Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

California tomorrow evening in Maranello

Official presentation, do you something about it?

Re: California tomorrow evening in Maranello

There are a few of us from Rennteam going to the event. It's a gala dinner followed by a presentation of the new car at the factory.

i have 3 friends going...

i have a friend going.

They will see the video that we made in California, tell me what they think....i'm the driver of the red car I don't go to the event

http://www.ferraricalifornia.com/webapp/feel.htm?locale=en_GB

live online!? 3 hrs left

www.ferraricalifornia.com

Quote:
    The Hawk said:
    They will see the video that we made in California, tell me what they think....i'm the driver of the red car I don't go to the event

Allora ...how does the Cali drive ? is it a ladys car or what ?

cali site is already trnsmiting a small video ...

Quote:
    rosso nuvola said:
    Quote:
    The Hawk said:

Allora Is not a lady car, not extreme like 430 but is funny to drive

Quote:
    The Hawk said:
    Quote:
    rosso nuvola said:
    Quote:
    The Hawk said:

Allora Is not a lady car, not extreme like 430 but is funny to drive

Allora, no ladies car and they've abandoned the girly brakes - hard times for women at Ferrari.

what a speech Montezemolo made uaaauuuu

Just got back from last night's launch at the factory. Around 1000 guests there with a tour of the new California assembly hall, gala dinner then launch of the car. I have to say that the car is much, MUCH better looking in the metal and think a lot of people will change their opinions once they have had a chance to see it for themselves.

The new assembly line is not automated other than a moving floor system with air bag like billows fitted in parts that the cars sit upon allowing the workers to raise and lower them to suit the height of the assembly task they are performing. Parts arrive at the line in large enclosed trolleys which have flock lined drawers containing each part required for that stage of assembly. The shelves are lined to ensure the parts are not damaged and are placed in the pull out drawers in the sequence in which they are fitted. The only automated process is a robot that fits the bonded windscreen. The cars are therefore still handbuilt, something the Ferrari staff were keen to point out. The new assembly hall is very impressive and on route to it we drove past the engine assembly hall where there were a few rows of V8's destined for 430s visible, then past the hall where the 599 and 430 are built. The factory is very impressive and a lot larger than I had somehow envisaged it would be.

I'm sure there will be lots of pics of the California posted later today as people get home. I only had my camera phone and my pictures aren't worth wasting bandwidth on. There were three wheel styles on the half dozen or so static display cars. The standard 5 arm design we've seen, a a 5 star pentagram style like the 599 and some very tasty 20" wheels with a finish similar to Porsche's 997 turbo i.e. painted graphite inner rim and spokes with polished outer surface. The car looks taut and aggressive and nothing like a GranTurismo. It looks a lot smaller for starters though this may be an optical illusion. The front grill treatment does recall the more traditional Ferrari face when you see it. The finish of these pre-production cars looked superb with good paint, panel gaps, trim and leather work. The interior is very attractive IMO. The rear seats will be usable by children if someone of around 5'7" or so is in the front seats. Anyone taller than that will probably have their seat encroaching into the modest rear legroom. Hats off to Ferrari for putting them in though as they look to have more space width wise than a 911. It was hard to say this definitively due to the scrum around the cars. I managed to get in a passenger seat and was impressed by the interior layout. The design is new but still instantly says Ferrari to me. The centre bridge with the F1 buttons looks good and the satnav/infotainment unit actually looks decent. The colours on display were rosso/tan, a darker grey metallic/tan, the blue/crema car that's been seen on the net, nero/grey, and a dark solid blue which was a few shades lighter than navy and probably from the 50s/60s range. I personally thought that car looked awful due to the colour. Massa, Raikonen and Schumaker were there and drove the cars through the dining area. No worries on the sound of the V8

A spectacular fireworks display rounded off the evening in some style and I'm glad I went on the trip.

thanks for the write-up ISUK, really impressive.

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    Just got back from last night's launch at the factory. Around 1000 guests there with a tour of the new California assembly hall, gala dinner then launch of the car. I have to say that the car is much, MUCH better looking in the metal and think a lot of people will change their opinions once they have had a chance to see it for themselves.

The new assembly line is not automated other than a moving floor system with air bag like billows fitted in parts that the cars sit upon allowing the workers to raise and lower them to suit the height of the assembly task they are performing. Parts arrive at the line in large enclosed trolleys which have flock lined drawers containing each part required for that stage of assembly. The shelves are lined to ensure the parts are not damaged and are placed in the pull out drawers in the sequence in which they are fitted. The only automated process is a robot that fits the bonded windscreen. The cars are therefore still handbuilt, something the Ferrari staff were keen to point out. The new assembly hall is very impressive and on route to it we drove past the engine assembly hall where there were a few rows of V8's destined for 430s visible, then past the hall where the 599 and 430 are built. The factory is very impressive and a lot larger than I had somehow envisaged it would be.

I'm sure there will be lots of pics of the California posted later today as people get home. I only had my camera phone and my pictures aren't worth wasting bandwidth on. There were three wheel styles on the half dozen or so static display cars. The standard 5 arm design we've seen, a a 5 star pentagram style like the 599 and some very tasty 20" wheels with a finish similar to Porsche's 997 turbo i.e. painted graphite inner rim and spokes with polished outer surface. The car looks taut and aggressive and nothing like a GranTurismo. It looks a lot smaller for starters though this may be an optical illusion. The front grill treatment does recall the more traditional Ferrari face when you see it. The finish of these pre-production cars looked superb with good paint, panel gaps, trim and leather work. The interior is very attractive IMO. The rear seats will be usable by children if someone of around 5'7" or so is in the front seats. Anyone taller than that will probably have their seat encroaching into the modest rear legroom. Hats off to Ferrari for putting them in though as they look to have more space width wise than a 911. It was hard to say this definitively due to the scrum around the cars. I managed to get in a passenger seat and was impressed by the interior layout. The design is new but still instantly says Ferrari to me. The centre bridge with the F1 buttons looks good and the satnav/infotainment unit actually looks decent. The colours on display were rosso/tan, a darker grey metallic/tan, the blue/crema car that's been seen on the net, nero/grey, and a dark solid blue which was a few shades lighter than navy and probably from the 50s/60s range. I personally thought that car looked awful due to the colour. Massa, Raikonen and Schumaker were there and drove the cars through the dining area. No worries on the sound of the V8

A spectacular fireworks display rounded off the evening in some style and I'm glad I went on the trip.

Have you seen the Mann's video in full version?

It's no 430 or probably the successor either. As Arny would say, "It's a girlie man car."

It certainly isn't a girlie man's car. That tag will quickly be put to rest I think when the car hits the street. The performance stats and tech on this car are impressive and it looks far more closely related to the 599 than the GranTurismo when you see it. It has more of a tensed, crouched for action stance rather than a heavy tail end look IMO.Michael Schumaker was waxing lyrical about his input into the handling and the chief engineer Roberto Fedeli was keen to get across the performance credentials and the many technological highlights on the car including the 4 mode DSG box - standard or sports mapping in either auto or manual paddleshift modes, the sub 4 second 0-62 sprint, the new magnetic dampers etc. This is no simple boulevard cruiser but a fairly potent GT car that has the ability to become a spyder in 15 seconds with the press of a switch. Most people I spoke to agreed it was a good looking car.

My friend was there and according to his impression(and mobile phone pics) California looks pretty good BUT, only with optional 20"(almost titanium in finish with five double spokes). 19" are way too small for this car... Another potentional problem is Red color(either Corsa or Scuderia)-California simply do not look right in RED(of course IMHO but, my friend agrees with me). Silver and Grey tons are most welcome...

good to know that the car is better than we predicted. now i have my hopes up for when i finally see in in the metal.

Looking forward to lots of pictures.

Red looks ok with a tan interior Kreso but it has to be Corsa and not Scuderia IMO. The brighter shade does not suit this car. The new F1 team metallic red would look Not sure if this will even be an option though. The 20" wheels are a must I agree. Ferrari have once again ensured more profit by making the standard wheels look too small and too boring.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Another potentional problem is Red color(either Corsa or Scuderia)-California simply do not look right in RED(of course IMHO but, my friend agrees with me). Silver and Grey tons are most welcome...

Pretty much the same with all their current front engined models with their long ,smoothed out front ends . 612s and 559s are not attractive in red either,imo.These body styles need med to dark metallics .

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    The 20" wheels are a must I agree. Ferrari have once again ensured more profit by making the standard wheels look too small and too boring.

They learned that easy profit strategy from Porsche .

Car was great..

Dinner too considering there were over 150 tables

Factory visit non existant

Felipe Massa is incredibly short...

Luca is the man....

California is very elegant looks best in blue imho....Many orders will be dropped though due to the price misinformation (initial speculation of AMV8 money)

However very disappointed with quality of guests.

will post pics tomorrow.. trip was exhausting

Quote:
    LB said:
    However very disappointed with quality of guests.

I agree with that. Some of the women looked like Russian hookers. On 2nd thoughts...... they probably were! They were certainly with a group of guys who looked liked they were major powder dealers I've never seen so many fashion label victims before nor such an interesting array of trophy wives/girlfriends with surgical enhancement. Thank goodness for the lovely Italian Ferrari hostess girls

I almost got trampled in the stampede to rush to the centre walkway when Kimi and Felipe drove the cars in. Money evidently does not buy good manners. And as for the rudeness displayed by some people when pushing, jostling and intimidating to get into the display cars.... I just gave up and wandered off to enjoy the fireworks.

ISUK what color table were you sitting at?

I definetly agree the hostesses and the italians saved the evening.

Giallo. I was next to the walkway about 4 or 5 tables in from the entrance door. MS was about 4 tables along from me and LDM was on the opposite side.

Quote:
    LB said:

I definetly agree the hostesses and the italians saved the evening.

The hostess on my coach looked like a young Sophia Loren

I have to say that the Italian work station guides in the assembly hall were great and a fantastic advert for Ferrari with their obvious enthusiasm for the new car and the company.

I was Bianco sitting exactly opposite of you. (second row though from walkway). behind a table of matching black suits, red pocket squares, and faux blonde ladies

Do you have a car on order and if so because the color thing is driving me crazy.

Were you staying in Parma by any chance.

My coach girl was nice but not as nice as the others in the factory.

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    It's no 430 or probably the successor either. As Arny would say, "It's a girlie man car."

Prefer it to the F430. Very nice car in person. Very elegant. I hope for the F430 successor to compete with the LP640.

LB,

I was staying in Bologna. The coach trip to the factory took an hour each way. I must confess I hadn't bothered to look at a map beforehand to see how close Bologna was to Maranello.

I've got a deposit down but have no idea when that will translate to a build slot. I'm not sure about colour either. I was drawn to the grey car with the tan interior and 20" wheels though. I share your opinion that the California is an elegant design particularly in darker colours. I'm glad to see Ferrari returning to this style of GT car after a very long absence from it's line up. It's not as beautiful as the GranTurismo IMO but has a more purposeful look. I really don't see it as an SL boulevard cruiser but I heard overheard some wannabe "macho" types saying they wouldn't cancel their orders but would give the car to their wives instead. Yeah, right

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    811235 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    451330 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    268717 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91525 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8340 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

890065 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    847258 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM