Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Acura LMP2 wins at Detroit American Le Mans

Acura scored overall win with all three podium spots at American Lemans Race in Detrot today. This is despite Penske replacing Sascha Massen with Ryan Briscoe.This is the second race where the RS Spyders struggled against the Acura LMP2 cars. One wonders whether Porsche is focusing on devlopment of LMP1 car for next year versus enhancing the current RS Spyder.

Re: Acura LMP2 wins at Detroit American Le Mans

They only scored the first two spots overall, Audi got third overall. Acura only won because the 7 Penske car had a run in with the lizards GT2 car. Porsche is not struggling , just been having bad luck this year. They still lead the drivers and team championships, but Acura now leads the manufactures by 4 points. I feel Porsche will win the last two race and all the championship! I pray they announce at petit Lemans that they too will enter LMP1!!!!!

As I have posted before, there are some rumors (from usually well informed sources) that Porsche are currently testing their LMP1.
    The interesting thing is that Sascha Massen was the development driver for the RS Spyder, so could his replacement by Briscoe (at this time) be due to his "commitment" to test the LMP1? (if it exists).
    Porsche (Penske) claim that they wanted to give Briscoe some seat time before Petit Le Mans, but it doesn't look as if he needs it.
    Also - Some time ago I remember reading an interview with Dumas , where he said that it was very important to gain as many points at the beginning of this season, because they (Porsche) would have a much harder time after Le Mans.
    What was behind that statement? How could he know that the Acuras would be much closer, unless he knew that Porsche would be turning their development efforts to a LMP1 rather than the Spyders. (Incidentally - the ACO use Le Mans to announce regulation changes for the following year(s).
    Finally, there is also a rumor that Penske will definitely be back next year.

Quote:
    Spyderidol said:...
    Also - Some time ago I remember reading an interview with Dumas , where he said that it was very important to gain as many points at the beginning of this season, because they (Porsche) would have a much harder time after Le Mans.
    What was behind that statement? How could he know that the Acuras would be much closer, unless he knew that Porsche would be turning their development efforts to a LMP1 rather than the Spyders.

How many changes does Porsche offer during an ALMS season? This year they had a mid-year DFI engine change, but they are not going to make significant technical changes from race to race, do they?

Major engine changes (like the DFI engine) are very few and far between, but development of the car is ongoing. There are always small changes to the car from race to race.
    The competitive lifespan of a modern prototype is generally about 3 years.(as a general rule)

Latest Rumor - No Penske Porsches for 09.

dont mean to burst your bubble, but Acura has confirmed a 2009 lmp1 entry, so your logic that porsche is focusing less on lmp2 becouse of rummored lmp1, is no excuse for losing to a honda witch is doing the same

Quote:
    arakis said:
    dont mean to burst your bubble, but Acura has confirmed a 2009 lmp1 entry, so your logic that porsche is focusing less on lmp2 becouse of rummored lmp1, is no excuse for losing to a honda witch is doing the same

Yesterday, the leading Spyder driven by championship leader Bernhard was delayed by a stop-go penalty for colliding with a GT2 Porsche, although it was the GT2 driver who was to blame.
    In the previous race Bernhard was only classified 6th because his car ran out of fuel and didn't finish the race!
    So it is not competitiveness that is to blame.

Anyway this makes the series more interesting!

I don't mean to burst yours, but who mentioned anything about "excuses"?

Spideridol, do you know when Porsche will announce there motorsports program for 2009? Also how when did you hear that there will be no penske porsches for 09'? You think the dyson rs spyders will still be racing against the lmp2 Acuras? Im just dying to find out if Porsche will enter LMP1! I know you wont tell , but whos your source for news, someone from Porsche Motorsport perhaps? Keep us updated. I remember Tim Cindric from Penske said on the wind Tunnel show with Dave the Spade that Porsche will hold a meeing to let Penske know about there plans for 2009. So if your latest rumors say no Penske for 2009 then does that mean either no lmp2 for penske, or Porsche lmp1 factory, or no Prototype for Porsche at all?

September is traditionally the month that Porsche announces it's motorsport plans for the coming season, so I'll be on the lookout.
    The rumors (and they are just that at the moment) that there will be no Penske Porsches for 2009 have been circulating for the last couple of months.
    Apparently (according to the rumors) Dyson will continue to race a Spyder and possibly a Lola Coupe. (I have a hard time believing that one). The same rumor says that there is a possibility that Dyson will take over as the #1 Factory supported private team. (I also have a hard time with this rumor).
    I (like you) hope that all this means no LMP2 for Penske, but does not mean no Porsche prototype for Penske, however, the gist of the latest rumors don't seem too positive.
    Remember though, this is all rumor right mow.
    Last year there were many rumors around this time, saying that Penske was out and they came back, so lets wait and see.

Also - The argument for there not being a Penske LMP2 in 09 is that as Porsche have only sold 7 of the 13 Spyder chassis available, and with no other potential customers in sight, there is no longer a need to fund a factory supported team (Penske) in order to market the cars. (Porsche is also suspending further production)

Take what you want from this.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    arakis said:

Yesterday, the leading Spyder driven by championship leader Bernhard was delayed by a stop-go penalty for colliding with a GT2 Porsche, although it was the GT2 driver who was to blame.
    In the previous race Bernhard was only classified 6th because his car ran out of fuel and didn't finish the race!

and where were the other 3 spyders? is only bernard racing porsches? and the lmp2 was to blame, becouse it was avoidable contact, lmp2 is much faster then gt2, and it can overtake the gt2 wherever and how ever it wants, bernard just didnt want to lose any time, so he took a chance with a risky manover and hit the leading gt2 car in the process

Quote:
    arakis said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    arakis said:

and where were the other 3 spyders? is only bernard racing porsches? and the lmp2 was to blame, becouse it was avoidable contact, lmp2 is much faster then gt2, and it can overtake the gt2 wherever and how ever it wants, bernard just didnt want to lose any time, so he took a chance with a risky manover and hit the leading gt2 car in the process

The other Spyders were P5-P7. The strong Porsche team has always been Penske, Dyson have never been top performers and out of the Penske the top car has always been the Bernhard one. So Bernhard is the one to watch.

In any event the Spyders are now in their third full year of racing and they have completed their cycle as racing cars IMO. I still expect them to win LMP2 this year which will be an achievement against a newer car.

The GT2 driver admitted blame for the incident but obviously the officials thought otherwise.

Yes Van Overbeek admitted it was his fault.
    He let through the Acura but did not see the Spyder and closed the door on the #6.
    Also- the #6 Spyder was on fresher tires than the Acura and was quicker at the time.

My thoughts are that Penske will be back with Porsche's LMP1 cars next year and Dyson will run in LMP2 against the Acuras.

Latest rumor is Engine suplier for Irl,when the rules hange alowing turbos again, anyway her is the link i got the rumor from http://translate.google.de/translate?u=h...sl=de&tl=en

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    812903 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    452869 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    272952 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91996 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    9230 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

891390 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    850308 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM