Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: BMW X6 vs. Porsche Cayenne GTS on the Ring

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    Emperor said:
    True. It's very much a image/style type of vehicle like the CLS. If you don't have any kids and there is absolutely no reason not to buy an X6 over a Cayenne. The X6 is highly gorgeous in the metal as well. BMW has indeed created a highly desirable car.

I wonder if any other makes will follow in this type of SUV concept, maybe mercedes since they already have several SUV type versions

Honda/Acura has something in the works that will be uncovered by the beginning of next year.

The next Cayenne will most likely be less capable off roader than the current generation. It will make the car more of a road warrior which suits the Porsche image much better.

Quote:
    Emperor said:
    ........ If you don't have any kids and there is absolutely no reason not to buy an X6 over a Cayenne. The X6 is highly gorgeous in the metal as well. BMW has indeed created a highly desirable car.

Hi Emperor,

Even without kids the X6 doesn't come close on my wishlist for getting a new car. Did you actually drive it? It is a nice car don't get me wrong but it is weird, it is not a luxury saloon and not a 4x4 either. It's like an MPV but you cannot take people with you . I test drove the X50 and again it is a nice car but nothing sparked me to take it home (having had BMW my whole live) I have a similar experience with the new X5 4.8i (E70) not sure what BMW is trying to achieve as every sportiness is taken out (compare to the old E53 model)

Quote:
    Markdsv said:
    Quote:
    Emperor said:
    ........ If you don't have any kids and there is absolutely no reason not to buy an X6 over a Cayenne. The X6 is highly gorgeous in the metal as well. BMW has indeed created a highly desirable car.

Hi Emperor,

Even without kids the X6 doesn't come close on my wishlist for getting a new car. Did you actually drive it? It is a nice car don't get me wrong but it is weird, it is not a luxury saloon and not a 4x4 either. It's like an MPV but you cannot take people with you . I test drove the X50 and again it is a nice car but nothing sparked me to take it home (having had BMW my whole live) I have a similar experience with the new X5 4.8i (E70) not sure what BMW is trying to achieve as every sportiness is taken out (compare to the old E53 model)

Yes I drove it, for close to 30 minutes and even got to push it on high ways. You keep bringing it the X5 but it doesn't apply here. The X6 is a completely different animal and doesn't feel like any SUV I've driven before. Both share platform but are engineered in completely different ways.

I know what you mean. On paper I thought the car was useless as well. It weighs over 2 tons, can only take 4 people. How the hell can it be sportier than a standard SUV. Mark my words, driving it you will fully approve of the car, it's really terrific. Unbelievable nimble, the car makes you shake your head in confusion over how it can feel so agile and light when it's appears to be a standard SUV on paper. Bare in mind that I'm not a hardcore Porsche and Mercedes fan.

If the X5 didn't spark you you then the X6 will do more than that. As Cayenne Turbo owner you are exactly the type of guy that should give it a test drive. Do so and post a review here

Hi Emperor,

Good discussion. I actually had the X6 4.4 twin turbo for a test drive and this is were I come from with my experiences. Yes indeed it is a nice car and I obviously am spoiled with my CTT. I am just struggling with the concept of the X6 At the moment I am thinking about the new turbo S which is coming out on the 14th of September in Oman. So no X6 on my wishlist for the moment.

Quote:
    Markdsv said:
    Hi Emperor,

Good discussion. I actually had the X6 4.4 twin turbo for a test drive and this is were I come from with my experiences. Yes indeed it is a nice car and I obviously am spoiled with my CTT. I am just struggling with the concept of the X6 At the moment I am thinking about the new turbo S which is coming out on the 14th of September in Oman. So no X6 on my wishlist for the moment.

Oh you you've tried it out. As for as handling and steering feel goes, what were the differences between it and your Cayenne? I'm eager to see what the up and coming X6-M will be able to do.

Quote:
    Emperor said:
    Quote:
    Markdsv said:
    Hi Emperor,

Oh you you've tried it out. As for as handling and steering feel goes, what were the differences between it and your Cayenne? I'm eager to see what the up and coming X6-M will be able to do.

Hi Emperor,

Indeed I had the X6 4.4 twin turbo for a couple of hrs. The drive, power and feel of the car is nice. It is very smooth and has the usual BMW features you will find in the new 5 & 7 series and X5 (E70). However I found it a UN inspiring drive, you don't have the feel you are in a 4x4 (good sometimes) but you don't have the feel that you are in a saloon either. It is in between what I don't like. You cannot do anything with the suspension, it's a hybrid between saloon and SUV, this concept confuses the h..l out of me. Too small to lug things around as well and I still need to get used to the shape and limited view from the rear window.

Do I want to compare it with the CTT, no absolutely not. First of all the power and shear grunt of the CTT is something the X6 doesn't have, even though the X6 has twin turbos. I can say though that the technology (satnav, air, bluetooth etc) is better on the X6 and Porsche is basically years behind. But still the luxury feel of the Porsche (alcantara, leather etc) is not matched by the X6.

OK, if BMW is going to make the X6 (hopefully the X5 as well) more sportier than the balance is going to shift. I have also had an M5 which is a beast of a car and if they manage to get the V10 or other power plant in the X6 plus the shear tactile driving experiences it will definitely be a winner

Speak later,

Cheers,

mark

The Cayenne is a real SUV, the X6 is "wanna be SUV", I suggest these guys makes a new test off-road.

...one more useful page...

OZRacing

Wish my german was better...........

What has the world come to, when they are comparing two SUVs on the nurburgring.

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    What has the world come to, when they are comparing two SUVs on the nurburgring.

I agree

Quote:
    Moogle said:

Blame those who buy SUVs and never take them off road. That's how it all started.

dont know how ppl can say the X6 is ugly when the cayenne is just as bad if not worse. BMW are possibly planning a M version which would be a MATCH for the turbo. Doesnt suprise me the X6 is better than the GTS, X6 is quite brilliant

Quote:
    m3asd said:
    dont know how ppl ....... X6 is quite brilliant

Your in the wrong forum my friend !!!!

X6 better than the GTS, yeah yeah in your dreams

Quote:
    Italo said:

Have you ever driven both cars?

AM

Quote:
    Markdsv said:
    Quote:
    m3asd said:
    dont know how ppl ....... X6 is quite brilliant

Your in the wrong forum my friend !!!!

This is an open forum!

AM

Quote:
    ALDO said:
    Quote:
    Italo said:

AM

I've driven both cars and I could surely tell you that the GTS will eat the X6 for lunch even the 5.0 litre version

Lol, i find it quite hillarios that cayenne owners find the X6 to be butt ugly

Quote:
    Italo said:
    Quote:
    ALDO said:
    Quote:
    Italo said:

AM

I've driven both cars and I could surely tell you that the GTS will eat the X6 for lunch even the 5.0 litre version

I have owned a CTT and have test driven the X6 and the GTS. My personal opinion is that the X6 is far the better car. It handles better and has better ride comfort. The automatic tranny of the Cayenne is the worst thing you get right now on the market. Speaking about ugly and beautiful is very personal. The quality, especially interior is much better in the X6.

AM

ALDO seems you have an open mind...unlike some ppl on here.

For a critical review read EVO magazine which loves the cayenne turbo but rates X6 to be the better 4x4 on/off roader!

Quote:
    m3asd said:

For a critical review read EVO magazine which loves the cayenne turbo but rates X6 to be the better 4x4 on/off roader!

I am driving my 6th Porsche, but I am not blind. If something is better - it is better!

AM

Quote:
    m3asd said:

+1. Its always great to get an unbiased opinion based on first hand experience.

Quote:
    ALDO said:
    Quote:
    m3asd said:

I am driving my 6th Porsche, but I am not blind. If something is better - it is better!

AM

IMO opinion the cayenne is a proper off-roader. I have driven it in places that only a Mitsubishi Pajero could go and where other Lux SUVs faltered. These abilities definitely compromise on road handling not greatly in the case of cayenne, but enough to lose points to elevated saloons with 4x4, like the X6.

IMO with the new cayenne, Porsche should make the off road hardware like the transfer box for the low gears an optional extra and provide an on road cayenne with different suspension settings and geometries exclusively for the road, snow and mild off road places.
    Then, someone, of the 2% that drive their Lux SUVs really off road can specify the offroad pack and get the on/off road compromise.

I am with you. No one of the actual luxus SUV can drive offroad with the street tires. So we need 4x4 but with a street setup. For offroad use you can buy a Pajero.

AM

Quote:
    ALDO said:
    Quote:
    m3asd said:

AM

Hi AM,

I have a CTT and had a test drive (one day) in the X6 4.8TT and although I respect your opinion my opinion is that the X6 is a nice drive however doesn't come close to the CTT all round performance. Cayenne is not an Oil painting indeed but the X6 radical styling is neither .

Cheers,

Mark

Quote:
    Markdsv said:
    Cayenne is not an Oil painting indeed but the X6 radical styling is neither .

Cheers,

Mark

maybe it is hard to create an overall accepted styling for this kind of cars

AM

Quote:
    ALDO said:
    Quote:
    Markdsv said:
    Cayenne is not an Oil painting indeed but the X6 radical styling is neither .

Cheers,

Mark

maybe it is hard to create an overall accepted styling for this kind of cars

AM

Hi AM,

Fully agree, not an easy task to please the audience (always something to complain and opinions are there to be heard of course )

Cheers,

Mark

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777336 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441734 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262796 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260977 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85249 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5584 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880662 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816002 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM