Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Just spec'd my baby

Just been into Porsche West London and chose the spec. Took me a while to choose the options but think it should be pretty nice.

3.2s (Manual),
    Arctic Silver,
    Metropole Blue leather,
    Blue roof,
    19" Carrera S wheels,
    Sports seats,
    Sports steering wheel,
    heated seats,
    BOSE sound + wind deflector,
    Climate control

Down for a Feb build, March delivery! Cant wait!!!!

Was going to go for the Cocco interior but after seeing the 997 in Silver with Blue I just had to have it!

Oh yeah, if anyone in the UK wants to get an early Jan delivery on a 3.2s, West London have a slot going. They offered it me today, but I cant take it, dont have the cash till Feb

Re: Just spec'd my baby

I think you mean Sea Blue leather.....regardless it will be an awesome combo......the silver on blue is great! Congrats!

Yeah think u might be right!

The 997 in the showroom had silver stiching with the blue leather anyone know if thats the standard? It looked great

Quote:
    RichJ said:
    Just been into Porsche West London and chose the spec. Took me a while to choose the options but think it should be pretty nice.

3.2s (Manual),
    Arctic Silver,
    Metropole Blue leather,
    Blue roof,
    19" Carrera S wheels,
    Sports seats,
    Sports steering wheel,
    heated seats,
    BOSE sound + wind deflector,
    Climate control

Down for a Feb build, March delivery! Cant wait!!!!

Was going to go for the Cocco interior but after seeing the 997 in Silver with Blue I just had to have it!

Oh yeah, if anyone in the UK wants to get an early Jan delivery on a 3.2s, West London have a slot going. They offered it me today, but I cant take it, dont have the cash till Feb

Congratulations, that man. Identical colour choice and
    very similar spec as mine same month delivery except that I've gone for bi-xenon lights, PASM and coloured wheel centres on the 19" wheels. PASM because the dealer recommended it as the aspect ratio of the 19" tyres apparently makes the ride quite hard.

Congratulations

When did you put your letter of intend in. Mine has been in since last Oct, still have not heard anything

It will look great! Have you chosen the sports wheel??? Looks much nicer than the standard and si really small!

My only concern about the color choice is that there will be a lot of silver ones on the road, hopefully most with black interiors though!

Dreamcar, do you know if the silver stitching comes with the sea blue leather or you have to spec it?

Huw, u need to give them a call I think. I only put my order in about a month ago!!

I don't know about most silver cars having black interiors. There's three of us on here going for silver with blue. It seems to be the combination of choice.

I was going for Cocco, but speaking to 2 sales guys put me off. They both reckoned it would hurt resale though, so I whent for the blue.
    Most of the silver ones I see on the road are silver / Black... Dont care anyway I suppose, its gonna look cool!!!

Quote:
    RichJ said:
    It will look great! Have you chosen the sports wheel??? Looks much nicer than the standard and si really small!

My only concern about the color choice is that there will be a lot of silver ones on the road, hopefully most with black interiors though!

Dreamcar, do you know if the silver stitching comes with the sea blue leather or you have to spec it?

Yes, sports steering wheel. The standard one doesn't seem to suit a sports car - it might look all right in the Cayenne. I don't think you do get silver stitching, if the 997's I've seen in the showrooms in the same combination are anything to go by. I suspect that it is not yet available, a lot of the cosmetic options aren't yet. I would have liked arctic silver rear section of centre console, but also not available yet. Never mind, I am already over my budget! BTW have you received the hard back brochure yourself in the post yet - because I haven't!

No brochure yet, to be honest Ive had nothing yet!! I got the small "teaser" brochure today but thats it. Hopefully will have it soon.

The 997s in the showroom today had what looked like silver stitching, same as the picture in this post...

Sea Blue with light stitching

I asked the salesman and he said it came with that color stitching, will be checking this with him again because it really looks good!

Hey RichJ,
    How much did the final price come to please? I think that is a very well judged spec.
    Does anyone know if there is an online price list yet for options? I'll have a look at Porsche's website next.

Pounds43,600 all in

Actually thats not as bad as I thought although well over my original "Lets go buy me a toy" budget

No price list on Porsche web yet. Got the price list at home, but no scanner sorry! Call your dealer they can probably fax you a price list through

Hi Rich,
    Cheers mate. My brother has nabbed the December car you mentioned! He spoke to Porsche West London today. We owe you a big thanks for the information.
    I spent a while with him on the phone tonight talking through the options list which included the prices. On top of what you are speccing, he is adding embossed headrests and chrome tail pipes (I wish my 2001 Boxster S had these). He thinks he will go for seal grey with black interior.

A couple more questions for you please:

1. When you spec sports seats, are they electric? ie the seat back angle is moved electrically but nothing else?

2. Is the sports steering wheel the one from the 997S with the big round boss in the centre? I'm not sure I like that.

Many thanks mate.

Hey np for the info mate, feel free to send over the 10% commission any time in the next few days!!!

Yup, only seat backs are electric. Everything else is manual on the sports seats. Full electric is about an extra Pounds1000 (+Pounds257 for sports seats). And if you spending that you might as well get the adaptive sports seats as they are only Pounds1600 and full electric.

As for the steering wheel, you need to see it in the flesh. Its nice and small and has a good feel to it and also the standard one just doesnt do it for me. Like Dreamcar said its just not that sporty! If you get down to West London Porsche you can see the seats and wheel on their 997 demo cars.

Boxster hardback brochure arrived in the post today.

Hi Rich,
    My brother is well chuffed. I have told him to consider the steering wheel carefully. In fact, I'm going to put a new thread up about steering wheels in a sec.
    He was told that he can't get chrome tipped exhausts...shame. He has gone for nice touches like embossed headrests and coloured wheel centres.
    I think the normal sports seats are just fine. I think we need to remember it is a Boxster being specced. If you go too heavy on options, you are too close to 997 money. I think that sat nav and ceramic brakes are too expensive to put on a Boxster when you have already added Pounds4-5000 extras.

you are right about the ceramic brakes, they are overkill on even the 987S.

however, do get bose, and sport seats and full leather, those are the MUSTS!

Sadly, the car is for my brother. I am sticking with my 2001 Boxster S for now (LOI in on the Coupe Club Sport!!!!)

You are right though. My brother has specced Bose, full leather and sports seats. He was pushed into getting the Sport Chrono Plus, but I'm not so sure it suits the Boxster, perhaps better on a GT3.

i think the sport chrono is also worth it along with PASM, as these are all options that are not retrofittable

the sport chrono has a button called SPORT which drastically improves performance. many 997S owners expressed regret for not getting this.

It doesn't increase performance!! It just adjusts throttle response and gives a more aggressive engine map, that's all. The power output isn't changed. I'm really not sure about this option. If I want to go faster in my Boxster S then I put my foot down further towards the carpet. I don't need the throttle made more sensitive for me.
    As for the stopwatch, it doesn't necessarily suit the Boxster. I've tracked my Boxster S a few times, and at the end of the day, it isn't really a track car. It is best on the open road where the stopwatch is useless. Timing at track days is also against the rules and you would be ejected if found out.
    So basically I don't think either function serves much purpose. I would only get it if I was convinced that it would drastically help resale.

i suppose your right.

i've heard from a few of the initial 997S chrono owners that the sport timer is difficult at best to use on the track ,one has to press the stalk twice, and there are much better standards in track timing that are cheaper.

that said, PASM may be useful for safety reasons.

I would like PASM if I was ordering one, but it's another thousand quid. Porsche aren't the most profitable car manufacturer for nothing are they?

i read that their average profit margin is 80k euro per car.

don't know how thats possible, but thats what it said.

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    i read that their average profit margin is 80k euro per car.

don't know how thats possible, but thats what it said.

I might be wrong on that one but Porsche earns a lot of money on the financial segment, even more than on the cars itself. If that's correct they might earn about 20 - 30k on each car. On the other hand, consider the amount of development on both the 987 and 997! Somehow you have to get the millions together for that!

Ferdie, you are right. Porsche earned more money with financial sector speculations (I hope this is the right word) than with their own cars.
    And yes, I heard that 20000-30000 Euro figure too but I don't know if it is true. Porsche uses high quality suppliers, so their profit is high but not as high as some people might think it is.
    Personally I think that they have the best profit with the Cayenne but I would lie if I would say that I have precise data to prove it.

I don't even find it a bad idea to back up Porsche's development with money from the financial sector!

Considering the performance and technology leap from the 996 to the 997 one can only speculate what upcoming models will present. Your hint regarding GT3's transmission fits right in there!

Quote:
    johnny senna said:
    It doesn't increase performance!! It just adjusts throttle response and gives a more aggressive engine map, that's all.

Not quite true, I'm afraid.

This all-new integrated system provides simultaneous enhancement for engine, chassis and optional Tiptronic S transmission. The results are even greater performance and pleasure from your Porsche, both on and off the racetrack.

Key system components include digital and analogue timers, a 'Sport' select button on the centre console, a performance display and a personal memory in PCM.

When 'Sport' mode is selected, the engine management system applies a new set of variables to enhance the engine response. A modified throttle map relates the pedal angle in the footwell to a much wider angle of opening in the throttle. As a result, the engine has a much more positive reaction to every pedal input. In the higher gears, a hard rev-limiter provides added protection for the engine under acceleration.

While all this is happening, the PASM system (standard on 911 Carrera S, optional on 911 Carrera) is also switching to 'Sport' mode. The dampers become firmer, enabling faster turn-in on corners as well as better road-holding and traction.

On vehicles with Tiptronic S, the automatic gearshifts become faster and more dynamic. Lift off from the throttle - even at high revs - and the system immediately shifts down to apply engine braking. There are also no unwanted upshifts in manual mode when approaching the engine rev limit. Since the driver has full control over every upshift, the handling of the car is much more secure, particularly when braking for a corner. To minimise assistance from PSM, the trigger threshold for this system is raised. The result is a more natural and involving response to lateral and longitudinal g-forces.

Mid-corner agility is considerably enhanced, with greater scope for oversteer on turn-in and exit. This added freedom of movement is particularly apparent in lower-speed sequences and bends.

For maximum dexterity, PSM can be partially disabled while the car is still in 'Sport' mode. PSM simply monitors the forces acting on the car and will only intervene in the most critical of situations, e.g., when ABS assistance is required on both front brakes.

To help you quantify the car's performance, the Sport Chrono Package Plus includes a time recorder unit on the dashboard. Functions are accessed via the control stalk for the on-board computer. Analogue dials measure hours, minutes and seconds, while a separate digital field displays whole seconds, tenths and one hundredths. The digital field runs in parallel with a second display which is conveniently located in the instrument cluster.

Individual lap times can be viewed, stored and analysed using the performance display in the Porsche Communication Management terminal. Available information includes the time and distance travelled on the current lap as well as the number of laps completed and the respective times. The system can also display the current fastest lap as well as the remaining range till empty. Driving times can be recorded for any stretch of road, and benchmark times can be defined. Other useful features include a memory function controlled via the PCM terminal which can store a range of personal preferences, e.g., daytime driving lights, 'Welcome Home' light function, automatic air conditioning and door-lock mode.

It is funny: people spend thousands for Aerokits, leather stuff, wings, spacers, etc. but they don't want to spend a couple of hundreds for one of the most useful features available for the 987 and 997. Strange.

And whoever says he can't really feel a difference, should really reconsider buying a Porsche. Because there is a difference and it is not only about throttle response but also about PSM mapping. For people who intend to use their car on the track too, a MUST. Because the only other option would be to turn PSM off completely and I'd say that 90% of the drivers might have some weird surprises, especially in the mid engined 987.

RC,

I 100% stand by what I said.

So, the system affects the 1) engine 2) chassis 3) tiptronic........OK, so I'll begin!!

1) The engine.....the system DOES NOT increase power, it just remaps the engine so the engine is more sensitive to throttle input. So what? I am 100% not bothered by this. I prefer to use the full pedal travel of my accelerator to decide how my engine revs (TVR use a long travel throttle pedal so owners can more easily modulate the revs of the engine). I don't need the pedal to be made more sensitive. I will simply press my foot further towards the carpet like Porsche drivers of old.

2) Regarding the chassis.....this is only relevant if owners spec the PASM, and not many people WILL according to my dealer. You can't put ALL the options on a Boxster S, it doesn't make financial sense for resale, you should by a base 997 instead.

3) Regarding the tiptronic.....TIPTRONIC!!!!! What place does this auto box with naff buttons on the wheel have in a discussion about "sport" anything?

Oh yeah.....the stop watch......it looks rubbish AND it isn't going to be an accurate lap timer unless you have a timing beacon on the pit wall that stops the clock every time you drive past it, and I don't think the Porsche system has this, so what on earth is the point? It is sad.

Dude, I rest my case.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752957 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430636 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258557 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255438 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868233 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801770 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM