Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Preparing a 996 C2 for a Track Day

In October I schedule to participate in a Track Day event on the Spa Francorchamps circuit in Belgium. As this will be my first time driving my 996 on track I was wondering if there are any specific preparations to do on the car (brake pads, brake fluid, tire pressure,...). I emphasize that this is not a competition by any means but rather an opportunity for car enthusiasts to have fun away from 'sunday drivers' and speed radars . My personal objective is not to be the fastest but to (learn to) enjoy tracking the car in the best conditions.

Thanks for any experienced advise that you may have

Re: Preparing a 996 C2 for a Track Day

Just make sure your fluids are ok and check tire pressure and lug nuts.

It's always a good idea to flush (or at least bleed) the brake fluid. Ate Blue or Gold is a good choice (and cheap). If you like, you can go with track brake pads (Pagid Orange is a good choice). These are expensive and may not be necessary (unless your OEM pads are thinner than 3/4 thickness). Spa isn't too hard on brakes if I remember correctly - but just be conservative for the first couple sessions until you learn the track and your car.

If you're using street tires, start with lower than normal pressure or release some pressure once they get warm so that you have around 36psi front, 40psi rear when hot. You may want to adjust once you're there, but that should be close.

Have a great time! I've always wanted to drive at Spa! What a great place for a first track day - it's all down-hill from here

Here's a nice link to the NASA web site. It has some good advice on how to prepare yourself and your car for driving events.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/preparing.html

Have a great time!

Thanks for this information. Effectively I understand this first experience will be more about preparing the driver than the car. Once on the track, it will be a matter of safely exploring the limits of the car and the driver (the latter ones being probably below the car's).

Your quite right Grant. Spa is a rather mythical circuit. Why would you not come over in April-May next year (date not yet fixed) for the Yearly Porsche Days. This 3-day event every year attracts Porsche enthusiasts from all major clubs. I know of several Rennteam members who attended this year's edition. I will keep you posted on the event as soon as more details are known.

On a British website I found the following description of the famous "Raidillon" corner. I just love it...
    The steep downhill run from La Source hairpin is like launching yourself off a ski-jump. In most cars you'll hit the entry to Eau Rouge in fourth as you flick left and then right. In front is what seems like a vertical wall of tarmac. The compression as you hit it will punch your stomach and suspension in equal measure. Seconds later your stomach will be in your mouth and your springs and dampers will be making a bid for freedom as that windscreen full of tarmac becomes sky. Speed through Eau Rouge is critical because it's a long uphill drag to Les Combes.

This and other interesting information can be found on:
    CircuitDriver.com
    (in particular sections Track technique and Car preparation)

How about any mental advises?

I was at the spa porsche days this year, and it was fabulous. We didn't drive on the cirquit (only the parade) but it was already great to be there and watch... hundreds of porsches all over, untill you couldn't stand them anymore really great. I think the description of eau rouge is quite correct, love it!
    -Joost-

Quote:
    lev said:
    How about any mental advises?

Yeah, I'm 'listening' LEV!!!

The car's had its 90.000 km check-up and I took opportunity of fitting PAGID blue race pads and AP600 brake fluid. As such I won't have to worry for braking performance.

For tire pressure I have been told it would be appropriate to deflate 0.1 bar front (2.4 instead of 2.5) and 0.2 bar rear (2.8 instead of 3.0 bar).

I'm just not sure yet about what to do with the Traction Control... What's usually recommended: Shut it off or keep it on?!

You should keep the traction control on if this is your first track event. You in this car. Porsche traction control is not intrusive so you can still drive aggressively.

Just to tell you that the track-day yesterday went just perfect. For a first-timer I am extremely pleased, and impressed about the Spa Francorchamps track.
    The organization of the event by Marc DUEZ (fromer belgian rally-champion) was quite professional and I had opportunity to talk with experienced pilots. One instructor even drove a few laps in my car with me sitting next to him. This was in my 3rd run so I could well appreciate the advices on sight, steering position, 'finding the line', etc... The run thereafter I was going faster yet with much more control of the car.
    Congratulations also to PAG who produces exceptional road cars that fit on a track without any modifications. Most other contenders (except the Modena CSs, GT3 RSs and Lotus Exiges) had to return to the pits after 3 laps because of overheated brakes. Braking on my 996 is now exceptionnaly potent since I fitted the blue Pagid pads and AP600.

I for sure will continue tracking the car for fun. Apart from fun this was also a good learning experience for everyday road traffic...When driving home that night from Francorchamps to Brussels I felt much more confident with my car in the normal traffic.

For my part, next rendez-vous at Spa - the 2005 Porsche Days

The track is the best place to have fun with these toys. I'm sure it must have been a great day. Don't you have some pics?

J.Seven

Good to hear you had a lot of fun and made it back in one piece!

Did Marc Duez tell anything about his engagement with the GT Paragraph in the Belgian rally championship? Really curious...

When is the next track day in a similiar configuration? Any clue?

Here's some pics:

On this very mythical track...

To Ferdie:
    Next edition will be next year I reckon (until now it's been organized once a year). For sure, the event is having a lot of success.

Beautiful pics, very beautiful car.

J.Seven

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Did Marc Duez tell anything about his engagement with the GT Paragraph in the Belgian rally championship? Really curious...

I did not have the occasion to discuss this with him but from what I read the first experiences are rather encouraging. It seems that he holds fourth position in his second time out with the Porsche at the Belgian Rally Championship - Haspengouw rally. The main objective is to be fully ready for next year's championship.

Nice gear indeed

Congratulations! Can you tell us more experiences about that fantastic track?

Well Grant, acknowledging that these are some personal impressions of a newbie in track-driving (I haven't driven anywhere else than Spa, yet) some highlights:

The Raidillon is an absolutely thrilling experience. Coming from the La Source hairpin you speed downhill till 4th gear at 180 km/h and you break just slightly after the bottom of Eau Rouge before driving up that tarmac wall, still with sufficient throttle on. At that point you actually don't see anymore than 20 meters or so of track. The car is well settled on the road however due to the increased gravity. Coming up, you can get over the left curb-stones (still in fourth) and then the right paint marks while pressing full throtlle for the long straight till Les Combes . At the end of the straight I was usually at 200 - 220 km/h (5th gear) before hitting the brakes. The corner is turned in in 3th gear. Then you have a number of nice corners where it was a challenge to find the right line. I found the Rivage to Pouhon part quite difficult, because in addition to the corner you have to adapt to the negative inclination of the track (also downhill again). In this part it was amazing to see the lightweight-Caterhams flying by...Then there's the long turning straight to Blanchimont , which is taken at 160 to 200 km/h. Over here, finding the line is not easy, because it's so long... Then you arrive at the chicane, called Bus Stop . This one is actually re-designed (as it is on the map here above is the old version). Braking before the chicane is very intense but made effective and reliable by the Porsche Brembo's and Pagid blue with AP600 liquid. These brake pads whistle but not in a too disturbing way .
    Coming out of Bus Stop you accelerate full again, going by the F1 Pits, before taking the La Source hairpin, in 2nd gear. There's a lot of space to get out of the corner allowing you to accelerate quite early again. At that point you're between the paddocks and the concrete spectator tribunes (which nicely echoes the sound of the Flat6 coming out of the Sports-Mufflers ).

I think the weakest part of the gear (apart from me being still learning) were probably the tires. I was on my street-rims with Conti SportContact2 tires. If I will continue tracking the car (of course) more often it would probably make sense to have a dedicated rim-set with street-legal track tires (such as PZero Corsa) .

Thank you! Makes me feel like I was there with you

Grant - I recently found an autonut site which will make you really feel like if you were there. I for myself had a great feeling of "déjà-vu" when going on
    Radicalmotorsport.com, and click on "Spa Francorchamps '04 - Flying Lap". I have to say that in their race gear these guys do go faster through the "Raidillon" .

Dr. Carrera, I have nly been once to Spa yet -on the SPa 2004 porsche days- it was great. We did drive in the parade, in a 944, of course not ful speed, but it was very special, driving between Carrera RS's, 356's, PSI tuned turbo's, 30 years anni 911's, etc. Nice ot read how the lap is done ate more appropriate speed
    -Joost-

Quote:
    Dr. Carrera said:
    Grant - I recently found an autonut site which will make you really feel like if you were there. I for myself had a great feeling of "déjà-vu" when going on
    Radicalmotorsport.com, and click on "Spa Francorchamps '04 - Flying Lap". I have to say that in their race gear these guys do go faster through the "Raidillon" .

That was great! Thanks alot

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777746 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441896 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262872 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261086 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85354 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880766 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816240 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM