Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Stradale Impressions

Amazing car!!!
    Perfect? No.
    Here we go:
    10 hot laps round Dijon Prenois.
    F1 Gearbox, amazing, efficient, brilliant!
    Best available device on the track, possibly, the great thing about it is that it makes the car extremely easy to drive, as you can then keep both hands on the wheel and concentrate on your trajectory.
    On the road, depends how you shift, can send a whole vibration through the chassis in Race mode because the upshifts are so violent, downshift are better managed IMHO. Not ideal for open road IMO. Perfectly optimised for the track.
    The noise is out of this world, and honestly just too loud for a road car, we were in race mode all along, and apparently it is not as loud in normal mode, but in the last lap, slow to cool the brakes, we still had to shout at eachoher to speak, and that between 3000 and 5000 rpm!!!
    Radio is close to useless, a bit of a joke, but it's there.
    But for me, the best feature of the car and by far are the Carbon brakes!!!!
    Simply out of this world, stopping power is trumendous, much more impressive than the engine power IMO.
    And same braking power after 10 laps of course.
    Downsides:
    The F1 gearbox in race mode can be so violent that it sends a shudder through the chassis, not ideal on long bends.
    More worrying: it was weird, in straight line, 240 kmh, slam on the brakes, and it felt like the rear axle was losing itself a bit,
    could the brake be so powerful that they offset the chassis integrity?
    Also, another thing, good side but also downside, the wonderful neutral nature of the chassis, not tuned for understeer, maybe even a bit more oversteering in its nature, and as a result, extremely stable but also not as progressive as the 911 which is much more talkative about its behaviour, when you oversteer in the Stradale, and start spinning, by the time you try to put in opposite lock, it's usually too late, so not a car for the beginner.
    It's a bit of a paradox, because the F1 makes it very easy to drive but then the tricky is on-limit handling.
    Also on the downside, but that's subjective, the maintenance cost of the brakes, a set of fours disks is 20,000 Euros and the plaquettes (sorry, don't know the english term) are 2,500 euros, those need to be changed about every three track outings!!!
    It's very interesting to talk to all the Stradale owners, they say that although it's based on the 360, it is so much superior! It's like a different car!
    And some of them bought F430 and gave them back, still saying that the product is inferior to the Stradale, I believe them.
    Overall, it's an AMAZING car!
    Would I buy one, for the track yes, definitely, but let me try a GT3 RS first.
    For the road, no, I don't think so. All it would do is take me to the track and back.

Re: Stradale Impressions

Great report How about the steering feel?

J.Seven

Great impressions, thanks Fanch!

what a nice read

thanks fanch

Thanks guys,
    Correction on the behaviour of the car under very strong braking.
    Just talked to my friend who's a pro racing driver.
    This behaviour is 100% normal. In fact, same goes for Porsche and all new high perf cars.
    It is do to with new ABS generation which can now act on individual wheel.
    So what happens is that under strong braking, the ABS engaged on the rear wheels only, giving this sensation that the whole rear axle becomes very light!
    The trick is to do... nothing! and carry on.
    Just don't turn when it happens!

Steering feel is good, better than 360.

One of the favorite things about my Stradale is the sound it makes when shifting from first to second around red-line. Impossible to explain in words and Nothing else like it in the world.

My impressions of the Stradale were very much the same. It is clearly superior to the 360 especially for track work. The car is just more viseral, raw and more fun to drive.However in day to day driving I prefer the 360.

Franciose, the more you use the F1 the less you will like the manual. Though many claim it is for the lazy drivers, those that understand it's use,recognize that it requires skill and concentration marrying the shifting with the steering.

Your friends comments regarding the 430 concern me. Mine is to be delivered with 45-60 days.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    The noise is out of this world, and honestly just too loud for a road car, we were in race mode all along, and apparently it is not as loud in normal mode, but in the last lap, slow to cool the brakes, we still had to shout at eachoher to speak, and that between 3000 and 5000 rpm!!!

More worrying: it was weird, in straight line, 240 kmh, slam on the brakes, and it felt like the rear axle was losing itself a bit,
    could the brake be so powerful that they offset the chassis integrity?
    Also, another thing, good side but also downside, the wonderful neutral nature of the chassis, not tuned for understeer, maybe even a bit more oversteering in its nature, and as a result, extremely stable but also not as progressive as the 911 which is much more talkative about its behaviour, when you oversteer in the Stradale, and start spinning, by the time you try to put in opposite lock, it's usually too late, so not a car for the beginner.

just a couple of comments. the european version is supposed to be considerably louder than ours in the U.S.

also, the handling attributes you mentioned are more because it's a mid engined car than anything else. much of what you are describing is inherent to most mid engines. that said, follow a 911 at appx 120 to 130 mph and watch the rear end when he hammers the brakes. the back end waddles as well.

incidentally, i agree that the brakes (and the sound) are the best thing about the car. the brake feel is much better on the stradale than it is my CGT.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Your friends comments regarding the 430 concern me. Mine is to be delivered with 45-60 days.

Don't worry Nick, the F430 is a great car, but not as visceral I guess as the Strdadale on track.
    I think those guys are waiting for a Stradale version of the Challenge car of the F430.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Don't worry Nick, the F430 is a great car, but not as visceral I guess as the Strdadale on track.
    I think those guys are waiting for a Stradale version of the Challenge car of the F430.

Can't imagine that your friends gave the 430 back, .... hard to believe !!
    I now have a 430, but I also drove the 360CS (a lot of times, because one of my best friends has one), and I can't believe I would turn in the 430 for a CS, NO WAY !!!

I think you should drive the 430 .... the car will suprise you !!

Quote:
    Patriek (jennyz) said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Can't imagine that your friends gave the 430 back, .... hard to believe !!
    I now have a 430, but I also drove the 360CS (a lot of times, because one of my best friends has one), and I can't believe I would turn in the 430 for a CS, NO WAY !!!

I think you should drive the 430 .... the car will suprise you !!

Patriek,
    I can't speak for myself unfortunately yet;)
    But these guys are the big guns of Ferrari France, two of them have Enzos, one even a P4 from Le Mans!!!
    They go each year to Mas du Clos beautiful track, as much track days as possible and their argument was that the 430 is just not suited for the track as well as the Stradale. Ben, would you agree?
    They consider the 430 to be a huge leap from the poor 360 but a different car from the Stradale.
    Too heavy they said, all in all, the Stradale and the 430 are two very different cars.
    All I experienced from the 430 was it's noise and in that respect it is far more useable than the CS, certainly not as loud, more of a GT, deep V8 rumble, the Stradale is just too loud for long trips IMHO.
    More to come soon when I will hopefully testdrive one.
    Again, these are not my opinions, just reporting from serious Ferraristis!

Don't be concerned, YOU WILL LOVE IT !!!!

the poor 360

I don't consider the 360 a "poor" car. Do you ??????

Quote:
    Patriek (jennyz) said:
    the poor 360

I don't consider the 360 a "poor" car. Do you ??????

Of course I don't Patriek, but I think it never leaved up to its promised standard, brakes were underpowered, engine lack low end torque and somehow slower than a 996 on track too. The 360 were not pulling away from me on the straight wereas the CS and the 430 were big time!
    Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice car, but the Stradale and F430 both blast it into oblivion!!!

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Exactly.
    When the 430 CS comes out then it might be worth trading in my 360 CS. Not until then.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    The 360 were not pulling away from me on the straight wereas the CS and the 430 were big time!
    Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice car, but the Stradale and F430 both blast it into oblivion!!!

On the track it's all about the driver (but you know that, right?). Exit speed determines speed down the straight. When I do track days in my 360, I can run more often than not with GT3s and have no trouble with 996s. To call the 360 "poor" or "didn't reach potential" is just ignorant, IMO. I find the low end torque to be quite adequate, and at least equal to the non-turbo Porsches I've driven. To this point it is the finest street/track machine I have ever driven, although I have very little seat time in a CS. On the track it certainly far outshines the 996 and is in the same class speed-wise as a GT3 (all things equal re:tires and other mods), and is much more entertaining and fun to drive, again IMO. I would expect the 430 to be in another league entirely.

Gary

Aside from the 575 successor, the next Ferrari I can't wait to drive is the 430 Challenge. I'm guessing it will be a fantastic track day car, though initially difficult to get for those not participating in the series.

If a 430CS is built, I'd love to have both it and my 360CS. What I really wanted, though, was a 575 GTC Stradale, which I assume will not happen.

will,

while the 575 GTC stradale is beguiling, it still weighs. as does the 430.

regarding the stradale on the street, i love it, drive to the office, soccer practise every day.
    i do live on winding bumpy mountain roads, where the strad is unmatched. eminently better than gt3 and gt2.

nothing handles bumps better, nor carries speed so effortlessly

Quote:
    watt said:

regarding the stradale on the street, i love it, drive to the office, soccer practise every day.
    i do live on winding bumpy mountain roads, where the strad is unmatched. eminently better than gt3 and gt2.

nothing handles bumps better, nor carries speed so effortlessly

Now THAT's what I call passion and dedication! Congrats!
    I agree about the way the car drives, what surprised me most wat how easy they've made it to exploit! I'm still amazed, great car!

Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    The 360 were not pulling away from me on the straight wereas the CS and the 430 were big time!

On the track it's all about the driver (but you know that, right?). Exit speed determines speed down the straight. When I do track days in my 360, I can run more often than not with GT3s and have no trouble with 996s. To call the 360 "poor" or "didn't reach potential" is just ignorant, IMO. I find the low end torque to be quite adequate, and at least equal to the non-turbo Porsches I've driven. To this point it is the finest street/track machine I have ever driven, although I have very little seat time in a CS. On the track it certainly far outshines the 996 and is in the same class speed-wise as a GT3 (all things equal re:tires and other mods), and is much more entertaining and fun to drive, again IMO. I would expect the 430 to be in another league entirely.

Gary

TDF,
    Please don't feel offended, of course I know it's all about the driver on the track. But I've also driven the 360 on open roads extensively and although is was a while ago, the steering is vague, the F1 gearbox far from perfect and most of all, the brakes are way underdimensioned (spelling?).
    So please do not call me ignorant, I would be if I was quoting from mag, but I have actually been privileged to drive the two models to their limits. Our opinions may differ, and that's cool! That's what this forum is all about!
    The Stradale answers all these criticism and so much more.
    It's like GT3RS compared to 996 but the gap is 10 times bigger, it really is a different car.
    I respect 100% Ferrari's approach to the "no compromise" aspect of the car.
    It feels like a race car inside, very nice!
    As for straight line speed with the Modena, what can I say, it's its driver who came to tell us that. I'm not lying, I love Ferrari.

Fanch, you really NEED to drive the F430 as sooooooon as possible, and tell me your HONEST opinion !!!

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    TDF,
    Please don't feel offended, of course I know it's all about the driver on the track. But I've also driven the 360 on open roads extensively and although is was a while ago, the steering is vague, the F1 gearbox far from perfect and most of all, the brakes are way underdimensioned (spelling?).
    So please do not call me ignorant, I would be if I was quoting from mag, but I have actually been privileged to drive the two models to their limits. Our opinions may differ, and that's cool! That's what this forum is all about!
    The Stradale answers all these criticism and so much more.
    It's like GT3RS compared to 996 but the gap is 10 times bigger, it really is a different car.
    I respect 100% Ferrari's approach to the "no compromise" aspect of the car.
    It feels like a race car inside, very nice!
    As for straight line speed with the Modena, what can I say, it's its driver who came to tell us that. I'm not lying, I love Ferrari.

Sorry about the "ignorant" comment. We clearly disagree about the 360, especially the steering (I think it is superb, especially with RA-1s installed) and I have had no brake issues at the track since I installed Ate fluid and DS2500 pads.

Gary

it's that Kerry sticker, Gary. getting your knickers in a twist

Quote:
    watt said:
    it's that Kerry sticker, Gary. getting your knickers in a twist

Wow. Now THAT is an interesting comment. Tell me you aren't really that hung up on politics.

Gary

You have some great ponts. I ahve had my Stradale for over a year and have piled up 7000 miles on the car. 3000 of that was running at high speed across the country in the Bullrun. Some added info for Stradale owners. I ran the car at Sebring for about 20 laps in high heat. Before the rally I had FX performance here in LA set the car up with 2 degrees neg front and 21/2 rear. I'm not concerened about tire ware, I'm concered about controlling the back end when it comes around. On the track we were 5 full seconds faster than any other car. That included a 996 twin turbo properly built to a little over 600 hp and driven by a pro driver from the UK. The car behaved amazing on the track. When the rear came around it was easly put back with opposite lock and throttle. If any of you in the Uk saw the Bullrun TV series that was us sideways around the hairpin at Seabring in the airial shot. Another thing, I removed the cats, this lowers the temp in the engine bay by almost 300 degrees. After to talking to challenge mechanics, they told me heat was the biggest enemy of the 360. The car is extreamly loud but I ran at speeds of up to 170 in the heat and had no problem. When I spoke to Ferrari North America, they asked if I was getting a 430, and I told them no. Only when they come out with a CS version will I buy one. There is nothing like it. And yes I drive mine on the street all the time. You can't beat light weight. The car is one of the best driving cars I have ever driven

Quote:
    drbeck said:
    You have some great ponts. I ahve had my Stradale for over a year and have piled up 7000 miles on the car. 3000 of that was running at high speed across the country in the Bullrun. Some added info for Stradale owners. I ran the car at Sebring for about 20 laps in high heat. Before the rally I had FX performance here in LA set the car up with 2 degrees neg front and 21/2 rear. I'm not concerened about tire ware, I'm concered about controlling the back end when it comes around. On the track we were 5 full seconds faster than any other car. That included a 996 twin turbo properly built to a little over 600 hp and driven by a pro driver from the UK. The car behaved amazing on the track. When the rear came around it was easly put back with opposite lock and throttle. If any of you in the Uk saw the Bullrun TV series that was us sideways around the hairpin at Seabring in the airial shot. Another thing, I removed the cats, this lowers the temp in the engine bay by almost 300 degrees. After to talking to challenge mechanics, they told me heat was the biggest enemy of the 360. The car is extreamly loud but I ran at speeds of up to 170 in the heat and had no problem. When I spoke to Ferrari North America, they asked if I was getting a 430, and I told them no. Only when they come out with a CS version will I buy one. There is nothing like it. And yes I drive mine on the street all the time. You can't beat light weight. The car is one of the best driving cars I have ever driven

try the 430, you will be amazed ! and YES, I have driven the CS also.

Dr Beck - That's a LOT of camber. I'm at 1.3 neg front 2.3 neg rear. May I ask what you did with the toe?

I just canceled out of the spring Ferrari event at Sebring because I sold my Challenge car - now I'm wishing I'd taken the CS.

Quote:
    WCH said:
    Dr Beck - That's a LOT of camber. I'm at 1.3 neg front 2.3 neg rear. May I ask what you did with the toe?

I just canceled out of the spring Ferrari event at Sebring because I sold my Challenge car - now I'm wishing I'd taken the CS.

What would the stock settings be on the Stradale?

Quote:
    WCH said:
    Aside from the 575 successor, the next Ferrari I can't wait to drive is the 430 Challenge. I'm guessing it will be a fantastic track day car, though initially difficult to get for those not participating in the series.

If a 430CS is built, I'd love to have both it and my 360CS. What I really wanted, though, was a 575 GTC Stradale, which I assume will not happen.

I wonder if my dealer would take a deposit for a 430 CS ???

I reviewed my stat sheet from FX and remembered the biggest thing we did was actually change the caster from stock which is 6 degrees to 5 and 1/2. This makes the car much less twitchy. For toe we ran .4mm per side for a total of .8 and I'm sorry I was wrong on the camber, it was 1 and 1/2 front and 2 in the rear. The guys at FX have set up quite a few challenge cars so they know what they are doing. We didi not lose any high speed stability either. We spent a great deal of time above 150mph and the car was rock solid.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    810288 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    451000 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    268366 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91370 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8180 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

889583 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    844152 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM