Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Boxster Coupe resembles 911 too closely?

Look at this pic below, when I first saw it I mistook it for a 911 and so did one of the posters from the forum where I found the picture (http://carspyshots.proboards2.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=spy&num=1095101821&start=0) On closer inspection I realized it was a boxster but the general public would have trouble making that distinction.

Anyone else agree? I think anyone who pays twice as much for a 911 deserves a distinctive design.

Re: Boxster Coupe resembles 911 too closely?

I see only a massive amount of plastic around the car..

Quote:
    brunner said:
    I see only a massive amount of plastic around the car..

and 4 exhaust pipes in the back

i totally agree with you danny ,and from this pic the "lines" looks very similar

flat 12 ? like 917k

The only parts that are different from the current Boxster are heavily camouflaged, so you cant tell whether it will look like a 911 or not.

I may be wrong but it is possible that its not the new Boxster Coupé.
    However it is definetly not the normal Boxster Coupé, it might be the Boxster Coupé Turbo

I had the chance to see the Boxster Coupe almost without camoflage and it does not look like the 911 or like the car on the picture. The rear is heavily camouflaged.
    But I have to confess that the rear of the Boxster Coupe looked a bit weird to me, I'm not sure if this car will be really a success, even if some owners might view it as a 911 with two seats only. It definetely isn't.

I wonder why Porsche actually builds a Boxster Coupe because I don't see much use for it. Unless they make it much lighter than the Boxster Roadster but I doubt it.

The only reason for building a boxster coupe is because it will be even cheaper than a normal boxster. Just to make some extra money. Very stupid to ruin a roadster like that

Quote:
    Wild-Speed said:
    The only reason for building a boxster coupe is because it will be even cheaper than a normal boxster. Just to make some extra money. Very stupid to ruin a roadster like that

I don't think you've been listening lately. According to Porsche's president the Boxster Coupe will *not* undercut the present Boxster roadster, but could very well be a higher priced / higher performance stepping stone to the 911. I don't think it will hurt the roadster at all.

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    According to Porsche's president the Boxster Coupe will *not* undercut the present Boxster roadster, but could very well be a higher priced / higher performance stepping stone to the 911. I don't think it will hurt the roadster at all.

There still remains the question of the day: WHO will buy the Boxster Coupe, especially if it's gonna be more expensive than the Boxster Roadster?
    Of course there are Boxster addicts who don't need (or want?) the four seats of the 911 and who don't need (or want) the retractable soft top. But I'm afraid that all hopes of a much better performance of the Boxster Coupe vs. the Boxster Roadster are pure illusion. Even if the Boxster Coupe gets a 300 HP engine or even slightly more, it still won't be a direct competitor to the 911. And for almost the same price, some people will ask themselves: "do I get a 911 instead with less options?"

It is no secret that the Boxster doesn't have a very good reputation among Porsche "tradionalists" or "hardcore fans".
    They view it as a women's Porsche, an entry level Porsche.
    Personally, and I consider myself to be a hardcore fan, I like the Boxster a lot, especially the new one. I wouldn't buy one beause I'm still a rear engine design addict and I love the 911 but there is no reason to bash the Boxster. Of course the Boxster is an entry level Porsche and Porsche would probably love to see every Boxster owner to upgrade to the more expensive 911 sooner or later. Sometimes this happens and sometimes not.
    But the Boxster is an excellent sports car and in the right hands, it can be as fast as some of the 911 models out there. And to the surprise of you all: the 987 and 997 Carrera share around 50% of parts, depending on options.
    In today's production strategy, this isn't much. Just take Audi, VW and Skoda or even other car manufacturers. You would be surprised to see how many parts some cars have in common under their body.

I think the Boxster Coupe might sell in the beginning because a lot of people will see it as a 911 with two seats.
    But I'm not sure this marketing strategy will work out, it remains to be seen. I'm curious, honestly.

Maybe the Boxster Coupe will be a good reason (model) to go back in motorsportracing.

Hmmmm...
    a modern 904? That would be awesome..

My guess, based on the one fact we know, which is the quote that no plans to undercut the price of the boxster and that normally tin tops are cheaper than convertibles, is that either an coupe S only version initially priced midway between the the boxster and S or two models that cost the same as the convertibles but with higher spec. Not many will consider a model midway between the boxster (that closely resembles a boxster) and 911 for very long, as RC coherently argues. However, the quote could relate to something entirely different, namely the fourth model, not being cheaper than the boxster, rather than no cheaper boxster variants.

i personally think its a non sense car ,specially with the four door coming sooner or later ,the range will be perfect ,no need for the boxster coupe

It does make sense, as a step up for those that currently drive Audi TTs, 350Zs and other sub Pounds30k coupes. A 20% markup is realistic, if it approaches 50%, then it becomes beyond the means of most that group and will predominently appeal to current porsche owners, thus limiting its market somewhat.

Quote:
    ezzie said:
    It does make sense, as a step up for those that currently drive Audi TTs, 350Zs and other sub Pounds30k coupes. A 20% markup is realistic, if it approaches 50%, then it becomes beyond the means of most that group and will predominently appeal to current porsche owners, thus limiting its market somewhat.

I thought the Boxster Coupe' was as downmarket as Porsche was prepared to go. In my view, the further down they go the lesser the ability of higher end models to compete with Ferrari, Aston etc.

Quote:
    RC said:
    ... an entry level Porsche...

Where I work at, there are alot of people who have owned 914/924/944s in the past. These were all entry models and unless they win the lotto or buy an older 911, they probably will never own a Porsche again because of financial reasons. But everyone of them have said that those entry level cars were the best cars they ever had.

ezzie and vtrader are both very correct.....

There is a very good market for a Boxster coupe....or whatever they plan to call it. For years I have been able to buy a new Boxster, but I'm not a roadster fan....I like a solid coupe and there are many other people out there just like me.

In the past I have owned a 968, '87/'89 928, an Audi TT, and presently drive a mint 928 GT. At this point in my life I can't quite see spending 90K for a '911, but could easily spend $50K on a Boxster Coupe...preferably an S model. Now if Porsche would finally come out with one, I'd be bustin' down the door in a heartbeat.

Actually the more Porsche sells on the lower end, the more they are able to develop and build on the top end. Win-Win situation.

Hi to everybody,

Quote:
    MikeN said:

For years I have been able to buy a new Boxster, but I'm not a roadster fan....
    I can't quite see spending 90K for a '911, but could easily spend $50K on a Boxster Coupe...preferably an S model. Now if Porsche would finally come out with one, I'd be bustin' down the door in a heartbeat.

this is exactly my situation...
    and be sure there are more of us out there...

remember: there is no (rear-)mid-engine-coupe on market cheaper than 120 KEuro, isn't it?

Siggy

Boxster Coupe makes plenty of sense. Many people want a MID-ENGINE Coupe (Preferably lightweight). Its not about having just two seats. Its about the mid-engine feel and handling characteristics. Why do 911 owners automatically think Boxster's owners are settling for less? Only thing that is less is the power, which is purposely done by Porsche. I myself chose the current 986S over the base Carrera. I will be watching this 987S Coupe closely.

I don't mind them bringing out a Boxster Coupe, and I won't mind if it performs better than the roadster because it is lighter in weight, BUT, I will be furious if Porsche gives a higher performance spec engine, brakes, etc. to the coupe that is not made available in the roadster. I will absolutely not buy a Boxster that is lower spec than the Coupe, and I have no interest in the coupe.

Quote:
    derbaas said:

remember: there is no (rear-)mid-engine-coupe on market cheaper than 120 KEuro, isn't it?

Siggy

What about Lotus Exige?

Having owned a Boxster S (slightly modified) for 3 years and tracking it ... before i had to "upgrade" to a 996 becaue i needed extra seats for my newborn son ... i would say that the Boxster is the better balanced car with superior dynamic capabilities ... it only lacks power !!! And i'd take a bet, that a equally powered Boxster ... best setup chosen ... would be faster on a track like Nürburgring ... ?!

Greetz

I have said in before here, if you want an open top Porsche, buy a Boxster. The opposite also applies IMHO, if you want a fixed head Porsche buy a 911. If you can't justify the cost of a new 911 over a Boxster, buy a used one. Therefore the Boxster Coupe, is a complete an utter waste of time. Even if they make it lighter Porsche still won't let its performance equal that of the base 911. So at best, it might be marginally quicker than a Boxster, because the base 911 isn't that much quicker. I wouldn't put too much on its residual value, either! I guess they are aiming for a bit of a niche car - like the old BMW Z3M.

Quote:
    There still remains the question of the day: WHO will buy the Boxster Coupe, especially if it's gonna be more expensive than the Boxster Roadster?

I think the Boxster Coupe might sell in the beginning because a lot of people will see it as a 911 with two seats.
    But I'm not sure this marketing strategy will work out, it remains to be seen. I'm curious, honestly.

IMO the boxster coupé will be awesome. imagine a boxster with less weight, a stiffer chassis and without the boulevard-poseur-image.

a source working for porsche told me that the rear window can be opened (like the 996 targa's or the 928/986's) and that there's a (comparative) big luggage compartment beneath it. so it's practical as well.

i think the boxster coupé will fill the space the 968 CS left... an affordable dynamic agile sports car.

personally, i never liked the boxster much. but the 987 is really growing on me and i love the idea of a coupé version.

Ok. You are right. I forgot the Exige, although I tested the Elise R this summer...

My feeling was the Toyota engine unfortunately is not worth its price... but that is just my opinion and off topic

FWIW, I find the Toyota engine, and particularly the tranny far more refined than the engine in the older sport 190 / Exige, but again, off topic.

Quote:
    zzboba said:

IMO the boxster coupé will be awesome. imagine a boxster with less weight, a stiffer chassis and without the boulevard-poseur-image.

I could never understand this. Who cares what image is out there. Who cares what people think. Who cares if there are posers out there. The TRUTH is the Boxster/S is a FINE car. With enormous capabilities. IMO, handles better than a 911. I think the true enthusiast and gearheads are apart of making this image. SAD.

am I the only one who remembers why it was called a BOXSTER in the damn first place? "BOX"er (engine)+ road"STER" (body)
    this car should be the Boxcoupe I know its a [censored] name... but its fair at least.

I own a 97 Boxster... June build in 97... one of the last made in Stuttgart before they split production to Valmet...

I don't much care for the 987's looks it looks like a cross between a 986 (REAL Boxster) and the Toyota MR2 (wannabe boxster knockoff)... but the BoxCoupe looks really cool... I love the rear... and the new interior is very retro 993(as is the 997 interior)...

my third Porsche in my stable with probably be a 997S ... but an Iris Blue Metallic 987S Coupe is definitely in the plans... that car is sweet.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777119 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441667 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262765 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260936 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85190 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5561 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880635 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815896 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM