Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Need help with FL spec!

Hi guys, thanks for the earlier feedback on the PSE issue, but now I have a couple of questions regarding some other parts of the spec. I need to spec by this weekend so any help/comments will be appreciated.

1. Extended Nav - people say you should always include this, but I know I'm not going to use it as my TomTom is/will be more advanced. Also, I reckon if I sell the car 3/5 years down the line, it will be really outdated and effect on re-sale would be negliable.

2. Dynamic cornering lights - gimmick or important safety feature?

3. TPM - I'm thinking this is a good thing to have.

4. Wheel spacers - Are these just an asthetics thing? If so, do they make the car look squatter?

5. What are the best seats to have? I won't be tracking the car much, and would like something that would be comfortable for long distances.

6. LSD (or -20mm + LSD). Is this something worth getting, bearing in mind my earlier comment on mainly using the car for long distances? I'm guessing LSD might be a good safety feature to have whereas in combination with -20mm is something more for the track.

Apologies if some of this is a bit newbie! And oh yes, I'm going for Macadamia Metallic

Re: Need help with FL spec!

1. No opinion; it depends more on resale.

2. Get them in you drive at a lot at night and on winding country roads with little lighting.

3. Good thing because you get advance warning of slow punctures too with gradual loss of pressure that might otherwise catch you out in the wilderness.

4. The car looks good because the wheels are nearer to the edge of the wheel arches. Also wider track = better roadholding in the dry at least.

5. IMO get the standard seats with ventilation+heating and without the power movement. The backrest is always electrical anyway, which is the one that needs the finer adjustments. Get the power seat option only if several people drive the car and you need the driver memory function.

6. LSD is a must on a Porsche type car. Don't get -20mm if you only drive on public roads no matter how fast.

What I say above is from my experience and requirements of my car and my friends' cars and obviously anyone else might find me wrong and disagree.

Quote:
    shabab1978 said:
    Hi guys, thanks for the earlier feedback on the PSE issue, but now I have a couple of questions regarding some other parts of the spec. I need to spec by this weekend so any help/comments will be appreciated.

1. Extended Nav - people say you should always include this, but I know I'm not going to use it as my TomTom is/will be more advanced. Also, I reckon if I sell the car 3/5 years down the line, it will be really outdated and effect on re-sale would be negliable.

2. Dynamic cornering lights - gimmick or important safety feature?

3. TPM - I'm thinking this is a good thing to have.

4. Wheel spacers - Are these just an asthetics thing? If so, do they make the car look squatter?

5. What are the best seats to have? I won't be tracking the car much, and would like something that would be comfortable for long distances.

6. LSD (or -20mm + LSD). Is this something worth getting, bearing in mind my earlier comment on mainly using the car for long distances? I'm guessing LSD might be a good safety feature to have whereas in combination with -20mm is something more for the track.

Apologies if some of this is a bit newbie! And oh yes, I'm going for Macadamia Metallic

I might get TPM, considering your criteria. I personally like the spacers, although they can only be used with certain wheels; like the XRR for example. 5mm is not much at all, but with a discerning eye, they can add visual excitement. They will do little if anything for performance; certainly nothing measureable.

As far as the LSD, yes it is a great option, but consider that the NA 997 has not previously (2005-2008) had this option in the states. For the record, I will order this option, but I also like to corner hard. If money is not a concern then by all means go for it. LSD will enable you to corner better out of the those tight curves. I would not consider it a "safety feature".

In the states, the cars with the power seat option have a slightly better resale and appeal to a much broader audience. Besides, I am not fond of that big seat lever aside the seat. On a $100k car, I want power seats.

Go for the Sport Adaptive Seats, Sport Shifter, PSE and Sport Chrono.

Its really tough I set myself a limit and worked to that....

1. I got the Nav as it is integrated and touch screen on the gen 2. It is a must for resale.

2. I didn't bother with the cornering lights - the bixenons will be excellent and I felt the money was better spent elsewhere.

3. TPM - No experience - have not specced it - maybe a should.

4. Spacers ass aesthetic value - I have ordered the Carerra sport which come with 13mm spacers at the rear and 305mm tyres!!!

5. I've had standard seats previously and they are v comfy - have ordered sports seats for the extra clingyness which took out the decision re the seat ventilation - I probably wouldn't have it though - but have ordered heated seats and heated steerinmg wheel - this is England afterall!!

6. Diff lock and -20mm Yes Yes and Yes again - its Porsche's best suspension package why would you not want it? The extra drop as well looks amazing.

Good choice on the brown - lots of conflicting advice - but the decision is such an individual thing - I found it helped to set a budget (80K for a gen 2 C2S) then add the definates then see what you fancy! Are you going for PDK?

Call me old school, but I decided to go manual instead of PDK. I feel it will be a more involved drive for me personally.

SatNav - I guess I will grudgely spec this, even though I know I will never use it! Didin't consider the heated seats/steering, might have to have a re-think......

Seems like there is a difference of opinion on LSD only vs LSD + -20mm. I agree the -20mm improved the profile of the car, but isn't the ride going to be a back breaker for a 4-7 hour journey?

Quote:
    shabab1978 said:
    Call me old school, but I decided to go manual instead of PDK. I feel it will be a more involved drive for me personally.

SatNav - I guess I will grudgely spec this, even though I know I will never use it! Didin't consider the heated seats/steering, might have to have a re-think......

Seems like there is a difference of opinion on LSD only vs LSD + -20mm. I agree the -20mm improved the profile of the car, but isn't the ride going to be a back breaker for a 4-7 hour journey?

The manual I drove was also improved compared to 997.1. Stick more accurate and clutch action more smooth.

IMO for road use the normal -10mm PASM + LSD are more than adequate. If you go -20mm then on rough roads and in the city (bumps, manholes, broken pavement) you will feel it more. Of course it all depends on the quality of roads you drive on. And you know this better than us.

I live in London, and the roads are horrendous. My Alfa has a stiff suspension and as a result has a tendency to go sideways everytime I drive over a hole or bump!

Devo - you mentioned the sport shifter. I am considering this too but have read that it feels stiffer in the cold. Have to consider these things in the UK!

Here's my thoughts and how I spec'd my 09 Targa in the USA:

1) Extended Nav: must. With XM Navtraffic feeding flow and congestion data on top of the nav for the Seattle area, its a must. Until we see it in action, I cannot say if its better than aftermarket add on's - but the integration along is worth it. Normally I only need a decent map and some heads-up on issues on the road, so it will serve me fine. I don't use it to 'find a restaurant' on the fly. Its also critical for resale (as is Bluetooth in the US)

2) Dynamic Cornering Lights - YES. For where I drive with winding, climbing and dipping roads and lots of wildlife in the pacific northwest, and lots of trees, it is a good thing. The lights are good, but the dynamic lights do angle around the bend a bit and give you further visibility around a bend at night... and that could be critical in avoiding that deer or other critter whose life is saved and saves you from serious car body damage.

3) TPM - I think its standard in the USA. I'd get it anyway. not only to warn of slow leaks, but to remind ME when I need to re-air the tires to the proper pressure as I tend to forget the tires until they tread suffers damage from low pressure. This will remind me.

4) Wheel Spacers - NO. The 5mm ones are only visible to someone who is actively looking for it. To everyone else, as you drive along, I doubt they will be able to notice or go 'there is something different about that car'. It does add a small amount of benefit in tracking I imagine, but not something I need for a daily driver. I also don't want to deal with the hassle vis-a-vis the winter tires v summer tires, and the spacers.

5) I'd normally say, if its just you, go with the standard manual seats. Sports seats are too narrow in the shoulders for me, and I want the ventilation for summer driving. However, even though its only me driving, I want the fully adjustable electric seats because I'm tired of constantly having to reset my car seat every time I take my car in for service. The mechanics are always shorter than me and I have to spend time adjusting the seats back.. .so with the power seats with memory, one button press brings it back to where I want.

6) LSD - Comes standard with the Targa 4, so I cannot comment beyond I'd probably get it anyway... but haven't thought about it much.

Quote:
    shabab1978 said:
    I live in London, and the roads are horrendous. My Alfa has a stiff suspension and as a result has a tendency to go sideways everytime I drive over a hole or bump!

Devo - you mentioned the sport shifter. I am considering this too but have read that it feels stiffer in the cold. Have to consider these things in the UK!

Once the car has warmed up, I'm sure that the shifter will be great, no matter how cold the ambient temp. is. I have had both and would never go without the SS if I had the choice. I had to convince Stradale to get it in his tt Cab. The last I knew he was very happy that he did. He was very resistant at first.

On the spacers, anything that brings the wheels closer to the leading edge of the fenders is good, no matter how many people say that no one will notice. If you enjoy looking at your car while parked at home/garage, wherever, get them.

macademia looks lovely - saw it at silverstone - unusual but very nice (which i am suprised to say!)

1. Extended Nav? No. Use an iPhone

2. Dynamic cornering lights? No

3. TPM? Yes.

4. Wheel spacers? No. Poseur item.

5. What are the best seats to have? Standard manual. Power seats are too slow moving for my taste.

6. LSD (or -20mm + LSD)? Maybe. Not essential.

Quote:
    shabab1978 said:

The times you will derive joy from your PASM -20mm on the road are very infrequent compared to the times you wished your car was smoother riding.

Agree 100% unless you have money to burn. I have nav on my lexus RX350. It's wonderful and fully integrated with the car, but I only got it because I got a huge discount on the vehicle. I'd also recommend an iPhone or TomTom, Garmin, etc. The automotive design cycles are very long and the in-vehicle nav will be outdated very soon. The portable nav guys are able to innovate and launch new hardware products every few months whereas you're stuck with what you have and only get software updates. Again, if money is no issue the Porsche nave is likely fine, but not at the top of my priority list.

What do you need to update hardware wise on the nav? The new ones have GPS, hard drive operated, and can get data feeds over XM (in the US). The screen is nice sized. All the rest is software. What I need from a nav is an accurate map (roads where roads are, and the names right; I give up on having good street signs in the USA).. and I cannot imagine how the add-on /external nav guys can provide anything that I would use that cannot be duplicated in a Porsche software patch.

If there is, or you have ideas, please, let me know now, so I might change my mind about the integrated nav system in my Oct09 build.

wish they had speedcams or points of interest major flaw for me

Quote:
    2. Dynamic cornering lights? No

You've never hit a deer, apparently.

An absolute MUST if you're going to drive country roads at night. They are a life-saver.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    shabab1978 said:

The times you will derive joy from your PASM -20mm on the road are very infrequent compared to the times you wished your car was smoother riding.

I always drove my 997S in sport mode and couldn't stand the normal mode. Considering that the SPASM will also have a normal mode I would think it would be fine. If I go with the 997.2 I would definately get this option.

Quote:
    Minok said:
    What do you need to update hardware wise on the nav? The new ones have GPS, hard drive operated, and can get data feeds over XM (in the US). The screen is nice sized. All the rest is software. What I need from a nav is an accurate map (roads where roads are, and the names right; I give up on
    having good street signs in the USA).. and I cannot imagine how the add-on /external nav guys can provide anything that I would use that cannot be duplicated in a Porsche software patch.

If there is, or you have ideas, please, let me know now, so I might change my mind about the integrated nav system in my Oct09 build.

I think the biggest change we'll see to mobile navigation is improved input methods, namely free speech recognition. Free in this context means a wide range of words and sentences can be spoken and the system will interpret and respond appropriately. Today's systems can recognize discrete words or simple sentences. I expect in-car electronics to advance rapidly over the next 5 years and get much closer to free speech recognition. This requires more CPU power, better microphone arrays, better acoustic echo cancellation, etc. One other aspect is display technology - there are dozens of LCD / thin film technologies on the horizon such as OLED and others that promise brighter screens, higher resolutions, higher contrast, better daylight visibility, lower power, etc. We'll see OLED integrated into these devices when it's available mainstream (it's on on niche products now). Again, today's NAV units are great if you have the money, but I'm thinking long term on my 997.2 purchase and I want to buy an upgraded NAV every few years to take advantage of the new technology. Well, that and I frickin' resent the fact that auto OEMs charge $2000+ for $500 worth of technology

Thanks all for your help, I went in yesterday and spec'd it out.

Macadamia Metallic
    Cocoa interior
    Manual with Sport Shifter
    LSD
    Extended Nav - works better than I expected
    Phone Module
    Bose with Ipod dock
    TPM
    Standard seats with heating.

Thats it! I'm done thinking/stressing/fretting/agonising about the spec! Now comes the 3 month countdown.....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    813471 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    453124 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    273247 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    92108 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    9651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

891886 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    852209 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM