand already. I mean...look at your buddy Ben. First, he was all worried about the depreciation of the CGT and it's hard to handle characteristics...even threatening to back out of the car. Now look, he's completely changed his tone. He loves the car, more so than his Stradale and even commented I think on 6-Speed that he doesn't really worry about the depreciation. He's gonna drive the CGT and enjoy it!

You always fail to account that Ferrari's depreciate too and many cars on the market can match the performance of say an F430, 575, etc. In all your responses, you fail to counter the realities mentioned above and also put forth by members like Carlos. I LOVE Ferrari Nick, I would die to have one in my garage. As mentioned ages ago...we don't go to the Ferrari side, questioning your marquee every time a thread shows up and I think you need to stop this on the Porsche board.

Cheers,
    -Nick

P.S.: Who knows...maybe in 10-15 yrs time, the CGT will be worth a lot too. Take the 959 for example - pristine ones are going for nearly 300k USD.

Well said. The interesting thing about Nick is that he's ignoring that prior to the 360 and Ferrari's relatively recent F1 success, Ferrari was a joke in the automotive world for a long time. Remember cars like the Mondial, Testarossa, 348, etc.??? Reliability and quality control for cars made prior to Montezemolo's taking the reigns was pathetic. Let's see how long Ferrari can stay at the top of its game. The 360/430 is Ferrari's equivalent of BMW's 3 series meaning that it's their bread & butter model and like BMW, Ferrari was very conservative with replacing the 360 (the 430 is an evolutionary change like the new 3 series and frankly the 997 too.) Nicky, why is Porsche's evolutionary strategy boring while the Ferrari's replacement demonstrates impressive changes (at least to you)? I also wonder why you're so pissed that Porsche has a smart business minded management running the company to make a profit and is to be criticized for doing so? As many of the board members here are also businessmen, and successful ones at that in order to be driving P cars and F cars, can't you see your way through the Red Mist to appreciate that it takes real talent to produce cars that customers want in increasing numbers AND make a profit to remain independent? You've found your calling - being a lawyer you get to argue cases everyday. Unfortunately the arguments you propose on these forums are getting boring and tired. I expect better from you.

I agree with you A430 about the "thread-jacking". We should really show the thread starter a bit more respect and keep our responses generally directed toward his question.

On the other hand, don't get too upset with Nick. These spirited debates are all in good fun and Carlos seems fully capable of defending the Porsche reputation. I was particularly enjoying this session, but you're right, we should turn our attentions back to wan888's question and focus on helping him find a CGT.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Hey Ben,
    we have heard you and nick praise your cgt in the past, but i would like to know now that you have had it for a while if the clutch is something that you don't even think about anymore?

Any new tales of its prowess?

nope, i stopped thinking about the clutch after the first couple days of ownership. i'm often caught up hill with cars on my butt on a road i have to take to get into my neighborhood (can't go in the usual way like we do with all our other cars because of the ride height). as well, i've managed to find bumper to bumper highway traffic a couple times too. the clutch is most def no problem for me anytime, anywhere.

tom

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    The result has been those that buy a new Porsche suffer substantial depreciation in ownership. But most buyers rationalize the decision but telling themselves the car is not an investment but for enjoyment. Right on!

Those who can appreciate and enjoy sportcars for what their intended purpose is realise they are depreciable assets and buy what they want "to drive" and gives them most pleasure and enjoyment doing so within their economic posibilities, and those that don't and are missing out on that tend to regard them as a cold investments and judge their purchases soly by investment standards and other non-driving related issues if you they afford it and its worthwile for their onwners then were is the problme? its not like Porsche's depreciation is bellow market average, here in Spain is among the best in the market and if you consider running costs, insurance, versatility, etc. then the cost of onwership is much lower than Ferrari, Lambo, etc.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Quote:
    I give about half an hour before Carlos engages the counter attack ...

And it's only taking that long because he's with a patient!

Unfortunately I can never connect while at the clinics, no time, but fortunately for nick I have the evening off

Yet, a new one can be had for around $400,000 when MSRP is $448,300. Porsche through greed killed this car. In another year it will be selling in the low $300,000. It is probably what it was initially worth.

Porsche is fat and happy and the owners have nothing more than performance to salve their financial wounds.

how do you characterize those smart guys buying F430s on the flipper's market for $300k when they'll be worth "maybe" $200k (sticker) used in a year? some people just want what they want and don't care what it costs.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Porsche is fat and happy and the owners have nothing more than performance to salve their financial wounds.

Is this supposed to be pithy?

Performance is EXACTLY why I spent the money on mine

Pithy is when a Ruf modified 993TT can run with if not out run the CGT for about 1/3 the price IF performance is only what matters to you.

there are honda civics around for probably less than $50k that can do it too. which color are you going to get instead of that F430 that costs 4X?

You are right guys, I apologise for my part in diverting from the subject Nick just always makes me bite and we both enjoy our "debates" with each other too much, we are like a grumpy old mairried couple

Quote:
    A430v said:I mean...look at your buddy Ben. First, he was all worried about the depreciation of the CGT and it's hard to handle characteristics...even threatening to back out of the car.

actually, if you go back and look at those threads, i think you will see i was bummed about the clutch, ride height, and lateral hop during moderately high speed cornering over uneven surfaces. all these complaints were a result of driving an early 04 model. the car in question had it's clutch replaced (under warranty) well less than 500 miles after i drove it. hence, the clutch problems with that particular car were likely due to the defective clutch. the clutch on mine has given me no trouble whatsoever. as to the ride height, it does suck and i would very much like the +1/2" raise kit porsche promised (but failed to thus far deliver) - probably just to sell cars. i can only pull it into the garage in reverse and even then experience a 1/4" of clearance between the front of the car and the driveway. i can pull it in on the other side of the garage, but now my wife's cayenne turbo has to sit outside as a result. this wouldn't be that big a deal except we've had the third wetest year in CA history (ie: getting in and out of the thing with groceries and infant in the rain has had it's moments). however, even that is tolerable - especially when the rest of the car's positive attributes are factored in. lastly, the lateral hop has not been experienced in my car during similar (or MUCH higher) cornering speeds over crappy surfaces. i'm not certain, but i wonder if porsche changed the default rear sway bar setting from full stiff on early 04s to one of the lighter settings later. depreciation was really not a concern at any time (if all the rest of the issues has also been absent). however, with the other issues (again on a test drive of an early 04 which was not replicated on my 05), depreciation was just another of the complaints - even if it was a distant last on the list of previous concerns.

Quote:
    A430v said:
    many cars on the market can match the performance of say an F430

Uhhh...many??

Gary

Quote:
    A430v said:

Cheers,
    -Nick

Nick the thread was not hijacked. Follow the thread. One post asked why the car was not in demand and the reason for the depreciation in price. I gave him my opinion. I am also sure if I were pro Porsche, you would not have responded as you did.

Did your father ever take delivery on his CGT? If so, I would like to hear what he thinks.

Tom, Ben's problem is not with the clutch. It is with the throttle.

Ben you know me. I am a complete car guy. Performance is an important component but not decisive. I value styling, quality, Wow appeal, fun factor, exclusivity and retained value.

Gary:

Hehehe, OK...not too many. But Nick was comparing 350Zs and Vettes to Porsches. In this case, there are a couple of cars similar to the F430 in performance: Z06, Viper, GT3, Turbo, GT2, etc.

Ben:

Yeah...my bad. However, in one of our heated discussions, you did state that depreciation was a concern. I'm just glad you're enjoying the car now. That's all that matters.

Nick:

My father has the same thinking as me. We were always passionate about the CGT, we wouldn't cancel no matter what, unless if our family went bankrupt (knock on wood). We were hesitant after hearing various comments, including Larry's whom we met at Leipzig, but after driving the car for ourselves last month, we have no doubts whatsoever. 100% positive we're buying the car. The car isn't set to arrive until November/December of this year. Depreciation isn't that big of a concern, since we plan to keep the CGT for years to come, so much so that we added about $25k in options, so our CGT will be unique to us.

Wan888:

If you still need the information, let me know. The car is supposed to arrive pretty soon, but I can get you a better ETA.

Cheers,
    -Nick

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    ... i'm not certain, but i wonder if porsche changed the default rear sway bar setting from full stiff on early 04s to one of the lighter settings later.

After I figured out where to look, I peeked under the CF shroud covering the trailing edge of the opening for the engine compartment. Well, ... it took some interesting contortions

My CGT, delivered in late February, is set to full stiff on the rear sway bar. That is, the bolt is in the hole farthest away from the tip of the bar end (shortest lever arm length).

Ben, if you stick your head far enough down into the rear of the engine bay, and look under the CF skirt, you'll see how yours is set up

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    ... i'm not certain, but i wonder if porsche changed the default rear sway bar setting from full stiff on early 04s to one of the lighter settings later.

After I figured out where to look, I peeked under the CF shroud covering the trailing edge of the opening for the engine compartment. Well, ... it took some interesting contortions

My CGT, delivered in late February, is set to full stiff on the rear sway bar. That is, the bolt is in the hole farthest away from the tip of the bar end (shortest lever arm length).

Ben, if you stick your head far enough down into the rear of the engine bay, and look under the CF skirt, you'll see how yours is set up

Thanks Mike. Mine is set in the middle hole! I wonder if Porsche read what I wrote on this and several other message boards and set mine up like this form me at the factory? I have to say Porsche does listen to it's customers on a lot of stuff and it sure wouldn't surprise me - though it would impress me.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Thanks Mike. Mine is set in the middle hole! I wonder if Porsche read what I wrote on this and several other message boards and set mine up like this for me at the factory?

How interesting!

I had always anticipated that I might want to soften the rear sway-bar setting one notch. Irrespective of the "he-man" bragging rights of driving the Carrera GT sideways at the slightest provocation, I have a healthy respect for (maybe fear of) mid-engine cars set up to oversteer.

My old Stoddard project 914/6 with the 2.8 motor originally had an "autocross" handling set-up that was very entertaining in slow corners. It was the only Porsche that I have ever driven that could be convinced to oversteer in a slow corner merely by pushing down hard on the gas pedal! This was very helpful if one got into an autocross corner too hot and still needed to rotate the car.

The trouble with this "set-up" showed itself when I took the car to Mid-Ohio and nearly spun the car at over 100 MPH on a slightly damp track while traversing a low-g bend in the back straight called "the kink". I'd been in a few off-track excursions from time to time that hadn't scared me half as much as did getting way out of shape in that bend.

Fixing this problem was as simple as changing to a stiffer front bar that put more "push" into the handling balance. The rear bar was non-adjustable. After that change, the 914/6 was several seconds faster per lap (at least in my hands) and behaved beautifully thereafter on any track to which I took it.

I didn't want to re-live the 914/6 experience with the Carrera GT if it could be helped. One tries to learn from past mistakes!

When you initially reported your Carrera GT to be sublimely set up as delivered, I backed off the idea of pre-emptively moving my rear bar adjustment toward softer before I ever "exercised" my CGT in depth. After reading your expert testimony, I considered that maybe I was just too easily spooked by the Technik manual's description of the factory-delivered "sporty" set-up. Now, I'm not so sure anymore.

Thanks for checking out your set-up. Now I have a reference by which to calibrate your judgements and impressions of your Carrera GT and its rear bar setting. I think I'm likely to be in for some more chin scratching now.

In a perfect world, I could convince you to change the rear bar setting to full hard and give another report. But, I concede, if someone were to ask me to do the same, I might not want to do it. Why depart from ecstasy?

Cheers,

Hey Mike.

I can assure you the car still oversteers anytime you want it to with the middle setting. But, it's not nearly as nervous during moderately high speed cornering as was Larry's. Believe me, I LOVE oversteer. If I had my way, oversteer driving 100% of the time would be the LAW So, I'm not uncomfortable at all with the characteristic, but I like to be more in control of it and it didn't seem that was as possible with Larry's full stiff car. I can drive mine much faster because it seems more planted at even higher speeds than was Larry's and also seems more progressive when the limit is being reached (and breached). As well, there is plenty of torque to correct understeer with your right foot in a slow corner with the middle setting.

BTW, I'll see about switching it to full stiff (not way easy to get to though), but probably won't want to do so prior to any of our moutain drives because I will definetely be slower and probably scarier. The way it can be tested post settings though is to take similar corners at the speeds usually taken and see if the traction control light comes on (as it did quite frequently on full stiff with Larry's car). And while Larry very generously encouraged me to drive the car as I planned to drive my own, no one with any respect for others would really do it. IOW, mine is driven much faster than I drove Larry's. So, if it was going to do it in Larry's at the lower speeds, it most certainly would have done it in mine at higher ones if the sway settings were the same. Hence, the sway bar setting just has to be the explaination for such a divergence in behavior.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    ... it's not nearly as nervous during moderately high speed cornering as was Larry's. ... I can drive mine much faster because it seems more planted at even higher speeds than was Larry's and also seems more progressive when the limit is being reached (and breached).

Like I said, a little less oversteer tendency is a good thing!

It's my impression that the adjustment range on the rear bar is not too gross. I always assumed that the range of over/under-steer controlled by the rear bar setting was somewhat narrow, and wouldn't fundamentally change the character of the car. Your description seems to verify my intuitive assumptions.

Now, where's that Torx driver set for the CF panel fasteners and my Snap-On box wrenches for the link bolts?

On second thought, maybe a trip over to the dealer would work, too.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    ... it's not nearly as nervous during moderately high speed cornering as was Larry's. ... I can drive mine much faster because it seems more planted at even higher speeds than was Larry's and also seems more progressive when the limit is being reached (and breached).

Like I said, a little less oversteer tendency is a good thing!

It's my impression that the adjustment range on the rear bar is not too gross. I always assumed that the range of over/under-steer controlled by the rear bar setting was somewhat narrow, and wouldn't fundamentally change the character of the car. Your description seems to verify my intuitive assumptions.

Now, where's that Torx driver set for the CF panel fasteners and my Snap-On box wrenches for the link bolts?

On second thought, maybe a trip over to the dealer would work, too.

Every driver is different for sure, but I think you will be pleased with the middle hole setting if the two cars I've driven are indicative of the results. Like you mentioned, too much oversteer tendancy on a mid engined car can be unenjoyable

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    ... I think you will be pleased with the middle hole setting if the two cars I've driven are indicative of the results.

Thanks for the first-person, singular accounts from the cockpit. I value your observations and the intensity of your participation in our common interest.

Cheers,

nick:

"Autoweek typically has five or more (CGTs) listed for sale each week."

there are actually 9 this week!

"BTW, a modified Ruf 993TT indeed stays with a CGT. Take my word on it."

i'm very familiar with the two cars and drivers that led you to this conclusion. the "test" was far from scientific. the two cars were doing about 60 mph in a single file on a two lane street when it began and the CGT didn't even know it was a "test" (to appx 160 mph) but rather they were just out driving together and playing. as well, there were some altitude forces which favored the forced air car over the NA one. incidentally, you should hear that RUF! it sounds like it has some crazy cams in it! the two cars weren't in the same zip code in the corners after even just a couple of them. in fact, not many cars (modified or otherwise) will even be able to see the rear of the CGT after just a couple of mountain road (or track) corners.

fwiw, i read an article last night on the mc laren f1 GTR. the article said "it was only when we added the GTR's tail and front splitter (which lost 30 mph in top speed) that the car was stable at high speed." iow, you can add all the power you want to a 911, but it's highly unlikely you will be remotely competitive in anything but straight line performance. (did you know the CGT's rear wing alone produces over 250 lb of downforce at 186 mph - the wing produces 30% more downforce than the car even produces when it's down?). the CGT could be substantially if porsche were to have made it just a modified 911 instead of a pretty much the best track performing street legal car (at any price) it is. iow, there are likely a lot of modified cars that will run in a straight line, but there are very few if any that offer the entire performance package necessary to keep from eating the CGT's dust.

Thanks everyone for the reply ...

It's been awhile since my first post ... anyone got any idea of the market value now ?

My bro and I would like to get one right away .. preferably yellow.

Anything to look out and anyone know of any dealer that'll arrange export ?

Much appreciate you help.

thanks

Charles

Quote:
    wan888 said:
    Thanks everyone for the reply ...

It's been awhile since my first post ... anyone got any idea of the market value now ?

My bro and I would like to get one right away .. preferably yellow.

Anything to look out and anyone know of any dealer that'll arrange export ?

Much appreciate you help.

thanks

Charles

see your PM for details

I have a Yellow GT in stock. If you're interested, call me at 610-886-1000 @ Brandywine Porsche.

Kind regards,

Erik Niehof

erik,

please email me at wan888@gmail.com

thanks

As I know you can get one from the dealer in HK for 390k Euro.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780873 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442552 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263338 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261666 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85801 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5912 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881419 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818845 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM