Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Where to buy CGT ?

I've done a bit of research and it seems pricing of the CGT seems a bit funny.

US market are cheapest by far comparing to Europe or elsewhere.

I've heard that the CGT will not pass next year's US emission test, that's why Porsche is pushing all the cars into US first.

Does anyone got some price guideline ?

I know US is selling around from US$400k

Re: Where to buy CGT ?

Quote:
    wan888 said:

I've heard that the CGT will not pass next year's US emission test, that's why Porsche is pushing all the cars into US first.

it's not emissions but air bag related. yep, appx $400k is the market in the US.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    wan888 said:

it's not emissions but air bag related. yep, appx $400k is the market in the US.

Ben,

What do you think we can do if we have a CGT currently on order? Supposedly the $50k deposit is non-refundable, and is considered as a pre-payment instead. I don't really want to pay MSRP ($440k) for it, especially if the current US market value is at around $400k. Do you think there anyway I can negotiate with the dealer?

Thanks,
    Baron

Quote:
    baron said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    wan888 said:

Ben,

What do you think we can do if we have a CGT currently on order? Supposedly the $50k deposit is non-refundable, and is considered as a pre-payment instead. I don't really want to pay MSRP ($440k) for it, especially if the current US market value is at around $400k. Do you think there anyway I can negotiate with the dealer?

Thanks,
    Baron

it completely depends on your dealer. mine was willing to litigate to keep the $50k if i walked. if your dealer is the kind that would give the deposit back (ie: like 99% of them instead of the pissant midwest dealer i worked with), they are more likely to discount to keep the deal.

btw, MSRP is not $440. it's 448.3, and you'll also have the incrimental sales tax due on that 48.3 above 400.

Hey Ben,
    we have heard you and nick praise your cgt in the past, but i would like to know now that you have had it for a while if the clutch is something that you don't even think about anymore?

Any new tales of its prowess?

tom

Does anyone know of any dealer that have a yellow CGT in stock and will do export ?

Rusnak in Pasadena has a GT Silver with Cocoa interior right now.

Yellow right? The same dealership, Rusnak Pasadena...has a Fayence Yellow one coming in soon, UNSOLD. Customer canceled. If you need more information, PM me and reply to this post letting me know you have done so, because I normally don't login. Don't mind helping a fellow "Hong Konger" out, lived there for 8 yrs myself.

Cheers,
    -Nick

It's hard to believe there are so many unsold CGTs. I do hope that the demand of these cars pick up. This could result in disasterous loss for any new owners.

Does anyone know if the SLR Mclaren is seeing similar demand problems? I would see the SLR as less desirable than the CGT is everyway.

Baron

Quote:
    baron said:
    Does anyone know if the SLR Mclaren is seeing similar demand problems? I would see the SLR as less desirable than the CGT is everyway.

With Mercedes dissolving their partnership with McLaren (road cars only) you'd think the demand for the SLR might improve.

Quote:
    baron said:
    It's hard to believe there are so many unsold CGTs. I do hope that the demand of these cars pick up. This could result in disasterous loss for any new owners.

Baron

I had heard that only 70 or so CGT's were actually sold in the US though many more were ordered. Autoweek typically has five or more listed for sale each week.

What is tragic about this car is that the CGT is one of the best all time performance cars ever made. However it is saddled with two distinct drawbacks. First, the car is for only the serious driver who will appreciate its over all performance and ignore many of its driving disadvantages.

Second, and more importantly, it suffers from the company who designed and built it. Porsche makes excellent cars but has no concern about owner value. They made a decision a few years back that customer be damned and only focus on company profit (figuratively they hand you the keys and tell you to bend over and grab your ankles ).

The result has been those that buy a new Porsche suffer substantial depreciation in ownership. But most buyers rationalize the decision but telling themselves the car is not an investment but for enjoyment. Right on!

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    baron said:

Baron

Second, and more importantly, it suffers from the company who designed and built it. Porsche makes excellent cars but has no concern about owner value. They made a decision a few years back that customer be damned and only focus on company profit (figuratively they hand you the keys and tell you to bend over and grab your ankles ).

The result has been those that buy a new Porsche suffer substantial depreciation in ownership. But most buyers rationalize the decision but telling themselves the car is not an investment but for enjoyment. Right on!

Here we go again!
    I give about half an hour before Carlos engages the counter attack, I can tell this one's gonna be entertaining!

Quote:
    I give about half an hour before Carlos engages the counter attack ...

And it's only taking that long because he's with a patient!

Quote:
    nberry said:

Those who can appreciate and enjoy sportcars for what their intended purpose is realise they are depreciable assets and buy what they want "to drive" and gives them most pleasure and enjoyment doing so within their economic posibilities, and those that don't and are missing out on that tend to regard them as a cold investments and judge their purchases soly by investment standards and other non-driving related issues if you they afford it and its worthwile for their onwners then were is the problme? its not like Porsche's depreciation is bellow market average, here in Spain is among the best in the market and if you consider running costs, insurance, versatility, etc. then the cost of onwership is much lower than Ferrari, Lambo, etc.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Quote:

Unfortunately I can never connect while at the clinics, no time, but fortunately for nick I have the evening off

That's a great photo

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Those who can appreciate and enjoy sportcars for what their intended purpose is realise they are depreciable assets and buy what they want "to drive" and gives them most pleasure and enjoyment doing so within their economic posibilities, and those that don't and are missing out on that tend to regard them as a cold investments and judge their purchases soly by investment standards and other non-driving related issues if you they afford it and its worthwile for their onwners then were is the problme? its not like Porsche's depreciation is bellow market average, here in Spain is among the best in the market and if you consider running costs, insurance, versatility, etc. then the cost of onwership is much lower than Ferrari, Lambo, etc.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Quote:

Unfortunately I can never connect while at the clinics, no time, but fortunately for nick I have the evening off

Nick, you're the ugly one! Hahaha!!!
    You also look kinda cool somehow! Can't even figure out if that's a cat or a dog Carlos!!!

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Quote:

Carlos your computer skills are so above mine that I have difficulty responding in kind. It is best not to try.

However I do have one question. Why cannot a buyer purchase a sport car for both enjoyment and retained value? Though most cars do take some depreciation, Porsche in recent years particularly in the US has been a disaster. What makes this fact tragic is it does not have to be this way.

Porsche is chosing to devalue their cars by making them look alike, over produce them and charge more than they are worth.

For an example, why in the hell should the CGT be such a pirah in the supercar market? It out performs most if not all super sport cars. Yet, a new one can be had for around $400,000 when MSRP is $448,300. Porsche through greed killed this car. In another year it will be selling in the low $300,000. It is probably what it was initially worth.

Porsche is fat and happy and the owners have nothing more than performance to salve their financial wounds.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Porsche is fat and happy and the owners have nothing more than performance to salve their financial wounds.

Is this supposed to be pithy?

Performance is EXACTLY why I spent the money on mine

Nick, I have to agree with the CGT, but CGT purchase is not a cold logical one if you have te money to buy one, then loosing some money on it to be able to enjoy such a car is the buyers right if he can afford it. Think of it this way, less poseurs will be buying the car

AS to US, not only is the US not the world market, but also when you say "disater" when refering to resale value in US, have you checked its rivals? BMW-M3, Gallardo, Vette/Viper, etc?
    You are comparing it to Ferrari's artificial "US" market, were the new models are solds to a few pre-arranged customers who garage-queen them only to be traded in shortly after for the next one so that the dealer can resell the car and make profit several times on the same car at the expense of the second hand Ferrari buyers that have to bend over for the overinflated price. Over here, Ferarri resale is "good" but maintenace, repairs, insurance, etc make it a more expensive car to own than a Porsche in the end. Even more so if you intend to really drive the Ferrari. And there is nothing wrong with that, if you want to enjoy a Ferrari, you have to pay for it.

For many people, Porsche sportcars have no subtitute, no competition (and given their success, its quite a bit of people) so the logical depreciation is worth paying for for them. And in many parts of the world, its not even bad at all so its a great purchase when you weight in all that you get:
    - practicallity (can be used as a daily driver so you don't need to spend on one car for the weekend another for the weekdays, and also enjoy a sportcar on weekdays),
    - performance (top notch that matches performance of pricier sportcars),
    - safety (excellent passive and active safety for a sportcar unlike other competitors),
    - reliability (always top marks in the reliability polls),
    - build quality & refinement,
    - technology-engineering (what porsche is famous for along perfromance),
    - resale (above average in many market and at least average in others), etc.
    - versatility (a model for perfect for each person's needs, AWD/RWD, coupe/targa/cab, N-A/turbo, street/track, etc.)
    and so on.
    Thats why they are so succesful.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Is this supposed to be pithy?

Performance is EXACTLY why I spent the money on mine

Pithy is when a Ruf modified 993TT can run with if not out run the CGT for about 1/3 the price IF performance is only what matters to you.

Mike I am on YOUR side. Porsche needs to understand they cannot continue exploit their devoted customer base. They should have scrupulously protected the value of this car EVEN if it meant they will loss a few dollars. Fat chance!

BTW your CGT will run circles around my shortly to be delivered 430. Yet I am being offered $60,000 over MSRP. Ask yourself why that should be.

Manhattan motorcars in NYC has a fayence yellow in stock. Call 212-594-6200, ask for Evan

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Nick, I have to agree with the CGT, but CGT purchase is not a cold logical one if you have te money to buy one, then loosing some money on it to be able to enjoy such a car is the buyers right if he can afford it. Think of it this way, less poseurs will be buying the car

AS to US, not only is the US not the world market, but also when you say "disater" when refering to resale value in US, have you checked its rivals? BMW-M3, Gallardo, Vette/Viper, etc?
    You are comparing it to Ferrari's artificial "US" market, were the new models are solds to a few pre-arranged customers who garage-queen them only to be traded in shortly after for the next one so that the dealer can resell the car and make profit several times on the same car at the expense of the second hand Ferrari buyers that have to bend over for the overinflated price. Over here, Ferarri resale is "good" but maintenace, repairs, insurance, etc make it a more expensive car to own than a Porsche in the end. Even more so if you intend to really drive the Ferrari. And there is nothing wrong with that, if you want to enjoy a Ferrari, you have to pay for it.

For many people, Porsche sportcars have no subtitute, no competition (and given their success, its quite a bit of people) so the logical depreciation is worth paying for for them. And in many parts of the world, its not even bad at all so its a great purchase when you weight in all that you get:
    - practicallity (can be used as a daily driver so you don't need to spend on one car for the weekend another for the weekdays, and also enjoy a sportcar on weekdays),
    - safety (excellent passive and active safety for a sportcar unlike other competitors),
    - versatility (a model for perfect for each person's needs, AWD/RWD, coupe/targa/cab, N-A/turbo, street/track, etc.)
    and so on.

Much of your list can equally apply to several sport cars. The Vette and the 350Z to name a couple which are substantially cheaper in PRICE. I am sensing at least here in the US the Porsche mystique is beginning to wane. Also, I believe Porsche is well aware of this and broadening their product base to stem the bleeding to coming.

Carlos, we will never agree but this much I know, at the end of our car ownership my wallet will be thicker than yours.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

and so on.

Much of your list can equally apply to several sport cars. The Vette and the 350Z to name a couple which are substantially cheaper in PRICE. I am sensing at least here in the US the Porsche mystique is beginning to wane. Also, I believe Porsche is well aware of this and broadening their product base to stem the bleeding to coming.

Carlos, we will never agree but this much I know, at the end of our car ownership my wallet will be thicker than yours.

Equally apply in that list?? come on, I regard you more knowledgeable than that, the vette and 350Z...are you serious? quality, practicality, resale, performance (which includes handling), engineering...

As to your wallet being thinker in the end, all I can say is good for you but that won't detract from the big smile on my face I will have in the end of my ownership either, which is what matters to me, not how thick your wallet is so we are both happy in the end, right?

Quote:
    nberry said:Pithy is when a Ruf modified 993TT can run with if not out run the CGT for about 1/3 the price IF performance is only what matters to you.

No way a RUF 993TT can keep up with a CGT on a racetrack (not oval).

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:Pithy is when a Ruf modified 993TT can run with if not out run the CGT for about 1/3 the price IF performance is only what matters to you.

Hey, ovals are tracks too

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:

Hey, ovals are tracks too

LOL

Nick is using his lawyer training again. What he keeps out of his argument is what carlos touched on with the garage queen comment. The vast majority 355/360/550/575's are resold with VERY few miles.

And the prospective buyers want the horrendously expensive "major" service performed before they purchase even though the miles aren't close. Ex. the 30,000 major performed on cars with 15,000 miles, though a lot of time has passed.

The reason nick is being offered his premium is because ferrari has been waiting for the currency exchange to reverse before shipping the the us 430 allotment. At least that is the thoughts that nick has discussed. Hey both company's make great products, one shouldn't buy a p-car as an investment and one shouldn't buy an f-car and expect to preserve his investment AND drive.

tom

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

and so on.

Well-summarized, Carlos. Esp for discretionary toys like $100K+ sports cars, emotional factors like driving pleasure will always trump minor issues like resale value, trunk space, spare tire/not, etc....and, if resale value is so important, the real question may be whether the questioner can really afford the toy.

Let's not forget that the 575 (and likely the 612 as well) has/have horrific P-like resale value...but many big boys like these cars and don't care what the resale value is...

Also, if one wants to be particularly analytical in comparing F vs P, prob need to "price in" the relative risks of head/spinal injuries (and post-crash life in a wheelchair) in a car equipped w/well-designed crumple zones and side/headbags vs one w/possibly more primitive safety systems, lacking even vestigial side airbags in its latest porky models.....

Quote:
    nberry said:

BTW your CGT will run circles around my shortly to be delivered 430. Yet I am being offered $60,000 over MSRP. Ask yourself why that should be.

May be they are stupid

Just to add my 1 cent comment.

Nick said at some point that Porsche sold only around 70 CGT. This is not true.

CGT sales in North America are not bad at all !!!!

In 2004 (calendar), Porsche delivered to final customers 188 units and 11 were sold in Canada or a total of 199. So far this year (Jan and Feb), Porsche delivered 38 units in the US and 1 in Canada or a total of 39.

If we now move to FY (Aug to July) to align with Porsche's reporting period, we see that in FY 03/04, 80 units were sold in North America (US+Can) and so far this year (7 month into FY 04/05), 158 units were delivered.

Let's look at output.
    FY 03/04 270 units (28 in H1 and 242 in H2)
    H1 04/05 323 units

So, so far this year (fiscal), more or less 50% of Porsche's output is going to North America which is in line with Porsche overall sales. If it was not the case in 2003/04 it's because, deliveries in the US started way after those made in Europe and in other countries. 1 CGT was delivered in January 2004, 3 in Feb 04 and 4 in March 04 .... and now the monthly rate is around 20-25 units per month.

Bottom line, I'm pretty sure, Porsche will be able to sell 1,500 units over 3 years (FY).

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781359 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442695 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263406 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261762 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85883 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5943 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881512 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819209 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM