Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Powerkit Cayenne Turbo - details available now

We finally were able to put our hands on the technical specs of the Cayenne Turbo 500 HP powerkit.
    The modifications are pretty interesting, they include some suspension mods too.

Here's the list of the changed parts (of course the most important ones, not mentioning all those little screws, ducts, etc.):
    • intercooler (left& right)
    • engine software
    • brake calipers (front & rear)
    • brake discs (front & rear)
    • brake pads (front& rear)
    • brake ducts (front)
    • wheel bearing (rear)
    • air suspension control unit
    • shock struts (front)
    • air ducts from and to intercoolers
    • tie rods (front)

Older Cayenne Turbo (before MY 2005?) also need new air suspension height level sensors and of course the new 20'' rims with modified spokes (available on cars around end of MY 2004 production). An alternative to the new 20'' rims may be the 17 mm wheel spaces in the rear and 5 mm wheel spacers front. Unfortunately I don't think that 5 mm spacers are available from Porsche for the Cayenne (yet).

19'' wheels are MANDATORY because of the larger brake system, the Porsche 19'' wheels work without problems, only the older 20'' Sport Techno rims aren't working.

Install cost is around 1700-2000 Euro in Germany.
    I don't have a price tag yet for the retrofit kit but I suppose it costs as much as the kit on a new car.
    Judging by the involved modification parts, I think that the powerkit not only delivers more power but also better braking and handling performance.

Re: Powerkit Cayenne Turbo - details available now

Quote:
    RC said:
    We finally were able to put our hands on the technical specs of the Cayenne Turbo 500 HP powerkit.
    The modifications are pretty interesting, they include some suspension mods too.

Here's the list of the changed parts (of course the most important ones, not mentioning all those little screws, ducts, etc.):

• intercooler (left& right)
    • engine software
    • brake calipers (front & rear)
    • brake discs (front & rear)
    • brake pads (front& rear)
    • brake ducts (front)
    • wheal bearing (rear)
    • air suspension control unit
    • shock struts (front)
    • air ducts from and to intercoolers
    • tie rods (front)

Older Cayenne Turbo (before MY 2005?) also need new air suspension height level sensors and of course the new 20'' rims with modified spokes (available on cars around end of MY 2004 production). An alternative to the new 20'' rims may be the 17 mm wheel spaces in the rear and 5 mm wheel spacers front. Unfortunately I don't think that 5 mm spacers are available from Porsche for the Cayenne (yet).

19'' wheels are MANDATORY because of the larger brake system, the Porsche 19'' wheels work without problems, only the older 20'' Sport Techno rims aren't working.

Install cost is around 1700-2000 Euro in Germany.
    I don't have a price tag yet for the retrofit kit but I suppose it costs as much as the kit on a new car.
    Judging by the involved modification parts, I think that the powerkit not only delivers more power but also better braking and handling performance.

RC,

Do you have any idea of the retrofit cost of the 997S approximetly?
    and when is it gonna be availabale.
    thank you.

Sertag, this is about the Cayenne Turbo, not the 997!
    -Joost-

Thanks, RC, for staying on top of this for all of us.

Does "engine software" mean a different ECU, or just some programming tweaks?

Please let us know when you have a chance to drive one or when you hear of any other credible reviews. As you know, I am on the verge of ordering one, but want to know a) whether it cures the throttle hesitation problem and b) how adversely the suspension mods affect ride quality and off-road capability.

Thanks again!

Quote:
    sigs said:
    Thanks, RC, for staying on top of this for all of us.

Does "engine software" mean a different ECU, or just some programming tweaks?

Thanks again!

yep ECU, in most cases, i think it will be a direct replacement. I dont think anyone will want to go through the trouble of recalibrating the old software, unless its just a plug and play type of deal

Any numbers, by how much will it improve 0-100km/h ?

In Italy the kit cost 12.400 euro + vat (20%), plus 75 hours for fittment at 60 euro par hour.
    The Kit was already correct details by RC.
    I've order (2 week for obtain) yesterday.
    I've a '05 models so no change 20'' sport tecno wheels (code of 20 wheel that doesn't work 955.362.140.50.9A1 and 955.362.140.60.9A1 inside the wheel)
    The ME control module (ECU) is'nt sobstitute but only modify (they insert a new code to obtain the increase power).
    This is what retroffitting produce:
    - increase power from 331 KW to 368 kw
    - increse torque from 620 Nm to 700 Nm
    - increase acceleration (0-100 km/h) from 5,6 to 5.3 sec.
    - increase top speed (always limited) from 266 to 270 km/h
    - increase elasticity (80-120 km/h in 5th gear) from 6.1 to 5.4 sec

This details are official (I've the comunications from porsche in my hands)

75 hours at 60 Euro per hour? I'm not sure this is right but of course I can't speak for Italy. Over here in Germany I got a quote for maximum 2000 Euro for a complete install.
    The toughest job is actually the brake system install.

Regarding the engine software: just a simple software upgrade, not a new motronic unit. Only the control unit for the air suspension has to be exchanged completely.
    If somebody wants to put his hands on the software upgrade: the dealer can't do it, it requires a powerkit acquisition and the reprogramming code is only valid for a specific car and VIN number. If a tuner would put his hands on this software, I would definetely recommend it. The bigger intercoolers are in my opinion needed only for hot desert runs with a trailer. The engine and the drivetrain don't need any modifications. But of course there is the bigger brake and the suspension mods.

Sorry I write something wrong, isn't 75 hours (more than 4 days fully with 2 persons work, real incredible) but only 20/25 hours, they estimate a 1250/1500 euros for fittment.
    A friend of mine tested the kit and what he prefers was the new brake system.

Sarnico,

Can your friend provide us with any more driving impressions of the PK? Does it solve the throttle hesitation problem? Is handling significantly better with the modified suspension? Etc.?

Thanks!

Quote:
    sigs said:
    Sarnico,

Can your friend provide us with any more driving impressions of the PK? Does it solve the throttle hesitation problem? Is handling significantly better with the modified suspension? Etc.?

Thanks!

I doubt that the throttle hesitation goes away with the powerkit. Porsche promised a testdrive as soon as they have a car. Customers already got their PK equipped cars and...still no testdrive. I suppose there is no improvement in throttle hesitation.

That is so disappointing. I had high hopes

If you can't get any further with them, I hate to think of how much trouble I might have with getting something like this handled.

Just out of curiosity, and pardon me if you've addressed this before, I have two questions: 1. Has their response to you been "there IS no throttle hesitation" or "yes, we know it's there and we intended it that way"? 2. Since some posters on this and other forums with later production vehicles do not complain of this problem, - is it hit-or-miss with each vehicle, or do their driving styles simply not reveal the problem?

Thanks again for all your info!

Quote:
    sigs said:

2. Since some posters on this and other forums with later production vehicles do not complain of this problem,
    - is it hit-or-miss with each vehicle, or do their driving styles simply not reveal the problem?

Quote:
    sigs said:
    Just out of curiosity, and pardon me if you've addressed this before, I have two questions: 1. Has their response to you been "there IS no throttle hesitation" or "yes, we know it's there and we intended it that way"? 2. Since some posters on this and other forums with later production vehicles do not complain of this problem, - is it hit-or-miss with each vehicle, or do their driving styles simply not reveal the problem?

Now here's actually the strange part of the whole thing: in personal talks, they confirmed the hesitation to me, argueing that it is part of the original setup, that US customers demanded it (there has been a software update in the US on early Cayenne S because of too aggressive throttle response!) and that I should expect a more sporty setup maybe in the next Cayenne generation. And in the same talks, they told me that they aren't aware of a hesitation. Funny, isn't it?! I got the feeling that they actually know very well what I'm talking about but they can't do anything about it and I'm just loosing their time.
    They didn't want to testdrive our ML55, they didn't reply directly to my questions and all what they told me was actually: my Cayenne Turbo works within specs. Period.

Why others do not complaint, especially on newer Cayenne Turbo? I don't know. Maybe there has been a change we're not aware of, maybe there was an issue we're not aware of and Porsche tries to keep it low to avoid expensive retrofit cost? I really don't know. The only thing I know is that in the end, the whole "discussion" between me and them regarding the hesitation isuee becamse a bit "hostile" and not pleasant at all for me as a customer.

I also suspect the driving style as the cause that some owners don't experience the throttle/shifting hesitation.
    A lot of Cayenne Turbo owners think of their SUV as some sort of high power truck without any sporty ambition.
    I have the chance to compare the Cayenne Turbo directly to our ML55 AMG which is still in the family (and unfortunately has to go soon... ). Regarding throttle response and shifting, it is a difference like day and night between the ML55 and the CT.

And what is even more weird: the throttle hesitation comes and goes on my CT. Sometimes I'm surprised to see how well the throttle responds and how well the gears are selected and even kept low without too early upshift. But especially during city driving, the hesitation is not only annoying, it can be dangerous too.

Maybe Porsche really isn't aware of this problem and they think that people like me who complaint about this are just nuts. Or maybe there is more behind it than it seems. I really don't know. They only thing I know is that I'm very disappointed with Porsche's handling of the whole thing, I expected them to do something about it or at least to admit that there is a flaw but they can't fix it. They could have done it in a friendly way but I got out of the whole discussion with a very bad taste on my tongue.

And to finish this long post: the Cayennne Turbo is a great SUV but I expected a little bit more from Porsche. For this kind of money, it has to be completely different than other SUVs on the market. Right now the CT rules regarding the suspension setup and the powerful engine but regarding throttle/shifting response, it is below avarage. And the steering is still better on the BMW X5 but that's another story. I will probably take my personal consequence out of this whole issue and not buy a Cayenne Turbo as a family car in the future. Not because I think the CT is a bad product but if I pay THAT much money for a family car, I expect something next to perfect. Otherwise I can stick with Mercedes or BMW, their upcoming new M-class and X models should be satisfying enough for me.
    And Porsche should definetely understand that treating a longtime customer and Porsche enthusiast the way they treated me is a little bit odd for a car manufacturer of premium products. They said that they wanted to show good faith but maybe I wasn't dumb enough to take this bait. I wanted results and not a cookie. And when I made it clear, I got slapped in the face. Sad.

RC,

Thanks, once again, for the thorough reply. This is a great example of how a manufacturer should NOT handle customer service. I would certainly like them to provide some details about this "US customers demanded it" BS. That either has to be a blatant falsehood or they talked to a very select group of frontal lobotomy patients. Are these same US customers demanding that the new 997 TT have the same "characteristics." What a load!! Perhaps they find that a convenient excuse to give Europeans because our American "market" has been "responsible" for several of the other bonehead things Porsche has done in the past.

This puts potential buyers like me in quite a quandary. Unfortunately, my experience with my ML has apparently not matched yours with your ML55, so replacement with same is not an option. I'm ready to chuck the whole idea and go spend less money on a Lexus. If the "performance" is going to be a constant source of frustration, I might as well trade the performance for reliability and customer service up front.

BTW, is it safe to assume that the intermittent sluggishness you experience is NOT due to the stupid "driver adaptive" software? My ML's "adaptiveness" has always been especially frustrating, as any significant length of conservative driving causes it to "adapt" to a mode of very sluggish down-shifting, esp. when floored. I, also, have been assured this is "normal," though the ML55s I've driven didn't seem to do this (didn't buy an ML55 because of the very limited off-road aspects). The better throttle/transmission response of the ML55 is one reason why I had hopes for the PK solving this.

In any case, either explanation (US customers wanted it vs. it can't be fixed) stretch credibility to the breaking point. It sure seems most likely that they COULD fix it, but just don't want to spend the money.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780804 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442541 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263327 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261654 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85788 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5908 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881400 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818792 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM