Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche UK New Extended Warranty T's & C's

Took my car down to the dealer today for it's two year service. Time to take out the extended warranty. Starting on 1st October, Porsche UK are offering a new, much more comprehensive extended warranty, with the option of two years cover. It is now necessary to have the car inspected prior to taking out / renewing the policy, however if this co-incides with a service then Pounds100 is knocked off the premium (Pounds1,150 for Boxster / Cayman. Pounds1,350 for 997). This premium for two years is Pounds1,995 for Boxster, I guess similar pro-rata reduction for 911. Another advantage of two years cover is there is no need for an annual inspection, only at the end of the two year period which would of course again co-incide with a service (unless driven more than 20,000 miles in two years).

Here are scans of the new policy document, for info :-

Re: Porsche UK New Extended Warranty T's & C's

Thanks v much for the info DC

verrrry interesting! Thanks for posting it all.

Quote:
    mnmatt said:
    verrrry interesting! Thanks for posting it all.

Unless I'm mistaken Porsche give the shortest warranty period of any car manufacturer here in the UK.

It's all right for you lot "over there" - you get hefty discounts new, on much lower list prices AND a four year warranty AND to add insult to injury once you've got your cheap car with its for ever warranty you can fill it up with dirt cheap fuel.

Sorry DC, what's the main differences in cover? (I'm too lazy to read the small print!)

Great post - will worry about it in two years!!

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Sorry DC, what's the main differences in cover? (I'm too lazy to read the small print!)

I don't have any experience of the earlier policy (car only just entering extended warranty period) but my understanding is the previous warranty had loads of exclusions (PCM etc) and the new one offers much more comprehensive cover, it now even includes the xenon headlights, excludes mainly wear and tear items.

There's a lot about this on piston heads forums.

I think the main impact is that you won't be able to use independent Porsche garages at all.

Didn't really read into it as I've always chosen to be serviced / mugged by my OPC.

Not only that - the revised Ts & Cs exclude cover if an independent garage does work on the car and also if one does work on the car for oneself. Obviously, some common sense must be involved since we all have to top up with engine oil every so often BUT fundamentally, PCGB doesn't want customers doing anything more major than that for themselves...

Just been to the OPC to buy a new 2 year extended warranty.

I was amazed when they told me that I would have to remove my hard-wired camera detector as it violates the new terms & conditions and constitutes a modification.

The car is currently undergoing the full checks and I'm due to collect it later today.

I'm not leaving it at this. They hard-wired the detector for me themselves when I bought the car from them and were happy to do so to cement the sale.

More later when I've collected the car......

Quote:
    wtsnet said:

I see OPC's aren't making enough money out of new customers (as sales have decreased) so they have decided to fleece existing customer more under the pretense of a 'warranty that is more comprehensive'.

Personally, I don't mind spending a lot of money on something as long as I am not being ripped off in the process. OPCs are moving more and more in this direction though and I for one will go elsewhere because of it

Alex, I've followed your mods with interest. I presume that Porsche will not be accommodating to you when your car comes to 2 years old. What are your plans going forward, as I very much presume your cars a long term keeper.

Well my Turbo after 8000 miles and 11 months has been absolutely perfect, no issues what-so-ever. So <touch-wood> I am hoping this trend continues if I keep looking after the car well.

If/when I do need servicing and warranties, then I will probably go elsewhere. It will certainly be cheaper than an OPC, and much more flexible. I heard Tech9 might be coming out with their own warranty for modified cars so I may look into this

I have never been much into insurances though. The extended warranty I took out on my old 997 C2S Cab was a total waste of money. I have never made any kind of big insurance claim in my life, so I am thinking I might not even bother and just pay for fixes as and when required. Yes, it's a gamble should my engine suddenly blow up but a calculated one given I don't ever really trash my cars and I look after them like they were part of the family!

Alex - that's a fair appraisal and attitude to adopt, especially if you've bought the car from new.

My own experience is somewhat different in that the extended warranty has saved me money. Not only have I had 'major' repairs i.e. RMS, water pump, labour on a new clutch, steering rack etc, but the service I've received from 'Porsche Assistance', which is included in the extended warranty package, has been truly excellent.

IMHO - the Porsche Assistance element of the warranty sets it apart from other options.

I realise that, with the mods to your car, you will have no option but to look elsewhere or simply take a chance....good luck.

I prefer the peace of mind that comes with the new E.W. package...sod's law and all that.

Quote:
    John H said:
    Just been to the OPC to buy a new 2 year extended warranty.

I was amazed when they told me that I would have to remove my hard-wired camera detector as it violates the new terms & conditions and constitutes a modification.

The car is currently undergoing the full checks and I'm due to collect it later today.

I'm not leaving it at this. They hard-wired the detector for me themselves when I bought the car from them and were happy to do so to cement the sale.

More later when I've collected the car......

Following on from my earlier post above....I collected the car this afternoon and it had passed the 111 point checks okay.

As far as the hard-wired camera detector is concerned, they agreed with me that, as it was fitted by them, it doesn't violate the Terms & Conditions. However, if I'd fitted it myself or anywhere else, it would have done. Just something to bear in mind, as is the PSE mod which, if left in place would also be considered a violation.

Incidentally...the costs are... 111 point checkover - Pounds172.00...Two years extended warranty (including Porsche Assistance) - Pounds1892.13...VAT - Pounds30.19...Total - Pounds2095.00.

Quote:
    John H said:
    Incidentally...the costs are... 111 point checkover - Pounds172.00...Two years extended warranty (including Porsche Assistance) - Pounds1892.13...VAT - Pounds30.19...Total - Pounds2095.00.

OUTCH! So a grand a year insurance, on top of the normal car insurance we all have to pay and doesn't cover anything 'wear-and-tear'

Oh, and if you sell your car in that period then you don't get any of that money back as it's non-transferable

Quote:
    Alex_997TT said:
    Oh, and if you sell your car in that period then you don't get any of that money back as it's non-transferable

Yes it is.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    Alex_997TT said:

Yes it is.

DC's right Alex..the new one is transferable and there's a page at the back of the Policy booklet especially for that purpose.

Quote:
    Alex_997TT said:
    Quote:
    John H said:

OUTCH! So a grand a year insurance, on top of the normal car insurance we all have to pay and doesn't cover anything 'wear-and-tear'

Each to their own...but I don't mind Pounds2.50 a day for the peace of mind, especially now that I've decided to keep my car for at least another 18 months.

Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    Alex_997TT said:

Yes it is.

DC's right Alex..the new one is transferable and there's a page at the back of the Policy booklet especially for that purpose.

Very happy to hear that

I got royally shafted when I traded in my Carrera back to the OPC on my old extended warranty!

Quote:
    John H said:

@John H: you did well there - your OPC is charging you Pounds400 less than the normal price. PCGB and various London dealerships have confirmed to me that the uniform price across the UK is supposed to be Pounds2495 inc VAT for a 2 year extended warranty (inc the 111 point check and Porsche Assistance). Which OPC did you go to? I have an appointment later today at my local OPC for the same thing.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    811108 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    451288 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    268652 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91505 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8326 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

890002 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    847126 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM