Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 C2 and S (PDK) test drive this Sat - my views

Hi,

Thought you might all like hear my views from tests (quite briefly) of both a C2 and C2S this weekend. Both with PDK and both were cabs (although I'm not really into soft tops personally).

They both are, undoubtedly great cars. The engine is definitely more urgent, sounding a bit more "Ferrari-esque" (Nick will like that) with a more slightly more highly strung / revvy feel (and of course more power) and I really liked the traditional suspension on the non-S version. I think they might have ironed out some of the PASM issues on the C2S, too but I still seem to get just a bit more steering and seat of the pants feel on the non-S. Could just be my imagination...

The PDK is completely seamless - no jerkiness at all, and I can see that you could get much better 0-60 times from PDK than manual. Very impressive.

However...

Overall the cars seemed *very* similar indeed to the previous half generation and if anything (sorry Porsche) slightly more "plasticky" in their finish. The PDK changer is semi-metallic with a solid feel, but the trim (particularly the non-S) seems just a bit cheaper than in mine. I'm very picky about this kind of thing, so again it may not even be noticeable to others.

I really don't like the steering wheel buttons for PDK changes. Somehow, even though I have only rarely used paddle shifters, they seem much more natural than the buttons, especially when you are changing gear with the wheel turned hard for some reason.

For this reason alone I would stay with a manual. Also there's something very pure about the driving experience when operating the notchy-but-smooth P-car box that I would miss with the PDK, especially when changing down.

Of course the electronics look a lot better - nicer buttons, nicer layout, proper 3D view which helps and I was told that the "lag" which I at least sometimes annoyingly get with the Nav System (like telling me to take a turn off a roundabout just too late) is pretty much gone, although I didn't test it.

Finally, Porsche have made what might seem like an insubstantial error, but for me it badly damaged the image of the car: the wing mirrors seem MASSIVE. Like dumbo ears, they just don't fit with the rest of the car and make me feel more as though I am driving some chunky saloon rather than a high performance sports car. Since the 997 original has great rear visibility anyway I can't imagine it was mandated by the Eurocrats, so I'm not sure where this came from. This is a big issue for me as you have these things in your view all the time, I'm very into the aesthetics of owning these beautiful creations and as I said they just don't seem to fit with the rest of the car. Porsche might argue they were putting a more 993 feel into the mirrors which indeed have similar proportions, but I think these are much bigger.

So in conclusion a bit of a mixed bag to be honest. I like the engine (with a manual I think I could really get to like it), and with the extra power of the non-S version I could even imagine stepping down. But I don't think I will go for the facelift: the original somehow seems more integrated and the facelift a bit more like a mixture of additions, some of which work, others which don't.

The P-Car guys (in Porsche W London) were trying hard-ish to get me to go for the facelift, but I don't think I'll go for it.

By the way they were offering me mid-40 ks (GBP) trade in value for mine (Oct/Nov 2005), which seems a bit low, so I might just keep mine or sell and hoard cash for a while until our self generated little "perfect" financial storm blows over...

Hope this bunch of fairly random reflections is useful - feedback welcome, including disagreements!

Best SoS.

Re: 997 C2 and S (PDK) test drive this Sat - my vi

Quote:
    SonOfStig said:... the wing mirrors seem MASSIVE. Like dumbo ears, they just don't fit with the rest of the car and make me feel more as though I am driving some chunky saloon rather than a high performance sports car. Since the 997 original has great rear visibility anyway I can't imagine it was mandated by the Eurocrats

I bet this is a EU mandate, and I predict the future will bring more of this nonsense. The idiotic power those Eurocrats hold is even worse than what we experience in the US from our regulatory agencies - the bad thing is that we end up having to live with those too. Their "pedestrian" regs destroyed front-engined cars like sedans. Just nuts.

this is a EU mandate indeed. What an [beep] that has decided this, he must be Belgian.

Like mentioned by the two previous post authors, large wing mirrors will be seen on every single new car hitting the market, just look at the Audi Q7. Porsche didn't increase the side of the wing mirrors by choice.

As for PDK, it's very fast and seamless but should not be seen as a substitute for manual since there's nothing like operating the clutch and changing gear using your own feet and hands. Instead PDK should be seen as a replacement for Tiptronic which is exactly what it is. But in some places PDK will be very welcomed by drivers. Especially in areas like SoCal where it's agonizing to drive a manual because of insane congestion. Many people who appreciate a manual gearbox but opted for Tiptronic in the past will appreciate PDK since it offers best of both worlds. Although I have to say that the use of buttons is severely messed up.

It wouldn't surprise me if Porsche responds to feedback by offering paddles as an option for the 2010 models.

Quote:
    987_Belgium said:
    this is a EU mandate indeed. What an [beep] that has decided this, he must be Belgian.

a flemish one ?

Quote:
    987_Belgium said:

The nationality of that twerp does not matter. The citizenry should rise up, fire the eurocrats and let the market decide what's best.

Those Eurocrats hold power with gusto, as in their small brains that's all they are going to hold.

i know, but when it comes to everything envolved in driving trafic and cars, i thing we must have the most dumb government in Europe.

A few weeks ago I saw the ex minister of trafic of Belgium, using his mobile phone behind his steering wheel, while it was him who invented the law in the first place. Says a lot don't it.

Quote:
    987_Belgium said:
    i know, but when it comes to everything envolved in driving trafic and cars, i thing we must have the most dumb government in Europe.

A few weeks ago I saw the ex minister of trafic of Belgium, using his mobile phone behind his steering wheel, while it was him who invented the law in the first place. Says a lot don't it.

Well that's the drawback of the EU. All decisions are made in Brussels with the citizens of EU not having a say in anything. Bloody centralized power, feels like communism.

Quote:
    Emperor said:
    Quote:
    987_Belgium said:

Well that's the drawback of the EU. All decisions are made in Brussels with the citizens of EU not having a say in anything. Bloody centralized power, feels like communism.

This not a matter of democracy. Larger mirrors are for better visibility. Like many other features on automobiles and other machinery they are not a matter of visual taste but a matter of practicality.

BTW after this discussion here, I happened to see a new Fiat 500 outside my work with door mirrors big enough for a goods vehicle or a small bus!

In a Porsche, what's behind you does not matter....

(Of course I lift that line from Gumball Rally, and they were driving a Ferrari, but it applies just as well.... )

I have yet to see someone who likes the puddles... What were they thinking...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    In a Porsche, what's behind you does not matter....

(Of course I lift that line from Gumball Rally, and they were driving a Ferrari, but it applies just as well.... )

Great scene - one of Raul Julia's best roles...

"In a Porsche, what's behind you does not matter...."

Nice quote and justifies why Dumbo ears aren't needed.

I'm a fan of Europe (Continental as well as us islanders), but increasingly not so of the EU. They have destroyed the design of one of the most beautiful cars IMHO.

So will Ferraris have to have these silly Dumbo ears too?

I think we should get Clarkson on the case. He won't get anywhere but it would be amusing to see him try.

Sooner or later, somebody will publish statistics that draw a direct relationship between mandated size of mirrors, and pedestrian injuries/deaths caused by being struck by these mobile baseball bats, and the hyper-liberal-hand-wringing-communist-activists will campaign AGAINST mirrors altogether, favoring cameras and video monitors in-board at the base of the A-pillar....

Remember, you read it here first...

Quote:
    987_Belgium said:... A few weeks ago I saw the ex minister of trafic of Belgium, using his mobile phone behind his steering wheel, while it was him who invented the law in the first place. Says a lot don't it.

Politicians everywhere consider themselves exempt from the stupid laws they concoct. I say again... it's up to the citizenry to rise and throw out the bastards.

Quote:
    Emperor said:
    Quote:
    987_Belgium said:

The United States is the same way vis-a-vis the federal government in Washington DC, and the various state and local communities having to live under the one 'we know whats best for you' solution forced down our throats.

We had to live with that silly 55mph speed limit for almost 30 years because someone thought it was brilliant, though it may make sense in areas where congestion is common place, its silly on the wide open highways of the south or the midwest.

Thank goodness thats gone, but I already hear new calls for bringing it back 'to save fuel'. Because I cannot make a reasonable decision about how much fuel I want to burn, apparently.

Why doesn't this regulation apply to all cars? My friend got a new AM V8 - could hardly see out of the mirrors - he used to have a 987S and was shocked at the limited visibilty...

I imagine it might be volume based. I think I read somewhere Porsche is now regarded as a volume manufacturer (not sure what the threshold is - 50 or a 100k cars a year?) so they probably get hit with all this cr*p.

Hmph.

Re: 997 C2 and S (PDK) test drive this Sat - my views

Thank you for sharing with us your impressions. Appreciated.

However,your view of things is influenced by the question you posed yourself "is it worth changing my 997.1 with a 997.2 given the present residuals"? It is a logical sequence of thought but it doesn't help you eveluate the car objectively.

Because it doesn't make financial sense in your case to upgrade to a 997.2 you try to find other more objective reasons why you shouldn't, in order to justify a pre-taken decision.

Perhaps you're right. It's always easier to deconstruct someone else's thoughts than your own. However, in fairness to myself I did feel the upgrade wouldn't attract me as much even before they told me the residual, which I have to admit confirmed my view.

I might even change my mind if I test drove a manual - as I said the engine is bloody good, but I doubt it somehow. I think I also have a kind of "relationship" with my current car and I don't want to split up yet!

Quote:
    SonOfStig said:
    Perhaps you're right. It's always easier to deconstruct someone else's thoughts than your own. However, in fairness to myself I did feel the upgrade wouldn't attract me as much even before they told me the residual, which I have to admit confirmed my view.

I might even change my mind if I test drove a manual - as I said the engine is bloody good, but I doubt it somehow. I think I also have a kind of "relationship" with my current car and I don't want to split up yet!

I use a friend's 997.1 S manual often,and IMO the 997.2 manual I test drove (with LSD) is improved in many important areas like front suspension, power, refinement, clutch action and gearchange smoothness and accuracy.

However, if I had myself a well speced 997.1, I am not sure if I would be ready to trade it in as yet.

Damn, now you're making me think again!

What does your father think of the new 911?
    And has he had it around the Top Gear track yet?

On the mirrors, it looks like they are only bigger vertically, not horizontally, making them look more chubby.

The extra vertical dimensions lets you see more sky!!!

So that you can keep an eye out for flying traffic cops I presume.

Sorry I haven't been around - travelling (including Valencia F1 - nice place - *very* nice people - boring race though, in spite of some fun drifting by the Porsche Supercup cars).

Reginos, I think you have nailed it. I like my car, and don't see the need to replace it (yet).

Hi temm, well my dad has discussed testing the 997.2 with the Top Gear production team (telepathically of course, since he doesn't have a mouth). They are saying it is getting hard to persaude Porsche to lend them a 911 because Jeremy keeps calling them "Volkswagen Beetles", and they're worried that the new mirrors would support his view!

Hi Pink Panther: Yes the mirrors are only bigger vertically, and yes you only see them when you are driving. And yes, you only see more sky. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the previous mirrors - in my 997.1 I have better visibility than I did in my 3-series BMW! Very silly.

I think overall if I were to get a new car it would be a GT3 second hand as system_analysi has just done... awesome, awesome beast.

SoS.

Thanks SoS for your views. It's interesting to read them in the light of your earlier thoughts when we met up for a drive to Kimbolton. I think your existing 997 C2S is a wonderful car

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777956 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441983 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262919 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261156 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85405 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5681 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880830 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816374 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM