Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

4 Cylinder 911

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/coupes/porsche-may-be-forced-to-abandon-flat-six-for-flat-four/

Porsche may add four-cylinder engines to 911
    Posted on Tuesday 9 September 2008

For better or worse, the governmental and social concern with fuel efficiency is a real and serious consideration for the world's major carmakers. Porsche being increasingly numbered among them with is full line of vehicles and strong sales, it is beginning to consider how it might make concessions to improve emissions without gutting the performance of its vehicles. One idea near the top of the list is the inclusion of four-cylinder engines in its lineup.

A Porsche engineer has stated at an Australian press conference that Porsche is not averse to using four-cylinder engines, should the need arise. Thomas Krickelberg, Porsche's head of powertrain development, revealed that the six-cylinder engines found in the 911 had been designed so that they could have the number of their cylinders reduced if there was a "strong need to do it".

Addressing motoring press attending an Australian launch of the Porsche 911, Krickelberg cited "global warming and the need to reduce fuel consumption" as being the most likely motivating factors in any decision to reduce the number of cylinders in the famous Porsche flat-six.

Krickelberg noted that reducing the number of cylinders would be relatively easy, as the engine was designed to be versatile. He also commented on the necessity to produce socially responsible cars, as well as impending CO2-limiting legislation that could force Porsche to drastically change their current approach to engine technology. Already the German manufacturer is developing a hybrid Porsche Cayenne to placate customers who want to be seen as more socially responsible.

Porsche's legendary flat-six has provided the powerplant for several generations of the 911, but even Porsche may be forced to abandon its trademark engine in response to global events. A flat-four or four-cylinder boxer engine has been used successfully by Subaru in its Impreza and WRX among other vehicles. The WRX also uses a turbocharger to boost power. Presumably, Porsche could also follow this route, if the need arose, to reduce the number of cylinders in its cars but maintain similar power levels.

Re: 4 Cylinder 911

personally i don't think so.......and deep down in my heart i don't hope so.....this would be the end.

A revival of the 912 ? I believe it when I see it...

Quote:
    intouch1 said:
    He also commented on the necessity to produce socially responsible cars

What the hell is a "socially responsible car" Sounds like a Trabi to me

LOL. They meant "environmentally" responsible car, right?

_Socially_ responsible car..., hummmm..., interesting... .

How about a car with a flat screen on back where drivers can announce their "Opinion of the Day."

They may come up with something like that for Cayman or Boxster but for 911 I seriously doubt it.

Don't you think he meant: When cruising, the engine may operate only on 4 cylinders instead of 6...

By the way, this weekend I drove the new Golf VI in Iceland and I was astonished by VW's new 1.4l TFSI (122hp) engine coupled with the DSG 7 gears. It is full of torque, HP and extremely quiet. I didn't test drive the 170hp version (still 1.4l TFSI) but I'm sure it must be a great engine as well.

The new generation of downsized engines is really attractive.

As marketing guys are saying, the real challenge will be for clients to accept to buy a 7-Series or S-class with a 4 cyl 2.0l or 2.5l !!!!

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:

Quote:
    intouch1 said:

Good one! Perhaps socially responsible just means that it is not important whether your car is more "clean", just that your neighbors believe it is.

BTW, the comments comparing with Subaru are misleading... I drive a WRX STi, and though the turbo flat-4 does give me 997 quickness, it does not provide a mileage advantage over a flat-6... some physics of burning gas to create energy do not change.

How many cylinders is one thing, but far more is the volumetric efficiency of the engine... The only thing less cylinders often offers is less rotating mass and less friction... But there are many double-edge-swords involved from my limited understanding...

40-50 years we'll have alot of fun, or we'll just cry, in our nursing homes talking about Al Gore......

Um, wouldn't this be a 912?

I could imagine a Boxster/Cayman version with a 4 cylinder, but please not a 911.

The threat of another 70s/80s decade is real.

as long as it's faster than the current 911s who cares?!?!?!!

ps. we all love the weight to go down

Have you ever heard a nice sounding 4-banger..... that wasn't a motorcycle??

My symbolic protest would have to be a 12-cyl DB9.... (of course I'd have to find a clean used one, I'm not feeling froggy enough to write a check for a fresh unit! )

Quote:
    intouch1 said:
    http://www.motorauthority.com/news/coupes/porsche-may-be-forced-to-abandon-flat-six-for-flat-four/

Porsche may add four-cylinder engines to 911
    Posted on Tuesday 9 September 2008

For better or worse, the governmental and social concern with fuel efficiency is a real and serious consideration for the world's major carmakers. Porsche being increasingly numbered among them with is full line of vehicles and strong sales, it is beginning to consider how it might make concessions to improve emissions without gutting the performance of its vehicles. One idea near the top of the list is the inclusion of four-cylinder engines in its lineup.

A Porsche engineer has stated at an Australian press conference that Porsche is not averse to using four-cylinder engines, should the need arise. Thomas Krickelberg, Porsche's head of powertrain development, revealed that the six-cylinder engines found in the 911 had been designed so that they could have the number of their cylinders reduced if there was a "strong need to do it".

Addressing motoring press attending an Australian launch of the Porsche 911, Krickelberg cited "global warming and the need to reduce fuel consumption" as being the most likely motivating factors in any decision to reduce the number of cylinders in the famous Porsche flat-six.

Krickelberg noted that reducing the number of cylinders would be relatively easy, as the engine was designed to be versatile. He also commented on the necessity to produce socially responsible cars, as well as impending CO2-limiting legislation that could force Porsche to drastically change their current approach to engine technology. Already the German manufacturer is developing a hybrid Porsche Cayenne to placate customers who want to be seen as more socially responsible.

Porsche's legendary flat-six has provided the powerplant for several generations of the 911, but even Porsche may be forced to abandon its trademark engine in response to global events. A flat-four or four-cylinder boxer engine has been used successfully by Subaru in its Impreza and WRX among other vehicles. The WRX also uses a turbocharger to boost power. Presumably, Porsche could also follow this route, if the need arose, to reduce the number of cylinders in its cars but maintain similar power levels.

This article is garbage! Assuming that the available optional engines are equally efficient, then fuel consumption is decided by the weight of the car and the weight of the driver's right foot, but certainly not by the number of cylinders that car's engine has.

I suspect that the Porsche engineer was NOT thinking in terms of installing a four-cylinder boxer engine in the current 911 when he made those statements, but of developing a 4-cyl. engine for a completely new, lighter, more compact car. That really could lead to lower fuel consumption - if there is demand for such a car.

I consciously wrote "if there is demand for such a car" because we have found ourselves in our current situation a few times before. In the time it took manufacturers to react to the situation and develop and introduce even more fuel-efficient cars, the market had "normalized" again, so customers were buying performance, not economy.

I don't have a crystal ball so cannot know for sure that it will happen again this time. But I hope that, if Porsche should develop a smaller, lighter sports car which could be powered by a 4-cylinder engine, they will have the good sense to allow room in the engine bay to install an optional 6-cylinder engine!

Quote:
    intouch1 said:A Porsche engineer has stated at an Australian press conference that Porsche is not averse to using four-cylinder engines, should the need arise. Thomas Krickelberg, Porsche's head of powertrain development, revealed that the six-cylinder engines found in the 911 had been designed so that they could have the number of their cylinders reduced if there was a "strong need to do it".

This point went right over my head the first time I read it, but if the motor is modular in nature and can easily have 2 cylinders removed, then maybe it is just as easy to add 2 cylinders and make a Flat-8

Let them bring it!!! That way I will not have to buy a 911 ever again. It would make my future purchase decision much easier.

may be a 914-4

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    may be a 914-4

That looks pretty cool and an interesting competitor to the Lotus Elise. Hopefully weight would be competitive with the Elise, as I'm sure build quality would be superior...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    may be a 914-4

That looks pretty cool and an interesting competitor to the Lotus Elise. Hopefully weight would be competitive with the Elise, as I'm sure build quality would be superior...

This is quite old though! Still i'd be down with a small boxster!! As long as they don't put a VW badge on it

Stop it, you're starting to make the guys who bought their Porsches for exclusivity-1st to sweat-stain their silk shirts....

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:

Quote:
    intouch1 said:

The 123d is the greenest sporty car. According to DR, who tested it at the Ring, the 123d is lots of fun to drive and drift but of course lacks sound and power (although chipping to 250 bhp and 500 nM is easy). And it offers similar mpg to a Prius.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    811257 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    451337 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    268730 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91531 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8342 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

890079 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    847282 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM