Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Future supercars tidbits

What I heard so far :

Lambo's Murcielago successor will have 6.0L V-Twelve version of LP560's engine developing 700 bhp. Carbon body panels except roof and doors from aluminium. Gallardo's successor will retain the 5.5L engine uprated to 600 bhp. This time it will have scissor doors as Lambo is moving away from sharing parts with parent audi (marketing reason for Gallardo's normal doors is that scissors reserved for V-Twelve models only, true reason is because Gallardo was to make way for the R8 and scissors = extra cost). New awd and e-gear, Lambo is not going the dual clutch route (I guess it's to preserve the 'jerkiness' tradition? Lambo's supposed to be wild and all).

Ferrari's going to use 7-speed dual-clutch for F430's successor with twin-turbo direct-injection 3.5L developing 550 bhp. Car will have carbon body on vluminium subframes and will be lighter than LP560 so it should be faster, Ferrari's only problem is how to change the horsepower-war-mindset of people, who thinks more hp and bigger engine is always better). F70 is to have twin-turbo 4.4L V-Twelve developing at least 750 bhp.

aston martin will have access to Mercedes' 6.2L engine (confirmed by recent report) and its turbo variant, also twin-turbo variants of Merc's upcoming 5.0L and 4.5L V8 (to be replacing the thirsty 6.2L and other old V-Twelve engines currently in the lineup). In return, Maybach will have access to aston's aluminium platforms, and both will share developments for future models. Maybach will have new 2-seater range-topping coupe based on aston's next range-topping 2-seater coupe, and new 2+2 coupe based on aston's DB9 successor. Further into the future, Maybach will have 4-door coupe based on the Rapide (or its successor, depending on when the project starts). aston's small V8 models will not be used for sharing as it is below Maybach's class.

Re: Future supercars tidbits

Interesting. Ferrari is going to have trouble changing the mindset indeed. People buy these cars for big d*ck bragging rights as to how much power is under the hood (or trunk)

Yeah but Porsche has been doing it for years and we are still buying them.

small but key pieces of info on, well... everyone.
    Thanks for sharing Shin, keep the updates coming.

I heard the same rumour about the F430-successor. If true, that would be great news. CF-body with biturbo-V8 would make my dreams come true.

Shin, what do you think how accurate is your info?

I hope the same for 430 successor.
    I just hope that besides all this the do keep the high revs and not drop it down...

Well, revs will go down. CF body will be very, very difficult for repair...

Bi-turbo V8 - Ferrari already used that on those of it's most famous supercars (at least to me - my dream cars as a kid) anyway so why would it matter about the revs now if it didn't back then? I am refering to F40 and 288GTO btw.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Well, revs will go down. CF body will be very, very difficult for repair...

Well, just don't crash it.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    I heard the same rumour about the F430-successor. If true, that would be great news. CF-body with biturbo-V8 would make my dreams come true.

Shin, what do you think how accurate is your info?

I do not think anyone can guarantee anything, but if you think about it, how else they're going to make it that lighter without resorting to Scuderia's stripping-of-everything method? Sure the car will be smaller but not that smaller, and add the fact that they're going to have to put more airbags onboard (to keep up with both the competition, and, regulations).

The only I see is to replace aluminium with CF.

The Scuderia has intensively use CF for its interior, it's only logical to extend it to the exteriors.

Yes CF is hard to repair, but firstly, the 430's successor will not be produced as many as 360/430s. There is the Cali now. Secondly, it will justify the price increase, which will be significant, and bring it more in line with the competition (above the LP560, below the next big Lambo).

The Cali was rumored to cost 30% lower than the 430 but it turns out not to be the case, it will now be priced about the same. This F430's true successor is now rumored to cost fifteen percent more - which I'm sure will not be the case as well. I think it will be priced very close to the 599 - at least much closer to the 599 than the Cali.

But styling-wise, I'm nervous. The Cali costs about a half more than an amv8 but the aston is a half better looking.

I'm taking into comfort the thought that no one could really mess the design of a mid-engined car (even Porsche's Harm Lagaay, with his -err, very restrained- Cayenne, struck gold with the Carrera GT).

But being good enough may not be good enough. after the Reventon and the LP560, I think the next Lambo will wet my pants - literally. LOL

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Well, revs will go down.

Yep, unless Ferrari could do some magic engineering.

Btw, I've always thought : Ferraris scream, Lambos roar.

With future Lambos being normally aspirated, it will be the other way around, Lol.

Btw Kreso, is Lambo coming with a V8 Gallardo - or never will ?

Quote:
    shin said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Well, revs will go down.

Yep, unless Ferrari could do some magic engineering.

Btw, I've always thought : Ferraris scream, Lambos roar.

With future Lambos being normally aspirated, it will be the other way around, Lol.

Btw Kreso, is Lambo coming with a V8 Gallardo - or never will ?

V8 Gallardo? Maybe in next generation... As you can see recently all attention is at R8 new versions. First is R8 V10, then R8 Spider with both engines.

Quote:
    janus said:
    I hope the same for 430 successor.
    I just hope that besides all this the do keep the high revs and not drop it down...

If turbo'd, revs will go down.
    There's no need for all the revs since the turbo provides power boost.

Quote:
    shin said:
    But styling-wise, I'm nervous. The Cali costs about a half more than an amv8 but the aston is a half better looking.

I'd even say the AM looks at least twice as good as this California.

I'm very concerned about Ferrari's design in the last couple of years. Last great design was the 355. 612 is impressive, but not very elegant, 430 is the attempt to give back some aggressiveness to the rather bland 360, without leading to a coherent design, 599 is technically a work of art but I find it's design boring and California looks strange from every angle - at least from pics.
    Have to wait to make my final judgement about the California until I've seen it in flesh, but so far I'm disappointed and it really isn't my type of car.

Let's hope the best for the F430 successor, I really hope Ferrari gets it right (again) this time.

Thanks a lot for the insight especially the info about Mercedes collaborating with AM.

Thanks shin! It's a great piece of info.
    Really looking forward to the NEW Gallardo!!!
    I hope it will be ready to launch in 2010 and I can keep my AM for 2 years.

Quote:
    Chris Lo said:

No way the "next" Gallardo will be launched in 2010. This new second generation car (LP560-4) was just introduced; and, it is officially a model year 2009 !! So why would they intro a replacement for what is essentially the "new" model, after only one year ?

Quote:
    blade said:
    Quote:
    Chris Lo said:

No way the "next" Gallardo will be launched in 2010. This new second generation car (LP560-4) was just introduced; and, it is officially a model year 2009 !! So why would they intro a replacement for what is essentially the "new" model, after only one year ?

If the replacement would be released in 2010 it would be a 2011 model. That makes it two years. Either way 2010 is too early. Late 2011 is the earliest we'll see a replacement.

Why would they need twin turbo for 25 more hp (the Scud already has 525)?

Regarding styling I agree that the latest models have not been sexy or had the WOW factor. The 599 does absolutely nothing for me. The California is OK, nothing more. To be honest, but for the Ferrari badge I won't give it a second look.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Because the engine is a smaller 3.5L V8 (or 3.6L) and not the currenct 4.3L, Nick..

Quote:
    nberry said:

Regarding styling I agree that the latest models have not been sexy or had the WOW factor. The 599 does absolutely nothing for me. The California is OK, nothing more. To be honest, but for the Ferrari badge I won't give it a second look.

Scuderia has 510 hp BTW, so 550 hp would make a 40 hp difference. Agree absolutely about Ferrari's latest design, so I guess you won't get a California then?

Furthermore a twinturbo engine will have advantages concering consumption and emission, I think.

This confuses me, on emissions, maybe a turbo engine does better, but with a similar power output, turbos don't seem to add very much, how much worse is the mileage from a Z06 with ~500HP to a GT2? Not much, at all. I am under the impressoin that output=fuel economy with similar gearing.

Smaller engine + less weight. Better fuel economy

Quote:
    bostonmini said:
    This confuses me, on emissions, maybe a turbo engine does better, but with a similar power output, turbos don't seem to add very much, how much worse is the mileage from a Z06 with ~500HP to a GT2? Not much, at all. I am under the impressoin that output=fuel economy with similar gearing.

The Z06 only gets good mileage thanks to its incredibly long 6th gear. Take it inside a european city and watch the mpg go down.

Incidentally, I realize they will focus on power to weight ratio, but wont this hurt acceleration figures once drag etc take effect? a lotus elise has a very good p/w ratio, but is quite slow past 100 MPH.

Quote:
    bostonmini said:
    Incidentally, I realize they will focus on power to weight ratio, but wont this hurt acceleration figures once drag etc take effect? a lotus elise has a very good p/w ratio, but is quite slow past 100 MPH.

I guess the 500+ horsepower would help, compared to the fifty or so for the Elise (just kidding, Lotus diehards )

Quote:
    shin said:
    aston martin will have access to Mercedes' 6.2L engine (confirmed by recent report) and its turbo variant, also twin-turbo variants of Merc's upcoming 5.0L and 4.5L V8 (to be replacing the thirsty 6.2L and other old V-Twelve engines currently in the lineup). In return, Maybach will have access to aston's aluminium platforms, and both will share developments for future models. Maybach will have new 2-seater range-topping coupe based on aston's next range-topping 2-seater coupe, and new 2+2 coupe based on aston's DB9 successor. Further into the future, Maybach will have 4-door coupe based on the Rapide (or its successor, depending on when the project starts). aston's small V8 models will not be used for sharing as it is below Maybach's class.

An Aston with Mercedes engine?!?!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776802 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441558 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262695 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260838 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85111 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5516 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880552 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815695 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM