Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Sale of Carrera GT

I thought some of you might be interested in the final disposition of my Carrera GT. Earlier posts certainly outlined the issues I had with the car after driving it 4,000 miles. I left the car at Sonnen Motors in Mill Valley three weeks ago for sale. We agreed to make the car available at $435K. The car was sold for $431K, to a local person who was already on the list with Sonnen for a CGT, though production of his car would not take place for 18 months. I think I received a very fair price considering the mileage. It was the most difficult and emotional decision I have ever made around an automobile. I so enjoyed the car in so many ways and yet, for the way I like to use a car, it just did not meet my needs or expectations. While signing the consignment agreement, I realized I had been a Porsche enthusiast and owner for decades and this would be the first time I did not have a Porsche in my garage. Fortunately, there was a seal grey/black 997 Carrera S on display, which I acquired and drove away two hours later. And yes, the car is a six speed. It is so great to drive. If Porsche modifies the clutch/transmission on the CGT, I will certainly want to again have a CGT in my garage. If not, a 997 Turbo will be the next Porsche in my life.

Re: Sale of Carrera GT

Thanks larry, for the update. Have you spoken to the new owner? Did you express your reservations about the car to him before the purchase? Did he test drive it extensively or at all before he plunked down that sizeable chunk of change? What has been his reaction so far, if yoy know any of this.
    Tom

Thanks for the update.

So I guess it is "the king is dead, long live the king"?
    Sorry to hear about your decision, Larry but you bought yourself a nice toy until the 997 Turbo shows up.

Thanks RC.

I haven't had any contact with the new owner. The sale took place last week when I was in Paris attending the press days of the Paris Auto Show. It was all handled by the dealer. I am certain I will see him at some point.

Thanks for the update. Too bad it wasn't what you though it would be. Seems like you're not alone...

Have fun with the Carrera S!

Look at the bright side larry. How many people can say they left a porsche dealership driving a brand new car plus 300K in their pocket.
    Tom

so you took a 10-20k hit?

Don't I wish!!!!! MSRP (inc. air shipment)was $460K, California Sales Tax was $33K, plus license and gas guzzler tax of about 5K, for $500K more or less purchase price. Sale at $431K less sales expense. So about $80K +/-!!! I thought the CGT was a car I would keep for a long time, otherwise I would have leased the car and that would have reduced the sales tax hit substantially. What did I learn from this rather expensive journey? In the future, do not buy a totally new design vehicle, such as a CGT, or Enzo, or Bugatti Veyron, without first driving it. If I had been able to drive the CGT when in Leipzig, I do not think I would have taken delivery of the car. Based on my earlier Porsche experiences, I couldn't imagine the car being anything but a very driveable automobile.

Quote:
    Larry B said:
    Don't I wish!!!!! MSRP (inc. air shipment)was $460K, California Sales Tax was $33K, plus license and gas guzzler tax of about 5K, for $500K more or less purchase price. Sale at $431K less sales expense. So about $80K +/-!!! I thought the CGT was a car I would keep for a long time, otherwise I would have leased the car and that would have reduced the sales tax hit substantially. What did I learn from this rather expensive journey? In the future, do not buy a totally new design vehicle, such as a CGT, or Enzo, or Bugatti Veyron, without first driving it. If I had been able to drive the CGT when in Leipzig, I do not think I would have taken delivery of the car. Based on my earlier Porsche experiences, I couldn't imagine the car being anything but a very driveable automobile.

Logical point re: driving new model before buying, but I suspect F would calmly hand Enzo at MSRP to a more "grateful" customer if one demanded drive before signing (and probably black-list you for Enzo successor)...and in Enzo's case one could laugh all the way to bank, even if its driving characteristics weren't up to snuff. Ultimately, it's a game of speculation that can make some cars like Enzo at MSRP very cheap to own and drive....and some cars such as CGT more expensive than MSRP would lead one to believe.

80k+ hit

A very good point VKSF.

Quote:
    Larry B said:
    If I had been able to drive the CGT when in Leipzig, I do not think I would have taken delivery of the car.

The cynic in me finds it very interesting that Porsche wouldn't let somebody--who put down a $50K non-refundable deposit on a $500K car, and who flew to Germany for a test drive--actually drive the car when they came to Leipzig...

We all heard the excuse about a journalist crashing one in a test drive...very convenient...

Larry, BTW did you get your CL65 yet? If so, any impressions? I keep hearing rave reviews on SL/CL65 as commuter cars from SF/Greenwich guys who've traded in 55s.

Quote:
    poursha said:
    Thanks for the update. Too bad it wasn't what you though it would be. Seems like you're not alone...

I didn't check it today, but yesterday there were 19 (nineteen!) CGTs for sale on www.autoscout24.de ! Most of them available immediately. There's also one for sale in Switzerland (at sticker) on www.autoclick.ch

Greetings,
    --Pierre

PS: Larry, glad to know you managed to sell yours, despite the 80k loss.

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    Larry B said:

Logical point re: driving new model before buying, but I suspect F would calmly hand Enzo at MSRP to a more "grateful" customer if one demanded drive before signing (and probably black-list you for Enzo successor)...and in Enzo's case one could laugh all the way to bank, even if its driving characteristics weren't up to snuff. Ultimately, it's a game of speculation that can make some cars like Enzo at MSRP very cheap to own and drive....and some cars such as CGT more expensive than MSRP would lead one to believe.

There is no speculation when buying a Porsche. The depreciation will be substantial. That is reality and the fact it may be a great car will not change the dynamic.

Sorry about the loss but I still believe the Carrera Gt is the greatest car ever built

Quote:
    Larry B said:
    I thought some of you might be interested in the final disposition of my Carrera GT. Earlier posts certainly outlined the issues I had with the car after driving it 4,000 miles. I left the car at Sonnen Motors in Mill Valley three weeks ago for sale. We agreed to make the car available at $435K. The car was sold for $431K, to a local person who was already on the list with Sonnen for a CGT, though production of his car would not take place for 18 months. I think I received a very fair price considering the mileage. It was the most difficult and emotional decision I have ever made around an automobile. I so enjoyed the car in so many ways and yet, for the way I like to use a car, it just did not meet my needs or expectations. While signing the consignment agreement, I realized I had been a Porsche enthusiast and owner for decades and this would be the first time I did not have a Porsche in my garage. Fortunately, there was a seal grey/black 997 Carrera S on display, which I acquired and drove away two hours later. And yes, the car is a six speed. It is so great to drive. If Porsche modifies the clutch/transmission on the CGT, I will certainly want to again have a CGT in my garage. If not, a 997 Turbo will be the next Porsche in my life.

The car was on sale for $435k and the guy bought it for $431k? What a great negotiator!

David

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    The car was on sale for $435k and the guy bought it for $431k? What a great negotiator!

We're talking about a Carrera GT, not a Lexus.
    In Germany Carrera GT for immediate delivery still sell slightly over MSRP.

Quote:
    RC said:

Do they actually sell or are they for sale at above MSRP?...
    Greetings,
    --Pierre

Quote:
    pierre said:

Do they actually sell or are they for sale at above MSRP?...
    Greetings,
    --Pierre

Interesting question. To be honest, I don't really know. I heard about a guy in Bavaria who bought one for 8000 Euro over MSRP from an "independent" dealer but otherwise, I don't have more information. You could be right, they might be advertised over MSRP but they might sell at MSRP or even below MSRP as well.

I know that a lot of people interested in buying a Carrera GT are speculating to get a new or slightly used one for way below MSRP sooner or later. It might work out for some but if world economics take a boost, I wouldn't bet on it.
    Right now however I think that the Iraq war, the high oil prices and housemade economical problems especially in Europe don't really allow a boost in world economics over the next 2-3 years. But I'm no fortune teller.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    DavidSF said:

We're talking about a Carrera GT, not a Lexus.

Actually I was talking about the buyer who paid $431k. Obviously he's very wealthy, so personally I don't see the point in negotiating $4k down from the asking price. It seems like the same thing if I negotiaed $100 off the asking price of my $50k Boxster. Well, I guess money is money. I hear Bill Gates clips coupons.

David

Speaking of Bill Gates , what's wrong with this scenario : He's one of the wealthiest people on earth, he's giving away a lot of his money and decides who gets what , he has tremendous reponsibilities to his company and shareholders - and he is driven around by handlers/aids and a following car of security . But he's not wearing a seat belt per story in our local paper when he was in town yesterday going down one of our busier accident prone freeways ! Many of our heads of state are the same way - or fly in pvt craft unbelted . Head vs windshield / ceiling is not a pleasant thought.

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    I hear Bill Gates clips coupons.

Maybe, but what I want to know is, does his PC also crash because of Windows glitches?

Quote:
    MKW said:
    ... . But he's not wearing a seat belt per story in our local paper when he was in town yesterday going down one of our busier accident prone freeways ! Many of our heads of state are the same way - or fly in pvt craft unbelted . Head vs windshield / ceiling is not a pleasant thought.

It seems to be a trait of many people in power. Perhaps it is psychological and they think they are so powerful that they are immune to accidents.

Really, it is utter stupidity. The famous Princess Diana accident was the same thing - of the four S500 occupants, the only survivor was the front passenger, the only one wearing a seatbelt.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    MKW said:
    ... . But he's not wearing a seat belt per story in our local paper when he was in town yesterday going down one of our busier accident prone freeways ! Many of our heads of state are the same way - or fly in pvt craft unbelted . Head vs windshield / ceiling is not a pleasant thought.

It seems to be a trait of many people in power. Perhaps it is psychological and they think they are so powerful that they are immune to accidents.

Really, it is utter stupidity. The famous Princess Diana accident was the same thing - of the four S500 occupants, the only survivor was the front passenger, the only one wearing a seatbelt.

Although I always seem to see Larry Ellison driving around SF region in his SL55 belted up...which Larry even references in some investor presentations, etc, raving about Merc safety engineering/systems.....different strokes for different billionaires....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Although I always seem to see Larry Ellison driving around SF region in his SL55 belted up...which Larry even references in some investor presentations, etc, raving about Merc safety engineering/systems.....different strokes for different billionaires....

Larry is not stupid. It surprises me to hear that BillG limos around w/o belts - it's not in character - he is not stupid either.

Larry Ellison, now theres a billionare that knows how to enjoy life.

Without wearing a seatbelt, Rennteam.com wouldn't exist because I wouldn't exist now anymore.
    I had a serious accident around 19 years ago when a car hit me in the right front fender while I was entering during green light an intersection at around 65 kph. The other guy was doing aprox. 90 kph, he ignored the red light and hit me at full speed. My car flipped over two times and slided on the roof(!) for about 200 meters, stopping around 50 meters from an approaching bus(!). Lucky me, the bus driver was able to come to a full stop around 5 meters from my car.
    I was wearing a seatbelt (by that time, this wasn't something usual but I was used to it from racing) and I "only" had three broken ribs...apparently from the seatbelt. Without the seat belt, I would have been dead for sure, almost everything I had inside the car, including my watch(!) flew out of the car. Even now when I look at the pictures of the destroyed car (totaled!), I can't imagine how I got out alive. The police officer who was working on this case (the other driver was DRUNK!) said that in his entire career as a police officer, he never saw somebody escaping alive from such an accident. They brought me to the hospital for a check-up but I left the hospital on my own responsibility the same day and found out about the broken ribs about two weeks later because I had serious lateral chest pain.

The morale of my story: anybody driving without a seatbelt isn't only stupid, he/she is INSANE. Seatbelts are a MUST and sports car drivers driving without seatbelts are dumb, dumber, the dumbest! I don't know ONE SINGLE race car driver who would race his car without a seatbelt.

The Diana accident shows how a little moment without wearing a seatbelt can decide about life or death. Her body guard survived the accident because he had the seat belt put on. This is actually strange because body guards usually don't wear a seat belt to be able to react fast. Lucky him.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778800 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442172 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263039 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261324 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85559 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5773 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881008 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817119 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM