Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: The Panamera is ugly...

Here is the initial conceptual drawing:

take a look at his, its a modified cayenne, but think about it as a preview, aside from the exagerated wheel arches this is pretty much the footprint of a panamera ... and lets just say that bad is an understatement (IMHO)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHizNSB85XE&feature=related

did a little more research and found the real deal. its called the rinspead chopster, rinspeed's interpretation of a cayenne. and guess what, the real deal is not that different, from the panamera now i can finally see the resemblance of the cayenne in the panamera.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/top-2005-Rinspeed-EDAG-Chopster.htm

I find it funny that many people say the Panamera test mules are ugly but yet people can't stop reading news relating to the car. The interest from the car is enormous, not only from the lovers but also from the haters. This must be the biggest marketing ship ever. On all sites I've visited the Panamera articles and threads attracts overwhelming viewers.

Quote:
    Emperor said:
    I find it funny that many people say the Panamera test mules are ugly but yet people can't stop reading news relating to the car. The interest from the car is enormous, not only from the lovers but also from the haters. This must be the biggest marketing ship ever. On all sites I've visited the Panamera articles and threads attracts overwhelming viewers.

No mystery, how often does porsche produce a new production model, average once a decade and first ever Sedan. Many, myself included were looking forward to this model with hope that porsche would be back on track to the position it had a generation ago.

But they seem to have not only failed but also pulled a bait and switch. Just look at their own drawing above, no way is the mule going to look like that. This is like sports and most of us are porsche fans, they seem to have just doinked the field goal post with no time on the clock. (american football)

Quote:
    Spyderidol said:
    Here is the initial conceptual drawing:

For me , it is quite obvious that once 'cocoon' is open , Panamera will look very much like this drawing - even better !!

Then take the coke bottles off. j/k

Do some measurements and proportions measure ground to window sill then window sill to roof, make fractional proportions and compare to mule, do the same with wheels to body height and 3rd overall height to overall length.

NOT EVEN CLOSE

many here have already said they feel that drawing was impractical like the rapide.

racerx is right. What we were given in the design drawing has morphed into the car shown below it based upon packaging constraints. The glasshouse is much higher and the curve flowing along the front wing that then dipped down along the side windows before rising on the rear door has gone. In it's place has come a fairly straight line. Those two elements take away the spirit of the original sketch completely. The sleekness of the original has been lost to a tail heavy design.

You guys are forgetting that drawings are always dramatic and exaggerated versions of the real product.

Quote:
    Emperor said:
    You guys are forgetting that drawings are always dramatic and exaggerated versions of the real product.

I. M. Pei, you're not.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Quote:
    Emperor said:

I. M. Pei, you're not.

racerx are you an architect??

Quote:
    Emperor said:

I don't think we are the ones forgetting this You seem to be patronising some of us who've been around the block a few times. It's not exactly a revelation that the original sketch does not resemble the end product

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Interesting article

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/04/if-the-panamera-succeeds-perhaps-the-bugatti-eb112-will-too/

the author thanked a mike s for the tip.

The bugatti looks like the final product - horrible.

Quote:
    Enmanuel said:
    Quote:
    racerx said:
    Quote:
    Emperor said:

I. M. Pei, you're not.

Original college major and i am designing my own house right now, but no i am not an architect. Lousy business.

You guys are funny...

A car perfectly based on he original drawing would have never made it into reality, not even as a concept car. Some of you even complained about the Fisker's proportions and they are quite mundane in comparison.

It is indeed right that Porsche, from a design perspective, intended to create a sleeker shape, however this collided with packaging demands.

End of comment.

Well bmw succeeded with a sleek design, they also are winning imo in the SUV space, but no argument holds up as to why porsche could not produce the design that THEY released.

People in this market niche do not have huge numbers of kids to shove in the back. I get into and out of a car that is probably 2 inches lower than the rapide.

This is better

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Well bmw succeeded with a sleek design, they also are winning imo in the SUV space, but no argument holds up as to why porsche could not produce the design that THEY released.

People in this market niche do not have huge numbers of kids to shove in the back. I get into and out of a car that is probably 2 inches lower than the rapide.

This is better

racerx, BMW and the rest produce many 4-door and SUV models so they can afford to experiment with shapes like the impractical X6 or perhaps the car in the picture above.

If Porsche are to produce a single 4-door sedan model, then it must fulfill all practicality criteria and for a larger variety of potential buyers, even at the expense of some sleekness.

you did not read my second paragraph, porsche is not ford, they are a small number niche producer, the X6 is not impractical for the same reason.

Career oriented folks at most average 2 kids, that's who is buying these not the brady bunch.

So much PC on this thread, face it, they have failed on this effort.

These vehicles are the metal equivalent of haute couture, not levi's.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    you did not read my second paragraph, porsche is not ford, they are a small number niche producer, the X6 is not impractical for the same reason.

Career oriented folks at most average 2 kids, that's who is buying these not the brady bunch.

So much PC on this thread, face it, they have failed on this effort.

These vehicles are the metal equivalent of haute couture, not levi's.

You might be right and I might be wrong!

But nevertheless the shape is a matter of subjective taste.
    Let us wait a few more months and see what happens in the marketplace because there is the true test of any idea or design.

Beside this 3 indicative points , why on every pics. driver and co-driver always look like seating on the floor ?! Panamera is smaller and sleeker than this mule/cocoon .

Funny. I thought like that many years ago when I saw the Cayenne mules. Can't be that much headroom, I thought. There had to be a sleek coupe SUV under that tank, I thought.

Nope, did not happen.

Quote:
    racerx said:

This is better

..........but it's a concept car.

I think you should go look at some pics of the Cayenne from similar angles. The same bulk is there as well...

I originally thought those doors were really wide but lately I'm not even close to convinced they're putting sheep's clothing on a wolf :P

Quote:
    kfractal said:
    I think you should go look at some pics of the Cayenne from similar angles. The same bulk is there as well...

I originally thought those doors were really wide but lately I'm not even close to convinced they're putting sheep's clothing on a wolf :P

OK , here Cayenne turbo S + next generation Cayenne + 997.2 and none has 20 cm + B pillar thickness or 10 cm + ceiling padding ! ? (N.B. Cayenne is proper offroader that requires very stiff body)

Quote:
    racerx said:

Quote:
    Enmanuel said:
    Quote:
    racerx said:
    Quote:
    Emperor said:

I. M. Pei, you're not.

Original college major and i am designing my own house right now, but no i am not an architect. Lousy business.

hey hey !! thats my major !!

Interesting discussion....

I had given up hope on the panamera when I first saw the spy pics, it looked disastrous.

However the recent FEP pics with minimal camo are showing that I could be wrong. I am looking forward to the official unveiling. I think its a bit early to be judging looks.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    810974 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    451275 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    268634 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91502 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

889989 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    847083 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM