Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Gen 2 car Oil use !

Folks,

I have been keeping a close eye on the oil consumption of my FL 997. After about 350 mile it seems to have used i bar on the oil meter. Which acording to the manual is about .4ltr . I am going to take another measurement tonight.

Interestingly with gen 2 cars you can only measure the oil when the car is idling and the engine is warm.

Having never had a 997 variant before. What sort of oil do your cars burn. I know it will probably burn a little more oil during the first few thousand miles so i am not worried at this stage.

Cheers,

Chris

Re: Gen 2 car Oil use !

The oil measuring procedure is exactly the same as gen 1 cars then. I think that your oil consumption is fairly high, unless there was less oil in the engine from the beginning, but still enough to light up all bars, and then with just a little gone, you have a bar missing.
    This is a brand new engine range, so nobody knows what is the norm.

Interestingly,

Just talked to the dealer and the factory say up to a litre every 600 miles is ok

Quote:
    MarekN said:
    The oil measuring procedure is exactly the same as gen 1 cars then. I think that your oil consumption is fairly high, unless there was less oil in the engine from the beginning, but still enough to light up all bars, and then with just a little gone, you have a bar missing.
    This is a brand new engine range, so nobody knows what is the norm.

In the 1st generation 997s and in the 996s, the oil level is measured with the car off, not while idling. Only the Turbo, GT3, GT2 variants are measured with the car idling and at operating temperature.

Quote:
    cdixon said:
    Folks,

I have been keeping a close eye on the oil consumption of my FL 997. After about 350 mile it seems to have used i bar on the oil meter. Which acording to the manual is about .4ltr . I am going to take another measurement tonight.

Interestingly with gen 2 cars you can only measure the oil when the car is idling and the engine is warm.

Having never had a 997 variant before. What sort of oil do your cars burn. I know it will probably burn a little more oil during the first few thousand miles so i am not worried at this stage.

Cheers,

Chris

A bar can light up even with a little extra quantity, as there are marks for smaller denominations.

Follow up the situation before you draw definite conclusions.

However, Porsche always state a relatively high oil consumption in their manuals (up to 1 lt every 1000 km) which is never experienced in reality after the engine normalises.

Sorry, my answer was wrong because I have a GT3.

1 liter per thousand km is not ok, no matter what they say.

My 997S used a quart every thousand miles until I hit 25,000 miles and then it backed off to at least 1 quart per 6000 miles or better. I'm still waiting to see where that will end up. It took 25,000 miles to break in.

Dan

Quote:
    cdixon said:
    Folks,

Cheers,

Chris

The 997.1 uses the Euro blend Mobil 0W-40 synthetic. My advice on break in is to go by the manual, however, after a complete warm up (oil @ ^180 F.) I would give the enigne half to two-thirds throttle on occasion and bring the revs to the max. recommended for break in. After spirited runs let the engine decellerate on its own whichs allows it to cool better. A good scenario would be to accellerate up a hill within the break in parameters then let the engine cool on part of the descent. In other words don't baby her!

I have had two M3s and three 997s all of which ran hard with minimal oil consumption after break in.

Quote:
    MarekN said:
    Sorry, my answer was wrong because I have a GT3.

1 liter per thousand km is not ok, no matter what they say.

It's okay if it's a 2-stroke.

Quote:
    cdixon said:Interestingly with gen 2 cars you can only measure the oil when the car is idling and the engine is warm.

That is interesting, since that is the measurement technique only reserved for the dry sump engines (since 1965). Maybe this motor design really is closer to a dry sump than the former "Integrated Dry Sump" models...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    cdixon said:Interestingly with gen 2 cars you can only measure the oil when the car is idling and the engine is warm.

That is interesting, since that is the measurement technique only reserved for the dry sump engines (since 1965). Maybe this motor design really is closer to a dry sump than the former "Integrated Dry Sump" models...

Which is also how the turbo measurement is made.

Quote:
    MarekN said:
    ...1 liter per thousand km is not ok, no matter what they say.

couldn't agree more.

My first engine was a real oil burner and it turned out that this because of damage to the cylinder walls.

Porsche has a high threshold otherwise they'd be having to to repairs / replacements on lots of engines.

Quote:
    Ronnie said:
    Quote:
    MarekN said:

couldn't agree more.

My first engine was a real oil burner and it turned out that this because of damage to the cylinder walls.

Porsche has a high threshold otherwise they'd be having to to repairs / replacements on lots of engines.

IMO our friend cdixon shouldn't be alarmed by this type of horror stories and end up not enjoying his new car.

He has ample time to test everything on the car, keep an eye on oil consumption and anything else that might seem odd.
    Obviously if there is really a problem and things don't normalise with mileage he has his warranty.

Quote:
    cdixon said:
    Interestingly,

Just talked to the dealer and the factory say up to a litre every 600 miles is ok

Maybe its just me, but that doesn't seem good. Burning a quart of oil every 600 miles? What is that, every 2 gas refills, you need to put in a new quart of oil? That seems high.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    Ronnie said:
    Quote:
    MarekN said:

couldn't agree more.

IMO our friend cdixon shouldn't be alarmed by this type of horror stories and end up not enjoying his new car.

He has ample time to test everything on the car, keep an eye on oil consumption and anything else that might seem odd.
    Obviously if there is really a problem and things don't normalise with mileage he has his warranty.

Agreed i am on it and keeping a close eye...

I have had 6 Porsches now and they have all burnt a little oil. As has been stated before. The electronic system only deals in absolutes i.e. only has four bars on the display. If the car was not up to the top but had enough to light the top bar then it would drop quite quickly. Anyway i am going to top it up tomorrow and keep an eye on it.

Cheers,

Chris

Be careful adding oil - you do not want to overfill. Just add 0.5L, drive it for a few miles normally and check as recommended.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Be careful adding oil - you do not want to overfill. Just add 0.5L, drive it for a few miles normally and check as recommended.

Agreed...

What ever happened to the simple, analogue, highly accurate dipstick. Don't they have them on these cars anymore?

Seems like a false alarm folks !!!

Just went for a blast and then checked the oil... Back up on the top marker.

Cheers,

Chris

Oh, great. So now what your telling us is that the electronic oil level measurement system is highly unreliable..... just great, just great.

Quote:
    Minok said:
    Oh, great. So now what your telling us is that the electronic oil level measurement system is highly unreliable..... just great, just great.

Not unreliable, just not very precise. Due to the new design the measurement has to be done at idling and I'm sure it will have some dependence, on engine temp and idling time. I think that variations of +-1 bar are meaningless - each bar is 0.5L in a 10+L system.

I would be more concerned if one would always see 3 bars full as it might mean overfilling. If one is within the 1-3 bars all is well.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    Minok said:

Not unreliable, just not very precise. Due to the new design the measurement has to be done at idling and I'm sure it will have some dependence, on engine temp and idling time. I think that variations of +-1 bar are meaningless - each bar is 0.5L in a 10+L system.

I would be more concerned if one would always see 3 bars full as it might mean overfilling. If one is within the 1-3 bars all is well.

agreed 100%

My 997 4S Powerkit Engine only asked for 2 litres whithin 23'000 kilometres. I drove her quite hard during the break in period, after proper warming up and with a smooth cooling down of course. My former 997 4S asked for 1 litre every 3'000, whereas I didn't break it in myself.

Quote:
    cdixon said:
    Seems like a false alarm folks !!!

Just went for a blast and then checked the oil... Back up on the top marker.

Cheers,

Chris

Exactly the same thing happened to me last week with my new 997. I wish for a simple dipstick too, even though I have heard for various reasons it wont work with this oil tank setup.

Interesting! When I recently had my oil and filter changed on my gen 1 997S (a 2006 model), the dealer put in 10 quarts, not the 9 called for in the original owners manual (and what they used to add when changing the oil and filter). When I check the oil level - which must be checked with the engine off - it shows the level as being "overfilled." The dealer did not respond to my inquiry about the 10 quarts versus the 9 quarts that used to be the correct fill with a filter change. Also, the Porsche Club of America tech expert recently answered a question about oil fill levels stating that 10 quarts should do no harm.

So my question to Rennteamers is: has Porsche changed the specification for the amount of oil in the engine, and can't they fix - or reprogram - the oil level indicator?

Jim

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778959 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442194 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263072 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261345 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85586 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5783 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881047 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817302 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM