Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Opinions of Guards Red

My original order consisted of an S Cab in Guards Red with a black top as I was trying to get away from the sea of Silver and Grey cars in the market today. Last weekend I made the mistake of taking my wife to the dealer to drive the Arctic Silver/black top launch car they received and as you can imagine, we both liked the combo. My question is to those who have a Guards Red Porsche: Does this color hold up over the years as far as shine (given proper care, maint. etc) and brilliance etc? I had the chance to see an '02 boxter in Guards Red/black top and had to say that I'm thinking about changing to the Arctic. Although the Guards Red examples were a little dirty, the paint just appeared flat. I know it's not metallic, but any opinions are encouraged. Help.

Re: Opinions of Guards Red

Quote:
    woody77 said:
    My original order consisted of an S Cab in Guards Red with a black top as I was trying to get away from the sea of Silver and Grey cars in the market today. Last weekend I made the mistake of taking my wife to the dealer to drive the Arctic Silver/black top launch car they received and as you can imagine, we both liked the combo. My question is to those who have a Guards Red Porsche: Does this color hold up over the years as far as shine (given proper care, maint. etc) and brilliance etc? I had the chance to see an '02 boxter in Guards Red/black top and had to say that I'm thinking about changing to the Arctic. Although the Guards Red examples were a little dirty, the paint just appeared flat. I know it's not metallic, but any opinions are encouraged. Help.

I have a '99 guards red cab and I really like the color. It is easy to live with, dust and dirt don't show up as easily as on darker colors. You need to see a clean guards red car to apprecitate the shine. My car still has the same color depth as the day it was new. It is a very deep and shiny color. If you are comparing it to silver, I would say than you won't see near the shine/depth in a silver car that you will in a red car. Having said that, my new 997S will be Artic Silver. I just couldn't see ordering a new car that would look so much like the car it replaced. I had to try something new. I have had Porsches in black (loved it when clean, but was too hard for me to live with), polar silver (loved it, great color, the blue added to the mix gives the silver more depth) and currently I have guards red. I feel I will miss the red car, but I wanted something different. My color choices were somewhat limited since I refuse to buy dark colors since I know they will drive me crazy. My car is a garage queen and it typically only gets dusty, not dirty. Dark cars don't hide dust very well.

Phil

If you are a red guy I'd say go for it. Paints today will retain their luster without fade. The GT silver is nice but it's pricey. Mine's black and I enjoy it.

Originally, I did not know what colour to order.

My last visit to the dealer made my mind up. he had a Guards 997 in. And i was surprised how bad the pictures can make red look.

The colour had lots of depth and life to it. I came away thinking that I will definitely order red (I don't get to specify my car until October!!).

My girlfriend liked it too. So that was good enough for me.

It was the nicest looking car in the showroom. And it stood out more than most of the more common colours (in my eyes).

I just wonder how good it will look with the aerokit. (Which I will also be specifying). I imagine it will be very nice.

...Add

The color will fade if parked in the sun all alot. UV will kill ANY color. I'm no expert but I know some colors will be effected faster than others given the same UV exposure. Maybe Porsche's red _IS_ the color which fades fastest?

Also, the brilliance, hue and intensity of all colors depends on the ambient light. Take silver for example: in midday sun it is washed out and flat. At sunset it is THE most fantastic of all colors.

Appropriate title - some info for you

While reading my 928 stuff today there is a discussion on india red/ guards red in regards to a beautiful gts for sale. As these are older cars now thats where the answer is as to fading however perhaps the chemicals are different now. If you keep it garaged at work/home and keep it maitained well i think you are OK.
    One poster says;

I think visible differences could possibly be explained by different paint lots, different MY's, and/or different fading over time. Red is the color most likely to fade - particularly since I don't think Porsche used clear coat with their reds.

thread;
    http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=190731

tom

You will not be dissapointed with Red. My last few Porsches were Silver, and Grey, and I needed a change. The Red does hold up well, however I found it shows scratches more, so be careful. But the luster of the paint is very nice, and it does stand out in a crowd if thats what you are looking for. Personally, I have not seen a bad looking 996, or 997 color.

I think it is not very wise to ask others what color car you should buy. This is so personal. Would you buy a pink car if eveyone in this forum swear pink is the best color on 997?

Good point.

I love silver. But there is Nooo way my 997 will be in silver.

If i drive down the road now, about a quarter of all cars near me are silver. Around here it is most common colour you can buy . (I even own a silver car myself).

So ... I am avoiding silver as it is just too common. I looked at the Porsche UK used car section. Nearly all the used cars are silver. This probably accounts for why nearly all the 911's I have seen are silver.

So I am being different. And going red!! (Though all my friends are saying 'No! get it in black!'). Apparently red doesnt look classy. I'm not too sure on that one!

...Add

I like red but the Guards Red is a bit bland IMO. The BMW imola red and Audi red and really deep colours that stand out and look classy all at the same time.

If you want to pay for "colour to sample" the world is your oyster.

Oh, forgot to mention that I have only seen pics of Guards Red, not in the flesh.

Thanks for all the opinions. I have decided after looking at older Porsche's with the Guards Red, to change to the Arctic Silver/Black Top. I think in the long run it will be best, as I love the silver/black combo and it won't show paint scratches/swirls as much and it hopefully won't attract as many radar guns.

Sorry guys, like red as well but unfortunately it belongs to an other manufacture

porsche guards red is a great colour, but not on this particular car

i ve seen it live. Like it but would not bought it as i think i would of bored it soon.

Although some days ago i saw a 996 carrera 4S on the road in guards red and looked really nice and impressive

I saw a red 997 and i wasn't impressed although it was one of my three choices (+silver, black)during pre order period.

After my purchase i saw atlas grey and GT silver and i liked them a lot.

But why are you keep on reading all these posts? Opinions are like a**holes- everybody has one.

Yep, silver is the color that everybody owns these day's. I have two silver cars as well. It a nice color but your car blends in with the honda's and Toyota's on the road. shine a silver color all day and you cant tell if it was waxed. Shine a red car and you can tell from mile away.
    BTW, I originally oreded silver 997S cab silver but luckily I chnaged it on time to guards red. So, call me biase )

just a small opinion on red cars since I own one (F355). you can get bored in time with red then again you go way for a short business trip come back to your home and find your red car sitting in the garage and it looks like the most beautiful color for the car...and it probably is. red is a very beautiful color then again it's a strong color. if you get used to the color it looses its marit but when you see it among other more calm colors or see it in a short awhile, then you appretiate it again. it's quite similar to having a very attractive girlfriend but since you porsche is not just beautiful but also smart and charming, you might even find it beautiful always. just my small opinion.

Quote:
    zoltan said:
    But why are you keep on reading all these posts? Opinions are like a**holes- everybody has one.

Never heard that before!

Quote:
    alchemist said:
    just a small opinion on red cars since I own one (F355). you can get bored in time with red then again you go way for a short business trip come back to your home and find your red car sitting in the garage and it looks like the most beautiful color for the car...and it probably is. red is a very beautiful color then again it's a strong color. if you get used to the color it looses its marit but when you see it among other more calm colors or see it in a short awhile, then you appretiate it again. it's quite similar to having a very attractive girlfriend but since you porsche is not just beautiful but also smart and charming, you might even find it beautiful always. just my small opinion.

Perhaps only your small opinion, but strikingly worded!

It's Classic

Red is not for everyone. Here is what mine will look like.

To me Porsche has to be either red or yellow.

alchemist the red color is nice in your 355!

Because its a Ferrari color No word about it

Quote:
    TurboSport said:
    To me Porsche has to be either red or yellow.

Er, change "Porsche" to "Ferrari" and I agree.

agreed not for porsche

The sun is not kind to red paint after a few years (not an issue for non-daily drivers).

Porsche has to be black or silver

Quote:
    systra said:
    Porsche has to be black or silver

No offense to all of you but I think you're all wrong.
    Porsches and Ferraris are pleasure buys, they should the colour you want them to be and that's it!

you are the man

Bright flashy colors are great...as long as you can live with it. I love to see a bright green 911!!! but could not drive it everyday

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781904 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442837 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263486 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261900 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85979 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6008 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881661 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819643 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM