Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Tinted Windows

What do you think about tinted windows?

Options

1) slightly tinded in front passengers and full tinted in rear side windows and rear window

2) slightly tinted all around and rear window also

Do you think tinted windows will interfere with the intergrated radio antennas?

My car is arctic silver.

Re: Tinted Windows

Never understand why anyone would want to do this. I also think it's tough on cyclists and motorcyclists who use eye contact with a driver as a key safety device - if they cannot see your eyes, they don't know whether you have seen them or not. Also, why would you want to look like a gangster?

He is talking about slightly tinted windows, not black windows. If you look closely many manufactures already tint significantly their windows on some models. Some more than others and you don't even notice it. Black-mirror like windows is another thing, and illegal anyway for the front windows, and if only used for the rear windows it still bad.

As silverish slight tint (darker than standard) with an artic silver 997 should look great and also add some anonimety to the Porsche driver which is good also in place were Porsches atract attention and you don't care for any.

Of course this is a matter of taste.

i go with carlos
    and also
    you will notice, that in ALL car advertisements, the cars have tinted windows. Because, it simply makes them look great.

I'm not talking about black windows. I appreciate that some tint looks good and I believe that is standard fit to our cars, I just think any more than that can be a safety issue.

Like you say Carlos, of course this is a matter of taste - it just doesn't float my boat.

Living here in Florida tinted windows are a must. Factory tint is not strong enough to keep the intense sun and heat out of the car. IMO tint should be the same all the way around. It doesn't need to be dark to do its job. Good quality tint comes in many different shades. I agree with Carlos...and a titanium tint will give a silvery look without actually being mirrored.

I tinted my blk light all around...the radio is affected........Looks awesome...Light is a must on a blk/blk car! Check it out..

Quote:
    Ed J said:
    I'm not talking about black windows. I appreciate that some tint looks good and I believe that is standard fit to our cars, I just think any more than that can be a safety issue.

Like you say Carlos, of course this is a matter of taste - it just doesn't float my boat.

Maybe its because of the London weather ... just joking

I see your point about safety, wethrr driving the car or bike, I constantly try to get a look at the reflection of the face of other drivers in their own mirrors to predict their maneuvers, but I find using a SUVs or truck with clear windows more dangerous than a sportcar with tinted windows, becuase the SUV/truck really decrease visibility for those vehicles behind to specially low sporcars and bikes. So in the scheme of things its not that bad IMO, and in sunny places like Greece, Ft. Lauderdale or Spain, it really helps also.

I'm just talking about a bit heavier tint than standard though, if the tint does not permit visibility into the cabin it is ilegal, at least here, and cops will stop you for it.

rss996,
    Do you have anymore pictures? the that tint looks pretty dark but maybe its the lighting cause its indoors, but I understand the laws in the US are much more leniant towards the tint in cars than in europe. Aesthetically it looks good since specially ebing a black car.

Also, how does it interphere with the antenna if its only plastic and not metal?

I live in Florida, and I dislike tint. As far as temperatures inside the car, tint is kinda like feeding a tic tac to a whale.... "Wow, now that I've got black limo tint on the car, it only gets to 200 degrees instead of 220 degrees!!" LOL!! It's a futile attempt to counter an unbeatable foe. Either way, dark tint or not, it gets as hot as the hinges of hell inside any car during a Florida summer, so I don't waste my time with the tint. The reasons I don't like it are relatively silly, but nonetheless, important to me.

First, it cheapens the look of any car IMO. Tinting the windows is the first thing any teenager or Camaro owner does to their car when they buy it. When I see dark tint on a premium vehicle, I find that I react to it the same way I do aftermarket spoilers and bumper stickers.

Secondly, dark tinted windows scream "used car" to me. Don't ask me why. I know that every car is a used car once you use it, I just like the look of the factory window treatment.

Lastly, I like a bright interior. Sitting in a dark tinted vehicle is like sitting in a dungeon sometimes.

You asked for opinions, so... those are mine!! No offense intended to the tint lovers out there. I tinted everything I owned up 'till my late 20's. Now at 37 I'm just a grumpy old fogey I suppose.

Quote:
    Also, how does it interphere with the antenna if its only plastic and not metal?

Many window films contain metals, especially the ones with reflective qualities.

The 997 already comes with some kind of very special coating, putting cheap aftermarket tint on top of that would not be a good idea.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Many window films contain metals, especially the ones with reflective qualities.

Very correct.

And, since radar is merely a special case of radio waves ... from my web site:

"SOME STICK-ON WINDOW TINT FILMS ARE "TERRIBLE" TOO. Some tint films also have metallized layers. Car and Driver supplied samples from Wal-Mart (Axius brand) and AutoZone (Gila brand). The Axius films have no effect on radar reception in our tests.

However, the Gila package claims its films have metallized layers, and our tests of Gila films produced the significant radar loses we associate with metallized films.

WARNING: V1's Radar Locator depends on the rear antenna having an unobstructed view back through the interior of your car. Metallized films on side and rear windows will confuse the Radar Locator. "

Very interesting, I did not know that, I though the tint were all plastic (I never tinted a car). So if you are going to do it, best make sure it doesn't have any metal, no?

Except in hot and sunny climates tinted windows seem to have that "gangsta" look associated with them.

E.g. hollywood movie star, or the drug trade, or rap music.

Well, I just tinted my new C4S, and I think it looks fantastic, esp. on a silver car. I went with a medium tint on all the windows. Don't do different shades on different windows, it looks sloppy and incomplete. All the same tint looks clean. My radio isn't at all affected. I would go for a light to medium tint all around, I've had nothing but compliments.

My tint looks very light outside in the light...It looks dark because of the reflection indoors at night......

I think light tint makes the vehicle look more exclusive....super dark tint looks chep like you said.

You can see right in easily and with the light tint the cops wont bug you here in Calif......

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Very interesting, I did not know that, I though the tint were all plastic (I never tinted a car). So if you are going to do it, best make sure it doesn't have any metal, no?

I don't know too much about this but I think the film needs the metal if it's going to do a good job of repelling the heat and UV rays. I installed some film on an office building that rejected 80% of the UV and it contained some metal. It was made by 3M I think. It wasn't overly dark, just a mild tint.

Quote:
    I don't know too much about this but I think the film needs the metal if it's going to do a good job of repelling the heat and UV rays

To a degree, you are correct. Without some reflectiveness (which means metal), the dark plastic tint is just a heat and U.V. "sponge". Yes, it helps keep the rays from directly reaching inside the interior, BUT, it also builds heat on the glass surface that will radiate into the interior. If keeping the heat out is the primary purpose, you want a quality tint material with reflective property. And, as was said, then you run into issues if you run a radar detecting device.

Quote:
    JP66 said:
    Well, I just tinted my new C4S, and I think it looks fantastic, esp. on a silver car. I went with a medium tint on all the windows. Don't do different shades on different windows, it looks sloppy and incomplete. All the same tint looks clean. My radio isn't at all affected. I would go for a light to medium tint all around, I've had nothing but compliments.

Joint question to JP66 and RSS (and others with tint installed): What % tint did you use to consider it 'light tint'? I like the sound of that & plan same for my 997. Ohio law requires at least 50% driver and passenger door windows.

I am adamant about tasteful degree of tint, and for safety reasons I want other drivers to be able to see through the car. Around here police have to be able to see into car also. Wondering what 60% or 65% light transmission would look like. What is difference btwn Black and Charcoal tint?
    Why so many questions? sorry...any OUTDOOR pics of your 997 and C4S would be awesome and greatly appreciated.

D.

Damian...Check out the way the GT3RS looks on the main page of RennTeam. My car looks similar to that. You can see in and through the car, and look out just fine. I think I went with 25% or 35%, can't remember exactly, but it was the next level below 50%. It's hard to judge the tint by a picture, so I would suggest checking out a tint shop and compare vehicles already tinted. If your concerned in any way, just go 50%. I almost did, but saw that slightly darker was best.
    Just my input, everyone has their preferences.....

Cheers, JP; I gotta stick with 50% or higher to stay legal here in OH. Definitely plan to see various % in person.

Quote:
    Ed J said:
    Also, why would you want to look like a gangster?

I totally agree. IMO, it makes a sophisticated car look somewhat vulgar. Still each to his own...

Tough choice, but I think I'm going to stay with the original glass.

looking nice Holminator

What's wrong with everyone tonight? If 911 windows were supposed to be tinted, Porsche would have tinted them.

You know I am poking fun. I'm with 69BossNine, I want my light.

I have a black/black on order and have decided not to tint.  I live in South Florida.  My Boxster S that I had for 4 years didn't have tinting either and it was OK.  Sure, there were few days where direct sunlight was beaming into the car but the AC always did the trick.  My Boxster was garage kept at night but out in the hot sun during workdays at the office.  My leather never cracked on either the dash or seats.  I vote the classy look of not having anything.

Call me old school but I'm not a fan of tint. Around here (Northern Calif.) tint isn't really needed.

I also don't like heavy tinting on my windscreens as it really affects my vision out of the car at night, especially through side mirrors. In most countries, heavy tinting is illegal anyway. 

However, some of us require strong UV & IR protection in the areas we live in, so have to install tint films in our cars.  Obviously, any car will heat up, whether with film, or without.  But the fact that they keep the rays out during driving and singeing your hands (and also make the a/c cool faster and more efficiently) make them essential where the weather is hot and sunny. 

I have installed a v-kool film, which though expensive comes with a 5 year warranty, and actually works really well, with a very slight tint (so you can see through them from all windows/windscreens).  The best bit is that you can even install it on your front windshield (clear film) so that it keeps out UV/IR rays, and allows all the light to pass through.

--
    "I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road without being questioned about their intent"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780645 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442506 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263308 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261621 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85761 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5899 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881364 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818693 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM