Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Impressions from the 6h VLN race

Some impressions from the 6h endurance race at the Ring (VLN series) last Saturday (season highlight except for the 24h race): very exciting race due to the typical Eifel weather.
    Race was declared as a wet race (no change of tires allowed after taking positions in the starting grid), hence a bit of a tire poker due to the changing weather conditions.
    The teams who played the slick card were the winners - approximately 40 cars (out of 203) re-entered the pitlane after the introduction lap in order to grab slicks...caused quite some traffic congestion in the pits

Pic 1: before the race - checking the set up

Re: Impressions from the 6h VLN race

not much longer in "N"

the beasts getting ready to leave the pitlane

the later winner - once more

Lambo in a hurry

Now for the big drama: exciting fight between Manthey and Land - lap after lap... Actually the Land-Porsche took the lead later in the race and gained 32 sec over the Manthey - very impressive But then... Stuck jr. lost the car and suffered a nasty high speed crash on the GP-circuit Stuck was flown to the hospital, but is o.k. except for some minor injuries (Porsches are well built after all )

Some spectators brought some nice toys also: CGT in Sealgrey/Ascot Brown looks amazing

the fans hate the new FIA fences

that's what they look like - shot from Pflanzgarten
    Also note the wrong decoration of the fence

the Raptor has eaten the right front tire

Ouch Some hot blooded Italians overcooking it at Brünnchen

the weather drama continues: while a heavy shower came down on the GP-circuit the sun was shining over NoS
    It's even hard to recognize the car model in this kind of spray

Of course the boys kept fighting - most of them stayed on slicks during this period of the race as 80% of the circuit was dry. Rather tricky A friend who watched the cars at Hatzenbach during the rainy period said that some cars were sliding around even at 30 km/h only

another one

Some ended up in the wet gravel - no way out without the help of the tractor

Only 133 cars (out of 203) made it to the finish line. Good to know that at least one Rennteamer was amongst them
    Manthey took it all again - they overlapped all cars except P 2 (would have needed another 2 laps or so to do this)

Yup a great and particular entertaining race this time but also again with lots of bent metal. My second race on the track and the first where faced with rain. The track is challenging as is but to do it in the rain or on slicks in the wet is a whole different world. That said I actually drove only in dry conditions leaving the wet (by chance) to my teammates. We almost did not finish as my fuel pump broke down in the last lap, forcing me to be toed into Pflanzgarten. But luckily I got the car going again and was able to limp home to formally finish!!

As stated by P-J, the brief rain showers made it tricky with the tire choice. When the second rain came a bunch of cars were surprised by the sudden standing water and crashed spectacularly. In particular Brünchen and Döttingerhöhe proved to be dicey. My teammate who was on his in lamp at the time said it was really scary to see alone 10 cars on the Döttingerhöhe crash out in the space of 20 seconds and a few miles of tarmac. One lap later slics were the right tire choice again...Amazing how fast the conditions change. One second the track is dry, and behind the next corner you can then face standing water...

As we will never win anything we were just happy to finish and bring the car back in one piece!!

Hve been there too. Watching my brother driving.
    It was a very good race. And the sound of the viper or corvette was awesome.

Quote:
    TEE1 said:
    we were just happy to finish and bring the car back in one piece!!

..which is a great achievement on its own under such conditions - congrats on finishing the race and thanks for your report, TEE1
    As for the numerous accidents at Döttinger Höhe: I heard the probs became even worse after the first crashes because a lot of oil mixed with the water
    Even on Sunday morning the track wasn't cleaned up again - especially the Bergwerk corner was very dirty (looked like after a cross country race ).
    Hope to cu in September After the race is before the race...

Superb photos Porsche-Jeck Looks like you had a really memorable day out Cheers

This is real hard-core racing at its best IMO.

Unlike, the cold soup that Mr.B.Ecklestone is serving us.

Very well said Reginos Of course the top teams like Manthey or Land are burning big $$$$ also, but the majority of the teams are formed by race fanatics loving the sport The only thing which worries me a bit is the ever increasing speed gap between the top-cars and the slowest cars

Great action photos Porsche-Jeck, thanks for sharing

PJ,

waiting for the day when you join the race. Considering your activity at and around the NS and surrounding tracks I wouldn't be surprised seeing you drive a Clio... off public roads.

The battle at front in VLN seems to be very close and tense, considering that it has been Stuck's second serious accident in the Land-Porsche in his rather short career so far I wonder if the step from rather modestly-powered vehicles to one of the raceleaders hasn't been one season to early. That was at least my thought when Land's lineup at the beginning of the season was announced.

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    The only thing which worries me a bit is the ever increasing speed gap between the top-cars and the slowest cars

I agree. It's not only the speedgap itself but the rather diminishing safety margins at the top, something even some of their contenders admitted in recent past. From my point of view, the amount and significance of accidents of the leading teams in recent years have increased.

Thanks for the post PJ, nice pic's. That's some real racing there, I love that stuff!

Yup the speed differentials are getting out of hand. They are working to slow down the fast cars for next year...

If you for one second forget to look you suddenly have a P car next you. Happend to me on my last lap %-)

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    PJ,

waiting for the day when you join the race.

Yes, Ferdie - I'm already dreaming of that day
    You may be right re Stuck jr. - reminds me a bit of Hamilton: very fast guy, but some "unforced errors".

@ TEE1: a buddy (who also commenced the madness by having fun with his 987S during the Touri-days and some track days ) joined the VLN this year (Honda S2000). He said to me if he learned one thing during his first races, then it's to learn how to let the lightning fast guys pass him.... I guess even the yellow lights and the automatic 15x flash light doesn't help always

I recall such a situation from a public day when the Edo-Porsche did some fast laps - out of the blue he was next to me at Adenauer Forst and I swear I didn't spot him beforehand at Fuchsröhre

My first few laps I actively tried to get out of the way. But now I stick to my line, particular in corners. The fast guys will drive around you in a hurry anyway. The key thing for them is that you are predictable. That said you sometimes get caught up in the moment and then you forget to check your mirrors. Before you know if they are next to you...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    813374 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    453097 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    273214 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    92091 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    9538 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

891839 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    851553 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM