Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Clarkson on Porsche

Article on his Top Gear site, he does have taste!

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2008/08/stories/01/1.html

excerpt;

By rights, I should hate the 928. It was the first press test car I ever crashed. And I used one to go and see my dad the day before he died. I also disliked the dreadful ride quality in later models. And yet, even today, when one grumbles by, my head does the full Linda Blair. It is, I think, one of the best-looking cars ever made.

Re: Clarkson on Porsche

"The full Linda Blair". I love that. One of my favorite movies.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Article on his Top Gear site, he does have taste!

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2008/08/stories/01/1.html

excerpt;

By rights, I should hate the 928. It was the first press test car I ever crashed. And I used one to go and see my dad the day before he died. I also disliked the dreadful ride quality in later models. And yet, even today, when one grumbles by, my head does the full Linda Blair. It is, I think, one of the best-looking cars ever made.

hahaha, the man is a jester

So, to sum up, he doesn't buiy a car because he's afraid of what people might think of him. Or because of who drives porsches.

He lacks the self confidence to buy one of the best cars ever made.

The man is a clown and I watch him for entertainment value.

"And then they fitted flared wheel arches and a new four-cylinder 2.5-litre engine to create the 944. I wanted one of those so much I ached. In fact, if I were to draw up a list of the 10 best cars I've ever driven, the 944 turbo would certainly be included."

...I ache in the same way...

Well I think this article gives you more information on the writer than on the car. And that is what Clarkson is after, he is more important than the cars he is writing about.

"Well, yes, there was a time when a flat-nosed, guards red 911 with a whale tail spoiler was an automotive precursor to the imminent arrival of a twat."

So he doesn't like the car because it doesn't pull chicks like it used to?

Come on, I can't read that.
    I spend my vacation on French Riviera, love the Como lake in Italy, couple of other places on this planet.
    And I should avoid those spots, because George Clooney, Paris Hilton or whoever also likes those places and you can meet them there.
    I shouldn't like those places, because of what, because of a clown-girl Paris.
    I shouldn't like p-cars because of who, a cock or two.
    I don't like a guy because nobody likes him, yeah so i don't like him too.
    It really is that kind of primitive philosophy

Comm'on guys I think this is a great article! I do agree with him that the Porsche has lost a little bit of soul compared with other car rivals, or maybe has become more BMW. And I do agree that times change and they had to continue doing this for being independent. But, and as Clarkson says this is a big BUT, I will still buy any model made by the PORSCHE! (well except the cayenne and that because I'm not that rich to fil up the tank each 10km, and not blind)

Quote:
    ed_moree said:
    Comm'on guys I think this is a great article! I do agree with him that the Porsche has lost a little bit of soul compared with other car rivals, or maybe has become more BMW. And I do agree that times change and they had to continue doing this for being independent. But, and as Clarkson says this is a big BUT, I will still buy any model made by the PORSCHE! (well except the cayenne and that because I'm not that rich to fil up the tank each 10km, and not blind)

Thirty years ago you could build a car in any way you wanted without the need to abide to safety specifications and emission standards. All these regulations add size and weight and of course affect the purity of the driving experience.

Moreover, consumers demand more equipment like xenons, power seats, sound systems, navigation etc all with heavy hardware.

It is unthinkable now even in northern countries not to have climate control (100+kg?). Who had a/c at the time of the 2.7 RS or the 930 turbo?

I am sure if climate control and sound system were delete options on sporty GT3s, very few would pass them by for the sake of purity.

Rightly or wrongly today, because of people's changing tastes the showroom specification is more important than the race track ability.

Look at the latest Lotus Evora. It has moved nearer to the mainstream in an attempt to survive.
    Also the Ferrari california has acquired certain features that purists don't like, in order to widen its appeal.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    ed_moree said:

Thirty years ago you could build a car in any way you wanted without the need to abide to safety specifications and emission standards. All these regulations add size and weight and of course affect the purity of the driving experience.

Moreover, consumers demand more equipment like xenons, power seats, sound systems, navigation etc all with heavy hardware.

It is unthinkable now even in northern countries not to have climate control (100+kg?). Who had a/c at the time of the 2.7 RS or the 930 turbo?

I am sure if climate control and sound system were delete options on sporty GT3s, very few would pass them by for the sake of purity.

Rightly or wrongly today, because of people's changing tastes the showroom specification is more important than the race track ability.

Look at the latest Lotus Evora. It has moved nearer to the mainstream in an attempt to survive.
    Also the Ferrari california has acquired certain features that purists don't like, in order to widen its appeal.

totally agree!!

Quote:
    reginos said:

Xenons are OK; they do not weigh more and use less power. You can still order a car without power seats, upgraded stereos or navigation. All 3 should be avoided in a sports car.

Realistically, a 4 speaker stereo doesn't weigh much. I'd rather keep the stereo and delete the power windows. I'm not sure what PCM weighs, but I could live without that too. And those useless seat backs in the rear weigh a ton as well.

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Realistically, a 4 speaker stereo doesn't weigh much. I'd rather keep the stereo and delete the power windows. I'm not sure what PCM weighs, but I could live without that too. And those useless seat backs in the rear weigh a ton as well.

Seeing how it's a road car, I like all the creature comforts, thank you .

Quote:
    ADias said:

Same here, babble on about crap, thrash a few new cars around the track, tell me stuff i'll never have use for like how cute vauxhalls new people carrier is, 90% of cars are complete trash and these idiots glamorise trash!

Many times manufacturers give them a prototype cars to show off and they tell us it will never get manufactured what f****** use is that, it's pointless stuff.

It's not a motoring show, it's a comedy show and those are the comedians!

Quote:
    911digital said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:

Same here, babble on about crap, thrash a few new cars around the track, tell me stuff i'll never have use for like how cute vauxhalls new people carrier is, 90% of cars are complete trash and these idiots glamorise trash!

Many times manufacturers give them a prototype cars to show off and they tell us it will never get manufactured what f****** use is that, it's pointless stuff.

Yes, and sometimes he goes over the line of good taste. The last episode I saw he made a comment that could be construed as stereotypical and prejudicial (and I'm not a PC guy) when he addressed a guy in the audience. The situation was tense for a second or so when the guy in the audience almost reacted. Clarkson climbed up quickly from the hole he was getting into. So... he's more than a clown, he is also a jerk.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    911digital said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:

Yes, and sometimes he goes over the line of good taste. The last episode I saw he made a comment that could be construed as stereotypical and prejudicial (and I'm not a PC guy) when he addressed a guy in the audience. The situation was tense for a second or so when the guy in the audience almost reacted. Clarkson climbed up quickly from the hole he was getting into. So... he's more than a clown, he is also a jerk.

What happened?

I may have seen that, i'll have to route it out on the net, he sometimes says stupid comments, opens mouth before thinking....

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    911digital said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:

What happened?

Not much, if ADias was thinking of the incident I think he meant. JC made an offensive comment about a young guy in the studio audience when interviewing a comedienne, Jennifer Saunders, who had driven that show's lap of the airport circuit.

The camera went off the young guy's face as his lips were still puckering to pronounce an "F".

I only remember that because that show was repeated in a "Best of Top Gear" transmission last weekend.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    911digital said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:

What happened?

Not much, if ADias was thinking of the incident I think he meant. JC made an offensive comment about a young guy in the studio audience when interviewing a comedienne, Jennifer Saunders, who had driven that show's lap of the airport circuit.

The camera went off the young guy's face as his lips were still puckering to pronounce an "F".

I only remember that because that show was repeated in a "Best of Top Gear" transmission last weekend.

Ah that's another one. The one I referred to he looked at "foreign-looking" fellow in the audience and implied that given a chance he would steal the car on the floor, I guess stereotypically implying that he did not think the fellow would afford it and would that he would be the kind of guy who would steel it. The guy in the audience cringed and JC caught it and made some awkward back-pedaling.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    911digital said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:

What happened?

Ah that's another one. The one I referred to he looked at "foreign-looking" fellow in the audience and implied that given a chance he would steal the car on the floor, I guess stereotypically implying that he did not think the fellow would afford it and would that he would be the kind of guy who would steel it. The guy in the audience cringed and JC caught it and made some awkward back-pedaling.

That was a joke and while I can see why the guy would be offended, I personally wouldn't be. It all depends on one's sense of humor.

Quote:
    Crash said:

That was a joke and while I can see why the guy would be offended, I personally wouldn't be. It all depends on one's sense of humor.

Bad joke! The issue is that he offended a member of the audience. It does not matter if others in the audience, including yourself, were not offended - in fact, you should be.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Bad joke! The issue is that he offended a member of the audience. It does not matter if others in the audience, including yourself, were not offended - in fact, you should be.

Eh... would not be offended by that... and I don't think you should tell people what they should be offended by either. Just like I don't get offended by Asian bad driving jokes and laugh when people tell me I should be offended by being called Oriental and not Asian.

Top Gear has always been about comedy, joking, making fun of each other (and the audience)... world would be a better place if people lightened up and stopped trying to find things to get offended by all the time.

Quote:
    thuggy said:
    ........ people tell me I should be offended by being called Oriental and not Asian.

What's so offensive about the word "Oriental"?

Surely it is just derived from the French for "eastern"? Is it offensive to refer to the points of the compass?

Quote:
    thuggy said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Eh... would not be offended by that... and I don't think you should tell people what they should be offended by either. Just like I don't get offended by Asian bad driving jokes and laugh when people tell me I should be offended by being called Oriental and not Asian.

Top Gear has always been about comedy, joking, making fun of each other (and the audience)... world would be a better place if people lightened up and stopped trying to find things to get offended by all the time.

Hey... I was not offended. The guy in the audience clearly was.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    thuggy said:
    ........ people tell me I should be offended by being called Oriental and not Asian.

Surely it is just derived from the French for "eastern"? Is it offensive to refer to the points of the compass?

It is. Hence not meant to be offensive at all, just Euro-centric apparently versus "oriented" to North America. So when people get bent because of the use I laugh.

Quote:
    thuggy said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    thuggy said:

It is. Hence not meant to be offensive at all, just Euro-centric apparently versus "oriented" to North America. So when people get bent because of the use I laugh.

You pontificate on what people should not find offensive... and you consider 'Oriental' offensive... which I do not understand - I associate Oriental to someone of Eastern ascent as in Orient (East) and not to 'to orient' vb. See how things are people specific?

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    thuggy said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    thuggy said:

You pontificate on what people should not find offensive... and you consider 'Oriental' offensive... which I do not understand - I associate Oriental to someone of Eastern ascent as in Orient (East) and not to 'to orient' vb. See how things are people specific?

Nope, reread my posts, exact opposite, I think its funny that people tell me I should be offended when I'm not. It was an example in response to your post telling Crash "in fact, you should be." Capiche?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777186 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441684 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262777 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260944 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85216 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5568 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880651 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815930 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM