Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cayenne S performce/body kit upgrades?

Anyone aware if a turbo body kit is available for the Cayenne S and of any performance upgrades (chip, exhaust, ect), costs?

I have an order for a Cayenne S, which i hope to receive in March. It will come with 20" wheels, air suspension, off road package, etc. I was planning to paint the black spoilers the body colour and replace the front spoiler with the turbo spoiler.

The front of the turbo looks so much better and aggressive than the S!

Would appreicate your comments.

Thanks

PorscheDXB

Re: Cayenne S performce/body kit upgrades?

Hi PorscheDXB,

You should better check with your dealer when your S is suppose to be delivered.

If you're in the US, I have serious doubts you'll get it in March. 3 options you're mentionning (Air Susp, Off road package, 20" wheels) aren't available right now on US models... If you're lucky, you may find in your dealer's allotment the S you're looking for. I don't know what the situation is in Europe.

I haven't heard/read about kits available for the S but I'll keep you posted.

No, there is no turbo body kit available. But it should be easily possible to adapt the Turbo parts to the S. However not a cheap solution...you need the front hood too to make it look real.

ECU upgrades are not recommended on normally aspirated cars. Power gain is not much (around 5% if you're lucky) and you usually compromise reliability a lot. If you want more power, go for the Turbo. Trust me, if you're power-thirsty, the "S" will disappoint you.
    Even outrunning a Boxster (not S) might be a difficult task.
    So why not go for the Turbo? You will regret it sooner or later if you don't...if power is most important thing for you on the Cayenne.

Regarding aggressive looks and power upgrades on the Cayenne generally: why would you do that? The Cayenne is no sportscar. As a 996 Turbo owner, it might even bring an arrogant smile on my face if I'd see such a thing. Don't do it, you're not driving a Honda but a Porsche.

I couldn't agree more. Trying to make an S look like a Turbo is the wrong orientation I think. It is still not clear to me how Porsche will pursue the marketing of the Cayenne image but I don't see the image headed in the direction of aero-look body kits. How about steel skid plates for all the vital organs? There's an upgrade I can believe in.

Speaking of upgrades, the German PAG website now has an extensive Cayenne Tequipment section. It has the 2nd set of 20" wheels displayed, among other things.

I would love to go for the turbo however its a little bit out of my budget at this time!

Here in Dubai the S is selling for about $64,000 and the turbo for $93,000. Note that all Cayenne S's to Dubai come with the air suspension, navigation system, bose 12 speaker and off road package as standard. The dealer is also told me that most of the cars headed here are with 20" wheels.

I used to be a 996 owner but had to sell it since needed a car with more space for my family and later got an X5 4.4 which i just sold to get the Cayenne S!

PorscheDXB,
    The way you explained, I believe the "S" version is pretty much loaded in Duabi.
    Be happy because in the states all those options would have cost you extra.

Another alternative?

If you're living in Dubai, why not wait for somebody getting bored of his Cayenne Turbo "toy" and selling it at a good price? Might be interesting too.

Don't get me wrong: the Cayenne S is a fine SUV and it will surely outrun and outperform your BMW X5 4.4 but it is no sportscar. Performance should be similar to a BMW X5 4.6is We did a comparison with my ML55 AMG and I was faster (by a small margin though) up to around 180 kph on the straight line. 64000 USD for such a well equipped Cayenne S sounds like a bargain. Go for it. For tough off-roading, the normal suspension might be more suitable though.

Re: Another alternative?

Ok x5 wil not outperform or outrun a Cayenne but as it is not a
    sportscar and will be 95% used onroad .
    Other factors will be decisive to order a Cayenne .
    And here is the weak point 'DESIGN'.
    Everybody is trying to love the car but has
    a problem with design.
    When we saw the first ML and x5 pictures everbody was positive not with the Cayenne.
    Wait till you see also the Touareg on the road ,the Cayennne driver will feel embarrassed by driving a upgraded version instead of a exlusive SUV in design
    and technique!

Design is indeed a problem on the Cayenne.
    I can't get used to it either. Tonight I saw the dealer's Cayenne S at a restaurant near my house. My wife even didn't recognize it.
    There has been a pretty outraged discussion about the Cayenne's design over here in Germany, I wonder if it will be the same in the US. The Touareg looks better, I can't explain why. And as soon as there will be some W12 Touaregs driving around, the Cayenne might get a serious drop in sales. Even the Touareg V10 Diesel will hurt Cayenne sales.

If I was Wiedeking, I wouldn't rely too much on the first year of Cayenne production and I wouldn't rely too much on the Turbo's performance advantage.
    The new ML 55 will have at least 450 HP, BMW won't back off either and there are more manufacturers (even from the US) showing up with new models.
    I know there is a big hype about the Cayenne right now but let's talk again in two years.

These days, Porsche salesmen have a nice argument when customers don't like the Cayenne's design: "did you like the 996 when it came out a few years ago?" They want to convince potential customers that people will get used with the design. But fact is: people bought the 996 mainly because it is a 911, a legend, a tradition and...a true sportscar. The Cayenne is nothing of that, just a new product from Porsche.

I like the Cayenne Turbo very much and I think this is the only Cayenne Porsche should have produced...with at least 500 HP. What I don't like about the Cayenne is the automatic transmission (not that I want manual but the Cayenne's auto tranny is crappy), the fuel consumption (couldn't get below 29 litres / 100 km during my testride), the price tag (around 85000 EUR would have been just right) and finally it's design.

Maybe I just sit there, wait a year or two and buy a used Cayenne Turbo with low mileage for half the price the owner paid. Pure fantasy? Well, I truely hope so...for Porsche's sake.

RC, excellent summary of the situation, I completely agree. This is not a vehicle to jump right into the first year. It also remains to be seen how good the quality control is and whether or not it will have first year problems like the BMW 745i. New model, new factory, new work force could be a problem, although not necessarily.

The only possible plus for Porsche, at least in the US, is that VW dealers are at the bottom, and the V-10 is not sold here. If I could find a half way decent VW dealer I would place an order. If the V-10 was imported to US I would buy, even with poor dealers.

The pre-configured Cayyene S i have on order comes with everything i wanted except full leather. Since the interior is in black, the dealer has told me that it wont be noticable and should not make any difference. My other option is to wait another two months to get a car with full leather! Anyone have any idea of the partial leather option?

Anyone aware of any comparison tests between the cayyene S and X5 4.6is? I read somewhere that the 0-60 performance of the 4.6 is 6.2 seconds, a second faster then the Cayyene S.

A few Cayyene's are already here in Dubai but the owners have paid huge premiums to be the first ($90,000 for the S!). There was also an AD here in the newspaper where you can actually rent a Cayyene turbo!

The first batch from the actual dealers are to arrive in March.

Well, full leather always looks nice but I don't think you make a mistake if you order partial leather only. However...if you're somebody who enjoys beautiful things and especially look at details, go for the full leather option.

There have been two performance tests of the BMW X5 4.6is over here in Germany, both in comparison to the ML 55. The BMW X5 4.6 did 0-100 kph in 6.8 and 6.9 seconds, the ML 55 did it in 6.7 and 6.8 seconds. The performance difference between the ML 55 and the Cayenne S is almost non-existant, the ML 55 takes about almost car length up to 120 kph and it stays at around half of a car length up to 180 kph.
    Over 200 kph, the Cayenne S profits from aerodynamics and the lowered suspension (with airsuspension only!).

So my guess would be that the Cayenne S's real world performance should be pretty similar to the performance of the BMW X5 4.6is. A little hint: if you want to "win" stop light runs, stay with the standard 18'' wheels and don't go for those huge 20''.

Another hint: the Cayenne S with 6-speed manual tranny might gain a few fractions of a second from 0-100 kph and maybe even much more up to 200 kph. So it may be worth waiting for it. However, I highly recommend ordering SUVs with automatic tranny only because your wife will love it, it is less stressful during rush hour, city driving and on trips with the kids. Personally I'd never order a SUV without automatic.

Paying 90000 USD for the S? Ouch.

Another thing: the Advanced Off-Road Package (highly recommendable for serious off-roading!) won't be available for a while. So people thinking about serious off-roading (Dubai SUV desert runs must be fun, they're famous ) might consider to wait for it.
    Also the TV option for the PCM 2 system won't be around for a while, however I'm not sure this option will be available to the US.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806270 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449446 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267020 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90434 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7171 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887130 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835823 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM