Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 Standard Seats vs Power Comfort Seats

Placed an order for a 997.2 2S Cab yesterday

Made the mistake of asking the salesman whether the configuration that I ordered would be attractive to a potential buyer sometime in the future..

His response was that all of his dealership's purchasers insisted on power seats in a $100K+ car, and I was ordering the Standard Seats. I made this choice since I would be the only driver of the car and therefore would only need to adjust the seat once and similarly for my wife who is passenger (as in our Boxster) AND the Power Comfort seats cost cost an additional $1580.

We are ordering both the heated and the ventilated seat options for $1300.

I wonder how many folks out there who have purchased 997s with Standard seats regret not ordering electric seats, or has everyone ordered them as the dealer is suggesting?

We still have the opportunity to change the order.

Re: 997 Standard Seats vs Power Comfort Seats

I think you should buy the car for you, not for the next guy.

The depreciation on these cars is breathtaking in any event -- it's better not to dive into that rabbit hole. Get the color and options you want and the car's still going to sell/trade when you're ready for the next one.

That said, I've got the power seats in my C2S Cab and I sure don't get my money's worth out of them. Heated and ventilated sounds like money well spent on a cab. I sure wish ventilated seats had been an option when I bought and I'll surely spec them the next time around.

When you take delivery I want a ride.

Quote:
    Nugget said:
    I think you should buy the car for you, not for the next guy.

The depreciation on these cars is breathtaking in any event -- it's better not to dive into that rabbit hole. Get the color and options you want and the car's still going to sell/trade when you're ready for the next one.

That said, I've got the power seats in my C2S Cab and I sure don't get my money's worth out of them. Heated and ventilated sounds like money well spent on a cab. I sure wish ventilated seats had been an option when I bought and I'll surely spec them the next time around.

When you take delivery I want a ride.

Thanks for the advice! You got the ride. We can try that corner on Spicewood...

I hate power seats. They are too slow to move for me. I can adjust perfectly and quickly manual seats.

I don't regret getting standard seats. They are quickly adjustable and slightly lighter than full power seats. Power seats do offer lumbar and memory, which would be nice, but not worth the price of admission IMO.

Power seats weigh 4 kgs more each! So when people put "exotic" materials in cars to save weight, there you are adding substantial weight for something almost unnecessary.

With standard seats up/down movement is very easy and convenient with the side lever and so is the back/front horizontal movement. The seat back is electric on standard seats too.

If you are looking to race, you would put race buckets in. If you are looking to drive your own car, put what YOU want in it. I'm amazed how many people buy these cars with their eye first on how they will resell it later. Screwy. Having seat memory is nice for when you pick it up from the shop and the mechanic has moved the seat to drive the car, and the lumbar adjustment is good for long road trips, but if you are ok with the standard seats and the extra money is better put to use on some other option, then do so.

adaptives are much better seats. and it is of great advantage that you can adjust the side bolsters...

I love the standard seats. I was always in the ready position to order the adaptives until I sat in them, waaaay to constrictive, and Im 5'10", medium shoulder. I prefer power if someone else already paid for it, my spec car would more than likely have the power.

I have the same concerns as you 997S4KEN, I liked them for the short time I sat in them on a test drive, but am borrowing a car from today to tomorrow to use and drive longer distance to make sure I want them long term as this will be my DD. I did like the side bolsters on the sport adaptives, just not sure about the shoulder bolsters.

Will be sure tomorrow one way or the other by tomorrow!

Since I turned 40 my "guiding principle" has been

The Three Cs

Comfort
    Convenience
    Safety

Long trip? Make a _C_onvenient minor seat adjustment (the more adjustments the better); trip seems to get shorter.

BTW, I "dislike" people when they say stuff like, "You don't _need_ that." There's a cr*pload of stuff I don't need; them trying to make up my mind for me is among that load.

THANK YOU ALL for your advice!

I am ordering without power seats.

2S Cab. late October delivery

Final options list:
    -Standard Carrera S II wheel
    -Wheel caps with colored crest
    -Standard seats
    -Heated seats
    -Ventilated seats
    -Floor mats
    -Meteor Gray metallic paint
    -Cocoa top
    -Stone Gray Standard leather
    -Self dimming mirrors
    -6 speed manual xmission
    -Sport shifter
    -Limited slip differential
    -Sport Chrono
    -Navigation module for PCM
    -Bluetooth for phone
    -Universal audio interface
    -Bose

No sports PASM?

Quote:
    sahoon said:
    No sports PASM?

Not available on Cabs

I like mordern cars and the convenience they bring. The sport seat is nice and looks good with the painted 'shell' in the back.

I will choose mechanical over electrical simply because it gives me a bit of good old racy feel to modern day car, something mechanical and a bit retro. In any event, even the mechancial seat will have electrical adjustment for the back rest.

When we are paying this much for a car, spec it the way YOU like after listening to the forum opinions.

I have the power option on my std. seats. It is one of the best options. The ability to make adjustemnts, inc. lumbar, is well worth it. The seats are better than those in my two BMW's( 3 & 5 series). Do it....GR

grease,
    good luck with the new car. I see you picked sport shifter. I am contemplating this option. Have you driven a 911 with the sport shifter? Was a big difference?

Congrats on the new-car order!

If that were MY cab, I'd be ditching the standard interior for full leather. You have full leather in your 550 Boxster, and the change might be hard to adjust too. I couldn't imagine dropping $100 + on a car without it.

My suggestion: Cocoa full leather/ Cocoa top / Meteor Gray.

Just saying.

Oh, I want a ride, too! I give free car washes....

Quote:
    schobydoby said:
    grease,
    good luck with the new car. I see you picked sport shifter. I am contemplating this option. Have you driven a 911 with the sport shifter? Was a big difference?

Hi Scobydoby,
    THANKS for the compliment, we are really getting excited!

My present Boxster has the Sport shifter, and I have also test driven a 997.1 4S with the sport shifter directly after driving a 997.1 2S with stock shifter. From all experiences I prefer the sport shifter. Since this is the one option that I use ALL the time when driving, it was the easiest option to justify to myself for the 997.2.

Since I live in Austin, TX I and we have mild winters, I have never experienced the additional shifting effort due to cold transmission lubricant that some others have mentioned.

Quote:
    MattTheCarNut said:

If that were MY cab, I'd be ditching the standard interior for full leather. You have full leather in your 550 Boxster, and the change might be hard to adjust too. I couldn't imagine dropping $100 + on a car without it.

Just saying.

Hey Matt,
    Thanks! You got the the ride!

The standard vs full leather choice has been the hardest one for me. My wife and I personally love the Cocoa Full Leather with GT Silver interior accents on the Boxster (still for sale if you know anyone who may be interested).

However, at Full Leather adding almost $4K extra it is a hard piil to swallow. I certainly wouldn't give up $4K worth of the Functional options that we have chosen for the full leather. So at the end, I guess it comes down to individual's priorities; e.g. versus:
    - New kitchen appliances
    - 1000 gallons of premium gas (20K+ miles)
    - 3+ years of insurance premiums
    - tires and wheels for DE
    - etc.

But we will miss the full leather, and yes I agree wholeheartedly, that a car in this price range should have more leather standard on it.

Quote:
    grease said:
    Quote:
    MattTheCarNut said:

Just saying.

Hey Matt,
    Thanks! You got the the ride!

The standard vs full leather choice has been the hardest one for me. My wife and I personally love the Cocoa Full Leather with GT Silver interior accents on the Boxster (still for sale if you know anyone who may be interested).

However, at Full Leather adding almost $4K extra it is a hard piil to swallow. I certainly wouldn't give up $4K worth of the Functional options that we have chosen for the full leather. So at the end, I guess it comes down to individual's priorities; e.g. versus:
    - New kitchen appliances
    - 1000 gallons of premium gas (20K+ miles)
    - 3+ years of insurance premiums
    - tires and wheels for DE
    - etc.

But we will miss the full leather, and yes I agree wholeheartedly, that a car in this price range should have more leather standard on it.

Yes, I seem to be good at spending other people's money.

I saw the 997.2 in Aqua Blue (Cobalt Impersonator!), and it looks stunning. You're going to enjoy it!!

Just did 100+ mile drive yesterday. Because of this thread I was thinking about my seat choice. I have A.S.S. . Conclusion: the more adjustments with electrics the better. FWIW.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    812706 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    452847 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    272943 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91985 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    9110 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

891299 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    850096 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM